Resource NU Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
NUPL was a pleasant experience for me both times I participated, and I think it was enjoyable for most people. So find ways to do things together more often, preferably in environments where people can't just vote for/play with/etc their already-friends. Live community teambuilds can be good ways to do things entirely communally, for example. Threads that reward purely positive contributions like creative set or counter that threat threads are good too. Moderate these communal projects tightly to make clear no negativity is allowed as they are inherently collaborative.

As to more general comments: most tiers on Smogon these days have had some amount of culture war. Disagreements are natural. We're all pretty opinionated people here. But there shouldn't be anyone, or more realistically (we're human) a max of one or two people, that you hate. If you have more than two people that you hate involved in NU, 1) you should be trying to fix that, and 2) you don't want to hear this but you're probably part of the problem. Approach them with an olive branch even if you don't think you did anything wrong. And if it doesn't end up helping and you still genuinely think they're an asshole after (they probably think the same of you), then forget about em. They're not worth your time. It's ok if everyone doesn't love each other. Just don't be dicks about it and also acknowledge that you yourself might be making others feel exactly the same.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
NUPL was a pleasant experience for me both times I participated, and I think it was enjoyable for most people. So find ways to do things together more often, preferably in environments where people can't just vote for/play with/etc their already-friends. Live community teambuilds can be good ways to do things entirely communally, for example.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/neverused-teambats-mark-2.3470185/

teambats are fucking fun and force you to co-operate with ppl you don't know :^)

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Raseri

Okay, in terms of projects, stuff like the NU teambuilding compendium run by boltsandbombers and the viability rankings I feel are crucial to new players in terms of forming a basic idea of the metagame and how their team should look, I agree that things like speed tiers look like waffle that ends up being too much information for someone to take in all at once. The teambuilding lab is also fantastic for people to pick the brains of the knowledgeable players and find their own way of teambuilding.

Maybe we could do a live teambuilding session on the forums or another format, along the lines of a smogcast although those always end up being boring and hard to follow :/ these sorts of things would help people see what those who know the metagame have to say without feeling patronised or degraded.

Next thing and I'll write this in big. It's important. Don't just give out badges for people who host threads and stuff, often that's easier than actually making quality posts. A CC nom thread just went up where the user in question is being rewarded simply for suspect discussion! Let's reward people for posts and not make them think they need to host every thread in the world to get a badge and that posting is redundant.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Raseri

Okay, in terms of projects, stuff like the NU teambuilding compendium run by boltsandbombers and the viability rankings I feel are crucial to new players in terms of forming a basic idea of the metagame and how their team should look, I agree that things like speed tiers look like waffle that ends up being too much information for someone to take in all at once. The teambuilding lab is also fantastic for people to pick the brains of the knowledgeable players and find their own way of teambuilding.

Maybe we could do a live teambuilding session on the forums or another format, along the lines of a smogcast although those always end up being boring and hard to follow :/ these sorts of things would help people see what those who know the metagame have to say without feeling patronised or degraded.

Next thing and I'll write this in big. It's important. Don't just give out badges for people who host threads and stuff, often that's easier than actually making quality posts. A CC nom thread just went up where the user in question is being rewarded simply for suspect discussion! Let's reward people for posts and not make them think they need to host every thread in the world to get a badge and that posting is redundant.
I agree. Posting is important. You can't just host a thread and be like "Oh yeah I got a badge Boom". You gotta reward them for good posting and being a good user!

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just hosting a thread doesn't get you a CC badge. Its usually a combination of hosting a thread and good posts. But Orphic the moderation team notices people who just post good posts. Using myself as an example here but I got the CC badge solely on posting alone. I read pretty much every post that comes through NU and I keep in mind posts that stand out to me so I can keep an eye on that user in the future. As far as a badge for hosting a thread goes, the thread is usually something that requires constant upkeep such as the viability rankings. Hosting a thread like the SQSA won't get you a badge. So don't worry about that the moderation team has it under control.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Putting it quite simple, if you guys invested in a resource compendium (exactly like the one I made for UU), it could go a long way towards creating a more inclusive and transparent environment.

In fact, I'd be happy to assist in creating said compendium as a thank you to all the awesome people that have assisted me that've come out of this tier. Let me know, and I'll get this done.

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
Putting it quite simple, if you guys invested in a resource compendium (exactly like the one I made for UU), it could go a long way towards creating a more inclusive and transparent environment.

In fact, I'd be happy to assist in creating said compendium as a thank you to all the awesome people that have assisted me that've come out of this tier. Let me know, and I'll get this done.
Just posting here to say I am pretty sure we have one, since Disjunction put it together last week. Here is the link to the thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/nu-info.3544663/

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Oh, sorry for adding nothing of value then, apologies!
We can still take the 'introduction and posting guide' on the second post of UU compendium and slightly change some details to fit NU, if you don't mind. Sounds like a very good idea, actually. It would also serve as a 'beginner's guide' that people's been asking for.

also teambat stuff were the best.

Seeing as this thread has died down I am going to close it, but leave it sticked for the time being. We have changed the way in which we run the PS room, and have been working on making NU a better place. We have some more ideas that will be coming out sometime in the future, including some of the things you guys suggested in this thread!

If you have any comments or suggestions about NU, please contact me and I will get back to you ASAP, thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)