np: UU Stage 2 - Uptown Funk You Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Credit to aim for this amazing art

Because Salamence, Pinsir, Heracross and Terrakion are gonna Funk this tier up.

First and foremost, hey guys, welcome to UU if you are new, we're the best lower tier on Smogon so you've made a great choice if you want to join a community.

As for policy, we're going to be doing things the same as always, voting potentially broken Pokemon to BL and reintroducing them one at a time into the UU metagame to decide whether or not they are broken. With that being said, as a request from the community Mega-Pinsir will be quick banned, the rest will remain for a couple of the days while we playtest the new tier and have a preliminary vote on whether or not any of the drops (or even other mons in the tier) are potentially broken.

Mega Pinsir sets itself as one of the strongest and most devastating sweepers to ever be introduced into the UU tier. Coming down from its supremacy in OU where it was nearly suspect tested there, Mega Pinsir combines ridiculous offensive stats, Aerilate, Flying and Fighting/Ground type coverage, STAB Flying priority and Swords Dance to give it almost 0 defensive or offensive answers. It is also not like Crawdaunt or Bisharp in that it still boasts 105 base Speed, a benchmark that means it outspeeds offensive Pokemon such as Krookodile, Nidos, Shaymin, Flygon, Entei and Hydreigon. Mega Pinsir is without a doubt too powerful for UU, and with the reasoning above is why it is being quickbanned from the UU metagame.

If Koko wants to add anything else to this he will but I think that's all that needs to be mentioned for now.

Hope you all enjoy the new UU for now and yeah, stay classy frens :]

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Heracross is going to cause the usage of Crobat and Gligar to go up and bulky Water-types to go down. Salamence will also be a fun sweeper to play with and Terrakion is lol

I only posted that because I want to say it matches my avatar

Edit: first :)

Didn't name it "Great Cave Offensive" (because beetles, a lizard, and Rock-types, plus Hyper Offense is gonna be king), Dead Space 3/10.

But besides that, I really don't think bulky waters will fall that much. At least, not until Terrakion also goes. Salamence is still 4x weak to Ice Beam, you guys. My head was hurting so goddamn hard reading all of these "Boy, Salamence sure will easily be able to set up on all of these Pokemon that have historically carried Ice Beam to deal with powerful sweeping Dragons," posts. Moreover, offensive Water-types will work well in tandem with Heracross to break Gligar. It's funny that Starmie leaves when Heracross would have fucking loved for it to stick around.

Terrakion does, in fairness, have a few viable checks in the tier, particularly Chesnaught, Gligar, and defensive Nidoqueen (maybe Granbull too I didn't calc it), but I don't expect it to be sticking around.

Mence and Heracross are exciting additions to the tier, the latter in particular is a really cool bulky water switch-in. I'm sure most Mence on the ladder will be various offensive sets but bulky defog sounds like a really cool, unique thing to play with. I'm hoping the exploitable typing and "just good" speed tier hold it back enough to let it stick around this time.

I'm disappointed by the move-ups, though; Jirachi I'm indifferent about but Celebi and Starmie were two really great 'mons for UU and I felt like they were just hitting their stride in the past few months with sets like WP Pass Celebi and bulky Starmie as a fire check popping up. They'll be missed.

As a complete newcomer to the tier still undecided on whether they want to play it; question, is Heracronite allowed or is it still BL like before it moved to OU?

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
WE WILL SEE THE RISE OF SLURPUFF!!! But forreal, it's #1 revenger, scarf rachi is gone and a whole host of potentially choiced fighting types just came into the tier alongside a dragon that loves clicking Outrage. Gonna be fun!

I'm honestly happy with Heracross being back in the tier. It's mostly because it is one my favorite Pokemon, but I'm certain it won't be broken without its mega evolution. Heracross has a bunch of checks and counters that can fit in most playstyles, such as Gligar, Nidoqueen, Florges, Aromatisse, defensive Salamanece (this set is so good, oml), Crobat, physically defensive Arcanine, etc. Not saying it isn't going to be a threat tho, the SD set is going to be a huge against slow teams, but not much worse than Pokemon like Lucario, and Scarf sets will be great against offensive, but playing around resistances is doable and its Speed makes it extremely revenge killable (If you are using offense, relying on revenge killing some stuff isn't that much of an issue, as long as your team is well built).

