Rotom @ Spell Tag
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball

Hex Rotom is basically Klinklang's perfect partner. They have decent synergy and help teams check Normal- and Flying-types, but they also have very similar "counters" in Ground-types and Lanturn. I say "counters" because Hex Rotom majorly screws them over, especially if you have T-Spikes, as when they come in to check Rotom, it smacks them with a powerful Hex and get too low on health to take on Klinklang. Other Rotom sets work well too, as Scarf can cripple Ground-types/Lanturn with Trick and Specs can 3HKO them at worst with Shadow Ball. Stuff like Fletchinder, T-Spikes, and an actual check to Ground-types (especially Quagsire tbh). Really easy to use and has a really high reward

Last edited:
Reactions: nv
not gonna lie, congrats to NV for keeping this alive (kinda)
So the one gear wonder known as klinklang is a threat to be reckoned with, with a solid typing and good stats it is really good, so what could be the teammate for such a mon? I would say shelgon as it actually is a good teammate but people don't know the true power of it.

Klinklang + Musharna

This has always been one of my favorite cores in NU, musharna and klinklang are very good together, being able to beat each others checks more often than not, things like pyroar, quagsire, gourgiest, liepard etc can all be beaten between the two which makes it a cute couple, bug types which threaten musharna, klinklang can switch in on, and things like fighting types that threaten klinklang, well you get the point xd

The sets are the standard klinklang sub shift gear set with enough evs to outspeed base 95 scarf, and the set for musharna can be colbur signal beam or barrier/calm mind.
Klinklang @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Gear Grind
- Shift Gear
- Return

Musharna @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Signal Beam
- Psyshock
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok so I kind of failed with updating this last week due to holidays, but with the holidays over I am back baby! This "week" was pretty pitiful ngl, but we still got some good submissions (rip HJAD's Gallade submission tho). Anyways, I finally decided it was time to use of NU's more popular mons that we got in the last big tier shift. That's right I am talking about...

This little birdie has one of the most broken offensive abilities a mon could ask for with priority to add to its Flying-type moves. Anyways, I am expecting to see a lot of submission because I know this mon is a top rank threat and many know what to pair with it :)

Cacturne + Fletchinder

+

This is an offensive core really cool, both work very well together. Cacturne acts as an offensive spikes setter, Cacturne force many changes and it's easy to get opportunity to use Spikes and go undermining the enemy camp, and act as a powerful wallbreaker with its powerful stab moves. Cacturne provides spikes, which helps weaken gradually the enemy team for a subsequent sweep of Fletchinder, checks the course of checks Fletchinder as Lanturn, Rhydon and Carracosta. Water Absorb also helps in the absorption of water moves to the bird. On the other hand, Fletch chekcs fighting, grass and bug types for Cacturne which are things that cause problems to him. This is a lot of fun to use core with access to hazard stack, strong stab moves, priority and setup sweeper.

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes
- Sucker Punch

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Swords Dance

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet / Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 124 HP / 248 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Roost
- Giga Drain
- Calm Mind / U-turn

Xatu is probably the best Fletchinder partner. Xatu bounces SR for Fletchinder, which is pretty obvious, but Fletchinder forces in and burns those very Rock-types that often use SR. This means that Fletchinder supports Xatu by making its job of denying SR easier! Roost lets Xatu stick around, and be a long-term solution to many hazard users. Giga Drain hits those Rock-types super effectively, and with that speed creep, Xatu can outspeed Jolly Kabutops and Giga Drain it for the OHKO. The EVs aim to maximize physical bulk, because that's what Xatu usually switches in on. However, more general 252 HP / 120 Def gains significant special bulk for minimal loss in physical bulk. Both 252 and 125 HP EVs let your HP be even but not divisible by 4, so you'll let Roost be more effective, but you still get 4 switches into SR if it somehow ends up going up. This means setting up on special attacks with CM is easier, if you choose to go that route. The main decision of Xatu's set is Calm Mind or U-turn. I do prefer U-turn, but Calm Mind isn't that bad here if you're the type that runs it, because it breaks slowteams while Fletch bypasses fastteams.

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Lilligant @ Life Orb
Ability: Own Tempo
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder

Lilligant makes a pretty nice match for the fire burd since it can either force out or set up on most of the rock and water types that give Fletchinder a tough time. Meanwhile, Fletch can dispatch grass and poison types that can make a lilligant sweep hard to pull off. Overall the two make a pretty powerful offensive core that require minimal support to be effective. The two also share some decent type synergy though that can be said for most of the grass types in the tier.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Well with me having a really hectic irl rn, this has been on hiatus with no warning and I am truly sorry for everyone who loves / loved this project and I hope with me "reviving" it, we as a community can bring more partners to the table. Anyways, onto this week's Pokemon (which will go until next Friday so it will be a little bit more than a week). This week's Pokemon is a Pokemon that just recently caught my attention and was sadly high on the Viability Rankings but I never noticed her, and her prowess, until now. I am talking about the Ice Queen herself...

