Project ORAS NU Theorymons

Status
Not open for further replies.

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Tort + M-Aud

Tho tbf, if these mons got those abilities, one would be A+/S (Tort) and the other would most likely have a suspect then be banned (M-Aud)
Sorry about not properly discussing and such lol, been slightly busy.

My Mon: Rhydon+Head Smash (I'm not pulling no punches here LOL)

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Mr. Mime and Tort

Basically means it can play more aggressive, and this very useful mon in the meta right now is no longer hard stopped by skuntank, while only giving up a bit of its psychic resistance, and its steel resistance. This also means that its CM set gets a bit more viability, as it gets a better stab, though it'll still probably be all kinds of mediocre.

Reactions: poh

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.
skuntank and mr mime

torterra loses to ice types depite thick fat and audino can get of its toxic with heal bell or restalk,while skuntank can get rid of item from its common switchins and mr mime becomes gardevoir

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Torterra and Mr. Mime win!

Week 17:
+ Fairy-type
+ Head Smash
+ Rock Slide
+ 109 Base Atk, Flare Blitz

Reactions: nv
Mismagius has a fantastic defensive typing, not being weak to Dark like other Ghost-types tend to be. It still is rather weak though and it now loses to Steelix instead of beating it. (Though you can always run Will-O-Wisp)

Rhydon won't be this tier's equivalent to RU Tyrantrum due to its bad defensive typing and bad speed, but once it gets the ball rolling via a Dual Dance set, oh man would it be fun to abuse.

Rock Slide Sawsbuck gives it great coverage, hitting Fire and Flying-types reliably a lot of the time. A slight boost in viability but nothing major.

Physical Pyroar has STAB Return/Facade to abuse with its new found attack stat, as well as coverage in Wild Charge. Considering both of its attack stats are the same now, it adds a whole lot of unpredictability to the table. Probably my favorite of the nominations.

Ghost/Fairy Mismagius
Mismagius gains a really nice typing both offensively and defensively. It pretty much instantly becomes a huge threat thanks to not being weak to Knock Off, and having really nice Fairy STAB.
Also, Melons-N-Soda, if you wanna beat Steelix, you run Mystical Fire + Will-O-Wisp.... I'm dead serious.... You can do that, for Ferroseed, too.

Head Smash Rhydon
Step 1: Give Rhydon a Choice Band or Eviolite (for Rock Polish) and Rock Head or Reckless

Step 2: Send out Rhydon

Step 2.5: If Rock Polish, click Rock Polish.

Step 3: Click Head Smash and get a kill/

Step 4: Switch because they just sent in a *insert Grass or Water-type*.

Head Smash Rock Head/Reckless Rhydon is seriously powerful, only held back by it's low speed and typing. What's better is that if a Steel-type switches in to take it, any Steel-type not named Ferroseed risks overpredicting a switch and getting EQ'd to the next millennium.

Rock Slide Sawbsuck
Rock Slide would be really nice coverage move and now has something over Leafeon, and can fit it onto a moveset, unlike Shiftry. Pretty good.

Physical Pyroar
Becomes a huge physical threat (or still a Special threat, as it still has 109 SpAtk) with moves like Flare Blitz, Return, Crunch, and Wild Charge ON TOP OF MOXIE. Only problem is due to it's typing and recoil damage, it gets worn down very easily.... Also, this makes Flareon pretty obsolete ;~;

My nom: Throh + Slack Off
MUCH better wall and phazer, could even be broken, and that's all I'm going to say.

Last edited:

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Ghost/Fairy Missy now has a useful second stab, and its NP set really appreciates this. Also, it now has a much better niche in the tier, as our only non-pursuit (or dark) weak ghost, and can just generally wall, and set up, or sweep more teams. Overall, a very solid buff that gives it an important niche over rotom, and other ghosts.

Head Smash Rhydon is basically op. A double dance set breaks literally everything in the tier barring like gastrodon, and even then, it breaks that with spikes. There's basically no reason not to run it, and it almost completely outclasses Aggron now, as it has significantly higher base attack, and much higher bulk, and better typing. Its frankly absurd how much damage this mon can do. Like, a + 2 Head Smash OHKOs standard weezing. This mon would be very quickly banned, and if not, easily S ranked, and would just break the tier open.

