Project NU Matchmaking Reinvigorated (Again) [Week 11 - Swords Dance Shiftry] VOTING

Status
Not open for further replies.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
And in a landslide, ~Eternally won this week lol. Congratulations!

This week, I am going with one of my favorite new drops that has been a nice glue on some balanced / more stallish teams...

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Earthquake / Earth Power
- Recover
- Curse / Toxic / Yawn

Gastrodon has been a really nice glue for a lot of teams and I wanna see what partners you guys come up with.

Submissions end on Friday.

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Roost

Scyther and Gastrodon share very nice type synergy, with Scyther checking Grass types while Gastrodon checks Fire, Electric, Rock, and Steels types. Pretty basic, still needs hazard control, a check to Ice types, and something to absorb/cure status, but good none the less.

Reactions: nv

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes / Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball / Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Protect / Thunder Wave

Thats a core i currently enjoy, Ferroseed and Gastrodon paired together is an awesome defensive core, they check a lot of things, ferroseed cover perfectly the grass move for gastrodon, when gastrodon can absorb these fire move even if some fire run hp grass. Gastrodon enjoy receiving leech seed's recovery as well as ferroseed enjoy seeing his opponent knocked, burned or poisoned. This core is also amazing to check normal and flying type, due to the high bulk they are, Gastrodon can just come into a Fire Blast that targeted Ferroseed and just 1v1 Tauros, while Ferroseed can 1v1 easily kangaskhan due to the recoil & cie, Ferroseed forces Swellow to lock himself into Heat Wave and help Gastrodon to come easily while Gastrodon forces Archeops to hit an HP Grass if he want to hit him hard and let Ferroseed come in (even if it fear Heat Wave).

Last edited:

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.

Sliggoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 SpD
Careful/Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Curse/Dragon Pulse
- Outrage/Ice Beam

-Very effective core for bulkier balanced builds/stall, Sliggo is a great partner to gastrodon since its able to take on every special grass sweeper that threatens gastro out, its also a good spdef wall in general and walls every electric/fire type that could potentially carry Hp grass and weaken gastro. Moveset depends on team, curse gives it a bulky win condition with downside of locking yourself into outrage, while special set gives you a passive wall with decent coverage.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Charizard
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Pretty obvious pick but Charizard and Gastrodon have basically perfect defensive synergy against individual types. Both mons can spread burns reliably and recover against weaker attackers, while Charizard can also act as a neat wincon with Swords Dance + Acrobatics once faster threats have been removed.

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
is a Top Tiering Contributor
I've been using a lot gastrodon and charizard is a great partner to it so my vote goes to erisia

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
With all but 2 votes, erisia is the winner this week! This also makes for erisia's 3rd win so congratulations on making it into the Hall of Fame! :)

This week, I decided to go with a Pokemon that recently has gained some traction thanks to Orphic, ~Eternally, and I and that is the most recently ranked...

(Winter is best forme no one can deny it)
Sawsbuck-Winter @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Double-Edge
- Baton Pass / Jump Kick

SD Sawsbuck is a really cool Pokemon with decent coverage and the ability to get out of bad situations thanks to Baton Pass. Jump Kick only works better if you have Life Orb to guarantee the OHKO on Aggron and overall better damage output while Lum Berry allows Sawsbuck to set up on potential Scald burns as well as Rotom.

Submissions end on Friday.

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader

Mesprit @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Signal Beam
- Healing Wish

Specs Mesprit is one of my favorite partners for SD Sawsbuck, since it breaks down every single one of it's checks, such as Vileplume, Garbodor, Steelix, and Weezing, as well as pivot into Fighting-type attacks from Hitmonchan, and Hariyama. Healing Wish is an added bonus which gives Sawsbuck a second chance at sweeping. Sawsbuck can also take on stuff like Rotom (the Lum berry set does this a bit better) and Lilligant which threaten Mesprit.

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Air Slash
- Toxic

Helps Sawsbuck to resist most of its weakness (Bug, Fighting, Fire) and hits them with its powerful damagin moves so it gives you a pgood chance to set sawsbuck and punch holes on the opponent's pokemon.Moreover, you can try the rest/talk.[with toxic to status bulkier pokemon that don't take much damage from mantine's STAB moves such as pelipper.]
Note: Watch out for freeze dry from aurorus or maybe piloswine since it recks both of these mons easily but yeah horn leech/jump kick can work.Switch-ins matter.

Reactions: nv

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.

Garbodor @ Expert Belt
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 136 HP / 252 SpA / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Spikes

-Offensive lure garbodor is a pretty cool partner to sawsbuck, since it breaks down some of the common sawsbuck switchins like weezing, vileplume with psychic, and focus blast does a lot of damage to steelix with max spat investment. Garbodor also sets up spikes which slowly weakens opposing team and makes sawsbuck sweep easier. I rather went with expert belt and a lot of HP investment which allows garbodor to maintain its bulk while still hitting things for enough damage,and aftermath is just great overall.

Last edited:

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earthquake

Magmortar blows past Sawsbuck normal switchins, like Scyther, Garbodor and Ferroseed. They all drop to Fire Blast. Magmortar can't come in safely on Garbodor or Scyther but it definitely revenges them and/or forces them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)