Jynx has a great STAB combo and three great sets (Sash, Life Orb, and Scarf) with a lot of versatility thanks to her access to a sleeping move with no immunities (Lovely Kiss) and a boosting move (Nasty Plot). Have fun guys, and maybe with a bit of time, we can revive this thread and go back to when I at least had more than 5 partners for a "Matchmaking Pokemon".

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Fletch + Focus Blast Jynx is an amazing combo, since Jynx is able to lure in Common Rock and Steel Types. Since most teams pick a sleep fodder then just go out to mons like Klink / Regirock on Jynx expecting to set up or get up Stealth Rocks Focus Blast deals with them and lets Fletch have an easier time sweeping. This core is a little weak to Lanturn, but Psyshock does around 40~ so after that it isn't a switch into Fletch anymore.

DID IT

edit: Speed if for Jolly Rott because some people like to watch the world burn.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Sawk @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt / Stone Edge

Sawk forms a potent wallbreaking duo with Jynx as it can smash past the Steel-types as well as specially bulky Pokemon in general which are bothersome for Jynx as it relies on Focus Blast to get past Steel types and would rather be able to use its STAB moves more freely.

Last edited:

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Roost
- Aerial Ace

Scyther and Jynx are Pokemon very commonly found in "sash offense" and they pair very nicely together. Jynx can wallbreak early game, removing the Steel- and Rock-types, such as Mawile and Regirock, that are usually the only "answers" the opposing team has to it, and after that Scyther can sweep with relative ease. They both have a huge Stealth Rock weakness, so hazard support is mandatory

okay, so when i think of jynx, i think of a mon that gets walled by steel types. Personally, in gen 5 especially, i used to love jynx + my selection:

Probopass @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

ProboJynx used to be, and is still, a really strong offensive core. Probopass' capability of trapping Jynxs main counters (steel types) thanks to magnet pull, and take them out with either earth power or hp fire. This means that essentially, jynx can run a quite niche set, sub + np + lovely kiss with mono ice beam, to maximise sweeping efficiency, since it doesnt need to worry about the likes of kangaskhan or liepard checking it midsweep after some recoil. Sure, yama is a bitch to this core, but who said you HAD to run sub :]

Last edited:

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
uhh jynx fucks up most stuff by itself because of Ice Beam/Psyshock/Focus Blast having perfect coverage alongside Lovely Kiss to incapacitate anything it doesn't straight ohko. The only stuff Jynx struggles with are mons faster than it, such as Archeops, Tauros, Scyther, and Swellow. Oh yea, also shitty priority mons like Kanga.

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 196 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave

Regirock handles most of this shit. Miscellaneous stuff like Mismagius or Floatzel it shouldn't switching into, obviously, but it handles all of the previously mentioned threats and provides Rocks + Twave support to whittle/slow down offense, respectively.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Scyther and Jynx are Pokemon very commonly found in "sash offense" and they pair very nicely together.
Nah, we're officially calling this playstyle Kiyo Offense in NU now.

Combusken @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Low Kick
- Flare Blitz

Combusken (or any other Fire/Fighting type) and Jynx share the best defensive synergy of any potential partner if we're going straight off of type charts (unless im just blind)

Combusken: 4x Resists Bug, Resists Steel, Resists Fire, and Resists Dark
Jynx: Immune to Water, Resists Psychic

Combusken also happens to take care of those pesky Steel-types that everyone hates having to hit Focus Blast on (lets be real tho, Jynx hasn't ran Focus Blast since like early XY so idk why thats an argument for steels not countering jynx) To be fair Steel-types aren't actually staying in on busken, but busken can at least switch into Klink and Mawile to an extent.

nv

The Lost Age
Ok so not really that important in terms of the thread's "goals", but go check out the new banner provided by Cretacerus for the thread. Personally I love it a lot and the funny thing is...I didn't even ask for it :D

Will give special thanks in Cretacerus's art thread here.

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
Ok so sorry for the double post, but it is update time! Sorry this is late, but irl has been increasingly busy and I am hoping it dies down soon so I don't lost this thread. Anyways, this week had some good submissions (rip metaphysical's Fletchinder post...come on meta pick a mon that won't leave or make sure when you reserve to do your post gdi lol). This week, I am doing a bit of a cop out and going for one of our new drops (in my opinion, the popular one) and that is...

This little stinker has recently graced NU with its amazing typing and great STABs. I hope to see a lot of participation (even if I am a bit irregular in updating this).

