Resource XY NU Viability Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gorebyss should move up anyway, because you can also surprise your opponent and use it as a standalone sweeper with Smash, Surf, Ice Beam, HP Grass/Substitute, and it's pretty damn effective in that role as well. Base 114 SpA is excellent, it reaches 446 speed after a smash (which is enough to outspeed things like Adamant Scarf Ape, Jolly is pissweak) and it has pretty decent bulk too with 55/105/75. Behind screens, it's virtually unstoppable, but it doesn't necessarily need them either. It's the most versatile Baton Passer due to having access to almost every boosting move you can think of and only has 2 weaknesses.

Also, for those saying "You can only pass with Gorebyss once", if you're doing it right, that should be enough to win you the game most of the time anyway, and I've passed more than once with Gorebyss on several occasions as well. Since it has pretty good natural bulk, even at -1 you can usually survive a hit and pass into something which resists the moves that the threat in front of you has. There are also quite a lot of defensively inclined pokemon in the tier which Gorebyss can set up on a second time. Also, when using Gorebyss to Pass into Xatu instead of Combusken, you free up a move slot to run Substitute instead of Calm Mind, which helps prevent crits, secondary effects and moves like Dragon Tail from screwing you over, and allows you to avoid Sucker Punches.

Not moving it up would be crazy, as it, along with Combusken, is starting to define the meta, and they are both amazing forces which should be at the top of any teams priority list. Gorebyss for A.

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I will take pride in the fact that I hyped up Combusken on the 4th post of this thread lol. But Torterra C- ---> at least C+, if not B-. Very good matchup right now against alot of lead pokes atm. Very bulky poke that has very strong stab moves in wood hammer and earthquake. Can run bullet seed to mess with stuff like non ice beam lead omastar (i do run yache berry sometimes) and rindo berry seismitoad if you want. Also has decent enough speed to surprise pokes with investment without really sacrificing alot of bulk. Can also go max defensive, which has a 75% to live belly drum slurpuff after rocks (imo is the benchmark for a very good defensive pokemon) and kill with earthquake or wood hammer. Better than crap stuff like sandslash armaldo and stunfisk at least

I agree that Golurk is a great mon, but it's not an effective spinblocker. It can't switch into like any of the spinners in the tier except maybe Armaldo. Even Torkoal can run wisp, while Cryogonal (which is probably the best spinner) and Avalugg, even Delibird and Wartortle, destroy you with super effective STAB.

Edit: I forgot about Sandslash but as Jaguar points out, it always runs Knock off.
The main point I was trying to make is that spinners (and even most defoggers) can't just switch in and try to spin away his rocks like they can to other setters, which makes him reliable at actually getting them up, and keeping them there for a while. He also has a favorable match-up against most other setters (Armaldo, Archeops, Golem, Regirock, Caracosta, Probo, Bastiodon, etc) as he can start off by delivering a Dynamic to the face, which can prevent them all from doing anything at all, while giving you free turns to set rocks and dish out more attacks. D-Punch, EQ and Stone Edge is really good coverage and prevents a lot of things (especially hazard removers) from being able to comfortably switch in.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Then can go into Xatu and raise your Special Stats with Xatu
First I make her acid spray then i drop raise my special d.

combusken is inf better than gorebyss for a variety of reasons, but ill argue the two most important imo. Combusken doesnt need to take a hit to pass boosts. You can be more calculated and have more options with it. you can pass just one speed boost to a pokemon with protect and bp and that'll be enough most of the time because combusken didnt take a hit so it can pass later and you bp'd out to a decent matchup hopefully. Gorebyss on the other hand HAS to take a hit to shell smash, which limits how many times it can smash pass per game. And if its running white herb, then it can probably only pass once a game. And even if it successfully bp's the mon its passing to has to take a significant hit unless gorebyss can manage to OHKO the mon after a smash.

