1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

np: RU Stage 10 - Deja Vu [See posts 47 and 48 for votes!]

Discussion in 'BW RU' started by Oglemi, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kniteowl

kniteowl

Hidden Power Grass hits Eviolite Rhydon on it's weaker Special Defensive side 4 time super effectively.

Otherwise it would counter you. I guess Toxic works too but taking down their physical wall allowing Entei to deal with the rest of their team is pretty nice.

You could run Iron Head instead for Rhydon but it doesn't 2HKO and Rhydon OHKOs you back with Stab Earthquake but there's always the chance of hax flinching Rhydon but 30% is pretty unreliable.
  2. Honko

Honko
    is a Programmeris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Do not run Iron Head. Ever.

I always ran HP Grass with Life Orb because it actually OHKOes Kabutops, Omastar, and offensive Rhydon. With CB or Flame Plate or Leftovers, they can all survive, so I'd usually rather run Toxic or WoW.
  3. HuntSaboteur

HuntSaboteur

Oh look who's back from the dead.

And I don'tlisten to Molk. (Everyone, use Metang. Not because I recommend it, but because he doesn't)

Anyway, serious stuff. Does HP Grass take out the other 4x-weak threats, such as Quagsire, wich has a hard time dealing with Toxic? I use Life Orb anyway. Choice items are overrated on any Pokemon that doesn't have a base 120 STAB and 110+ attack. (Entei just about fits that qualification, but CB Flare Blitz is too risky in a tier full of water and rock types)

Also, special Entei. Does it have a niche whatsoever? I suppose its main advantage is the element of surprise. People send their physical wall or Omastar or something in, it Subs, starts to CM, and by the time the sub fades it's HP Grass time (or even better, Solarbeam on sun teams).

By the way, has anyone else noticed an increase in rain team usage?
  4. Bigblue

Bigblue

Another option I have tried a few times is to run will o wisp because things like rhydon and kabutops will want to come in and then they will be severely crippled.
  5. HuntSaboteur

HuntSaboteur

BB has a point, burn is arguably a worse status condition than toxic poison seeing as much of RU is composed of physical attackers and the only burn-resistant one is Entei itself (hence the spike in Entei usage when Sableye was around)
  6. Silvershadow234

Silvershadow234 :]]]]]
    Mentor

HP Grass is probably the best option, since even a dead Kabutops is better than a live one-same goes for Rhydon. Will-O-Wisp is an interesting choice, but HP Grass just does better at eliminating his counters
  7. HuntSaboteur

HuntSaboteur

Silvershadow, I regret saying that about Rotom. I take it back. As soon as I said it, it spiked in popularity to about 2nd or 3rd. And Ice attacks also say hello. And it's HuntSaboteur, with an o.
  8. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Yea, HP Grass is the best option; sure a CB Entei may not OHKO Kabutops or Rhydon with it, but they wont be switching into CB Entei anymore! Wisp could miss, and Toxic takes way too long to wear them down.

I personally dislike LO on Entei. LO recoil + FBlitz recoil just adds up quickly. There's also a notable loss in power that can prevent Entei from 2-shotting Lanturn with Flare Blitz or revenge-killing with ExtremeSpeed. Weak Armor Kabutops is actually threatened to be 3HKOed by CB ExtremeSpeed thanks to the defense drops, so it's not exactly safe for setting up Swords Dance, either, haha.
  9. /B/utterfree

/B/utterfree

Bug is not weak to Ice. Some Bug-types happen to be weak to Ice on account of being part-Grass or part-Flying, but mono-Bugs are not in any way weak to Ice-type attacks. In fact, mono-Bugs are only weak against Fire, Flying, and Rock-type attacks. A couple of Bug-types in RU and NU are x4 weak to Stealth Rock. Dealing with them using Stone Edge is actually optimal compared to other types of attacks thusly.

Mind, I tried to get Vespiquen to RU stat relevance on account of her tankiness some time ago (Yanmega, Volcarona, and other higher-tier Pokes have x4 weaknesses to Rock-type attacks, and Stealth Rock thusly, and are still some of the best Pokemon in the game - true story).I might have to make a Vespiquen-based team again to prove her mightiness, especially since she partners well with Kabutops. Everything about Vespiquen is great outside of her Stealth Rock troubles, which is something also shared by Moltres, who is still one of the best Pokemon in RU, and Scyther, one of the few now-NFEs I considered back in Gen IV and would consider if I was forced to run a NFE in RU.

As far as the RU metagame is concerned, underestimating Pokes with a x4 weakness to Stealth Rock is just silly.

/inb4 "/B/utterfree Logic" comics
  10. HuntSaboteur

HuntSaboteur

Moltres proves that last bit.
  11. Boingo

Boingo

I'm curious if anyone is using anything interesting to deal with Moltres. I feel that outside of Nidoqueen, Moltres restricts my teambuilding the most because there are so few things that can take more than 2 hits from it (It's also because I'm not the greatest teambuilder, but yeah).

Slowking and Lanturn are the big ones, but I'm kinda bored with them (plus Lanturn is more fun to use in OU). I tried Grumpig, and while it was great except for no recovery, I still feel like the options are very limited.
  12. Endorfins

Endorfins Your Worst Nightmare
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Yeah, Moltres is a huge threat in this Metagame. The best way I believe to deal with Moltres is setting up rocks and not using stuff like Escavalier who invites Moltres to switch in. Most teams with Moltres have a spinner so having Pokemon such as Lilligant and Rotom-c who can take advantage of Kabutops will stop Moltres from repeatedly switching in and causing havoc.
  13. Yamato Damashi

Yamato Damashi

If anything, the most important Moltres counter (apart from Lanturn for the specific purpose) is a spinblocker, preferably Spiritomb, thanks to the aforementioned threat of Stealth Rock. (2HKO without any damage. Still being viable after that is a testament to Moltres's power) Otherwise, Flame Charge Entei might work if you can manage to lure in Moltres (switching it in is a big mistake), although HP Grass is superior for the Kabutops lure-in.

