Nuzlocke Challenge

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
lol at the RNG on my game, seriously.

I end up with a female Sassy Chimchar (lol), and I don't hit a wild Pokemon for BOTH trips in route 201. I go back to train and maybe get something, since I still hadn't seen my first wild Pokemon there when I got the five Poke Balls, and what do I get? A level 2 modest Starly. I go up to Route 202 to find my first there... Level 4 Bold Starly. I think you can tell which will be my box fodder...

So I'll make a real story once I beat the first gym, but I had to share that little story.

Arias Chapter One: Where am I?

Darkness...
Where am I?
The last thing you remember is getting home from the mall and laying back in your bed to play your new Pokemon game.
A single ray of light is shooting down into the center of the...room?
As you walk into the light you see a silhouette of a person.
"Welcome, Arias" The silhouette says. It is the voice of an older man.
"Where am I?"
"Right now? You are no where."
"What?"
The man's silhouette isn't moving. You don't even see the subtle movements of it talking.
"Don't you worry about it. You will be arriving shortly. You are about to be thrown into a world of Pokemon."
"..."
"You will be getting your very own Pokemon, you will battle and climb your way to the top."
"Are you seriously suggesting that Pokemon are real? Just take me back home."
"Pokemon are indeed real as you will soon find out, as for going home. That is not my decision. You will have to find your own way home."
The light starts to brighten and you have to close your eyes to keep from being blinded
"Ah, we have arrived. I hope you have a pleasent stay."
"Wait! You haven't explained anything yet!"
"Oh, before you do go just know this; This is NOT your little Pokemon game, there WILL be consequences for losing fights and this IS as much a fight for survival as it is for my amusment."
You feel an incredible heat overcome your body and then...
Darkness...
===============================================================================
Chapter One: Where am I?
===============================================================================
"Oof!"
You hit the ground hard, the wind knocked out of you.
"Where am I now?" You think out loud while looking around.
You're in a room. There is a computer, a bed, a Tv and a book shelf.
After catching your breath you stand up and brush yourself off. Might as well try and gather some information.
You log onto the computer....No internet...Of course not. There is only a emailing system with your name in it.
You click the inbox and find a letter from "Lyra"
"ADVENTURE!"
"EXCITED!"
"I love POKEMON!'
-Lyra
"...What?"
Okay, calm down, as long as I stay calm I can get through this, you think to yourself
You slowly head downstairs and peak around the corner.
No one is there. I'm alone at lea-
"ARIAS!"
"Ah!"
"Calm down, its only me." A woman with a booming voice is standing directly in front of me.
"W-what do you want?"
"I just wanted to tell you that your Pokegear got back from the shop." She says giving me a strange look.
Before you can say anything she latches it to your wrist
"You better get going now, Lyra and the Professor are looking for you!"
You get pushed out the door and hear it slam behind you
A small blue ball comes rolling twords you...wait thats not a ball...
Is that a...Pokemon?
A girl runs up behind it and waves to you before running off, her Pokemon in tow.
You walk over to the giant building and head inside. As you step through the door you am compelled to continue walking right up to the man at the end of the room.
"Ah! Arias, good thing you are here. My friend Mr. Pokemon has something important to show me, take one of the Pokemon over there and go see what it is."
"This is really like one of my Pokemon games."
"Games? Oh yes, I had heard that there were some games for kids that were too young to be trainers. You still play those?"
Ignoring him you walk over an examine the Pokeballs. There is a Water-type, A Fire-type and a Grass-type.
Think it over for a few seconds you grab the Water-type and begin to walk out
"Wait! I almost forgot! The professor runs up to you and grabs your pokegear.
"Let me add my number into your system." He presses a few buttons and then waves to you as you are rushed out the door
That girl is standing there staring at you
"..."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"Hi?"
"Hi Arias! DIDYOUGETAPOKEMON?!"
"Y-yeah I got a...." Come to think of it, you don't even know what you have
You toss down the pokeball attached to your belt and it explodes into a bright light.
As the light dies down you see a weird blue Pokemon staring at you.
"Totodile!"
"Oooh! He is cute! Well I'll see you later I have a few things to do before I leave."
The girl takes off with her Pokemon following her.
You stare at your Pokemon as he walks around the area looking at stuff
As you walk out of town your Pokemon follows chanting its name every few seconds
...Thats going to get annoying
You walk out of the town and step into the waist high grass.
After a few minutes of walking you begin hearing something
"Is that....flapping?"
"PIDGEY!"
The bird nosedives right at you...