Terrakion is going to be absurd. The least threatening set is the Taunt / SR set, very easy to play around it and lacks the power to break through good defensive cores. The Terrakion sets that worry me are CB and SD sets (3 attacks SD, Dual Dance, and Sub Salac). The CB set has the potential to 2HKO a huge portion of the metagame with its STABs. SD Life Orb lacks the initial power, but after a boost only the sturdiest physical walls avoid the OHKO and some of them can't KO in retaliation [0 Atk Gligar Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 186-222 (57.5 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO]. Dual Dance and Sub Salac can only run its STAB as coverage, which makes Nidoqueen a problem!!!, but they are both extremely threatening to both defensive and offensive teams. Also, Choice Scarf Terrakion is going to be great revenge killer.

I'm so glad Salamence is back in UU. DD and Mix Mence are going to be great, that's a given. Defensive Salamence is going to be a great asset to some teams, thanks to its ability to beat some top threats such as Darmanitan, Scarf Mienshao, Heracross, Beedrill, Celebi, Honchkrow (-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Salamence: 153-183 (38.8 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO), etc. And as a fan of HO in UU, I'm ready to use Scarf Moxie Mence as a cleaner :).

Not sure how to feel about Jirachi leaving. Getting flinched to death was annoying, but Jirachi was the glue of so many teams and it helped players keep many top threats in check. My Dual Dance Haxorus + BD Slurpurr team is much better now, so that's nice I guess.

PS: Fuck Mega Pinsir

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
its fucking bullshit that terrakion dropped, moreso mega birdbug

like how much realer can shiny new toy syndrome get
not much considering both megas have been banned :^)

---

these drops might get me back into UU. i remember a time when i ran heracross on almost every team of mine due to how good it was. Mence is also looking pretty cool. iirc it was one of the more controversial BLs, so seeing it stay this time around might be interesting to see.

also cant wait to fuck shit up with rak before "lol pls ban 3op5me" starts. it seems like it could stay, given the amount of checks it seems to have down here (nidos, doublade, ches, hippo, donphan, physdef cune). not gonna make an opinion untill i actually start playing again, but based on theorymon alone i could see rak potentially staying. keyword potentially.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
WE WILL SEE THE RISE OF SLURPUFF!!! But forreal, it's #1 revenger, scarf rachi is gone and a whole host of potentially choiced fighting types just came into the tier alongside a dragon that loves clicking Outrage. Gonna be fun!
SD Mega Absol + BD Slurpuff is actually a pretty legit Hyper Offense core

its fucking bullshit that terrakion dropped, moreso mega birdbug

like how much realer can shiny new toy syndrome get
As much as I love Terrakion, it really did get hit hard by ORAS, sadly. Its Stealth Rock lead set used to be one of its best sets (if not the best Terrakion set), and it struggles a lot more now that it has to contend with Mega Sableye (and even Mega Diancie to a lesser extent). Mega Lopunny, Mega Diancie, Mega Sceptile, Mega Gallade, and Mega Metagross can all outspeed and KO, bulkier Mega Altaria sets can take its hits and KO, Mega Slowbro just laughs at it, the occasional Mega Swampert on Rain teams breezes past it, Contrary Serperior is a new non-Mega check...well, I think you get the idea. I think it has less to do with the new toy syndrome and more to do with the fact that Terrakion matches up so poorly against many of the new threats introduced in ORAS.

That said, this thing will probably be pretty ridiculous in UU, but I don't play much UU anyway so what do I know, lol.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm of the opinion that Heracross might actually fit in nicely in this tier. There are still plenty of checks to its scarf and banded sets, and now scald needs to be more carefully used which is always a bonus. I can see it settling nicely alongside the S/A rank mons in the tier, although this is just my early projection.

Ive heard alot of talk about bulk mence, can someone mind posting the set with explanation n stuff?

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ive heard alot of talk about bulk mence, can someone mind posting the set with explanation n stuff?
Something along the lines of

Salamence @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Roar / Toxic / Earthquake
- Roost
- Defog

On the one hand, I really like Terrakion and am sad at how hard ORAS hit it and want to be able to use it. On the other hand it's cray cray in UU and should probably be kicked upstairs as soon as possible. On an invisible third hand I'm happy I can spam it while it's still here as its SD set powers through everything in the tier.

