Tournament NUPL4 Schedule and Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
The purpose of this thread is to keep the Official Schedule somewhere easy and convenient for people to view it. In addition, this thread will serve as a Q&A Thread if you have any questions about the tournament itself. Futhermore, I will be posting all administrative decisions in case of disconnections, volatility and the like.

Because it's an essential resource for them, I'm tagging all the managers.
Raseri Kiyo Deej Dy Omfuga rozes Can-Eh-Dian
Week 1
Money Maker Musharna vs Krusty Krabs
Jive Jynxes vs Vibrant Vivilllon
Rowdy Rampardos vs King Klangs

Week 2
Money Maker Musharna vs King Klangs
Jive Jynxes vs Krusty Krabs
Vibrant Vivilllon vs Rowdy Rampardos

Week 3
Money Maker Musharna vs Jive Jynxes
Rowdy Rampardos vs Krusty Krabs
Vibrant Vivilllon
vs King Klangs

Week 4
Money Maker Musharna vs Vibrant Vivilllon
King Klangs vs Krusty Krabs
Rowdy Rampardos vs Jive Jynxes

Week 5
Money Maker Musharna vs Rowdy Rampardos
Jive Jynxes vs King Klangs
Krusty Krabs vs Vibrant Vivilllon

Last edited:

Quite Quiet

is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
I'm just going to keep the more common questions here, so if you have a question ask it here, VM me, or if you prefer it you can PM me. I'll try to answer as soon as I'm able to.

Questions and Answers

Q. Do we need to submit teams like in proper SPL?
A. Submitting teams is not mandatory; but reccomended. It helps your case should a disconnection occur with no clear winner.

Q. How will the point system work?
A. We will follow a similar point system to SPL, where a win is 2 points, a tie is 1 points, and a loss is 0 points. If there's a tie, games won will be the deciding factor.

Q. So how about that Sno Cloak/Sand Veil ban in DPP?
A. Hippopotas/Snover are banned.

Last edited:
Questions and Answers

Q. Is Sand Veil/Snow Cloak banned in DPP?
A. Yes.
Q. Why? Sand Veil was banned in DPP OU because people love Ttar, Hippo and Gliscor too much to ban any of them, and Snow Cloak was banned for consistency. Permaweather makes DPP NU less fun regardless of those abilities thanks to Regirock and Walrein. Neither Hippo nor Snover have any utility outside of weather, while Cacturne and Sandslash most certainly do. Don't ruin DPP NU for the sake of not contradicting the standard bans of a generation which didn't even recognise NU as an official tier.

Quite Quiet

TFP Leader
Q. Why? Sand Veil was banned in DPP OU because people love Ttar, Hippo and Gliscor too much to ban any of them, and Snow Cloak was banned for consistency. Permaweather makes DPP NU less fun regardless of those abilities thanks to Regirock and Walrein. Neither Hippo nor Snover have any utility outside of weather, while Cacturne and Sandslash most certainly do. Don't ruin DPP NU for the sake of not contradicting the standard bans of a generation which didn't even recognise NU as an official tier.
When I talked to people before the auction, no one said anything about this decision being worse for DPP than the alternatives. I'm not unwilling to change this, if that's when the DPP players feel is the better option.

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It is worse than the alternatives because it has huge collateral damage (banning Sandslash, Cacturne, Gabite, and lol Glaceon because they have no alternate ability) for very minimal gain (Sand Veil and Snow Cloak abuse aren't noteworthy factors in the metagame). Sandslash is one of the defining Pokemon in the metagame as the most reliable spinner and one of only two viable ones, as well as one of the few Electric immunities. Cacturne and Gabite are less important but still good Pokemon that make the tier better, with Cacturne being one of very few viable Spikes users and Gabite being basically the only viable Dragon-type. This isn't the same tier we've been playing for ~8 years without those Pokemon in it, and it's almost certainly a worse one.

On the other hand, Hail and Sand themselves are arguably unhealthy for the tier, mainly due to Walrein and Cradily/Regirock, although admittedly Sand Veil abuse is also a factor. Whether the tier would better with or without perma-weather is debatable. I think most would probably argue that it's better without it, or at least without Hail; that's why Hail was banned in DPP NU in PUPL.

So if we want to get rid of Sand Veil and Snow Cloak abuse (even though they aren't a big deal in this tier), we can choose between banning the weathers, which are already controversial for other reasons, or banning a bunch of decidedly non-broken Pokemon, including one that has always been a key Pokemon in the tier. It seems pretty easy to me. Ban the weathers if you're gonna ban anything. Or we could even get really crazy and do a complex ban of weather + weather evasion ability.

tl;dr Banning Sand/Hail (or complex ban) > No bans >>> Banning Sand Veil/Snow Cloak

Quite Quiet

TFP Leader
Like I said, I'm willing to change it. Most players who are playing DPP should have gotten a question from their respective managers about this, and while everyone hasn't replied to it yet the majority has. Based on the responses I have gotten the majority of the players prefer Snover/Hippopotas bans to anything else. I'm all for picking the option that impacts the meta the least, and judging by what people have messaged me, and I got from the managers this seems to be the preferred option by most of the involved.

so, effective immedietly: Snover/Hippopotas are banned, NOT Sand Veil/Snow Cloak

I forgot to post this:

Deadline for lineups are Sunday 11:59 PM EDT (GMT-4)

If I have all 6 lineups before this, I may consider posting week 1 a bit earlier.
Omfuga Deej Dy rozes Raseri Kiyo Can-Eh-Dian

Last edited:

Quite Quiet

TFP Leader
Week: 2
Player: Deej Dy
Action: Didn't send in lineup

Because of failure to send in a line up on time, the week 1 line up was used. This line up is final for this week, with the exception with substitutes for activity-related reasons.

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ
Yeah my bad QQ, gonna need a few subs though cuz of some unfortunate circumstances.

Quite Quiet

TFP Leader
Week: 4
Player: Omfuga
Action: Didn't send in lineup

Because of failure to send in a line up on time, the week 3 line up was used. This line up is final for this week, with the exception with substitutes for activity-related reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)