'NU' and Creative Movesets / EV Spreads

Status
Not open for further replies.

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
my apologies for the god awful pun in the title

The same rules apply here as in the other Creative Moveset threads but note that any and all movesets posted in this thread must be for use in the NU metagame. If you wish to post a set for use in any other tier please use the relevant thread in the relevant subforum.

Discussion Rules:

1: Use the readable format to display your movesets or EV spreads. An example would be:

Pokemon Name:(Adding pictures may make it easier to read and visually appealing, however, all pics must be here)
Moveset Name:
Move 1:
Move 2:
Move 3:
Move 4:
Item:
Ability:
Nature(s):
EVs: Ordered HP/Atk/Def/SpA/SpD/Spe

Moveset Name: Cotton Guard DD Altaria
Move 1: Dragon Dance
Move 2: Dragon Claw
Move 3: Cotton Guard
Move 4: Roost
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature(s): Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SpD / 32 Spe

Description of the set explaining what it is capable of, damage calcs...etc

2: Do not repeat movesets already mentioned in previous posts. If you do not know if a moveset has already been mentioned use the "Search this Thread" before simply posting.

3: Note that this thread is for sets that you've actually tried at least a few times, not something that "might work". If you think something has potential, you can be bothered to use it before subjecting everyone else to it.

4: This is for competitive, serious movesets only. Don't post joke sets.

5: Post a description along with your moveset. This should be obvious.

6: Do not post outclassed sets, for example Quiver Dance Beautifly which is completely outclassed by other Quiver Dancers such as Mothim.

7: Good movesets will be added here into the OP.
Go!

Moveset Name: Trick Room Exeggutor
Move 1: Trick Room
Move 2: Sleep Powder
Move 3: Leaf Storm
Move 4: Psychic
Item: Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EV's: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA

Trick Room Eggy is fantastic. While it isn't as effective at sweeping as Sunny Day, it's a reliable setter of Trick Room for Trick Room teams. It can also last longer thanks to its HP EV's and Sitrus Berry + Harvest. (Which usually heals Exeggutor more than just Leftovers would.) So basically it acts as a very reliable Trick Room setter and as a Trick Room abuser at the same time. I've found it more effective than other OTR Pokemon such as Beheeyem.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion

Moveset Name: Trick Room Exeggutor
Move 1: Trick Room
Move 2: Sleep Powder
Move 3: Leaf Storm
Move 4: Psychic
Item: Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EV's: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA

Trick Room Eggy is fantastic. While it isn't as effective at sweeping as Sunny Day, it's a reliable setter of Trick Room for Trick Room teams. It can also last longer thanks to its HP EV's and Sitrus Berry + Harvest. (Which usually heals Exeggutor more than just Leftovers would.) So basically it acts as a very reliable Trick Room setter and as a Trick Room abuser at the same time. I've found it more effective than other OTR Pokemon such as Beheeyem.
I used a similar set with Life Orb over Sitrus Berry the only time I laddered seriously in NU. It's a pretty good set. Psyshock is superior to Psychic though, at least IMO.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion

Moveset Name: Offensive Tangela
Move 1: Sleep Powder
Move 2: Leaf Storm
Move 3: Hidden Power [Rock]
Move 4: Stun Spore / Sludge Bomb
Item: Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Modest
EV's: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe

I think I brought up this set in IRC today, and I laddered around with it today for a while because I was intrigued by the set myself, and Pearl. got talking about specific sets. This was inspired by bulky offensive Slowking and Tangrowth in RU, of course. Even with just 248 HP investment, Tangela is extremely sturdy on the physical side with Regenerator. It can no longer tank bs like Brave Bird but it's very usable physical wall. Sleep Powder is an obvious choice because it's just that good. Leaf Storm puts on the hurt, and has a very real chance of OHKOing Swellow through resist given SR support. HP Rock hits stuff for solid coverage, nailing Magmortar and stuff, but I suppose HP Ice is also viable, though it misses out on magmortar. I put Sludge Bomb on last slot for hitting Grassers, it doesn't really matter when most of them have Poison subtyping, and Leafeon gets its sub broken just with neutral Hidden Power. Pearl. mentioned Stun Spore in its place to cripple special attackers that switch in, so that's the set!

