Metagame np: Stage 1 - We Might Be Dead By Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Now that kabu is here, is there any reason to run something other than rain?
I know I've mentioned it before, but Kabu / Uxie / Ludi / Gore / Filler / Filler combines the best two strategies at the moment- Rain and Smashpass. I could see it getting out of control rather quickly. we'll have to wait and see though.

Also, FUCK YOU TOMB, GOOD RIDDANCE :]
So many things just shot up in viability just from the sheer presence of tomb not being here anymore. I know punch already made a list [which didn't include Malamar, smh] but seriously Spiritomb was starting to have an Aegisalsh factor about it - it single-handedly determined whether things were viable or not just due to typing alone.. I'm super glad to see it gone!

also super glad to see spike stack take a huge hit in the loss of both Omastar and the best spinblocker. Spike stack is super lame and even though we still have crustle, it at least isn't as mindless as it once was.

Very happy by the tier shifts this month! now just give us mawile..

These tier shifts have made the game more exciting. As Spiritomb is gone Mesprit and Xatu can roam free and Mismagius and Rotom can be used at their very best.
It is very obvious that rain teams are going to be a big threat so I thought of an Anti-Rain core that might work.
Tangela walls Feraligatr and Kabutops for days | Mantine handles Gorebyss and Ludicolo

Mantine @ Leftovers

Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Air Slash
- Defog
- Haze

Tangela @ Eviolite

Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Sleep Powder

Rhydon @ Eviolite

Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Megahorn

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK SPIRITOMB I AM SO HAPPY

brb editing my RMT, crying irl, and making mono-psychic teams
Liepard, Pawniard, and Scyther will fuk ur shit up tho.

As for the spinners, there is still one minor roadblock ahead of them. No, not necessarily a Ghost (I was preparing a niche Foul Play Misdreavus to handle Cryo and Sandslash but Kabutops dropping blew that idea out the water), but instead, Ferroseed will likely be the premier Spiker (or hazard setter in general) of the tier since Iron Barbs can discourage spinning attempts in a way, and Ferroseed has the STAB and typing to fight back against Cryo and Kabutops; I know Tops gets Superpower and all but that would take up a valuable moveslot that Tops may not have space for, such as Knock Off against Gourgeist. Sandslash may still see use since it can blast Ferroseed with +2 EQs before it succumbs to Ferro's attacks. Heck, maybe Torkoal can see a new lease in life as a possibly effective spinner; it can spin much more easily against Ferroseed, while still handling Ghosts with its WoW immunity + Shell Smash.

Basically, spinblocking in NU is much, much harder to do now (funnily enough, a direct contrast to BW NU starving for effective spinners). Stall teams relying on hazard stacking will be heavily weakened, and the only effective hazard teams will be those that can keep up enough offensive pressure to overwhelm the (hopefully) damaged spinners before they can spin.

Liepard, Pawniard, and Scyther will fuk ur shit up tho.

As for the spinners, there is still one minor roadblock ahead of them. No, not necessarily a Ghost (I was preparing a niche Foul Play Misdreavus to handle Cryo and Sandslash but Kabutops dropping blew that idea out the water), but instead, Ferroseed will likely be the premier Spiker (or hazard setter in general) of the tier since Iron Barbs can discourage spinning attempt in a way, and Ferroseed has the STAB and typing to fight back against Cryo and Kabutops; I know Tops gets Superpower and all but that would take up a valuable moveslot that Tops may not have space for, such as Knock Off against Gourgeist. Sandslash may still see use since it can blast Ferroseed with +2 EQs before it succumbs to Ferro's attacks. Heck, maybe Torkoal can see a new lease in life as a possibly effective spinner; it can spin much more easily against Ferroseed, while still handling Ghosts with its WoW immunity + Shell Smash.

Basically, spinblocking in NU is much, much harder to do now (funnily enough, a direct contrast to BW NU starving for effective spinners). Stall teams relying on hazard stacking will be heavily weakened, and the only effective hazard teams will be those that can keep up enough offensive pressure to overwhelm the (hopefully) damaged spinners before they can spin.
Yeah I was kidding :P

You're right though. Traditional means of spinblocking might be dead, but this certainly doesn't mean that preventing hazard removal as a whole is dead. We'll probably see hyper offensive teams prevent spinning mostly through offensive pressure, never giving a free turn to opposing Cryogonal, Sandslash, Kabutops, etc. When they do get a chance to spin, their choices will likely be to spin and die or spin and give the hyper offensive team the chance to set up, which are both arguably worse than not being able to spin at all. Mismagius, Haunter, and Rotom will definitely still have their places on hyper offense, however, as despite being unable to guarantee that the opponent will never be able to spin, they can still pressure the opponent into attacking rather than spinning whether they end up coming in or not. And even if you do bring these Pokemon in against spinners and they die, sometimes sacrificing a Pokemon for a momentum swing back into your favor and a guarantee that hazards aren't going anywhere can be more valuable than having another Pokemon alive.

Of course, all of this might be in vein, and we might not see a hazard-centric metagame now that we lost Omastar. But we do still have great hazard setters, so this remains to be seen.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
One Pokemon I think will be a great spin blocker is Gourgeist-Small. Unfortunately it can not beat Cryogonal one on one, but it can stop a lot of the current spinners pretty decently.

upload_2014-9-2_10-5-59.png
upload_2014-9-2_10-6-0.png

AFROBULL'S REIGN STARTS NOW!

No but seriously now with Tomb gone AfroBull's Sub SD set practically destroys stall and balanced teams. Not to mention that the CB reckless set practically 2HKO's the entire metagame and is bulk enough to do damage to even the most offensive of teams. Seriously guys start using this mon, with tomb gone there's no reason it should be recieving PU-esque usage stats

Spiritomb's gone? Probably was the best pokemon in the tier, but I don't really want to edit my team. Meh, I'll get around to it.

I'm not looking forward to the rain spam. Cryoganal is going to see a boost due to freeze dry and rapid spin. I am glad that spike stacking is weaknened, since spin blocking is so much more difficult now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)