Just Did a One vs. All calc for NU:
+2 252+ Atk Rhydon Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 208+ Def Mega Audino: 339-400 (82.6 - 97.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Rhydon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Gastrodon: 331-390 (77.6 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Rhydon Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 128 Def Torterra: 228-269 (57.8 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Rhydon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Poliwrath: 267-315 (69.5 - 82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
may have missed some, but it has a chance to OHKO Mega-Audino after rocks with a neutral attack at +2. Which is insane.

Rock Slide Sawsbuck basically gets a useful stab that lets it hit scyther and charizard for almost twice as hard as its current Double Edge does, issue is, that double edge hits almost everything else harder than rock slide, so its not an amazing increase in viability, but makes a currently weak mon more secure in its niche, and slightly better in the tier. Overall, I like this buff, as it doesn't really make the mon OP, just makes it a fair bit easier to justify sticking on a team.

Physical Pyroar Basically, this gives pyroar a whole lot of flexibility, as it makes a banded, or even scarved set very viable, and even when fully invested in its physical side, it still has the ability to do stuff like 2hko rhydon with an uninvested jolly life orb hp grass, which makes it into a cool balance breaker, especially when it can now take on hariyama much more effectively. Basically, the Life Orb set gets to retain its ability to take on most fire weak mons, while being able to easily go mixed, and having the ability to easily 2HKO Hariyama and Lanturn, which it had no real hope of doing before. That's in addition to its ability to easily get out of control, and basically break teams with its versatility. This is another buff that has the potential to make a mon too powerful for the tier, as its only real weaknesses are how easily the physical set gets worn down, while a mixed set basically could just run Fire Blast/Return/Hp Grass/Taunt and just eat through teams.

Last edited:
Moxie Pyroar seems awesome with Base 109 Atk and Flare Blitz
252 Atk Choice Band Pyroar Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 208+ Def Mega Audino: 182-216 (44.3 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Pyroar Bounce vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Hariyama: 370-436 (86.2 - 101.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Pyroar Iron Tail vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 166-196 (47.2 - 55.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
So, with that being said I think it's awesome how Pyroar has a decent phsyical movepool and how it gets wild charge for water types. Taunt and HP grass is also nice. I could see this pyroar running so many sets that would make it hard to predict on what it's going for. Special, physical, mixed, banded, scarfed moxie, charcoal, e-belt + moxie, LO, etc. Honestly, it could be broken haha

Ghost/Fairy Alolan Mismagius also seems legit as it doesn't have to worry about pursuit or sucker punch as much thanks to fairy typing;pretty much allowing to sweep and pivot much better. Also with STAB dazzling gleam it can 2HKO malamar reliably and knock it out at +2 (obviously). In all honesty, the fairy typing helps it have a better time against dark types lol.

Also, I feel like Fearow + Reckless & Brave Bird would be legit heat as a slate nom

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
+ Fairy-type: This would be a pretty solid upgrade for Mismagius, making it less vulnerable to Pursuit and giving it a reliable secondary STAB move that hits most Ghost resists relatively hard. With a neutrality to Dark, stallbreaker missy would definitely rise in popularity, although its a shame that it gets a worse matchup versus Steelix.

+ Head Smash: This would just be stupidly strong and would def send Donner straight to the S ranks (perhaps even suspect worthy). Not much to say about this one, other than its really strong.

+ Rock Slide: Probably the weakest out of the bunch, Sawsbuck pretty much has no room to run this. Double Edge still hits Flying-types like a truck while also OHKOing Poison-types after an SD. Jump Kick provides far better coverage for not getting walled by Steel-types, particularly ferroseed and Steelix which would freely switch in and set up rocks on Sawsbuck. Even if you used Scarf Sawsbuck you'd have to give up on baton pass which kinda sucks. I could see rock slide being slightly relevant on chlorophyll sets, maybe giving Sawsbuck a more defined niche on Sun teams, but nothing really notable.