Moveset Rage Seed Serperior
Move 1: Leech Seed
Move 2: Substitute
Move 3: Dragon Tail
Move 4: Glare
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Jolly
EV's: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
This serperior can troll quite reasonably well. SubSeed is a great combo to use against the opponent, with glare paralyzing any faster pokes outside Guts-oriented ones on the switch or behind a sub. Dragon tail is nifty seeing that while the opponent goes to break your sub, or switch to the appropiate counter, you can hit the next incoming poke and shuffle their team around one turn at a time. With hazards like stealth rock and spikes, the damage can really rack up on the opposing team.

I'm not entirely sure about Dragon Tail. Dragon Tail may save your Sub, but you completely get rid of your own Leech Seed. Giga Drain would probably be a superior option there, as it would give you even more recovery, as well as being able to actually deal sizable damage instead of just shuffling the opponent.

However, Giga Drain/Leech Seed just means Serperior becomes set-up bait for just about any Grass-type out there. A good number of them, like Exeggutor, Tangela and Vileplume don't even mind paralysis that much.

I think the idea is more that you can use each move against certain opponents. Dragon Tail is obviously more useful for phazing out SR-weak counters than stacking Leech Seed damage on them, and Leech Seed works better vs. stall-ish pokemon with low offensive presence. However, if you wanted to keep a grass move, I think Leaf Blade would be better to get an easy 2hko on Jynx.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Moveset Name: Lure Simisage
Move 1: Leaf Storm
Move 2: Crunch
Move 3: Low Kick
Move 4: Rock Slide / Taunt
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Gluttony
Nature: Naive
EV's: 48 Atk / 252 SpA / 208 Spe

Pretty much exclusively for use alongside a Nasty Plot Jynx of your own. The idea is you lead with it, use Leaf Storm, and then lure in Jynx's checks, like Cryogonal, Haunter, Jynx and Probopass. All of these Pokemon are major annoyances to your own Jynx, and all of them can be OHKOed by this set with little effort.

Crunch vs. 4/0 Haunter: 125 - 147.41%
Crunch vs. 4/0 Jynx: 126.19 - 149.07%
Low Kick vs. 252/0 Cryogonal: 137.79 - 162.2%
Low Kick vs. 252/0 Probopass: 104.93 - 123.45%

The EVs outspeed offensive Jynx. Rock Slide is for Magmortar, but it's basically filler. Use Taunt, Substitute, Hidden Power, whatever. I mentioned it a while ago and tennisace seemed to like it, and it managed to get a few surprise KOs when I tested it. Plus, it's yet another Grass type for this thread. :p

I'm not entirely sure about Dragon Tail. Dragon Tail may save your Sub, but you completely get rid of your own Leech Seed. Giga Drain would probably be a superior option there, as it would give you even more recovery, as well as being able to actually deal sizable damage instead of just shuffling the opponent.
Dragon tail is useful for stopping setup pokes and just shuffling in general. Leech seed may seem kinda outta place but it helps if I'm forced to switch to a appropiate counter to recover some hp's back.

However, Giga Drain/Leech Seed just means Serperior becomes set-up bait for just about any Grass-type out there. A good number of them, like Exeggutor, Tangela and Vileplume don't even mind paralysis that much.
Thanks. Glare saved me versus a tangela I faced some time. Dragon tail on the other hand has been both a blessing and a curse so to speak for me. Not to mention glare can be used to see what poke on the opposing team, if any has heal bell. I'll usually glare/sub/seed and try and figure out their main method to remove status and choose a poke to either setup on them or force them to switch to gain some momentum.