I'm attempting on LeafGreen.

Current Team:
Disk1Nuke the Ratata
Tvtropes ruins your life, dood.

Anyway, Ruby update!

Update 3 of Ruby? You bet!

Anyway, I got a BUNCH done since last update. I beat everything up to Maxie and a bit after even, and now I sit on Jagged pass.

CURRENT TEAM:

Marshtomp level 24 (named Mary, has a Soft Sand)
Linoone level 23 (named Lyra, has whatever it picks up)
Swellow level 23 (named Marc, has a King's Rock)
Makuhita level 23 (Named Maylene, has a Quick Claw)
Gyarados level 23 (Named Levi, holds Blackglasses)
Skarmory level 24 (Named Wing Blade, holds Silk Scarf.)
Numel level 23 (Named Normandy.)
Spoink level 20 (Named That Pig)

MEMBERS KEPT ON RESERVE:

Dustox level 17 (Named Sting)
Beutifly level 16 (Named Stung)
Roselia level 14 (Named Rose)
Geodude level 11 (Named Flint. Famose for stopping me from getting Desert pokemon, except for the fossils (because technically they are from Rustboro))
Solrock level 14 (named Solaris.)
Gloom level 22 (Named Weedsy, holds a Miricle Seed))
Zangoose level 22 (named Xena)

DECEASED MEMBERS:

Poochyena level 12 (Female, Adamant, named Sally. Died due to Wurmple's poison.)
Koffing level 20 (Male, Lax, named Gas Giant. Died due to a wild Spinda with Psybeam.)
Loudred level 22 (Male, Modest, named Morissey. Died because of Uproar not letting me switch.)

I really wanna do a Nuzlocke Challenge, but I want mine to be different. So I'm thinking that I'll do it in one of the GameCube Games (XD or Colosseum, I haven't decided which). I'd also probably bend the rule about catching only one Pokemon per area, since there's no real randomness about it, I'd just catch anything, but if it faints, it's (still) dead forever. How does that sound? Any ideas or suggestions?

Day 3 got me to Brawly. I decided to not train like hell and instead move. No-one's dead yet, and I've got
beautifly(16)
zigzagoon(16)
marshtomp (16)
shroomish (6)
magikarp (9? not playin' now, I'm not sure)
nincada (6)
makuhita (low #)

I'm at Slateport, but I'm not going to play today (played yesterday). I'll start again tomorrow.

It seems like everyone is loving the challenge and intends to posts their progress, so I'll make a qucik recap:

As you see, there are a lot of stories, and I ignored a good portion as well. Why? Because they just seem like their writer didn't put any effort in them, and instead posted a quick update on their current status. That's not a bad thing; however, I think people who do take the time to write a proper story, format it, or draw things deserve to be put a bit more into the spotlight.

It's also worth noting that the thread is flooded with posts containing nothing but a very short comment along the lines of 'looks cool, i'm doing it with these rules' or 'here is my current situation/team'. Don't overuse that, it makes it a pain to read through the thread to find the stories that we're looking for. I know it's tempting to tell everyone what you've been doing, but with as many participants, if you don't find a way to make your story stand out a little, it will not interest anyone.

For morm: just copy and past this into the OP, if you want.

