Project NU Cores Threat Analysis - Haunter + Shiftry

Status
Not open for further replies.

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Barbaracle @ Life Orb
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge
- Grass Knot
- Shell Smash

The best way to deal with this core is with a setup sweeper. This very offensive set manages to hit this core very hard after a Shell Smash.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Barbaracle Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 168 Def Eviolite Sliggoo: 343-406 (100.8 - 119.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 0 SpA Life Orb Tough Claws Barbaracle Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gastrodon: 421-499 (98.8 - 117.1%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Barbaracle Stone Edge vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Mega Audino: 329-387 (82.2 - 96.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Barbaracle Razor Shell vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Mega Audino: 321-380 (80.2 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
This week I decided to pick the winners myself again since I really only had to pick the winner for threat as by default PursuitOfHappiny won with their Pelipper submission so congratulations! Anyways, this week's winner for threat is ~Eternally's Sawsbuck!!!

This week's core is yet another one I stole from Shadowtags in the Good Cores thread (because I am lazy af and don't wanna write up a description for a core myself)...

Exeggutor @ Choice Specs
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Leaf Storm
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earth Power
- U-turn
- Roost

An offensive core featuring Specs eggy, something that I think is lowkey hella good rn. Mainly because a lot of people don't think to prepare for it and a lot of its supposed flaws are rather overblown imo. That being said it does have its fair amount of shortcomings. its low speed and multiple weaknesses can make it pretty hard to bring in safely. Archeops makes a great partner for those two reasons as the combination of its high speed and power means that with a well timed u-turn, getting Exeggutor in to destroy something with specs leaf storm becomes a lot easier. The choice of Hidden Power on Eggy is mainly on what you prefer to hit. HP ground demolishes sp def skuntank with rocks up and the slightest bit of chip damage. HP fire mainly nails ferroseed which can be good for clearing the way for Archeops to sweep. Sleep Powder is filler for the most part but it's useful for getting a free switch.
The threat nomination period will end on Thursday. You may now post threats to this core.

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.

Rotom @ Spell Tag
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball

-Spell tag rotom is a big offensive threat to this core because it Ohkoes Exeggutor with shadow ball, while archeops dies to volt switch or gets crippled by wisp. Even though its not a safe switchin to exeggutor, it can take any hit from archeops and revenge kill it, or proceed to burn/hex rest of the team.

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Jynx (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Lovely Kiss
- Focus Blast

Scarf Jynx outspeeds both and OHKOs both with Ice Beam. Can't switch in either of them tho

Reactions: nv

Sobi

Banned deucer.

aurorus @ choice specs | refrigerate
modest | 252 spa / 4 spd / 252 spe
frost breath | earth power | freeze-dry | hyper voice

aurorus equipped with choice specs is an absolute hard-hitter and it can deal quite a bit of damage to these two pokemon. as this particular archeops set lacks stone edge, aurorus doesn't have to be afraid of being fainted to it, and can instead OHKO archeops with one of its STAB moves. furthermore, it outspeeds exeggutor and can OHKO it before it OHKOes aurorus with leaf storm.

calcs:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Refrigerate Aurorus Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Exeggutor: 740-872 (223.5 - 263.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Refrigerate Aurorus Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Archeops: 740-872 (254.2 - 299.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard

Rotom-F outpaces and OHKOs Exeggutor with Blizzard. It also takes on Archeops really nicely, taking 43.5% max from Archeops' Acrobatics (Archeops is insane holy shit) and OHKOs back with Thunderbolt while outpacing with Choice Scarf. SubSplit also poses a threat to this core if SR isn't up, although it is less consistent due to failing to outpace Cheops while almost always being 2HKOed by Acro after rocks.

samuWHAT xd

Samurott @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Megahorn

SD samurott just wins against this core. it can outspeed eggy and easily OHKO with megahorn (though it actually has to hit) :( and samurott aqua jets archeops which activates defeatist and archeops can't really touch it after that. if archeops roosts samurott just sets up an sd. (though aqua jet still 2hkos)

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
So first off I have an announcement to make. This project has been lacking on the partners submissions for quite some time, leaving one side of this project at a disadvantage as threats get ~5 submissions each week and partners are lucky to get 2-3. For this reason, the partners phase of this project is no more. What I am going to do instead is have you guys submit threats to the core (which you guys have done an absolutely amazing job of so far so keep up the good work!) and then proceed to vote on the biggest threat. This change means I no longer have to consult with people or pick the winners myself and allows the community themselves to further invest into this project. This change is effective immediately. With that, it is time to vote on the biggest threat to this week's core of Exeggutor and Archeops.

