np: ORAS UU Stage 3.1 - Sex on Fire [Victini Remains BL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
As announced before, we are suspecting Victini this round. Victini is a fearsome wallbreaker that can threaten with high-powered V-creates and backs it up with great coverage. There's been some changes since Victini was last in the tier, so this test is to see whether or not it will negatively affect the tier.

The suspect test will have an N value of 20 and a COIL requirement of 2650. It will last 2 weeks from the date this thread is posted.

You can calculate the number of games required using this formula:

N=20.0/log2(40*GXE/2650)

Song: Sex on Fire

The Immortal

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
A W E S O M E

I've been wanting a reason to start using physically defensive Ampharos again all the time and Entei wasn't enough. Shame my favorite team from the old Victini meta is 6-0ed by Mamoswine lol

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
mence will help check this, so they may have to start running glaciate. This will be interesting, might take part in it :)

As I am player who has not experienced the previous Victini meta, I am definitely excited to see the results. Awesome!

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Can't wait to start playing the Suspect ladder to see some of the cool sets. I'm prepared to see a bunch of Bulky Salamences, Arcanines, and Dugtrios just for Victini. From playing just a couple practice games with some friends, I'm thinking the LO set will be the best, due to it's ability to switch moves after the check comes in on V-Create (mostly Swampert/BulkMence), but after that being able to KO the check with Energy Ball/Glaciate, respectively. Still on the fence whether this monster will be banned or not, but this will be a fun suspect test for sure.

Well, besides running a devoted anti-Tini team, after a bit of thought I've decided that this suspect test will definitely add some spice to the tier. I forgot how boring a stable meta could be at times. Can't wait to try out Tini for possibly my first time (refused to run him back in my day)

Last edited:
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your Honchkrows ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

I'll see whether or not people just keep spamming V-create or if they try to adapt at all, but I'll probably be running both Salamence and Tyrantrum on a team regardless. Hyper Offense go go go.

Echoing what Shiba said, I am prepared to see Intimidate Salamence/Arcanine defensive Tyrantrum and Sash Dugtrio to try to soft check this monster. I can't wait to mess around with this beast in the ladder with a Life Orb to deal ridiculous amounts of damage to the tier. After Mence, Tyrantrum, Arcanine, and Duggy, I don't see many things getting in it's way so it'll be fun to see what the ladder has in store for it.

p2

Banned deucer.
I don't play a lot of UU at all (but I have been trying to get into it lately), but Victini sounds like a great mon to bring back to the tier. The meta is just more offensive than it was before, which actually seems to give Victini a harder time, because it just can't spam V-Create as much due to an increased usage of Pursuit, where a -1 drop just seems to put it in OHKO range even from unboosted Pursuits.
On paper it just looks to be a high risk high reward mon because any misplays with v-create just kills it and it has Bulkier Dragons like Mence or Tyrantrum to check it aswell and a bunch of the ORAS megas seem to be pretty reliable at revenge killing it as long as it isn't scarfed.

I haven't been playing uu much but I've noticed that Victini nearly guarantees a kill every time it safely switches in. If it switches in, it's going to severely cripple or KO most Pokemon and there's very little opposing players can do about it. It's not unstoppable, like other mon's there are some pokemon that can check it. But, the handful of pokemon that can handle Victini are destroyed by one of its coverage options. The best way to stop Victini is to outspeed it or revenge kill it. I don't think uu should allow a pokemon that can 2HKO most of the tier to stay, if the intention is to create a balanced metagame.

I haven't been playing uu much but I've noticed that Victini nearly guarantees a kill every time it safely switches in. If it switches in, it's going to severely cripple or KO most Pokemon and there's very little opposing players can do about it. It's not unstoppable, like other mon's there are some pokemon that can check it. But, the handful of pokemon that can handle Victini are destroyed by one of its coverage options. The best way to stop Victini is to outspeed it or revenge kill it. I don't think uu should allow a pokemon that can 2HKO most of the tier to stay, if the intention is to create a balanced metagame.
Actually, there are a few pokes who can take repeated hits, namely arcanine and salamence. And it has a good amount of checks so it's not as bad as you may think. Just pack a few of these on your team should be golden. Tini is not the monster it used to be...in fact, I think I'll stick with entei for the most part if I want an offensive fire type