HTML:
[HIDE=jumpluff][URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2552629&postcount=10"]Parts 1, 2, 3[/URL]
[URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2553860&postcount=45"]Part 4[/URL][/HIDE]

[HIDE=Res Ipsa Loquitur (Pokémon: Black Version)][URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2553919&postcount=48"]Parts 1, 2[/URL]
[URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2554279&postcount=56"]Parts 3, 4[/URL]
[URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2554753&postcount=62"]Parts 5, 6[/URL]
[URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2556430&postcount=106"]Part 7[/URL][/HIDE]

[HIDE=Kannon][URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2554326&postcount=57"]Update 1[/URL][/HIDE]

[HIDE=Black Buddha *comics*][URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2554955&postcount=70"]Update 1[/URL]
[URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2558033&postcount=129"]Update 2[/URL][/HIDE]

[HIDE=Accent *comics*][URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2555492&postcount=77"]Prologue, Chapter One[/URL]
[URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2556199&postcount=102"]Chapter Two[/URL]
[URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2557669&postcount=123"]Chapter Three[/URL][/HIDE]

[HIDE=Vader][URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2555521&postcount=80"]Part 1[/URL][/HIDE]

[HIDE=FlareBlitz][URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2555722&postcount=84"]Parts 1, 2[/URL][/HIDE]

[HIDE=somethingsdont][URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2557044&postcount=114"]Prologue, Chapter 1[/URL][/HIDE]

[HIDE=Dracoyoshi8][URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2558361&postcount=137"]Update 1[/URL][/HIDE]

[HIDE=Izzy84075][URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2558386&postcount=139"]Part 1[/URL]
[URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2558635&postcount=142"]Part 2[/URL]
[URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2558819&postcount=145"]Part 3[/URL][/HIDE]

[HIDE=Arias][URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2559131&postcount=153"]Chapter One[/URL][/HIDE]

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks to major influence from #littlecup, I am now Emerald-ing this challenge.

Currently in Petalburg, hideously over-level grinding.

EDIT: the game crashed and I lost a lot of save data.
this is my new current status:
it is still a masterpiece

I am going to be taking this challenge on Emerald. I will be taking video of my quest to be the very best.

Res Ipsa Loquitur, you are my hero. I am constructing a shrine to you right now. I will worship at it twice a day: once as the evening sun goes orange at the horizon, and again in the pit of night, where only the burning end of a cigarette will light my devotions.

I did a bit more yesterday, and it seems like the RNG is laughing at me. It's giving me great pokemon, the exact pokemon I want in fact, but with horrible natures.

Current Team:
Yoshi the Ivysaur (Lvl 16, M, Pallet Town)
Air Force the Pidgey (Lvl 14, M, Route 1)
Jane the Mankey (Lvl 12, F, Route 22)
Disk1Nuke the Ratata (Lvl 13, F, Route 2)
EpicMickey the Pikachu (Lvl 12, M, Viridian Forest) <- Oh yeah, its on now. Too bad its Adamant.
Handmaiden the Nidoran F (Lvl 8, F, Route 3)

Deceased: None yet

Badges: 1

:( brawly killed all of my pokes he got 6 crits in a row from his makuhita guess im gonna restart this hope this time ill be luckyer

First Update

Current Team:

Kratos the lvl 20 Prinplup: Moves are Pound/Bide/Bubble/Peck with Impish nature. He is the leader and strongest of the team. Was forced to be over leveled since we couldn't find any pokemon worth catching. Easily handles all other pokemon.

Jeff the lvl 16 Shellos: Moves are Mud-Slap/Mud Bomb/Hidden Power/Water Pulse with Hasty nature. Caught at the Valley Windworks because I needed more pokemon. I train him because I normally use Water pokemon, and right now he's the only other good companion.

Not Golem the lvl 5 Geodude: Moves are Tackle/Defense Curl/Mud Sport/Rock Smash with Rash nature. Only caught at Oreburgh Gate for Rock Smash. Realized that I can't evolve him into a Golem, so I'm keeping him at level 5 to train the others and use him as death fodder.

Former Members:

Lameass the lvl 17 Budew: Killed by a Purugly who should have lost, but when paralyzed still attacked every turn. Caught in Route 204 because I had no other choice and didn't want to continue to over level Kratos.