I think the idea is more that you can use each move against certain opponents. Dragon Tail is obviously more useful for phazing out SR-weak counters than stacking Leech Seed damage on them, and Leech Seed works better vs. stall-ish pokemon with low offensive presence. However, if you wanted to keep a grass move, I think Leaf Blade would be better to get an easy 2hko on Jynx.
Leaf blade sounds like a good choice but a 2nd attack would be required so that I don't get completely blocked by grass-types. Tangela, vileplume are a pain in the rear.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Moveset Name: Offensive Tangela
Move 1: Sleep Powder
Move 2: Leaf Storm
Move 3: Hidden Power [Rock]
Move 4: Stun Spore / Sludge Bomb
Ability: Regenerator
EV's: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
just wanted to say this set is amazing, especially as a lure for stuff like magmortar and the other usual switch-ins to tangela. it doesn't ohko magmortar but it does enough to heavily impair it (can't switch into sr again after it comes into sr + hp rock), as well as the birdies. stun spore is also really cool, as so many things rely on their speed in nu and paralysis-spreading is always pretty cool.

Vibrava
Scarfer
m1-U-Turn
m2-Outrage
m3-Earthquake
m4-Rock Slide
item- Choice Scarf
Ability- Levitate
Nature- Adamant
Evs- 4 hp, 252 atk, 252 spe

Love this guy. Altho one look at its stats turns people off for it, it actually makes a decent scarfer. It works well on a double scarf core i use with zebstrika to abuse Voltturn. He works just like a little flygon and shouldnt be discriminated by its weaker stats, as his coverage and STABs can annoy anyone who isnt prepared for it.

It has proven the star of my nu team and does work every time i use it. If only it had quiver dance...

Vibrava
Scarfer
m1-U-Turn
m2-Outrage
m3-Earthquake
m4-Rock Slide
item- Choice Scarf
Ability- Levitate
Nature- Adamant
Evs- 4 hp, 252 atk, 252 spe

Love this guy. Altho one look at its stats turns people off for it, it actually makes a decent scarfer. It works well on a double scarf core i use with zebstrika to abuse Voltturn. He works just like a little flygon and shouldnt be discriminated by its weaker stats, as his coverage and STABs can annoy anyone who isnt prepared for it.

It has proven the star of my nu team and does work every time i use it. If only it had quiver dance...
What an interesting Pokemon! Vibrava is one of my favorite Pokemon. :) Unfortunately, I really doubt that Choice Scarf Vibrava is effective in NU. For one, it's just really really weak. It's also frail which gives it trouble with switching into things (other than on its useful immunities!) and it's not even fast enough to outspeed Pokemon such as Cincinno and Swellow without using the Jolly nature!

Those are not its only flaws; its strongest STAB, Outrage, prevents Vibrava from switching out making it easily to kill.

Anyways, let's move on to the calcs:

252Atk Vibrava (+Atk) Outrage vs 0HP/0Def Gorebyss (Neutral): 54% - 64% (138 - 163 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

252Atk Vibrava (+Atk) Outrage vs 0HP/0Def Sturdy Sawk (Neutral): 62% - 73% (181 - 214 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

252Atk Vibrava (+Atk) Outrage vs 0HP/0Def Braviary (Neutral): 53% - 62% (181 - 214 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

252Atk Vibrava (+Atk) Earthquake vs 252HP/0Def Sturdy Regirock (Neutral): 36% - 42% (132 - 156 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

252Atk Vibrava (+Atk) Outrage vs 252HP/252Def Unaware Quagsire (+Def): 29% - 34% (115 - 136 HP). Guaranteed 4HKO.

Those calcs really don't tempt me into using Vibrava. It doesn't really OHKO much offensive threats it'd revenge and it does almost nothing to more defensive threats. I guess being practically immune to hazards and having U-turn is pretty cool, but honestly there are much more worthwhile Pokemon in NU. It can't even outspeed most boosting Pokemon or most Choice Scarf users! With Jolly, that problem is fixed; however, Vibrava's damage output is even less.