I don't know the exact set off the top of my head, but it involves Roost/Wish, Defog, and some attacking moves. With significant physical bulk investment it's not a half-bad Fighting/Fire check.

EDIT to below so I don't spam too much: Heracross was solidly UU before Heracronite pulled him up, I'm not worried about him leaving at all.

Last edited:
Terrakion is pretty terrifying and probably too good for the tier, but way less of a threat overall than Mega Pinsir was. That quick ban could not come quick enough.

The introducton of fairies is where I feel Mence fell from grace. Although as powerful as ever, it should settle in to UU just fine.

Touching on King UU's points: the true, lasting gift UU recieved was regular old Hera imo. I think/hope it falls just short of being unhealthy for the tier. It's nice bulk, okay speed and raw power bolstered further by Guts create a powerful, much needed balancing force against bulky waters and stall. I've never been a fan of Scarf Moxie personally, but it's sure to be a powerful option as a late game cleaner. I can honestly see Hera being a top tier threat just like before it rose out last time.

As an added perk, having Hera back means I can build a viable Tailwind offense team again.

It's surreal how a pokemon like M-Pinsir can drop due to usage and get quick banned altogether in 12 hours.

Looking at the current UU viability rankings, is there anything that can safely switch into a Terrakion (assuming not choiced)? Gligar seems very obvious, and Cresselia makes sense as well, but for teams that don't run either of the two is it possible to play around? The rock/fighting STAB is just so potent in this metagame that I don't see many answers to it besides the previous mentioned.

For those wondering who can beat Terrakion, I made a list to solve such question. Pokemon sorted by their viability.

Suicune = Has a very high chance of winning vs Scarf and LO, but loses to Band.
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 192-226 (47.5 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 127-151 (31.4 - 37.3%) -- 83.4% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 165-196 (40.8 - 48.5%) -- 9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. -2 0 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 348-410 (107.7 - 126.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

M-Aggron = Can win if Terrakion is LO, always win vs. Scarf, but again loses to Band.
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 168-199 (48.8 - 57.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 148-175 (43 - 50.8%) -- 47.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 114-135 (33.1 - 39.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

0 Atk Mega Aggron Earthquake vs. -2 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 418-494 (129.4 - 152.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Nidqueen = Has a chance to win vs. Scarf, but always loses to LO and Band.
252 Atk Terrakion Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Nidoqueen: 172-204 (44.9 - 53.2%) -- 26.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Nidoqueen: 224-265 (58.4 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Nidoqueen: 260-306 (67.8 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

0 SpA Sheer Force Nidoqueen Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 218-258 (67.4 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Swampert = Wins Vs. Scarf, has a very low chance to win vs. LO, and always loses to Band.
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 151-178 (37.6 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 196-231 (48.8 - 57.6%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 226-267 (56.3 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

16 Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. -2 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 518-612 (160.3 - 189.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Tentacruel = Loses vs. every variation of Terrakion.
252 Atk Terrakion Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 244+ Def Tentacruel: 206-244 (57 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 244+ Def Tentacruel: 268-317 (74.2 - 87.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 244+ Def Tentacruel: 308-364 (85.3 - 100.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

0 SpA Tentacruel Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 156-186 (48.2 - 57.5%) -- 89.5% chance to 2HKO

Chesnaught = Wins Vs. LO and Scarf, but has a very low chance of beating band.
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 123-145 (32.3 - 38.1%) -- 48.8% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 160-188 (42.1 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 184-217 (48.4 - 57.1%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

4 Atk Chesnaught Wood Hammer vs. -2 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 600-708 (185.7 - 219.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Cresselia = While it can take two from Terrakion, it can't OHKO back, thus losing to it upon switch in.
252 Atk Terrakion X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 112-132 (25.2 - 29.7%) -- 90.5% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 146-172 (32.8 - 38.7%) -- 99.4% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 166-196 (37.3 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Cresselia Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 168-198 (52 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vaporeon = Has a high chance of winning vs. Scarf, but loses to LO and Band.
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 192-226 (41.3 - 48.7%) -- 12.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 250-294 (53.8 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 288-339 (62 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