+ 109 Attack & Flare Blitz: This would make Pyroar extremely dangerous, particularly late game as a moxie sweeper, although it would be pretty much hard walled by Rock-types due to a lack of Earthquake. Physical Pyroar would def have merit though, for luring Fire-type checks like Hariyama, Grumpig, Mantine, and Clefairy, so thats pretty cool. I think a mixed set with Work Up might have potential, like Fire Blast / HP Grass / Return / Work Up or Wild Charge, since you lure checks to both sets and become a lot more threatening. One issue the Physical set would have is the abundance of physical walls in the tier, as well as the issue most physical fire-types face in low longevity due to Flare Blitz recoil, Pyroar suffers from this even more due to a lack of Ground STAB. Overall, this would make Pyroar more unpredictable and boost its viability, but I believe the Special set would still be superior, simply for the fact that it isn't stopped cold by Rock-types and has a little more longevity.

My nom: Fraxure + Earthquake and Noctowl + Boomburst

+ Fairy-type
this gives mismagius a way to shine even more as a stallbreaker. it makes it able to check fighting-type even better since it's not weak to knock off anymore, making it able to hold another item than colbur berry. really cool overall, especially if it gets moonblast.

+ Head Smash
double dance + head smash would just be broken lol. a really powerful pokemon that would tear unprepared teams apart, although it may be harder for it to work on a non-dd set, still love it nonetheless.

+ Rock Slide
i dont really know about this. it's a good way to hit charizard and stuff but double edge does a good job already imo. i guess not having a recoil is nice, so yea why not. a pokemon that id definetely use more.

this one is the one that i like the most. being able to hit a lot of things thanks to its movepool and now good base atk, but also moxie would just be broken. both its sets would be extremly powerful and i think that pyroar would definitely rise in usage and viability ranking.

personal nomination: wigglytuff + moonblast, 71 base speed.

Last edited:
+ 109 Attack & Flare Blitz: One issue the Physical set would have is the abundance of physical walls in the tier, as well as the issue most physical fire-types face in low longevity due to Flare Blitz recoil, Pyroar suffers from this even more due to a lack of Ground STAB. Overall, this would make Pyroar more unpredictable and boost its viability, but I believe the Special set would still be superior, simply for the fact that it isn't stopped cold by Rock-types and has a little more longevity.
I disagree with this. Steel beats rock as well my dude, not just ground. And I would prefer Iron Tail over ground move due to Mega Audino. Granted if it got earthquake, it'd be nice for rock types due to the accuracy it has over iron tail. BUT I wouldn't say Pyroar is stopped cold by rock types as Iron Tail can easily 3HKO Tank Regirock and Tank Rhydon; which means that they can be warned down especially if Pyroar is on a team with Spike stacking Garb.

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

The most interesting one out of the pack for sure. This would make Pyroar extremely versatile by running a physical, a mixed or just the special set we all know. Lots of current checks to Pyroar get hit hard with its new base attack stat, gatting the 2HKO on mons like Hariyama, Magmortar, Lanturn (see calcs). Despite this great boost it would still have a hard time against bulky rock types like Regirock and Carracosta.

Pyroar @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge / HP Grass
- Iron Tail / Taunt

252 Atk Life Orb Pyroar Frustration vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Hariyama: 286-339 (66.6 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Pyroar Frustration vs. 40 HP / 252 Def Lanturn: 211-250 (52.6 - 62.3%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Pyroar Frustration vs. 104 HP / 0 Def Magmortar: 265-313 (83.5 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Pyroar Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kabutops: 218-257 (83.5 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Pyroar Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Samurott: 257-304 (77.6 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Weezing and Chan and also... just cuz i wanna send in my own submission:

Lord Poliwrath with Drain Punch <3
Hi, I'm not sure why you're voting for Weezing and Chan because that voting ended a month ago, also we already did Poliwrath + Drain Punch.