Vibrava isn't even that great in Middle Cup; most times you'd want to use the more powerful, bulky, and faster Gabite as a Choice Scarf user; but that's neither here nor there.

Don't get me wrong, I really want to find use for the poor thing haha. I was thinking using a Substitute / Roost / EQ / Toxic set, but Vibrava is just too frail even with Eviolite. :(

Gimmick tech time? Gimmick tech time.

Persian @ Life Orb
4 Atk/252 SpAtk/252 Spe
Naive / Technician

Fake Out
Icy Wind
Water Pulse
filler

Persian has crappy offensive stats, crappy defensive stats, mediocre HP. The only thing going for it is Speed and technician-boosted stab Fake Out, which it can abuse greatly. This set puts a spin on the badass giovanni's pet by catching a surprisingly large portion of the metagame unaware with a Tech-boosted special attack. It can 2hko Golem, Camerupt, and other sturdy rock/grounds with Fake Out+Water Pulse, 1hko Torterra/Altaria with Icy Wind while 2hko'ing other Grass-types. Ignore his crappy attack stats and think of him as being kind of an NU Starmie, with great coverage and speed combined with the bonus of Fake Out, as he can clean up teams quite nicely while stalling for Toxic damage against bulkier foes. Notable last-slot options include Hypnosis, U-turn, Taunt, etc. which would be standard fare on any other Persian set and are still viable here. Attacking options that can still work include Thunderbolt, which 2hko's every pure-Water type in the tier with SR, Hidden Power Grass which can 1hko all the water/grounds and water/rocks better than Thunderbolt, and the legendary Mud Slap (lol). He obviously struggles vs. pokemon without crippling weaknesses that he can hit, but it's more meant to be a mid-game lure than anything else, and it can still run a fast Taunt while surprising certain foes with a x4 coverage move. Things in NU aren't defensive enough to survive boosted attacks from even a weak pokemon like this, and their crippling weaknesses to common types means that given that somebody has something that is x4 weak to one of Persian's moves, it's probably going to die to it, meaning that this can open a lot of opportunities for a companion pokemon to exploit the open weakness.

Gimmick tech time? Gimmick tech time.

Persian @ Life Orb
4 Atk/252 SpAtk/252 Spe
Naive / Technician

Fake Out
Icy Wind
Water Pulse
filler

Persian has crappy offensive stats, crappy defensive stats, mediocre HP. The only thing going for it is Speed and technician-boosted stab Fake Out, which it can abuse greatly. This set puts a spin on the badass giovanni's pet by catching a surprisingly large portion of the metagame unaware with a Tech-boosted special attack. It can 2hko Golem, Camerupt, and other sturdy rock/grounds with Fake Out+Water Pulse, 1hko Torterra/Altaria with Icy Wind while 2hko'ing other Grass-types. Ignore his crappy attack stats and think of him as being kind of an NU Starmie, with great coverage and speed combined with the bonus of Fake Out, as he can clean up teams quite nicely while stalling for Toxic damage against bulkier foes. Notable last-slot options include Hypnosis, U-turn, Taunt, etc. which would be standard fare on any other Persian set and are still viable here. Attacking options that can still work include Thunderbolt, which 2hko's every pure-Water type in the tier with SR, Hidden Power Grass which can 1hko all the water/grounds and water/rocks better than Thunderbolt, and the legendary Mud Slap (lol). He obviously struggles vs. pokemon without crippling weaknesses that he can hit, but it's more meant to be a mid-game lure than anything else, and it can still run a fast Taunt while surprising certain foes with a x4 coverage move. Things in NU aren't defensive enough to survive boosted attacks from even a weak pokemon like this, and their crippling weaknesses to common types means that given that somebody has something that is x4 weak to one of Persian's moves, it's probably going to die to it, meaning that this can open a lot of opportunities for a companion pokemon to exploit the open weakness.
I love gimmicky crap so no wonder this looks great to me. I used a NP technician Rest+Snore Persian (You think your set is gimmicky) a while back and honestly, it was great. Despite his shitty base 65 SpA after a NP it was boosted to 502, which is plenty to start causing pain in NU. Perhaps even run NP in the last slot in case he gets a chance to set up?