0- SpA Vaporeon Scald vs. -2 0 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 368-434 (113.9 - 134.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Donphan = Wins vs. Scarf and LO, but has a low chance of winning vs. Band.
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Donphan: 124-147 (32.2 - 38.2%) -- 46.5% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Donphan: 161-191 (41.9 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Donphan: 186-219 (48.4 - 57%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs. -2 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 548-648 (169.6 - 200.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Hippowdon = Wins against Scarf and LO, and has a high chance of winning vs. Band.
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 126-148 (30 - 35.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 164-192 (39 - 45.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 187-222 (44.5 - 52.8%) -- 25% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. -2 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 518-612 (160.3 - 189.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Slowking = While it can take two from Terrakion, it can't OHKO back, thus losing to it upon switch in.
252 Atk Terrakion X-Scissor vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Slowking: 146-172 (37.1 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion X-Scissor vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Slowking: 190-224 (48.3 - 56.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion X-Scissor vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Slowking: 216-256 (54.9 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

8 SpA Slowking Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 192-228 (59.4 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Alomomola = While it can take two from Terrakion, it can't OHKO back, thus losing to it upon switch in.
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 162-192 (30.6 - 36.2%) -- 54% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 211-250 (39.8 - 47.2%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 243-286 (45.9 - 54%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Alomomola Scald vs. -2 0 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 186-222 (57.5 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Doublade = Wins vs. every variant of Terrakion.
252 Atk Terrakion Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Doublade: 78-94 (24.4 - 29.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Doublade: 101-122 (31.6 - 38.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Doublade: 118-140 (36.9 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

0 Atk Doublade Gyro Ball (129 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 330-390 (102.1 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Granbull = While it can take two from Terrakion, it can't OHKO back, thus losing to it upon switch in.
-1 252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 94-112 (24.4 - 29.1%) -- 69% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 122-146 (31.7 - 38%) -- 94.9% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 141-166 (36.7 - 43.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

4 Atk Granbull Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 248-294 (76.7 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Jellicent = While it can take two from Scarf Terrakion, it can't OHKO back, thus losing to it upon switch in. LO and Band obviously win then.
252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Jellicent: 154-183 (38.1 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Jellicent: 200-238 (49.5 - 58.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Jellicent: 232-274 (57.4 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Jellicent Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 164-194 (50.7 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Bronzong = Wins Vs. Scarf, but has a high chance of losing vs. LO, and loses to Band.
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 127-150 (37.5 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 165-195 (48.8 - 57.6%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 190-225 (56.2 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Bronzong Gyro Ball (95 BP) vs. -2 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 408-480 (126.3 - 148.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Spiritomb = Can take 2 hits from Scarf, but only 4HKOs with Shadow Ball and burnt Stone Edge can OHKO after two healthy Stone Edges. LO and Band obviously beat it
252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Spiritomb: 111-132 (36.5 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk burned Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Spiritomb: 55-66 (18 - 21.7%) -- possible 6HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Spiritomb: 144-172 (47.3 - 56.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Spiritomb: 166-196 (54.6 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Spiritomb Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 88-105 (27.2 - 32.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Qwilfish = While it can take two from Scarf Terrakion, it can't OHKO back, thus losing to it upon switch in. LO and Band obviously win then.
-1 252 Atk Terrakion Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Qwilfish: 128-152 (38.3 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Qwilfish: 166-198 (49.7 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Qwilfish: 192-226 (57.4 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

0 Atk Qwilfish Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 182-216 (56.3 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Weezing = Can take hits vs. Terrakion, but Sludge Bomb does nothing and it can only try to burn it. Though it has a very high chance to losing to Band either way.
252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 103-123 (30.8 - 36.8%) -- 70.7% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 134-160 (40.1 - 47.9%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 154-183 (46.1 - 54.7%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