secondly when you're bp'g with combusken you have much better recipients and as a result aren't vulnerable to priority. Because of how often and reliably combusken can pass boosts the there are going to be multiple pokemon you can pass to. you dont have to set up screens or use memento to get some initial boosts. Combusken's raw bulk with eviolite allows it to pass multiple times a game and the common recipients Xatu/Gatr/Puff/Kanga are bulky enough mons and don't care about priority because of the defense boosts passed by combusken. Gatr/Kanga have priority of teir own, Puff has infinite bulk, and xatu can roost off prior damage so it can't be chipped away by priority. Gorebyss recipients are quite vulnerable to priority because they often have to take a decent hit when it gets bp'd into initially and defense boosts aren't passed to it.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So I havent been using the bulk up variant version of Combusken I have been using the Swords Dance variant. And while no where near as good as passing into some OP shit like Xatu, Swords Dance is still really really good. The amount of times where I have played terribly and won just because I hit Swords Dance and baton pass into Kanga and watched stuff die is ridiculous. I have even used it in higher tiers (OU and UU) against competent players (not this low ladder shit some ppl like to post) with moderate success. My point is that I could come in multiple times with Combusken on various things Swords Dance once on the switch as they switch into a "check" and then when I BP into Kanga at +1 speed and +2 attack I am able to sweep teams. And I was also able to BP into various other things on my team multiple times like has been stated above, I dont have to BP right out into my sweeper I can BP into a wall and at +2 attack it is gonna do some damage. And then later come back in with a full health Combusken and its rinse and repeat. Also in some cases where I had to set up on a mon that isnt usually advised to be set up on, I was able to take a SE hit from that mon, like toad, and SD once and BP out and sweep. Also Flare Blitz/Fire Punch isnt there to sweep mons, its there so if something like plume comes in you dont have to take a sleep powder you can just straight up kill it. Or if you need to get a kill vs a weakened opponent its there as an option.

Edit: Also sorry to keep showing this replay Blaziken but I think it shows how easy it is to set up and sweep with BP Combusken. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nubeta-137910327 Also please note how I still had a full health Combusken with a full health Sawk to pass into if Kanga died.

Not complaining, but a) your opponent is pretty bad, and b) ladder rankings mean nothing. The ladder is incredibly easy to work with, and even a #1 peak is relatively insignificant in representing the viability of a team or a player due to the nature of players on the ladder. Anything under 20 shouldn't even be talked about really if someone is actually attempting to ladder.

Secondly, the discrussiong of CBusk vs Goreb is simple. Gorebyss can't pass more than once without accepting the fact that it will be forced to pass -1 defenses I would agree, making it much more unreliable being able to pass more than once isn't much of a detriment, you just have to build your team correctly so that it makes the most of the one pass. Unlike this, Combusken can actually perform multiple passes reliably this is true, as well as sweep outright on its own lol, Gorebyss has 2 times the sweeping ability as Combusken, also, running blitz throws the idea of multiple passes out the window, and at as a revenge killer by coming in on a slower sweeper and hitting a protect I can agree, but this is a rare occurance. Combusken is simply the more effective passer in the long run, as it can pass its boosts multiple times, and by the way, it is far bulkier than Gorebyss yes, but Gorebyss has moves to +2 both defenses, making it better (imho). Gorebyss is much more easily inhibited in terms of passing defensive boosts um...Combusken can only +1 Def, Gorebyss can +2 Def AND +2 Sdef..., and spends multiple turns setting up, potentially offering an opponent who can outboost you [e.g. BD Slurpuff] free setup.. This is true, but you can easily pass to the sweeper as soon as Slurpuff/Gatr/etc. comes in, allowing you to kill it before it does anything
Sorry I didn't know this about the ladder, but if anything under #20 is worthless, many of the top-notch teams and sets on this forum would be gone. What I was trying to do was show how this kind of BP is viable and show a new perspective on the Gorebyss vs. Combusken.

My responses in bold btw.

Edit: Because of the points above, I'd say that both Combusken and Gorebyss should go to A.

You say that Gorebyss, doesn't have to pass more than once when you build your team correctly, and only passing once isn't a detriment, however, it is a detriment. Just the fact that Combusken can come in multiple times and be useful almost everytime is a reason Gorebyss should stay in B. You are saying that you should build your team correctly to make the most of one pass. By that logic, then if you build your team correctly around Combusken, then it is even better than Gorebyss because it can pass multiple times. Honestly Combusken doesn't even need that much support at all and can be thrown on to a team pretty easily while Gorebyss is not as easy to throw on, especially a defense boosting one. You also say that Gorebyss has twice the sweeping capabilities as Combusken, but then you bring up said gimmicky double defense boosting Gorebyss, which has no room for any damaging moves and is complete taunt bait. Any competent player can see a double boosting Gorebyss right away in team preview and take necessary precautions. Gorebyss might be able to pass defense boosts, attack boosts, and speed boosts but Combusken can do that all with only one move, while still being able to actually kill something if need be. While Gorebyss can sweep, and pass defense boosts, it cant do both and can only do either once, maybe twice, per match, while Combusken has multiple setup opportunities per match, and is overall much better.
Combusken to A/A+
Gorebyss stays in B+