One thing this has going for it is surprise factor. Everyone will expect the standard physical Persian when they see the Fake Out only to be shocked when their lead is taken out.

The only thing is I'm not really seeing the merit of Icy Wind. Rotom-s is the only Poke in the top 10 leads that is weak to Ice, they're all scarfed anyway and 99% of them Volt Switch out.

@ Leftovers
Calm - 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Solid Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Yawn / Roar / Rest
- Protect / Stealth Rock / Sleep Talk

All around special wall, counters Fire-types and Electric-types easily. Can set-up rocks on thing like Magmortar and Ampharos and shuffle teams with Roar or Yawn, or absorb status with Rest or Sleep Talk. Fits well in a FWG core, and I tried it along Storm Drain Cradily with great success.

Moveset Name: Mixed Walbreaker Emboar
Move 1: Fire Blast
Move 2: Superpower
Move 3: Grass Knot
Move 4: Hidden Power Ice
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Mild
EV's: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
I came up with this set to replace Magmortar if/when it leaves the tier in April. Even though at first glance it appears horribly outclassed by Magmortar, it still has a few things over the aforementioned fire duck. First of all is the ability to go mixed effectively, enabling it to OHKO Magmortar's best counter, Camerupt, after Stealth Rock damage. Secondly, it's not weak to Stealth Rock. Third, it can take on Quagsire and Altaria at the same time, thanks to Grass Knot. Fire Blast is powerful, reliable, and can easily OHKO Tangela and 2HKOes Misdreavus. Superpower beats most specially defensive mons loke Regice and destroys Bastiodon and Probopass. Grass knot allows it to beat bulky waters, but it still has trouble with Alomomola if there is little prior damage. HP Ice beats bulky Dragons like Altaria.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Moveset Name: Mixed Walbreaker Emboar
Move 1: Fire Blast
Move 2: Superpower
Move 3: Grass Knot
Move 4: Hidden Power Ice
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Mild
EV's: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
I came up with this set to replace Magmortar if/when it leaves the tier in April. Even though at first glance it appears horribly outclassed by Magmortar, it still has a few things over the aforementioned fire duck. First of all is the ability to go mixed effectively, enabling it to OHKO Magmortar's best counter, Camerupt, after Stealth Rock damage. Secondly, it's not weak to Stealth Rock. Third, it can take on Quagsire and Altaria at the same time, thanks to Grass Knot. Fire Blast is powerful, reliable, and can easily OHKO Tangela and 2HKOes Misdreavus. Superpower beats most specially defensive mons loke Regice and destroys Bastiodon and Probopass. Grass knot allows it to beat bulky waters, but it still has trouble with Alomomola if there is little prior damage. HP Ice beats bulky Dragons like Altaria.
This is a pretty cool set. Statistically, Emboar has some of the best mixed offenses in the tier, and certainly has the movepool to abuse this. It's obviously overshadowed by Magmortar due to its much lower Speed, but at the same time, neutrality to SR, 4x resistance to U-turn and resistance to Sucker Punch are all useful, redeeming qualities. Furthermore, since Emboar is using a boosting nature, the difference in power between its Fire Blasts and Magmortar's is only about 6%. Meanwhile, STAB Superpower >>> Focus Blast.

I've actually used this on the ladder for a while, and it's definitely held its weight pretty well with paralysis support. If Magmortar (or even Jynx, the reason I've gone back to Magmortar and its Vital Spirit) leaves the tier, then I reckon a special attacking set should be considered for Emboar's analysis, as it's definitely not purely outclassed.