Crick the lvl 6 Kricketot: Caught route 203 for death fodder. Served his purpose, but in vain since Lameass still succumbed to Purugly's attacks.

Zoo the lvl 8 Zubat: Caught in Oreburgh Mine to train to a Crobat. Died to a Shellos because Leech Life is apparently the worst attack in the game.

Adventure Status: I started out finding terrible pokemon in the beginning, so I didn't get a chance to catch a Starly or a Shinx. I went to Oreburgh to destroy Roark with my surprisingly strong Lameass.

I became more optimistic about the game since eventually I could evolve him into a Roserade. On my way to Floaroma Town I remembered that the Purugly that the Galactic Executive has is extremely strong.

I knew that at level 20 Kratos could easily take her Purugly on. Little did I know that she also had a Zubat who knew Toxic. Kratos became badly poisoned so I used Crick as death fodder for a free switch to Lameass to beat the Purugly. Lameass surprisingly died at the hands of the fat cat, so I had to resort to Jeff to finish the job.

As of now I'm headed to Eterna Forest where Kratos can train to be able to one-hit Gardenia's pokemon since she has the upper hand on my entire team.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay I'm an idiot, I've been in a daze this last month really and been being forgetful, I never mentioned my rules.

I can only catch the first wild Pokemon in an area
No buying Pokeballs
No healing items
Release any Pokemon that faint
Gift Pokemon do not count against the total for an area
No using legends
Must nickname Pokemon

All right, I'm splitting the first badge into two sections or it'll get seriously to the tl;dr point, so here's the first part, the second will come tonight.

A noise waking me up in the middle of sleeping in? Always the same thing... It wasn't hard to tell that my friend Barry wanted me along, as he tended to make a lot of noise wherever he went. It even got me so far as to roll my eyes when my mom told me exactly what I expected out of this. Even hearing that it was an emergency didn't worry me in the slightest.

My mom always wondered why I came home with all these cuts and bruises. You'd think she'd understand after fifteen long years that I just got run into a lot... It only happened a few times that day. Apparently, the big emergency was just going to see if a strange Pokemon was at the lake because someone saw a Red Gyarados in Johto once. It was a bit annoying to be going that far for nothing, but it was easier than telling him no.

Apparently we weren't the only ones checking out the lake, as an older man and what seemed to be an assistant were just leaving. Of course, my friend's curiosity got the best of us, as he decided to go check out the bag the boy from earlier had left behind. Going into the tall grass was a big mistake, however, as we got rushed by two quite angry Starly.

Getting pecked all over, we both ended up rummaging through the bag to find three Pokeballs. We each took one at random, and like usual, Barry kicked into action before I could even think about doing so, sending out the little blue penguin out to fight. I hoped I could get one as interesting as that, so I tossed the Pokeball, and in a flash of light, I saw a little orange monkey, Chimchar, pop out.

Sure, Barry's choice may have been cuter, but mine was done with its job much quicker, as I just told it to keep using Scratch. Too bad I'd only get to use it once... Soon after the battle was over, the boy from earlier came back and seemed to panic at the sight of us each having a Pokemon nearby, staring at him. Oddly enough, he ran off with the bag, but didn't bring the Pokemon along.

We decided, with me leading because Barry wanted to spend a little more time with Piplup, to head back and figure out what to do next for tomorrow. That plan got disrupted quite quickly when the older man was there, looked at us, but then walked off like nothing was wrong. He was quite intimidating, however, and once I got home I had to admit I was glad to be there. The Chimchar just seemed to be relaxing there as well as I explained to my mom what exactly had happened. She suggested I go to Sandgem Town where the lab was and explain what happened.

So that's what I did the next day. Oddly, no wild Pokemon attacked me, even as my Chimchar just skipped along. The beachfront town was just a short distance away, and right when I got there... CRASH. I got run into yet again. Apparently, Barry had somewhere to go, as he headed back toward home, but he seemed in not so bad of a mood. I even got invited inside by Lucas, who apparently worked for this man.