I'm quite interested to see what this test has in store. CB sets are actually quite inferior to LO coverage sets, since Krook / Pursuit Aero / some Honch will be everywhere and on those kinds of teams clicking CB V-Create means death, along with the idea that mence/gatr/megapert can setup rain or DD on a CB V-Create. On the contrary, LO sets have a plethora of moves to run, and if it runs the right coverage there is very little in the tier that can actually switch in and safely dodge a 2HKO. IMO this suspect test will feature a lot of very offensive teams, since balance/stall cores have a lot of trouble trying to beat this thing without exerting constant offensive pressure, or carrying a solid Pursuit trapper to keep Victini in check. Dugtrio stall used to be a thing way back in the day (I remember someone making a semistall team when the pink core was still around that featured Dugtrio to trap a lot of pokemon, Victini included.) However, LO / ebelt Victini definitely has to "pick its counters", so to speak. On those sets, V-Create is mandatory (unless you want to run full special with Blue Flare, but that will be extremely rare IMO), Grass Knot / Energy Ball is mandatory for not losing to Swampert, and most Victini with this set will run Glaciate to deal with Salamence, as it easily 2hkos even the most bulky versions of Salamence. The last slot is a choice; Thunder hits bulky waters that can take Grass Knot extremely hard and ensures that they will always be 2HKOd after switching in, something that GK/Eball can't guarantee on water-types like Vaporeon. Psychic/Psyshock can be used for nice neutral coverage and killing Tentacruel/Qwilfish and being able to kill Nidoqueen without having to click V-Create. U-Turn is good for mostly Expert Belt sets that just want momentum and figure that ice/fire/grass coverage is probably good enough, while LO sets may even run Focus Blast in that slot to murder Hydreigon that tries to switch in on a predicted grass-type attack. I can also see Victini using a Scarf set since it means it can pass up non-sash dugtrios or dugtrio whose sash has been broken by SR, assuming it hasn't clicked V-Create yet, and serves as an extremely powerful revenge killer. I haven't decided whether Victini is banworthy yet, honestly, but the one conclusion I can draw is that Victini will probably cause a dramatic shift in playstyles if it is dropped down; stall is hard enough to use as it is, and if Victini is reintroduced even Balance will become extremely difficult to use correctly because of its wallbreaking prowess.

Actually, there are a few pokes who can take repeated hits, namely arcanine and salamence. And it has a good amount of checks so it's not as bad as you may think. Just pack a few of these on your team should be golden. Tini is not the monster it used to be...in fact, I think I'll stick with entei for the most part if I want an offensive fire type
haha I did sound a little dramatic and may have exaggerated but the points are valid. The pokemon you've mentioned are shaky checks, considering Victini is capable of running more than one set. Arcanine is worn down easily from repeated hits / hazard damage and salamence is destroyed by special / mixed moveset. Victini doesn't have to 2HKO or KO everything, it's actually pretty good at weakening most things to make it easier for its teammates to pick apart the opposing team, it's still a monster.

rob said:
haha I did sound a little dramatic and may have exaggerated but the points are valid. The pokemon you've mentioned are shaky checks, considering Victini is capable of running more than one set. Arcanine is worn down easily from repeated hits / hazard damage and salamence is destroyed by special / mixed moveset. Victini doesn't have to 2HKO or KO everything, it's actually pretty good at weakening most things to make it easier for its teammates to pick apart the opposing team, it's still a monster.
I agree, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any checks to it. After V-create and I'm pretty sure even without it, any unboosted Pursuit user revenge kills it. This is a Pokemon designed for hyper offense, not speed or bulk. It has a horrible defensive typing, being weak to Water, Rock, Ground, Ghost and Dark. Considering Meggron, Megpert and Megtiose are everywhere, this Pokemon isn't a problem for UU. This suspect test actually reminds me of when Deoxys-D was UU. Those were days were good. My point is this Pokemon isn't broken. It's actually quite balanced. Another thing that can suprisingly revenge kill it if it's foolish enough to stay in is Lucario. A base 110 Attack E-Speed OKHOs after -1 Defense.

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The thing with Victini is that there is no many switch ins like a few mons on the tier as well so i dont think is broken at all, and there is a couple mons that can check choice Tini without issues, there is fast mons to revenge it, pursuit trappers, Dugtrio etc. So first thought about it is is just a great mon, pd: i didnt play UU in Victini era .

LilOu

PO poopyhead
I mean, yeah, you can check Victini easily. If it's Scarf/Band, then there are counters for it, but it's the Mixed set, then it's a matter of keeping a fast paced game and not losing your momentum + making predictions. I'm not concerned about Victini, I'm concerned about the fact that 1 more HUGE threat has joined the killsquad and now the tier will lose its balance (this is just my opinion). Now we just don't have to worry about having answers to Hydreigon, Mega Aero, Mega Pidgeot or Feraligatr, but we need something to deal with Victini, and let me tell you, Victini shits on whatever tries to come into those mentioned threats. All this kind of pushes me towards going stally/balanced when making teams, as I subconsciously try to have switchins to everything, but that ain't gonna work because of the offensive pressure this new meta will get. So we can just hope for going offense vs. offense all over the ladder and having just checks to the top tier mons and, as I said earlier, start to make plays and predictions, keeping momentum and well, to be honest, just don't be bad.

Natural Talent

Don't die trying to live..
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
It's safe to say that Victini will be pretty fun. probably gonna see a bunch of bulky waters and electric resists or immunities. Has a little to no switch its from what i have tested with friends. I'd probably say mixed victini will be a huge threat having enough coverage to ko "counter" like fat mence with glaciate. Then standard band will be amazing as expected. I'll just see how it plays to make my choice of ban or no ban.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Really interesting, with new additions such as Salamence and Feraligatr, it could keep it in check. I am worried though that if its allowed, will I always need a Flash Fire user, or fire resist on my team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)