SubPunch Granbull (affectionately referred to as "GrannyPunch")

Move 1: Substitute
Move 2: Focus Punch
Move 3: Crunch
Move 4: Bulk Up / Return / Toxic
@Leftovers / Life Orb
Intimidate
Adamant
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe

This set works surprisingly well by fully embracing Granbull's horrible speed and usable physical bulk. With only 1 weakness, Intimidate, a healthy amount of HP and a usable Defense stat, Granbull finds tons of opportunities to switch in and scare something out, allowing him to set up. Go for the Sub on the switch. Stealth Rock support is critical to bring multiple Pokes into OHKO range, especially to break Sturdy users like Sawk and Golem (providing he isn't carrying Leftovers). If they send in something to wall it and stall it out with status, they just gave you a free ticket to set up a Bulk Up or two, increasing both Granbull's staying power and damage dealing ability. Crunch hits ghosts (so Missy and Haunter, pretty much) and the abundant psychics of NU that avoid/resist Focus Punch as well as nicely rounding out the set's neutral coverage. if you don't like the idea of setting up more than a Substitute, you can instead run Return in place of Bulk Up and use a Life Orb to still get some pretty respectable damage. Just don't expect Granbull to come in more than once or twice with that setup unless you're running Wish support.

SubPunch Granbull is very comparable to another SubPuncher in the tier: Beartic. There are some key advantages and disadvantages to both:

Granbull:
+Higher Attack stat
+Intimidate!!
+Only 1 Weakness
+Ghost type immunity
+No SR Weakness
+Unpredictable set
-No usable STAB in this set without sacrificing Bulk Up
-Low SpD
-Even lower Speed than Beartic
-Only setup move is Bulk Up

Beartic:
+Can viably use Swords Dance or Bulk Up, or a 3rd coverage move
+Icicle Crash is a fantastic STAB alongside FP
+Better all-around bulk
-Stealth Rock Weakness!!
-Multiple elemental weaknesses
-No particularly useful ability
-SubPunch is a cookie cutter set on Beartic, so it's easier to predict.

Which SubPuncher you choose between these two is really up to you - whichever fits your team better, or simply whichever Pokemon you like more. Granbull's a safer switch in, but Beartic's got a STAB with great coverage and can be extremely threatening with Rapid Spin support.

The main weapon of this set is the element of surprise, as Granbull is rarely seen even in NU. I can tell most of my opponents who see this guy switch in aren't really sure what to expect. His normal typing, and therefore diverse special movepool, leaves them fearing a super effective attack - even though his Sp. Attack is garbage. Granbull is often seen using support, or a tank build, or a choice band set, so he often baits out physical walls and toxic users that just end up being set up fodder.

He's certainly not without his shortcomings like his speed, weakness to Mach Punch, and awful SpD. He's walled pretty handily by the ever-present Eviolite-boosted Tangela, who can't do much in return but takes less than 1/3 damage from a +1 Granbull Focus Punch and can heal off the damage with Regenerator (or Leech Seed if he caught you without a Sub). Tangela doesn't start taking significant damage from this set until its Eviolite has been knocked off and Granbull has 2 Bulk Ups under its belt. Physically defensive Quagsire ignores Granbull's Bulk Ups and takes ~40% from an unboosted Focus Punch, while healing off the damage easily with Recover. Physically defensive Pelipper resists Focus Punch and only 30-35% from a +1 Crunch, while roosting off the damage, although this does open it up to taking unresisted Focus Punches. +1 Focus Punch still won't wear down a Roosted Pelipper, but putting it on the defensive does open up an opportunity for more Bulk Ups. Putting a Toxic on any of these with another Pokemon will limit their lifespans and allow Granbull to get in, unless one of them is carrying Rest, which may in turn give Granny the opportunity to pull off enough Bulk Ups to break through any physical defense. Granbull can run Toxic himself in lieu of Bulk Up or a STAB move, but this decreases his overall lethality in exchange for the ability to break down a Wall. I find it's better to leave the Toxic up to someone else.