Last edited:
You say that Gorebyss, doesn't have to pass more than once when you build you're team correctly, and only passing once isn't a detriment, however, it is a detriment. Just the fact that Combusken can come in multiple times and be useful almost everytime is a reason Gorebyss should stay in B Gorebyss's single pass will be far more useful than the composite of all of Combusken's passes in a match because of the fact that Combusken can only +1 Def and can't boost SDef at all, making Gorebyss's recipient actually survive. You are saying that you should build your team correctly to make the most of one pass. By that logic, then if you build your team correctly around Combusken, then it is even better than Gorebyss because it can pass multiple times No, because the passes given by Combusken are just +2/3 Spe and +1 Atk and Def (against any competent player). Honestly Combusken doesn't even need that much support at all and can be thrown on to a team pretty easily while Gorebyss is not as easy to throw on, especially a defense boosting one I can agree, this is why I said your team has to be built for Gorebyss. You also say that Gorebyss has twice the sweeping capabilities as Combusken, but then you bring up said gimmicky double defense boosting Gorebyss, which has no room for any damaging moves and is complete taunt bait What's wrong with saying that Gorebyss can fill two different roles? Also, you can just BP to Xatu if a taunter comes in (unless its Liepard, in which case Combusken would also get screwed over because of encore + taunt). Any competent player can see a double boosting Gorebyss right away in team preview and take necessary precautions Again, if you build your team around it correctly, this is no problem. A simple safeguard protects you from all status moves including encore, etc. You can also just pass to Xatu. Gorebyss might be able to pass defense boosts, attack boosts, and speed boosts but Combusken can do that all with only one move Gorebyss can actually boost Satk and SDef though, Combusken can't do anything but protect on Special attackers, while still being able to actually kill something if need be . While Gorebyss can sweep, and pass defense boosts, it cant do both and can only do either once, maybe twice, per match, while Combusken has multiple setup opportunities per match Again, Combusken cannot support as well as Gorebyss can, and is overall much better.
Combusken to A/A+
Gorebyss stays in B+
Comments in bold.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
The thing is that if Gorebyss does not pass any boosts that involve speed, it is putting itself at great risk from multiple attacks, due to the fact that it is pretty slow. Combusken on the other hand automatically passes Speed, and can do so without risking any injury to itself at all, which in turn allows for future setup opportunities. Between Speed Boost and Eviolite, Combusken already covers two important factors to its Baton Passing success: speed and bulk. This gives Combusken a lot more freedom with its EV investment: it is perfectly viable to make Combusken either defensively inclined (increases range of setup targets) or offensively inclined (to improve odds of sweeping). Gorebyss cannot hope to have both speed and bulk at the same time should it attempt to boost; heck, Gorebyss cannot boost its power without putting its defenses at risk, while Combusken has Bulk Up to completely mitigate that issue.

That replay is pretty ridiculous. If you let somebody setup SR and three layers of Spikes, and let Combusken setup while switching in and out on it, and let a Xatu Calm Mind for free, you pretty much deserve to lose. What else can I say. Maybe smogon tour players need to step up their game if these kind of games are actually a thing, because on PO even small daily tournaments aren't that bad.

Rhydon can just Roar out Combusken for free. Not the case with Gorebyss. I'm not going to keep on rambling about this, especially if people bring up CM Stored Power Xatu again.

Yes Combusken can pass +1 speed to something else, but Gorebyss can like, use attacks that do damage. So yeah. Pick your poison I guess.

Not really interested in those battles if they're as good as this one really.

As for those defensive Combusken sets people bring up... how are you setting up with those? Even after a Protect you're dirt slow, giving your opponent free turns to do whatever as you have to Protect, and then you can't even setup Bulk Ups because they have their counter in against you... Also, weaknesses. Gorebyss has much less to worry about in general. You also fully counter these sets by bringing in a Taunter like Qwilfish. Worst case scenario they pass out +2 speed with -1 Attack, or Qwilfish can T-wave, Mismagius can predict Protect and Nasty Plot, etc.