PrinceLucian
PursuitOfHappiny
Sobi
Martin.
Sanjay.

Voting ends on Monday.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Rotom: 2HKOed by Acrobatics after Stealth Rock, meaning that it is both slower and unable to come in on it. It can take a single hit and KO back, but it's a shaky answer in general.

Jynx: In the same boat as Rotom except it fares worse due to not being able to come in on Earth Power.

Aurorus: Comes in on Archeops once in the match, OHKOed by eggy on switch-in, but it avoids a 2HKO from Archeops's Earth Power without rocks while taking only having a 2% chance to be 2HKOed by Acrobatics after Stealth Rock--allowing it to come in on it once with consistency. Most consistent of the three so far.

Samurott: It gets chunked by Acrobatics and fails to KO with Aqua Jet after rocks, meaning it can't switch in on it. Can't come in on Eggy for obvious reasons. It can RK both but is probably the most shaky one here.

After consideration, my vote goes to Sobi's Aurorus

nv

The Lost Age
And the winner is...
PursuitOfHappiny and their Jynx! Congratulations!!!

This week's core is one I am actually surprised was never done the first time around, but it is...

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Focus Blast

Rotom @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt / Signal Beam
- Hex
- Volt Switch
Basically this core is a pretty common hazard stacking core. Garbodor lays down entry hazards and Rotom can spinblock. This further pressures common Defoggers as well since Rotom has Electric STAB to take care of Pelipper and Mantine and it can cripple Skuntank with Wisp while Garbodor can rack up Rocky Helmet damage on Skuntank if it tries to attack Rotom (should it not Pursuit).

Submissions end on Friday.

poh

<?>

Haunter @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Filler
- Filler

Haunter outspeeds Rotom and OHKOs it with Shadow Ball. Shadow Ball 2HKOs Garb while taking minimal damage from Gunk Shot.

0 Atk Garbodor Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Haunter: 57-67 (24.6 - 29%) -- 99.9% chance to 4HKO

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 SpA / 108 SpD / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Acid Spray
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Defog

-A free switch into garbodor,since gunk+focus blast both do nothing vs Skuntank, and it can Defog the spikes freely. Rotom burn wont affect it,since its a special lure set. Acid spray over any other filler on black sludge set makes it one of most reliable psychic checks.

a purple trend

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power Ground

pretty straight forward. ghost resists gunk shot causing garb being able to 4hko mismagius at the least where as mismagius can spam shadow ball/hp ground to 3hko it or set up a nasty plot to 2hko (no difference really both get garb killed within 3 turns). is immune to focus blast and ohkos rotom with a shadow ball. also i suppose a stallbreaker set could be ran to be better vs garb though tougher time vs rotom as you're not able to ohko it.

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Claydol @ Expert Belt
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Shadow Ball
- Rapid Spin
- Psychic

Claydol is annoying for this core, it threatens out garb with both of it's stabs and can spin away the spikes it sets while also being immune to them so it's less prone to being worn down. Rotom has a hard time spin blocking you since E-belt Shadow Ball threatens to ohko after rocks and even stab psychic is doing a ton. Claydol also has enough bulk to live any one attack from either of those pokemon especially if garb opts to run focus blast over smth like seed bomb, just watch out for hex if you get statused.

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This thing straight out beats both of these mons whilst being able to set up too. It can just rest off its damage and boost.

0 Atk Malamar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Colbur Berry Rotom: 120-142 (49.7 - 58.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Rotom Hex (130 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Malamar: 148-175 (39.3 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage
0 Atk Garbodor Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Malamar: 136-162 (36.1 - 43%) -- 97.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Garbodor Gunk Shot vs. +1 252 HP / 4 Def Malamar: 93-109 (24.7 - 28.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

Camerupt @ Leftovers | Solid Rock
248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe | Calm
Stealth Rock | Lava Plume | Earth Power | Toxic

Walls and threatens both Pokemon with strong STABs. Immune to Rotom's burn, which makes it one of the only Ground-type switch-ins that doesn't care at all about it. Pair with a hazard remover because even though you can switch into Garbodor's attacks, Spikes throughout the game and even just one layer of Toxic Spikes will really hurt its ability to stick around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)