Metagame NP: RU Stage 6: Heavy Metal and Reflective (ALL 3 SUSPECTS BANNED, DISCUSSING POST BANS META NOW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miridy

♩_♩
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
It's nice to know that Cresselia didn't make the cut by a little amount (or maybe not?).
Anyways, with Gligar out of the way, Pangoro lost one of its reason to use Ice Punch, Gunk Shot on SD sets while inaccurate gives him a way to quickly deal with Aromatisse and Slurpuff/Whimsicott switch ins, while its power isn't on par with Dragalge, it's still pretty terrifying, definitely a Suspect candidate.

So I've gotten around 15 games in with Medicham, and collected some preliminary thoughts on it. For the record I used a wallbreaking set w/ Adamant Life Orb HJK/Zen Headbutt/Fire Punch/Bullet Punch. I haven't gotten around to using Choice Scarf, but that's probably really good too. Still, with all the slow, bulky mons in RU, it can wreck pretty easily.

-Medicham's LO HJK is significantly stronger than Hitmonlee's, and is comparable to Reckless Choice Band Emboar's Flare Blitz, allowing for almost unrivaled wallbreaking power. For example, it has a chance of OHKOing sdef Alomomola after SR, which is pretty insane
-The lack of Knock Off is more than made up by its access to a secondary STAB, which allows it to cleanly OHKO/2HKO traditional Fighting-type checks like Amoonguss, Golbat, Aromatisse, and Weezing. Even Granbull cannot switch into it more than once
-Fire Punch is able to 2HKO Spiritomb, as well as Doublade after 1 layer of spikes
-The only reliable switch-ins to this are Reuniclus, Cresselia, and max/max Slowking (AV is 2HKOed by HJK). However, Medicham has the room to run Thunder Punch to deal with the latter (especially since all of the moves it can use in its last slot are very situational), and Pursuit trapping can easily turn the former two into a 2HKO.
-Bullet Punch is a pretty shitty move in RU, since most offensive mons resist it, but it deals a crapton to Slurpuff, if your team is weak to it. Fake Out, on the other hand, can do chip damage to offensive mons, such as ensuring Choice Scarf Moltres cannot switch into SR a second time. If both of these don't appeal, Thunder Punch is probably the best option to deal with CM Slowking.

The effects of the suspect meta can still be felt, since the tier is still pretty bulky, but with the rise of four slow and extremely hard hitting Fighting-types, I predict offense to rise, since balance and stall are pretty easily crushed lol.

phantom

Banned deucer.
i kinda dislike how this meta is turning out. gligar leaving was worse than i imagined because it held the tier together the tier to such an extraordinary extent, much more than i thought it did. after playing some matches with friends and laddering some, ru just seems ridiculously hazard centric now. gligar did more than just removing hazards, it also discouraged the use of many spikes user, t-spikes mons, etc; it was the necessary repellent that was keeping hazards from being overwhelming. just recently, i played a match with double01 and the game was decided by who's psn type died first and whether the one remaining could get up just one layer of t-spikes. hazard removal in the tier as it stands is either unreliable (rapid spin, defog shiftry) or just plain bad (golbat, togetic). i'm not really proposing anything considering it's just the first few days, but these are my thoughts as of now.

Anyways, with Gligar out of the way, Pangoro lost one of its reason to use Ice Punch, Gunk Shot on SD sets while inaccurate gives him a way to quickly deal with Aromatisse and Slurpuff/Whimsicott switch ins,
+2 252+ Atk Pangoro Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aromatisse: 328-386 (80.7 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
SD sets can run Poison Jab pretty reliably tbh. And between being a monster wall breaker if Banded or a stall breaker if SD Lum(some now say Roseli Berry?) it definitely is suspect-worthy as even in a meta with its biggest(and broken) check Mega-Pidgeot it had 4th usage overall(not huge deal but all 3 above it are gone which says something). Pangoro is definitely next on the RU suspect test chopping block especially as now its liberated from needing Ice Punch so SD sets can make do with 3 attacks and Banded sets can use a wild card move now.

(rapid spin, defog shiftry) or just plain bad (golbat, togetic). i'm not really proposing anything considering it's just the first few days, but these are my thoughts as of now.
I agree Gligar was an amazing hazard setter/remover but Golbat IS good(handles 2/3 suspects and a plethora move in the tier). Skuntank is also in the tier and a great utility mon that also handles Cresselia making it good in this meta. So its not like shiftry is the only defogger or we need to rapid spin. More exists. Also NEVER used but Braviary gets Defog and scares defog so maybe that element could be played up more now that hazard removers took a hit in quality. But taking a hit does not equate them to useless by a longshot.

