1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Info Hub for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gen 5 NU Viability Rankings 2.0

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by Raseri, May 26, 2013.

1. Brawlfest

Brawlfest Dat Blast
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

s
    [​IMG]
    Can we consider Seismitoad for Low S Rank? Simply put, it can fullfill many roles, and every one it does well. Like Ludicolo, it is a very potent rain dance sweeper, but it also outspeeds and can revenge kill some other RD Sweepers. It sets up stealth rocks reliably for Defensive and Offensive teams, as its got both respectably offenses and defenses it can toss around. On top of this, it has other unique niche sets such as SubToxic, one of the best stallbreakers in the current meta, walling pokemon such as Alomomola to hell and back, rendering them useless to teams which cannot pull wins against such.

Overall, Seismitoads ability to fulfill every one of its niches to its fullest capability, having a rather wide movepool, great stats, and pretty amazing typing by NU standards makes it one of NU's key pokemon offensively and defensively, and should definitely be considered for S rank!
  2. tennisace

tennisace
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator
    Social Media Chief

Can we not separate S-rank again please there's still no point in differentiating tiers of 2-3 mons, and if a Pokemon is that far below what you would consider top S that you have to call it "low S" then it's really just a high A mon.
  3. Kanwe

Kanwe

I'd like to nominate Rotom-Fan for Low A-Rank. It has a balance of bulk and power, as well as a base speed that puts it ahead of the common base 85 mons such as Sawk and Braviary. Its scarf set is much more viable with the banning of Jynx and it has access to Trick, allowing it cripple something for the rest of the battle. Its E-Belt set can throw off ground types like Seismitoad and deal major damage with a Hidden Power Grass. It also can run a fairly effective Defensive set, with access to both Discharge and Will-o-Wisp for team support. All in all Rotom-Fan is a very good mon this meta, and can threaten a sizable portion of the tier thanks to its typing, bulk, and versatility.
    Celever, Nozzle and Meteor 17 like this.
  4. Cherub Agent

Cherub Agent swings both ways
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

mandibuzz for s rank
  5. Raseri

Raseri
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    NU Co-Leader

ya im going to do this, Mandibuzz is a huge threat in the current meta If anyone disagrees post here and we can talk about it :D. If anyone wants to work on these rankings at all, let me know :) im always down
    HJAD and Cherub Agent like this.
  6. hollywood

hollywood
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Battle Server Administratoris a Super Moderatoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Tiering Contributor
    Super Moderator

suspect mandibuzz instead
  7. ScraftyIsTheBest

ScraftyIsTheBest The Pearl Ruler of Space
    is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor

Man...it's been years since I've ever been in a BW discussion thread.

Anyways, on to some discussion points for ranking changes.

I believe I nominated this well over a year ago but I might as well bring it up again since it's relevant now. I think Gardevoir is easily one of the best Psychic-types in NU right now, especially post Jynx+Scolipede meta. It should definitely be up there in somewhere in the A Ranks, probably in Mid A or High A (kind of leaning towards the latter). It is an incredibly versatile threat and there is so much this thing can do well. It is the strongest offensive Psychic-type available and with a wide movepool of options that allow it to make use of excellent coverage and power, and in addition to having support moves like Will-O-Wisp and coverage which allows it to screw around with some of its potential answers such as Skuntank and Mandibuzz, as it can burn both with Will-O-Wisp and possibly use Thunderbolt to hit Mandibuzz decently hard. It has strong coverage options and has all the coverage it needs to hit many things hard, and its Speed is also alright by NU standards. It also has a lot of cool ways to work like Calm Mind, Will-O-Wisp, and more. Definitely a top mon imo and deserves to be in the higher A Ranks because it's rightfully top tier.

Also looking at recent trends I looked at, Garbodor seems to be used a lot. Well, 5th Gen NU has always been a tier where Spikes are strong, so I guess Garbodor could use a move up. It's a good bulky Spiker and it sets up both Spikes and Toxic Spikes really effectively. Not to mention that with its typing, it can check Sawk using Close Combat, and Rocky Helmet and Aftermath can be a pain. That's basically all I have to say about it, considering NU has always been a Spikes strong tier a move up for garbage bag could definitely be worth it.

Well that's all I have for now...this tier is a dead tier but I think it's still worth discussing, and this thread needs a lot of changes imo since the meta has shifted a lot post Jynx/Scolipede ban even though it died with 6th Gen around. Although a few things: I'm not sure of Probopass is really an A- mon anymore, it should probably drop, Roselia could probably rise, Duosion in Mid C is silly, Skuntank could use a nice jump considering Gardevoir is relevant again, Shadow Tag is gay and Gothorita is an ugly shit and a few more.
    Raseri likes this.
  8. Raseri

Raseri
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    NU Co-Leader

I made some changes
    Keepo
    Musharna down From S to Mid A
    Garbodor from Low A to Top A
    Probopass from Low A to Top B
    Gardevoir from Top B to Mid A
    Gothorita from Mid B to Top B
    Duosion from Mid C to Top B (might move it higher but want discussion)
    Electabuzz from Low B to Top B
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    Eashy, hollywood, HJAD and 2 others like this.
  9. FLCL

FLCL
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Salon Maidenis a SPL Winner

wartortle should be higher, it's the only good spinner in the tier. if you run spdef you can check charizard and special samurott and beat most spinblockers. should be like a- considering how dominant garbodor is

and no idea why the rotoms are so low they are so good!!
    Karane, galbia, Finchinator and 3 others like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)