Inside, it seemed totally different than before. He didn't seem mean at all when he introduced himself as Professor Rowan. When he saw the Chimchar he even decided to let me keep it, and it was at that point when I gave it a name: Sam. It was the next gift that really caught me off guard, however, as I found myself soon holding a new Pokedex. Apparently I had an adventure to go on, and I had one last trip home to make before then...

At this point I only had:

Chimchar (Sam) Lv. 5 (M)
Bold
Likes to run
Likes sour food
-Scratch
-Leer

I have more now but I'll update that later when I'm allowed on again.

Edit: Thinking about it, I'll have dialogue in the next one too.

As soon as I open up the Pal Park in my Heart Gold game, I'm emptying out my Fire Red and starting a Nuzlocke challenge.

Have yet to decide on the full ruleset I'll use, but probably just a normal Faint->Release + First Pokemon in Area run. Hopefully should have the pokes all transferred tonight, so if I'm lucky I'll have some stories tomorrow. :)

I've started this on Gold (not HeartGold),my rules are as follows:
1. If a Pokémon faints, it is considered dead, but is put in Box 14 as a record. If said Pokemon is the one surfing, I have to Fly away, and if I can't it's a Game Over.
2. Can only catch the first Pokémon encountered in an area, if I faint it, then too bad. I can't catch anything else.
3. Healing items can only be used out of battle in the Elite Four, and will be avoided anywhere else. I cannot buy any healing items. Revives and Max Revives will be sold.
4. Berries may be held, they can be the only items used in battle. (by the Pokémon, not by me)
5. Pokéballs may be bought, but on a special basis. (1 in Cherrygrove, 2 in Violet City, etc.) Great and Ultra Balls will be also bought on this basis, but start at 1.

I named the trainer Stalin, for some random reason, maybe because of the death rule. No Pokémon have died yet, though that will probably change soon.

Current Team:
FluffyStuf Lv. 7 Hoppip (Route 33)
Dolly (Currently Unnamed due to negligence) Lv. 12 Mareep (Route 32)
MiG Lv. 12 Pidgey (Route 31)
Pest Lv. 11 Rattata (Route 46)
GodDamnBat Lv. 11 Zubat (Dark Cave)
Crikey! Lv. 14 Totodile (New Bark Town)

In PC:
Known Lv. 7 Unown (Ruins of Alph)
Vermin Lv. 4 Rattata (Sprout Tower)
OverEasy Lv. 5 Togepi (Violet City)
FFFUUUUUUUU (lol unoriginal) Lv. 7 Zubat (Union Cave)

Prologue and Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three

Chapter Four

The Sprout Tower... An endless stream of level 6 bellsprouts thrown at my face, along with the occasional rattatta. Why isn't Pokémon an open world game? Sigh. Here we go.

After climbing up and down a couple of ladders, beating some Sages wandering around and exterminating the vermin hiding in the Tower's dark corners, I finally reach the top. There, I meet Silvan again:

"I only care about pokémons that win battles! Love is useless!"

Heh, he should do a Nuzlocke run. Before I can retort, he escapes through the roof - the escape rope's effect is quite spectacular when witnessed at first hand. At the end of the corridor stands the Elder Li, the one who will determine my ability to fight Falkner.

Current team:
Adeliz, level 12 female sneasel
Sesheta, level 11 female ekans

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
FUCK
my emerald died and now I can't save. So ignore my last two posts.

I will be doing a new challenge using Pearl.

....*mutter* fucking emerald *mutter*

@Accent
Great comic. Please continue posting comics of this nature. Also, great idea with archiving the posts. I have been considering making an account on a blog site just to post Pokémon: Black, so it will be archived outside this thread and also so that people will be able to read through easily without searching through forum pages.

As far as my own updates go, I am very busy for the rest of this week, so I plan to do quite a bit of writing over the weekend. I have definitely not lost any enthusiasm for the project, it's just that law school is taking precedence for a few days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)