Project NU Matchmaking Reinvigorated (Again) [Week 11 - Swords Dance Shiftry] VOTING

Status
Not open for further replies.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
With 4 votes, PrinceLucian nabs his 5th win so congratulations are in order!!!

This week, I decided to go with a Pokemon that is most recently contending for a spot in the S rank on the VR and has been a staple in NU for quite awhile.

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Focus Blast / Seed Bomb

Garbodor is a pretty powerful glue for most teams thanks to its ability to punish most physical attackers. It also offers up a ton of utility as it is one of the few Pokemon in NU with access to Spikes and Toxic Spikes.

Submissions end on Friday.

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

-Pretty versatile core which fits on many spike stack teams, rotom is a nice speed control and spinblocker in 1 slot, checks fighting types with garbodor a lot better, since pokemon like primeape cant click EQ. Nothing much to say, pretty standard and consistent, they also check normal/flying types together decently.

Reactions: nv

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

they have a pretty good type synergy and stack up hazards very easily since you beat xatu (hardwalls that garb) with donner, garb switches into grass type attacks and donner releases some pressure from garb checking stuff like scyther and certain normals

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Frankly, Jynx is a stupidly threatening mon that can force a ton of switches, and is primarily weak to priority. Luckily, Garbodor really appreciates mons that can force switches, and mons that can switch into gastrodon, who will happily switch into it, and it loves to wear down opponents with rocky helmet, when they're using weak priority attacks. Fairly simple combo, but it works.

Jynx (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Lovely Kiss
- Nasty Plot

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Swellow has strong offensive synergy with Garbodor as specs Swellow strongly appreciates hazard support and Garbodor's is one of the most effective and splashable hazard setters in the tier. Garbodor's spikes and toxic spikes support allow it to more easily break or wear down it's checks and counters, and Swellow can U-turn out on them and force them into taking spikes and poison damage while pivoting to an appropriate answer and grabbing momentum, or go for things like Heat Wave on Steelix and wear it down even faster. Garbodor's coverage options also help to wear down and bait in many of Swellow's common checks, such as Rhydon, while being a a good switch into Hariyama, another possible common Swellow check. These two also core well with things that also appreciate common Rock/Steel types and Lanturn getting worn down such as Magmortar, Klinklang, Tauros and Kangaskhan or any that can simply capitalize well on the momentum Swellow can potentially provide vs certain pokemon.

252 SpA Choice Specs Swellow Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Eviolite Rhydon: 184-220 (44.4 - 53.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes
252 SpA Choice Specs Swellow Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 144 SpD Assault Vest Lanturn: 135-159 (34.5 - 40.6%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after 2 layers of Spikes and poison damage
252 SpA Choice Specs Swellow Boomburst vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magmortar: 133-157 (43.3 - 51.1%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes
252 SpA Choice Specs Swellow Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Aurorus: 102-120 (26.3 - 31%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, 1 layer of Spikes, and poison damage

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader

Solrock @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
- Stone Edge

Solrock forms a cool hazard stacking core with Garbodor that can tackle most normal-types such as Swellow, Kangaskhan, Kecleon, and non-Iron Tail Tauros. It also provides Garbodor with a Ground-type immunity to better handle things like Rhydon, Steelix, and Piloswine.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
And with the last-minute submission, ~Eternally nabs his 8th overall win (which is now a record and will be explained i.e. continue reading).

Now before we get to the Matchmaking this week, I have something to say. With the more recent decline in submissions, I have been feeling like this project wasn't thriving like it should be. I also got the "this post can't hold more than 65k characters" notice on the Archive post. So I figured it would be a nice time to reboot this project for its second "cycle". While this may be short with Sun and Moon so close, I felt it would be a nice way to bring activity back and revisit old Matchmaking weeks. Furthermore, the archive had illegal Pokemon such as Sceptile and Sawk or now "unviable" Pokemon such as Mawile, so I felt it would look cleaner if we started off fresh w/o any illegalities and breathe some life back into this project "staple".

This week's Matchmaking victim is one I did back in Week 10 of the previous cycle and more recently this Pokemon has been making herself known throughout the tier as one of the most threatening Pokemon to face, and for good reason.

Jynx @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Lovely Kiss
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast / Nasty Plot

Focus Sash Jynx acts as a very nice anti-lead that can potentially 6-0 a team from turn 1. It also gives Jynx lots of opportunities to set up as it has access to a sleep move in Lovely Kiss while also having a Water immunity, making it a solid check to most Water-types.

Submissions end on Friday.

Let's bring this project back to its glory days! :)

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Rhydon @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

------------------

Rhydon @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Rhydon sets up rocks, checks Fire types and Normal types like Kangaskhan and Tauros. Three aspects Jynx greatly benefits from. On the other hand Jynx deals with Grass and Fighting types that threaten Rhydon. The Double Dance set also forms a deadly core with Jynx.

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
Fuck nv is going to catch me on smogon while on vacation... I'm bored ok???? ;(

Sorry that this post sucks because I can't go on PS

EDIT: I didn't read the thread and so this is just quziel's post from last week. It's a notable partner, but I feel like I stole it from quziel. Feel free to count it if you want.

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Seed Bomb / Focus Blast

Defensive Garbodor punishes the physical attackers that bother Jynx due to Rocky Helmet. Nasty Plot Jynx absolutely adores hazards, especially Spikes, which can allow it to easily sweep late game with Nasty Plot. Focus Blast can help with Steelix, but if you are running Blast on Jynx Seed Bomb can weaken Gastrodon.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
This is a great idea rebooting this thread to make the resource much more up to date.

Scyther @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off / Pursuit
- Quick Attack

Jynx dislikes a couple of things Scyther can take care of. Malamar, who can absorb sleep. Bulky Psychic-types, who are kind of hard for Jynx to break through. Priority, Jynx is naturally frail and could have its dash broken. Scyther is able to help out in all of these departments in many ways. First of all Scyther's truck like U-Turn's pressure the first two and while Scyther isn't the perfect priority sponge, it can at least pressure Sucker Punch users and resist Mach Punch (also doesn't mind BP either) Scyther also grants momentum to help Jynx get it and start terrorizing the tier. These two Pokemon often require the same set of support to which can kind of make them a better pair (Steel-type check, hazard remover, Fire-type check.) Scyther's a pretty cool partner for Jynx.

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.

Tauros (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Climb
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Pursuit/Iron Tail

-Tauros appreciates its checks being wore down for late game,and Jynx can do that from early match,it pressures a lot of bulkier balance builds while tauros is great vs offense and faster things that jynx doesnt like. It also has ghost immunity so rotom will be pressured to shadow ball revenge jynx, while pursuit helps to trap them. Iron tail is also a good option to hit Audino,rhydon,mismagius..

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Malamar @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Malamar and jynx mesh so well together as anything one can't cover the other can with relative ease, bar scyther. With jynx being able to take down things that malamar has trouble with, such as dd don, gourg, etc. admittedly it does need some holes covered, but these two make a deadly 'psychic' spam core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)