1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

NU Sunny Day Team

Discussion in 'Past Gen Teams' started by abyssmalstar, Sep 12, 2010.

1. abyssmalstar

abyssmalstar

Hey guys, welcome to my RMT for a Sunny Day team I've been working on and testing in shoddy and pokemon online.

Changes will be in Bold Blue
    Now lets get started with:
    Team Building Process

I love weather effects, they are so much fun! Anyways, I wanted to get a good sunny day lead that can quickly take care of Sunny Day benefits and use fake out, which is one of my favorite moves to lead with, as it gets rid of the oh so popular focus sash. So my best choice was Shiftry
    [​IMG]

Next I needed a special sweeper that could just flat out dominate in the Sun. This kind of thing is harder to find in NU, but if you look at the Pokemon that can abuse the sun the most, I found that a nice speedy Bellossom did the trick the best
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Now the main weakness to Bellossom was obviously going to be fire types, and in the case of Sunny Day teams, you might as well fight fire with, Flash Fire. This brings me to my next pokemon, Ninetails
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Now I have 2 special sweepers in play, and I really need a physical sweeper to go to if special just isn't so .... special. Now, finding a pokemon that can abuse the sun and still be physical is hard, but Victreebel can do it better then a lot
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Now, Sunny day won't last forever in a 6 on 6 matchup, and Fire types can definitely plow through a lot of my team if Ninetales is knocked out, so I needed a bulky water type that can last for a while if it needs to. Lapras fit the bill perfectly
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Lastly I needed some sort of physical man that can tank through a lot of sweepers and still remain standing, and the mustachioed magnet Probopass seemed like the way to go
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

IN DEPTH LOOK

[​IMG]
    Yrtfihs (Shiftry) @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 2 HP/212 Atk/252 Spd/44 SAtk
    Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Explosion
    - Fake Out
    - Solarbeam
    - Sunny Day

Fake Out Lead, then of course Sunny Day. With Chlorophyll, if Shiftry gets hit down to its focus sash, as long as the sunny day went up, it can usually explode in the guys face making the battle 5 on 5, always more fun. Solar Beam for STAB Sun abuse, full speed to ensure the first fake out, just in case, More attack then SAtk because I'll end up using Explosion more then Solar Beam.

[​IMG]
    BellAWESOME (Bellossom) @ Heat Rock
    EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
    Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Sunny Day
    - Solarbeam
    - Synthesis
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    Wow, Bellossom is truly BellAWESOME, hence the nickname. The sun just makes it go into complete beastmode, it can wipe out entire teams with a Sunny Day Solar beam, along with the Chlorophyll speedboost. HP Fire comes in handy a lot on steel and grass switch ins. For fire switch ins, I can go straight into:

[​IMG]
    Ninetales @ Life Orb
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk/6 SDef
    Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Flamethrower
    - Energy Ball
    - Hidden Power [Rock]
    If Ninetails is sent in onto a fire move, that gives it two huge boosts on its fire moves, Flash Fire and Sunny Day. Right after that it can Calm mind to see if there will be a switch, or use HP Rock to take out many fire types. Energy ball is extremely useful for taking down water switch ins

[​IMG]
    Victreebel @ Life Orb
    EVs: 120 HP/252 Atk/2 Def/136 Spd
    Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Sleep Powder
    - Sucker Punch
    - Leaf Blade
    Great physical sweeper. Put opponents to sleep to get a free SD, then if the sleeper stays in, you can either SD again or go ahead and attack. Sucker punch is going to hit almost all sleepers due to the love of sleeping Pokemon to attack right after waking up, Leaf Blade is a solid STAB move that can go for tons of damage after 2 SDs and usually only after 1

[​IMG]
    Ferry (Lapras) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EVs: 96 HP/160 SAtk/252 SDef
    Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Surf
    - Thunderbolt
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    Great lapras for tanking and stalling with its Rest Talk surf and TBolt. used to be a Bolt Beam sleep talker, but then i couldn't take down fire types at all, so I made the switch to Surf/Bolt. Water absorb for switching in after Ninetails.