Again, if you let an opponent setup that many boosts you're probably doing it wrong. That replay is a perfect example.
really not sure if you actually saw the replay.

1) i didn't ''let'' him set up sr and three layers of spikes. i saw the team matchup and figured that my only chance was to win with gatr and decided to set up on crustle. i didnt expect red card.

2) yes, maybe i did let combusken setup while switching in and out on it, but i was predicting a xatu switchin (still should've stayed in for burn chance). scald didnt even 2hko the seismitoad, so lol.

3) yes i did let xatu set up calm mind for free. what did you expect me to do ?

the reason because combusken is better than gorebyss is because its not as vulnerable to priority. combusken can also come back later in the game to set up again. it also has better bulk. protect and speed boost makes it job much easier. you dont expect it to sweep, you expect it to support your team in a much better way than gorebyss. combusken for A+

also i really wonder what you would've done in my place lol.

Gorebyss always runs White Herb though, so the first smash is completely inconsequential to its bulk, and if it's running dual boosting it can selectively set up on something a second time that it either moves second against so the smash happens after taking the hit, then it can boost defense or pass to something that can take the hit comfortably. And if Combusken only passes a single speed boost and nothing else as some people here are saying is an advantage over Gorebyss, I have to object there and say that it's not very threatening to do so, as you're basically forcing a recipient to take a free hit as it comes in just to get +1 in speed, which is meh at best. Combusken definitely requires less team support to pass multiple boosts, but Gorebyss getting to +2/+2/+2 in one turn and being able to chose a wider variety of targets is a definite pro, and it's also a much better standalone sweeper, which allows it to rival Combusken's advantages thus they should be ranked similarly, not a whole rank apart. Gorebyss is actually currently ranked higher in RU (A-) than it is here, which is a bit odd.

Ares

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gorebyss always runs White Herb though, so the first smash is completely inconsequential to its bulk, and if it's running dual boosting it can selectively set up on something a second time that it either moves second against so the smash happens after taking the hit, then it can boost defense or pass to something that can take the hit comfortably. And if Combusken only passes a single speed boost and nothing else as some people here are saying is an advantage over Gorebyss, I have to object there and say that it's not very threatening to do so, as you're basically forcing a recipient to take a free hit as it comes in just to get +1 in speed, which is meh at best. Combusken definitely requires less team support to pass multiple boosts, but Gorebyss getting to +2/+2/+2 in one turn and being able to chose a wider variety of targets is a definite pro, and it's also a much better standalone sweeper, which allows it to rival Combusken's advantages thus they should be ranked similarly, not a whole rank apart. Gorebyss is actually currently ranked higher in RU (A-) than it is here, which is a bit odd.
One of the big differences is that White Herb though. The fact that if you get roared out or dtailed out and then lose that white herb makes a huge difference. The point about the difference between the two is that Combusken can come in multiple times through out a match and boost up and pass and you have to run a non attacking gorebyss set that gets walled by taunt to even compete with that.

Edit: Also RU's rankings differ from NU's because it is a different meta. And just because it is ranked A- there doesnt mean it will be here.

Last edited:

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ok we get it. combusken is the dankest around.

moving on...

call me shirley but im going to nominate slurpuff for s rank. it seems to fit the description of an s rank pokemon perfectly. fairy is also a great type in NU right now offensively and defensively. it can perform multiple roles extremely effectively, one of the more common ones being the calm mind set. slurpuff's special movepool is consisting of coverage that is almost impossible to wall without extremely specific sets (defensive assault vest muk lol), with moves ranging from psychic to kill poison types and flamethrower to kill steel types. when taking that movepool and using it in tandem with calm mind and unburden boosts, the opponent can say goodbye to the sanctity of their tender butthole. on the other side of the spectrum, it can violate teams another way, that way being the belly drum set. at the cost of only 25% of its own hp, slurpuff effortlessly boosts its attack by 6 and doubles its speed all in one turn with little to no help from teammates. speaking of teammates, it gets a decent support movepool including the noteable move wish. furthermore, being fairy type, it's able to switch in on basically every fighting type threat from sawk to gurdurr, both of which are big threats currently. all of that being said, slurpuff is a versatile and unpredictable threat that is extremely difficult to counter full-on.