Consistent Volt Switches from Rotom-C could also work, as it lures in Moltres with its Fire-weakness, Volt Switches, and you can then bring in Lanturn or Speed-invested Kabutops or something else that resists both Fire and Flying.
  14. Tenchinage

Tenchinage

uh, Yamato, remember that to utilise that tactic you need a Pokemon that can take the hit after the Volt Switch happens. And Lanturn gets Volt Switch. The closest you could get is by using a defensive core of Lanturn and Probopass, the latter purely because it resists Hurricane and has an excellent Special Defence. The two keep Volt Switching. Continue until the opponent is sensible enough to switch out Moltres. And then you have the choice of who to switch in.
  15. /B/utterfree

/B/utterfree

DittoCrow has kindly asked me to partake more in-depth in regards to RU. So that shall be my task for this month. I can hopefully prove Dusknoir is a decent Pokemon in its own right, among other amusing/annoying schemes that I conjure for RU every month.
  16. blarajan

blarajan holla ladies #£14000 #bling #sparkle #bitchesonmydick
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Little Cup Co-Leader

As tiering leader, I decree: LET THERE BE SMASHPASS
  17. /B/utterfree

/B/utterfree

Let's see...

if SmashPass fails to not be bonkers broken, two-three Pokemon can be banned instead and all will be harmonious in RU/NU without so much as a care; I don't think anyone will miss Gorebyss/Huntail/Smeargle.

On the other hand, I don't want to take the risk of seemingly-unnecessary (re)-bans; however I will let blarajan's judgment not be objected as I'd love to laugh at how it winds up making RU more fun to play in. Also, it might allow for more TLC-Approved Comics, which sparks more creativity in RU.

Note that this is the only part of the adolescent "FREE EVERYTHING" phase I tolerate that isn't "FREE SOMALIA" or "FREE PERMANENT WEATHER IN UU".
  18. SHUCKLE MAN

SHUCKLE MAN

For what it's worth, I agree with this.
  19. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Anybody knows a good lead that has an advantageous match-up against most SR setters? I'm asking this, because I re-visited my Moltres team, and the biggest flaw was how easy I allow SR to go up on my side; thus my search for a way to prevent rocks from going up easily.

Common SR setters include Smeargle, Uxie, Druddigon, Nidoqueen, Aerodactyl, and Steelix. Currently playing around with Jynx, since it can threaten Druddi, Nido, and Steelix with Ice Beam & Focus Blast, while it can Taunt Smeargle and Uxie from doing anything. It's probably impossible to Aerodactyl from setting up Rocks other than Prankster Taunt Whimsicott lol or random Magic Coats, so I can live with spinning off rocks once Aero is knocked out. It would be interesting to know what other options there are to make lives for these SR mons harder :d
  20. lars

lars

Jynx sounds like a pretty good "anti hazard" lead especially considering you have a sleep move at your disposal.

I usually just start off with hazards of my own (accelgor or aero) or with a choice scarf scout. If you think you can pressure the opponent early, then your hazards are going to be better than theirs. Scouts are good because if the opponent is using a hazard setter that your spinner can beat, then you can just jump right to them.

I think it's relatively hard to prevent hazards from being set up in RU (especially SR due to the importance and fairly widespread access to it for walls) however they aren't especially difficult to get rid of because Kabutops and Cryogonal can beat a good deal of spin blockers if you play them right.

Perhaps this sounds like a reactionary playstyle (which is seldom desirable), but if you can use the turn(s) that your opponent takes for hazards to make more important strategic advances then they are, spinning later might be better overall.

In terms of just one Pokemon... I briefly used a Primeape with Taunt/Encore, U-turn, Close Combat and Stone Edge for awhile that in theory was decent at stopping hazards or at least gaining you extra momentum (maybe a bit hit or miss in practice). It also has a bit of extra utility to combat stall. (Honestly your Jynx probably sounds better as an offensive lead)
  21. /B/utterfree

/B/utterfree

Whimsicott is likely your best bet in terms of a stall-y anti-lead. Prankster Taunt really is good, and Whimsi herself forces switches in various ways.

However, for those who do not like the Cotton Ball Pokemon, one can just use a speedy offensive Pokemon to quickly gain the momentum. As mentioned earlier by other people, Pokes like Jynx and Lilligant are appropriate for this because they have a Sleep move and can set up on the switch as well, then sweep before the opponent can appropriately react. Some also have Taunt, and will normally be faster than the SR hazards (gdi Aerodactyl).
  22. SilentVerse

SilentVerse Into the New World
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Past SPL Winner

Alright, the votes are in! Omicron has not voted yet, but since the results have already been decided, Oglemi and I have decided to just post the votes so we can get the ball rolling on this. I will add Omicron's votes here once he's submitted them.

Cresselia:

So, with a unanimous 7-0 vote to retest, the RU Senate has decided that Cresselia will be given a retest!
  23. SilentVerse

SilentVerse Into the New World
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Past SPL Winner

Durant:

With a close 5-2 vote to retest, the Senate has decided that Durant will be given a retest!

Thanks everyone for getting your votes in so promptly! A new np thread will be up shortly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)