+2 252+ Atk Pangoro Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aromatisse: 328-386 (80.7 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
SD sets can run Poison Jab pretty reliably tbh. And between being a monster wall breaker if Banded or a stall breaker if SD Lum(some now say Roseli Berry?) it definitely is suspect-worthy as even in a meta with its biggest(and broken) check Mega-Pidgeot it had 4th usage overall(not huge deal but all 3 above it are gone which says something). Pangoro is definitely next on the RU suspect test chopping block especially as now its liberated from needing Ice Punch so SD sets can make do with 3 attacks and Banded sets can use a wild card move now.
Why poison jab when there's gunk shot?I would much rather get a guaranteed ko, no?

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
Why poison jab when there's gunk shot?I would much rather get a guaranteed ko, no?
What Sysbit was trying to say is that instead of relying on something that can be as accurate as shooting an arrow to hit a target from 100km away, SD sets can now utilise Poison Jab to neuter potential switch ins more reliably. It's really preferential in the end because if you are the type that likes power over accuracy, then Gunk Shot is definitely better. Personally, I think Gunk Shot or Iron Head is better because you don't have to rely on SD to 2HKO but that's me of course.

Also, isn't Jolly Panda the better set to run so that you can outrun most walls in the tier.

"It has been announced that the Johto Starters are to be distributed this year with their Hidden Abilities. From February 27th 2015 to November 30th 2015, if you access Pokémon Bank, you will receive Meganium, Typhlosion and Feraligatr with their Hidden Abilities of Leaf Guard, Flash Fire and Sheer Force respectively. These are distributed through the Pokémon Link feature nto Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire with a limit of 1 of each per Pokémon Bank"

Get ready for Sheer Force Gator.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
"It has been announced that the Johto Starters are to be distributed this year with their Hidden Abilities. From February 27th 2015 to November 30th 2015, if you access Pokémon Bank, you will receive Meganium, Typhlosion and Feraligatr with their Hidden Abilities of Leaf Guard, Flash Fire and Sheer Force respectively. These are distributed through the Pokémon Link feature nto Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire with a limit of 1 of each per Pokémon Bank"

Get ready for Sheer Force Gator.
Oh my shit it's over.

This thing has already been proven to be a threat in RU (as well as top tier in NU) so we'll be stealing that realllllly fucking quick.

Also, isn't Jolly Panda the better set to run so that you can outrun most walls in the tier.
Jolly isn't needed as much in some cases. Both Jolly and Adamant are viable. Adamant was needed more when Gligar(Ohko after rocks if Banded Iron Fist Ice Punch) was a thing but still is used more than Jolly.

QueenOfLuvdiscs

Tier 3 Audino sub
are we forgetting about the lord gatr set? Agility Special Gatr

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Scald
- Agility

Speed investemt is to outspeed scarf'd base 90s at +2
It's a set that gonna completely catch people off guard and can be used late game to clean up easy. Pair it with mons that can beat Slowking/Alo/Aroma and you're gonna be good to go :]

So which moves will be used on Feraligatr? Waterfall, Ice Punch, Crunch, Superpower (no SF boost thought) and maybe Iron Tail?

Don't forget Flash Fire Typhlosion which will help check Moltres/Delphox.
252+ SpA Moltres Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Typhlosion: 220-259 (74 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Odd definition of a check.
252 SpA Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Moltres: 123-146 (38.3 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Even odder still as you don't kill it back.

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love

Eo g8r with sheer force waterfall is now possible!

Jaiho

bandy legged troll
are we forgetting about the lord gatr set? Agility Special Gatr

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Scald
- Agility

Speed investemt is to outspeed scarf'd base 90s at +2
It's a set that gonna completely catch people off guard and can be used late game to clean up easy. Pair it with mons that can beat Slowking/Alo/Aroma and you're gonna be good to go :]
what is this beating that this:

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

cannot?

tehy

Banned deucer.
you since you didn't bother to prepare for it

...so this isn't just a 1 liner post...

Feraligatr is going to be scary as hell. I have phys.D alomo, the question is if that will be enough (i.e. inbe4 SubDD).
(filler generic statement)

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Amoonguss: 356-421 (82.4 - 97.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 221-263 (54.8 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tangrowth: 296-351 (73.4 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Amoonguss Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 168-198 (54 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Tangrowth Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 204-242 (65.5 - 77.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Tangrowth Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 282-332 (90.6 - 106.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

(generic calcs)

actually this guy really is scary now that I come to think. Nothing generic about this any more

(generic disclaimer and ending line)

So which moves will be used on Feraligatr? Waterfall, Ice Punch, Crunch, Superpower (no SF boost thought) and maybe Iron Tail?
Waterfall, Ice Punch and crunch would pretty much manhandles everything in the tier. Maybe earthquake for lanturn but the three aforementioned moves would be enough in most cases probably

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Rock Slide would be better for SF Gatr since it can easily smash Mantine and Pelipper with it; Crunch doesn't offer anything anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)