One of the big differences is that White Herb though. The fact that if you get roared out or dtailed out and then lose that white herb makes a huge difference. The point about the difference between the two is that Combusken can come in multiple times through out a match and boost up and pass and you have to run a non attacking gorebyss set that gets walled by taunt to even compete with that.
The thing is though, you get to tailor the set to suit your team and your opponent doesn't know exactly what your set will be. You could run SmashPass + 2 attacks (Scald/Surf and Ice Beam usually) so that you can be more frequently useful a second time and go out with a bang (you'll usually take at least another mon down with you, and your opponent could actually be screwed if they have no powerful priority left by that stage). Such a set also stops things like Roar and Dragon Tail from being as effective, as you can often outright OHKO most users before they can phaze you (without needing a Magic Bouncer or Fairy type to be alive or on your team at all).

And yes, I know that it doesn't necessarily mean it should be ranked higher here because it is in a higher tier, but it really doesn't seem any less effective here than in RU, possibly more effective because of the general lower power of the other mons.

I also support Slurpuff to S rank

S Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame with little support, and Pokemon who can support other Pokemon with very little opportunity cost ("free turns"). Also the home of Pokemon who can easily perform multiple roles effectively, increasing their versatility and unpredictability. If the Pokemon in this rank have any flaws, those flaws are thoroughly mitigated by their substantial strengths.

The thing about Slurpuff, is that it can sweep and wall significant portions of the metagame. This all just adds to its unpredictability, as it could be running Belly drum sweeper, Calm mind sweeper variants, and Wish passer. Belly Drum tears through the tier and is only really held back by lack of coverage. It also only needs one turn of setup and if you dont do over 50% then its going to setup and double its speed. Calm mind can come in on any average special attacker and setup, rest or sitrus, then sweep. Wish pass can wall every almost all physical attackers without phenomenal power or steel and poison coverage. The fairy typing Slurpuff provides allows it tank Knock Offs for the team and gives it ample opportunities to spread wishes to other pokemon. The sheer versatility Slurpuff brings and the ability to fit on basically every team and do good, is just a clear reason for S.

Ares

The thing is though, you get to tailor the set to suit your team and your opponent doesn't know exactly what your set will be. You could run SmashPass + 2 attacks (Scald/Surf and Ice Beam usually) so that you can be more frequently useful a second time and go out with a bang (you'll usually take at least another mon down with you, and your opponent could actually be screwed if they have no powerful priority left by that stage). Such a set also stops things like Roar and Dragon Tail from being as effective, as you can often outright OHKO most users before they can phaze you (without needing a Magic Bouncer or Fairy type to be alive or on your team at all).

And yes, I know that it doesn't necessarily mean it should be ranked higher here because it is in a higher tier, but it really doesn't seem any less effective here than in RU, possibly more effective because of the general lower power of the other mons.
The same could be said about Combusken as well. It can run 3 different sets with relative ease. Bulk Up with BP, SD with BP, and just and all out attacking Combusken with SD. The thing about all of these though is it doesnt rely on white herb. And Combusken actually resists sucker while Gorebyss does not.

Sorry I didn't know this about the ladder, but if anything under #20 is worthless, many of the top-notch teams and sets on this forum would be gone. What I was trying to do was show how this kind of BP is viable and show a new perspective on the Gorebyss vs. Combusken.

My responses in bold btw.

Edit: Because of the points above, I'd say that both Combusken and Gorebyss should go to A.
Also I would just like to point out that Brawlfest never said that anything under #20 is worthless. He merely said that 200th on the ladder is certainly nothing to write home about. And it definitely doesn't make your post make more credible or serve as a testament to baton pass. Obviously many great Nu players aren't in the 20 twenty right now, but Brawlfest never said that made them bad. He was more trying to point out the flaws in the ladder and how it is not necessarily hard to climb it.

Last edited:
Electivire up to A-

Electivire's decent speed and good coverage make him a powerful sweeper.
With 123/95 Offense, he can pretty much run an effective mixed E-Belt set, a physical set, or a special set, allowing him to hit super effectively a high amount of Pokemon.
He also get 2 handy abilities, Motor Drive ( Not that useful in NU Imo ) and Vital Spirit.
However, he's pretty much screwed if he don't hit Super Effectively, that's why i don't ask for a higher rank that he probably don't deserve.