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
Reserving Linoone

Linoone @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pickup
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 40 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Seed Bomb
- Shadow Claw

Linoone is one of the most dangerous late game cleaners in NU imo, and Skuntank is a really good partner for it. Skuntank can Pursuit trap the faster Ghost-types that prevent Linoone from sweeping due to their immunity to Extreme Speed and has Memento to create setup opportunities for it, and after that Linoone can sweep most teams with relative ease

Last edited:

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Torterra @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Synthesis
- Stealth Rock
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake

Torterra is a good partner since it can handle most of the ground type attacks thrown at Skuntank and get up rocks or strike back with one of its powerful stabs accordingly. Meanwhile, Sp def Stuntank can chew most special hits that would otherwise make short work of torterra, Overall the two make a pretty good core that's also good at dealing out damage if need be.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Primeape @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Ice Punch

Would've mentioned Sawk but I ain't a braindead fukboi~

Ape doesn't really care that it doesn't have Knock Off when U-turning to Pursuit Skunk is a perfectly viable solution. It also sits in a higher Speed tier than Sawk so it doesn't have to worry about getting run down by Kangaskhans, Lilligants, opposing Sawks and whatnot. You can even be super cheeky and double switch Skunk out to Primeape on the Intimidate Mawile switch-in to nab that delicious Defiant boost and start wrecking lives hue

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Atk / 88 Def / 120 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave

Ferroseed cores really well with skunk as skunk can easily switch into and pursuit trap xatu which completely shuts ferro down. Knock off on seed removes xatu's colbur berry which helps skunk in dealing with it. Ferro can also help deal with ground types that give skunk trouble such as rhydon.

nv

The Lost Age
I got some good submissions this week and I'm happy to see this thread continue to thrive, :D

Anyways, onto this week's Pokemon...

I decided it was high time we do the one and only Mega NU has to offer as I have been recently using it again and noticing just how fat it truly is even with "offensive investment". So have fun guys and ffs metaphysical pick a mon that isn't going to leave or if you reserve, make sure to do the post ;)

Last edited:
+

Mega Audino and Quagsire form one of the strongest defensive cores in NU. Audino has problems against Poison and Steel types like Arbok andKlinklang(if not carry grass coverage in the case of the firs) Quagsire can win all these and also booting sweepers while Mega Audino can handle Shiftry, Torterra (less if they have SD) and Cacturne which are some of the Pokémon who can win Quasire, and also cure Quagsire of some bad status.

Audino @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover
- Curse

Last edited:
+

For this pairing I'll be using specs Probo w/ the standard offense CM MDino set on the dex.

Some noteable mons that Mdino will have trouble with are Muk, Skuntank, Mawile and Klinklang. This partnership is pretty strong and rather obvious why it works. Probo doesn't give a damn about Poison type attacks and takes Steel types neutrally while outspeeding or just out damaging it's users. Out of all of these, Klinklang is the only one that's troublesome but that's only if they're already boosted. However both mons have trouble with Banded Sawk/Primeape that choose the correct coverage move but who the fuck doesnt. MDino can beat those two assuming they switch in or it's a straight 1v1 w/ rocks up to break Sturdy but this isn't a pokemon dueling simulator. Overall I'd say the partnership is solid and it doesn't cover everything in the tier, but w/ the stuff Probo beats for Mdino out of the way it can be an easy win.

Audino @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast
- Psychic

Probopass @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The given set for Probo allows you to outspeed Max Spd offensive Mawile with a neutral nature by two points, max SpA ensures as many OHKOS and 2HKOs as possible noteable ones being these:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Probopass Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mawile: 362-426 (150.2 - 176.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Mawile Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Probopass: 133-157 (50.9 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Luckily you outspeed assuming they don't run a +Speed nature which is bad anyways

252+ SpA Choice Specs Probopass Earth Power vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Klinklang: 258-304 (90.8 - 107%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 40 HP / 4 Def Probopass: 110-132 (40.5 - 48.7%) -- approx. 2.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ Atk Klinklang Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 40 HP / 4 Def Probopass: 164-194 (60.5 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Even if they boost on the switch to Probo you win most of the time, if theres any residual damage besides SR you're golden

252+ SpA Choice Specs Probopass Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Muk: 120-142 (34 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Muk Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Probopass: 56-67 (21.4 - 25.6%) -- 55.8% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock

You also beat banded variants, 2hko on them vs 3hko on you

You can outdamage Skuntank through recovery. Skunk is 2hko'd through black sludge w/ EP assuming it stays in.

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
+

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Explosion
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Leaf Storm

Shiftry + MegaDino forms a really cool core in the current meta due to the fact Shiftry is able to lure in the most common CroDino check in this meta which is Skuntank. Explosion is a guaranteed KO which would allow MegaDino to clean up late game as most teams only have Skuntank as their MegaDino check.

252 Atk Life Orb Shiftry Explosion vs. 24 HP / 0 Def Skuntank: 409-482 (115.8 - 136.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)