[​IMG]
    Mag (Probopass) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Magnet Pull
    Evs: 252 Hp/168 SDef/88 Atk
    Careful nature (+SDef,-SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Iron Head
    - Explosion
    - Toxic
    This is probably the worst member of my team, but still it can go well with the rest of the team. It can revenge kill pretty well for the fire types that come in, along with using toxic then switching into my Stall lapras. Boom when necessary, Iron Head, reliable STAB move.

Thanks for reading, and please RmT
  2. YaM

YaM

Ok I don't play NU but I have experience with sun, so here goes:

Replace Bellossom for Vileplume. You trade cuteness and a 100 base special defense for a 100 base special attack. Plus you get Sludge Bomb which helps as a STAB attack against Fire types. Synthesis/SolarBeam/HP Fire/Sludge Bomb is the way to go.

Also Ninetales might appreciate the added power of SolarBeam. I'm not sure if you know of an item called Heat Rock which extends the sun turns to 8 instead of 5. I'm quite sure your Sun abusers will appreciate that. I'm sure Shiftry won't be OHKOed too soon (except for U-turns... But you have Probo) so run Heat Rock on him. Also run Sunny Day on Probopass instead of Iron Head and Heat Rock so your sweepers will be much happier.

You say Lapras is for Fire types but in theory, he doesn't resist Fire and Surf's damage is halved during Sun. Maybe Walrein with Thick Fat will help you? Best run a Fire resist.

Oh and if you find that Amy of your Sun sweepers are lacking, Specs Typhlosion's Eruption rapes UU (2HKO Milotic!) so it should rape even more in NU
  3. Hamstern

Hamstern

I have never really rated a team before, and this is just a quick one, but I think you should have at least 3 pokémon that can set up sunny day.

I would suggest you replace Probopass with Regirock who is now NU. He gives you another fire resist, while being able to set up stealth rock, sunny day and he can even explode do get in a sunny day sweeper asap. Probopass can run this set too, but Regirock has much better attack. The probopass you running know doesn't seam to do much for the rest of the team..

Regirock @ Heat rock
    Ability: Clear body
    Evs: 252 Hp/4 Atk/ 252 spDef
    Careful nature (+SDef,-SAtk) or Impish (+Def,-SAtk)
    - Stealth rock
    - Sunny day
    - Stone edge / Rock slide
    - Explosion / Earthquake
  4. Wynought

Wynought

Why do you need a Fire resist when you have Ninteales who thrives off any Fire attacks launched at your sweepers? And, Ninetales wants Nasty Plot > Calm Mind. Victreebel wants Encore > Sleep Powder as he is your only way of dealing with Substitute boosters, especially when the Sun subsides. I'd definitely Opt for Regirock as your lead, not a Probobpass replacement.

The problem with Shiftry is he is best used as a Sun abuser, simple as that. Plus, take into consideration the common leads in NU nowadays; Purugly - Posseses a Faster Fake Out and can proceed to kill with U turn, Persian - Can Fake Out, Taunt and Kill with U turn, Gligar - Fast taunter, Piloswine - Ice Shard and Scarf Charizard/Typhlosion - I don't even need to.

So, If you prefer a suicide lead I'd suggest replacing it with Regirock;

Regirock @ Heat rock
    Ability: Clear body
    Evs: 252 HP /4 Atk / 252 SDef
    Careful nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Sunny Day
    - Stone Edge
    - Explosion

Or a Persian;

Persian @ Heat rock
    Ability: Technician
    Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
    Jolly Nature
    - Fake Out
    - Taunt
    - Sunny Day
    - Hypnosis - For a free switch to your abusers

Or a Gligar;

Gligar @ Heat rock
    Ability: Hyper Cutter
    Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
    Jolly Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Taunt
    - Sunny Day
    - U turn / Roost

The thing about using Gligar is you don't need a Yache Berry or Sash because Ice attacks are decreased in power, giving him more of a longevity, meaning he can be used over and over again to provide Sun support.

As for your Sun abusers they look fine, but I don't like the look of only having one Sunny Day abuser, while you have one who is half a provider. If you want such a set I'd replace Bell with Sunflora. Why? Higher Special Attack, a higher damage out put throughout the Sunny Day turns. + It has Sludge Bomb, so no need for Vileplume.

Sunflora @ Heat Rock
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
    Timid Nature
    - Sunny Day
    - Solarbeam
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Bel looks fine.

That's all for now, but I'll be back for a second check if you make any changes. Good luck ;D

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)