Ares

Electivire up to A-

With 123/95 Offense, he can pretty much run an effective mixed E-Belt set, a physical set, or a special set, allowing him to hit super effectively a high amount of Pokemon.
He also get 2 handy abilities, Motor Drive ( Not that useful in NU Imo ) and Vital Spirit.
However, he's pretty much screwed if he don't hit Super Effectively, that's why i don't ask for a higher rank that he probably don't deserve.
I agree E-vire might need to be A-. However you will need more of an argument if you want to convince everyone else. Personally I think since E-vire gets fantastic coverage and can run mixed to hit its walls it is great as a late game cleaner. I think it is slightly better than B+ but will be fine if it stays there if it doesnt get enough support to move up.

Electivire up to A-

Despite how much I love Evire, his problem is that his STAB moves all have low BP ( besides Thunder, which sucks imo). The same goes for his coverage. Because of this it cannot break wall as easily as other offensive pokes. I think he is solid at B+

Ares

Despite how much I love Evire, his problem is that his STAB moves all have low BP ( besides Thunder, which sucks imo). The same goes for his coverage. Because of this it cannot break wall as easily as other offensive pokes. I think he is solid at B+
Evire gets access to some pretty good stabs. Wild charge for the physical side and Thunderbolt/Volt Switch for the special. All 3 of those are good stabs for an electric pokemon, Volt switch still has pretty high BP and you can get momentum and use Evire to scare something out and volt switch out.

Evire gets access to some pretty good stabs. Wild charge for the physical side and Thunderbolt/Volt Switch for the special. All 3 of those are good stabs for an electric pokemon, Volt switch still has pretty high BP and you can get momentum and use Evire to scare something out and volt switch out.
I was mostly talking about the special set since that is the one Ive used the most, but 90 BP + 95 base sp.atk is not what I consider high, what Im trying to say is that it lacks a punch

Edit: fucking phone

Ares

I was mostly talking about the special set since that is the one Ive used the most, but 90 BP + 95 base sp.atk is not what I consider high, what Im trying to say is that it lacks a punch

Edit: fucking phone
Dedenne, Electivire, Electrode, Emolga, Lanturn, Luxray, Minun, Pachirisu, Plusle, Raichu, Rotom(normal, freeze, fan), Stunfisk, Zebstrika This is a list of all the electric types in NU and aside from two rotoms Evire has some of the best special attack for electric types in the tier. As far as strong stab goes T-bolt is pretty much the best you are going to get for 100% accuracy and personally I think it is pretty strong as far as a move goes. And the point of Evire is that it has SE coverage for everything out there so anything you hit with a neutral hit could be hit harder with a SE hit most likely.

I believe that Simisear should move up to a B/B- Rank as it has solid offensive stats, good coverage moves in the form of fire blast focus blast grass knot and hp ice, and can OHKO a good deal of the metagame with a +2 LO attack after nasty plot or hurt anything on the switch in with a specs attack.
B Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon who cannot sweep through or wall significant portions of the metagame, but can properly fulfill a given offensive/defensive niche. Support Pokemon in this category have flaws that prevent them from doing their job or are setup bait for dangerous sweepers. Pokemon who are partially outperformed by a Pokemon in A or S Rank, but are otherwise very dangerous, may also fall into this category.
While Simisear isn't necessarily able to sweep through entire teams, it can pose a strong threat to defensive cores, and it poses a huge threat to offensive teams with its extremely good base speed of 101 in the NU tier. Simisear plays somewhat of a similar role as delphox in ru, and yet delphox has an S ranking while Simisear is stuck with C-. For this reason and those above, I believe that Simisear should be moved up to B Rank.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The main issue with Simisear is that it doesn't have much of a niche over other Fire-types like Pyroar, Typhlosion, or Magmortar. These are all stronger than Simisear and pack more overall usefulness on a team. Pyroar is faster than Simisear and is a little stronger, and has Hyper Voice for something strong and reliable beyond Fire Blast. Magmortar may be slower, but it's a whole lot stronger and can 2HKO, if not OHKO, almost everything in the tier. It also has a wide offensive movepool so it can nuke everything quite effectively. Typhlosion is a bit stronger and is only slower by one point and is overall more useful. Simisear isn't the worst thing ever but it doesn't really have much of a niche over other Fire-types. C- is where it should stay.

Also, Delphox manages to exercise dominance over RU because it has CM and Switcheroo so it can always prove itself lethal whether with LO+CM or Specs, and is the best Fire-type there, only Moltres comes even close to being as good as it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)