Metagame NP: RU Stage 10: Your Makeup is Terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss234

bop.
Moth is obviously very good atm, I like the sub / sleep / buzz / qd set the best. Roost is cool too but sub has so much utility against slower squads vs. pkmn like mola. Plus sub + sleep is an easy strategy to exploit since there's a good chance you can get a boost and a free sub. My main ways of dealing with veno are sleep talk mega steelix and fletchinder - both are good in general in this metagame since steelix helps cover electrics and tyrantrum while fletchinder is a useful scrafty and virizion check as well as being a threatening late game sweeper. As for stall, I think it still works. Venomoth is a pain and certain scrafty variants can do a lot of damage but these can be played around. I often run a pursuit user on stall, normally houndoom or sneasel. Pursuit gives you a good answer vs. stuff like meloetta, sigilyph and delphox which are all major threats to stall. They aren't full proof answers but at least then you don't have to run smthing like spdef meloetta which can be easy to wear down and vulnerable to pursuit itself. Full on stall with 6 walls is pretty difficult to run but semi-stall or w/e it's called now is pretty good from what I've seen still.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Full stall is certainly viable.

I'm running spdef Golbat / Steelix mega / alomomola / poliwrath rest talk / spdef meloetta / amoonguss

which basically covers all the threats in ru at least once with all my utility moves/slots still (defog, wish, heal bell, grounded poison, etc.)

I have another version of this team where I use spdef tentacool and tangrowth over poliwrath and amoonguss which gives more utility moves basically for less overall bulk.

The biggest problem with my team is how weak Meloetta is to pursuit/dugtrio which is bad since she counters things like Cm sigi for me. Also I'm medicham weak in team one.

Overall I'm pleased with the first version still and I don't agree with the idea that stall is unviable.

phantom

Banned deucer.
Sub moth is like the easiest variant to check; I think it's inferior to the LO set and only has minor application in dodging random Thunder Waves and junk. With LO, Venomoth is still useful vs offense even if isn't guaranteed to sweep due to a fast scarfer / fletchinder waiting in the back b/c it can sleep something, then just click one of sludge bomb / bug buzz and 2hko everything. When running a sub set, not only are you kinda mandated to not use LO, but running Bug Buzz as your only attack and without the LO boost makes it a little too easy to check for my tastes. In addition, Roost moth can actually beat specific checks like Twave Registeel as long a you get to +2 and don't incur too much parahax. So unless you're really scared of status or something, LO moth with 2 atks or Roost is better 90% of the time imo.

So with August almost being over, we should be getting news of what could quick drop or rise, so going off of that, let's see what could drop, which is probably nothing, with the closest thing to dropping is still far up. However if usage stays around the same for the next months, we have 3 potential drops to shake up the tier in these 3.
61 | Goodra | 3.931%
63 | Haxorus | 3.562%
64 | Cloyster | 3.537%

All remain just hovering above the 3.41% cutoff, but with their usage pretty low compared to previous months, the chances of these dropping are apparent.

Goodra is the least likely to drop, always being popular among newer players, and for good reason. Huge SpD, good abilities, amazing coverage, 110 SpA, along with other things. My prediction would be that people focus more on its defenses and let it stay, before finding out how amazing its offensive potential is.

Haxorus would probably be suspected after a few days, and it can't be too hard to see why, 147 attack with a great set-up move and Dragon typing, however Mega Steelix would only grow in usage even more to deal with it, though SD Superpower would probably gain some usage then to kill it.

Cloyster is the most likely to drop and most likely to stay in the tier, with Fighting types being so popular, and Jellicent would probably spike back up in usage dealing with it. Still could be suspected thanks to new-toy syndrome and people not knowing how to pressure it, but probably won't be banned once people learn how to deal with it.

Back onto Venomoth, I am liking the SP+QD 2 attack set, steel types are super popular, so not being completely walled by them is nice.

Venomoth @ Insect Plate
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Sludge Bomb
- Bug Buzz

This is the spread I am using, enough speed to outspeed scarf Tyrantrum iirc at +1, and Insect Plate so you can 2HKO Mega Steelix at +1 with Bug Buzz without dying to LO+Heavy Slam. Probably not the best, and pretty cool if Steel types are a problem.

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Sub lets you fish for longer sleep turns. Otherwise, I've found it's only especially useful versus Amoonguss, Alomomola, Aromatisse, Togetic, choice-locked fighting types, and mons choice locked into fairy moves (like scarf Delphox revenging Scrafty). It was pretty good when Venomoth first dropped in, but I think people realized that these mons (especially Amoonguss now that people are super prepared for sleep moves) have gotten worse because most also lose to sludge bomb Veno.

I also think sub is useful with dual screens/memento support but that's true for every sweeper with greater than like 60/60/60 bulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)