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Mismagius + Fairy Type
Fairy typing gets rid of Mismag's weakness to dark making it slightly more resilient in the face of pursuit trappers like Skuntank. Offensive sets also get a huge boost in STAB Dazzling Gleam which can be used to take out Dark-types and Guts Fighting-types trying to switch into a predicted Will-o

Rhydon + Head Smash

This is another neat concept, Rhydon will finally be able to get some use out of one of its abilities. Access to recoilless Head Smash makes DD Don even more threatening than it is currently and definitely wouldn't hurt tank Rhydon either. Simply put, Rhydon's dual STAB already checks most of the tier and a 50 BP boost Head Smash provides only serves to make it more threatening.

Sawsbuck + Rock Slide
As others have said, this is probably the weakest candidate this week. Aside from being somewhat unnecessary (Double-Edge already does more than enough to Fire- and Flying-types imho) Rock Slide takes up valuable space in Sawsbuck's moveset whether it replaces Agility or Jump Kick.

Pyroar + 109 Atk and Flare Blitz

Now this I like. Flare Blitz + 109 base Atk Pyroar has to be one of the most original slates I've seen in a while and I commend whoever thought of it. Pyroar is finally able to make use of its Moxie ability and becomes a fearsome late-game cleaner with the ability to eliminate Rock-types from the fray with Iron Tail.

my nom: Gabite + Dragon Dance

Mismagius + Fairy Type:

As others have said, its typing becomes much more defensively potent. What stands out to me is that the defensive set now has zero need to run Colbur Berry, so it can use Leftovers without fear of taking as much from Knock Off or Pursuit. Dual Ghost and Fairy STAB is also really great offensive coverage, since they hit each others' resistances either neutrally or super-effectively.

Rhydon + Head Smash:

Poor Aggron just can't compete. While Rhydon does still have two 4x weaknesses, they're to the less offensively prominent Water and Grass instead of the almost ubiquitous Fighting and Ground, making it easier for Rhydon to switch in and set up a Swords Dance or even a Rock Polish. With Eviolite bulk backing it up, Rhydon makes for a tank with bulk and some tremendous and hard to switch into power. Rock Head Smash doesn't even have accuracy drawbacks comparatively, since Stone Edge's accuracy isn't any better than Head Smash's.

So as to not ignore Rhydon's other Recoil related ability, I ran a quick calc on a Reckless Head Smash against Weezing:

252 Atk Reckless Rhydon Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Weezing: 202-238 (60.4 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

On one hand, goodbye Weezing. On the other hand, goodbye Rhydon. You'd probably want to run Rock Head.

Sawsbuck + Rock Slide:

I'm not that familiar with Sawsbuck, but on the surface the poor fellow doesn't seem to gain much from the addition. Since most of Rock Slide's targets (Fire and Flying) don't already resist Sawsbuck's Normal STAB, there isn't a whole lot to gain. I guess you'd be able to hit Archeops super-effectively? Though Grass STAB already hits neutrally... Oh, you would be able to hit Trevenant neutrally, actually.

252 Atk Life Orb Sawsbuck Rock Slide vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Trevenant: 112-133 (31.4 - 37.3%) -- 80% chance to 3HKO

I mean, it's not a great hit, but it's still a hit.

Pyroar + Flare Blitz + 109 Attack:

At last, Pyroar can make use of Moxie! While Iron Tail's shaky accuracy makes it not my favorite way to take out Rock-types, it'll do in a pinch, and STAB Return and Flare Blitz are power boosts that Pyroar would love. Being able to reasonably run either Special or Physical adds extra unpredictability, as others have said, and with access to Work Up or Moxie boosts, a mixed set that surprises both Special and Physical walls isn't out of the question. Even so...

252+ Atk Life Orb Pyroar Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 159-187 (38.4 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

You'll definitely want some support in taking out Rock-type tanks, though.

After comparing Head Smash Rhydon and Aggron, I think I'd like to level the playing field a little and nominate Aggron + Dragon Dance. Similar Mons like Tyranitar get Dragon Dance, and the move gives Aggron both speed and power, which could help it achieve the strength it needs but tends to lack without a Choice Band.

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Time to vote!
+ Fairy-type
+ Head Smash
+ Rock Slide

Vote or your two favourites.

Reactions: nv
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)