Project NU Matchmaking Reinvigorated (Again) [Week 11 - Swords Dance Shiftry] VOTING

Status
Not open for further replies.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
And with 5 votes, Can-Eh-Dian is the winner this week with his bulky Rotom.

This week I decided to go with a mon that has been on nearly every team and I am not talking about the Grass-type...

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

This metal snek is a really good tank that can surprisingly tank a lot of physical even without physical investment, allowing it to patch up its other stats.

P.S. As I am going on hiatus soon, Winter's Howl will be taking over this and my other projects while I am gone to give him a feeling of how it is to be a big contributor in the NU subforum (thread holding wise that is lol).

P.P.S. Disjunction approved <3

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Fine, I'll take Sceptile instead. ~_~

Adrenalize (Sceptile) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Acrobatics
- Substitute

Sub + SD Sceptile is a fantastic partner for Steelix as it can OHKO or set up on the several Water types that threaten Steelix. In return, Steelix can provide valuable Stealth Rock support, helping Sceptile rack upmore KOs while also checking Pokemon that counter this set, including Poison types like Garbodor & Skuntank, and other threats such as Scyther, Klinklang, and Mawile.

Last edited:

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Lilligant (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Chlorophyll
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power (Fire)
- Healing Wish

very good partner as it can revenge the stuff that annoys steelix easily, like Rotom, Mismagius, Claydol, Samurott etc.
HP Fire > HP Rock is because Steelix handles Scyther well enough, and Healing Wish can come in very useful late-game when you need something on your team to be at full health again

Lilligant gets annoyed by Poison-types like Garbodor and Skuntank, both of which Steelix handles very well

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader

Samurott @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Aqua Jet

Samurott is a cool partner for Lix, being able to handle the fire and water types it struggles against very nicely, and pick off weakened threats with Aqua Jet. HP Electric is useful in stopping Pelipper and Mantine from coming in freely and defogging and Ice Beam can pick off weakened grass types such as Gourgeist and Plume. Special Rott in particular works quite well with Steelix, as a lot of its checks are physically defensive, and do not appreciate being hit hard on the special side. In return, lix can weaken things for Rott with rocks, block volt switches and check threats threats that Rott would have a hard time breaking through, such as Mega Audino and Musharna.

Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast/Hidden Power Grass
- Earthquake

I think Magmortar would be a good help to Steelix , The reason why I say that is because it handles Vileplume, Ferroseed and other Steelix after Rocks very, very well. You have that nice Thunderbolt to hit them Pelippers/Mantines. Focus Blast / Hidden Power Grass for coverage. And Earthquake to hit other incoming Magmortars.

Attachments

Last edited:
Haunter @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 176 Spe / 80 HP
Timid Nature
-Psychic/Dazzling Gleam
-Sludge Wave
-Thunder Bolt/Energy Ball
-Shadow Ball
The reason that I think that scarfed, yes scarfed, Haunter will perform well is mostly due to Sawk. With 176 speed and timid nature you manage to outspeed scarfed jolly sawk by two points which if steelix has hit it at all (getting it to or under 80%) then Haunter kills with Psychic. Thunder Bolt is there just for mantines and pellipers, with optional energy ball for quagsire, and sludge wave for luredino. Haunter tends to struggle against things that can outspeed it, namely choice scarf pyroar which Steelix can quite easily oneshot.

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Fake Out

Yama is a pretty cool mon with Steelix, because he absorb his weakness fire, and ice moves without adding a weakness ground or water which is pretty cool. Also, Hariyama help Steelix to deal with the specials attacker who are threatening Steelix. Also, with his two priority, Hariyama is allowed to put Archeops in defeatist range to help steelix to come more easily. Steelix help Hariyama to deal with the flying type and the poison type while Hariyama help Steelix to deal with the fire/ice type.

Last edited:

Rapture

I got so much time today

Sliggoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Outrage
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Silggoo is a great partner to Steelix since its typing and fantastic bulk allows it to handle to various fire and grass type attacks thrown at Steelix. Being able to keep wallbreakers like Magmortar, Pyroar, and Sceptile in check is pretty handy due to how prevalent all three are in the meta right now. Sap Sipper on Sliggoo is also useful for having something that doesn't get set up on by sleepers like Lilligant and Vivillon which is amazing for Steelix since they both get free turns off of Steelix and are pretty threatening to most balance builds at the moment. Even with Curse, Sliggoo's slow speed and reliance on rest for recovery means that it's still underwhelmingly weak on the physical side until you get a chance to boost up and because of that, Steelix is able to pair up well with Sliggoo due to its ability to tank most physical attacks on the tier.

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

Sliggoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Outrage
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Silggoo is a great partner to Steelix since its typing and fantastic bulk allows it to handle to various fire and grass type attacks thrown at Steelix. Being able to keep wallbreakers like Magmortar, Pyroar, and Sceptile in check is pretty handy due to how prevalent all three are in the meta right now. Sap Sipper on Sliggoo is also useful for having something that doesn't get set up on by sleepers like Lilligant and Vivillon which is amazing for Steelix since they both get free turns off of Steelix and are pretty threatening to most balance builds at the moment. Even with Curse, Sliggoo's slow speed and reliance on rest for recovery means that it's still underwhelmingly weak on the physical side until you get a chance to boost up and because of that, Steelix is able to pair up well with Sliggoo due to its ability to tank most physical attacks on the tier.

That is definitely a good partner for Steelix. One extra piece though. Water moves hurt Steelix big time. So, Sliggoo can definitely help out there with it's Dragon typing. Other than that, all for it!!!

Rapture

I got so much time today
You lose to most offensive waters in the tier (think things like Life orb Samurott and floatzel) but yea being able to switch into things like mantine and pelipper and set up is nice.

The votes have been tallied, and this round's winner is Rapture. and his Sliggoo, with 4 votes. Congratulations! Last week was great in terms of activity, so thank you to everyone who participated.

By popular demand, we are doing Rotom-N this time.

Rotom @ Spell Tag/Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball

Due to Rotom's excellent versatility, this is more of a sample set. Feel free to use whatever set you see fit. I feel that by adding this extra variable the quality of discussion will dramatically increase. We're going to do submissions until Friday, the 8th. Good luck everyone!

P.S. If you are using a set besides the one listed above, make some note of what you decided on in your post.

hmmm, what is fat, checks darks, and supports rotom with hex synergy? Oh I know!

Audino-Mega @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Wish
- Protect

Compliments the spell tag set used above very well, toxic audino is a hex synergy and wihsh is good for giving rotom it's hp back. Audino check dark types in the tier, but it also benefits from the fact that rotom checks a lot of the steels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)