4 SpA Weezing Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 46-55 (14.2 - 17%) -- possible 6HKO

Cofagrigus = Can take hits vs. Terrakion, but Shadow Ball is only a 4HKO and Cof has no reliable recovery.
252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 91-108 (28.5 - 33.8%) -- 0.7% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 118-140 (36.9 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 135-160 (42.3 - 50.1%) -- 36.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Gastrodon = Has a very high chance to win vs. Scarf, but loses to LO and Band.
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 216 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 178-211 (42.6 - 50.5%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 216 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 231-274 (55.3 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 216 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 268-316 (64.2 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Gastrodon Scald vs. -2 0 HP / 4 SpD Terrakion: 350-414 (108.3 - 128.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Gourgeist-XL = Can only win via Burn+Synthesis.
252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 102-121 (27.2 - 32.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 133-157 (35.5 - 41.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 153-181 (40.9 - 48.3%) -- 9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Gourgeist-Super Seed Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 188-224 (58.2 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Quagsire = Has to fish for Scald burns to win.
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 156-184 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 203-239 (51.5 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 234-276 (59.3 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Unaware Quagsire Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 206-246 (63.7 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

tl;dr Bring Doublade or you lose to it.

Note: These aren't even factoring in SD.

Last edited:
Another, somewhat nonviable terrakion switchin could be chesnaught. Unfortunately with Hera's stab megahorn back in play, I don't think Chesnaught will be able to do much of use against other pokemon anymore (even less than it already did).

Edgequake is really good and stab close combat to back it up is even better. I'm really not seeing a whole lot of checks for this thing that aren't offensive and a rock polish set could stop offensive checks too

There are still plenty of things that can revenge Terrakion, particularly non scarf sets.
Terrakion is weak to Water, Grass, Steel, Fighting, Psychic and Ground.
Strong Aqua Jet and Bullet punch and Mach Punch users kill it.
Serperior and Mega Scept revenge is ez.
Sash Alakazam is probably one of the best checks as it can switch in and OHKO.

The problem with Terrakion is that virtually every time it switches in something is getting KO'd or crippled. It's like Crawdaunt but with a slightly better typing and MUCH more speed. Crawdaunt did have Adaptability Aqua Jet, but was still hilariously easy to revenge kill. Terrakion isn't quite as powerful, nor does it have access to Knock Off or priority, but there are really aren't any Pokemon that can switch in on Terrakion, survive the second blow, and then KO without any sort of prior damage beyond Rocks and maybe Life Orb recoil. So a lot of Pokemon end up in the scenario where they have to survive at least three hits, two of which are guaranteed to be optimal (assuming it's not Choice locked) which very very very few Pokemon can do. PDef Golurk is hands down Terrakion's best counter outside of Ubers and probably some stuff in OU. GOLURK. Even he's 3HKO'd by Life Orb Earthquake after Rocks. 4 Atk Earthquake doesn't even have a guaranteed OHKO from stock.

To more directly address your points:
We have three even remotely viable Bullet Punch users in UU: Lucario, Medicham, and Machamp. Lucario can't KO without a boost (252+ LO Bullet Punch does a maximum of 67.4%), Medicham is slightly stronger (69.3), and Machamp's doesn't even have a guaranteed 2HKO. The only Aqua Jet user I can think of off the top of my head is Empoleon. 252+ LO Aqua Jet is very very slightly more powerful than Machamp's Bullet Punch. As for Mach Punch users, we have Infernape, Gurdurr, and Hitmonchan. All of them have lower attack than Lucario, and will all obviously fail to KO without a boost, so I'm not bothering to calc them.

Sure, Serperior and Mega Sceptile revenge it easily, but getting them in unscathed is another story. We're not talking about stopping an endgame sweep, where if it's stopped here it's done. This is every time Terrakion's feet-things touch soil. Every time Terrakion comes out, SOMETHING is eating a brutally powerful attack and is more likely than not getting 2HKO'd. This is Crawdaunt all over again.

Alakazam can switch in with impunity ONCE. Otherwise it's in the same boat as every other would-be revenge killer. Fuck, it's in an even WORSE spot, because almost every single attack brings Alakazam down to his sash (LO Close Combat does a minimum of 93%) and Quick Attack finishes him off. So you STILL have to bring in Alakazam as carefully as you would any other would-be revenge killer.

Terrakion and UU i didnt think this day would come but we see
things work in theory (counters checks) but we really wont know how much Terrakion will hurt UU

literal bull in a China shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)