Granbull can be walled by some common defensive threats, but I've seen this guy surprise players and start punching holes in their team too reliably to dismiss him. With the right support to handle his counters, he can rip through an entire team. Adopt a Bulldog today.

2 NFE Pokemon that I've been enjoying lately:

Move 1: Spikes
Move 2: Hydro Pump
Move 3: Ice Beam
Move 4: Hidden Power Rock
Ability: Swift Swim
EV's: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe

Move 1: Rest
Move 2: Sleep Talk
Move 3: Lava Plume
Move 4: Toxic
Ability: Flame Body
Nature: Calm
EV's: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD

So yeah, these might look strange, but they're actually pretty good! People don't realize that Omanyte is not a weakling offensively, so they're surprised when Omanyte blasts there Skuntank or whatever with Hydro Pump. "Offensive" Omanyte basically just attacks stuff and if it can't really hurt something, chances are what it can't hurt do much back, so it can just set-up Spikes on it.

Magmar has surprisingly high bulk and can easily wall Jynx and Magmortar. No attacks from either of them can 2HKO Magmar (other than the very rare Choice Specs Jynx's Psychic). It can easily wall a bunch of stuff -- only problem is that it relies on Lava Plume's burning or good Sleep Talk rolls to stay alive a lot of times. Wish support from Lickilicky support and Rapid Spin support from Cryogonal/Armaldo is recommended if you're using Magmar.

2 NFE Pokemon that I've been enjoying lately:

Move 1: Spikes
Move 2: Hydro Pump
Move 3: Ice Beam
Move 4: Hidden Power Rock
Ability: Swift Swim
EV's: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132
I'm quite tempted to try out that Omanyte set.... I wish Lapras wasn't so critical to my new team (great synergy with my revolutionary Camerupt-on-a-balloon build)

What was initially a joke has become something a bit more serious:

Bibarel @ Life Orb/Lum Berry
252 Atk/48 SpAtk/208 Spe
Naive / Simple

Work Up
Ice Beam/Return
Waterfall
Quick Attack

At +2 his offenses are no joke, and with STAB priority he can sweep through weakened fast sweepers. I paired it with Screens support from Gardevoir, and it's nice to use this stupid thing even though it doesn't work very well. The advantage to using this over another setup sweeper behind screens like BD Linoone or Gorebyss is that Work Up boosts its SpAtk to useable levels while boosting its physical sweeping moves, meaning that it can run Ice Beam to complement the already-good coverage given by its STABs. At +2 Ice Beam 1hko's physically defensive Tangela after SR, and still has a decent shot at ko'ing it even if it runs some spdef EVs. Other bulky grasses can be taken out by +2 Return, but Tangela is such a strong defensive threat that specializing to beat it might not be a bad idea since it's almost impossible to trap and eliminate. The Speed EVs let it outspeed base 65s, Naughty is an option if you don't want to try and beat base 70s that choose to go Adamant/Modest/etc... Base 71 speed is really trollish, and running maxed/almost-maxed speed lets it get the jump on a lot of things. Quagsire is pretty much the only thing that is guaranteed to wall this set, as Alomomola gets 2hko'ed by +2 Return and tangela gets 1hko'ed by Ice Beam. Misdreavus gets 2hko'ed by +2 Waterfall, though it can burn it. Scarf Sawk and Rotom-S take 50% minimum from LO-boosted Quick Attack, meaning that Spikes and SR are helpful in cleaning up opponents. Magmortar is a good teammate as it can power through the few physical walls that can actually stand up to this set, toasting Alomomola with Thunderbolt and frying Tangela/Vileplume/Amoongus with fire. Gardevoir is great at providing Dual Screen support as it provides a handy Ghost-type attack lure and can come in on a lot of status pokemon and Taunt them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)