Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
Welcome, to the Nuzlocke Hunger Games!
May the RNG ever, be in your favor. :S

This thread will be used to keep track of all of the important stuff that goes on in this challenge!

Here are the rules: http://pastebin.com/nNug1gQb

Edit: I'd like to make the rule that you MUST have at least 5 Pokemon after the 2nd Gym. By that point in the game it should be reasonable to assume that you can have at least 5 Pokes. before that, you'll want as many as you can get anyway. :)
Important EDIT: There is a limit of 5 hours IN GAME TIME for each leg.

Here are the guidelines for posting when you defeat a Gym Leader:
Post the following:
-A screenshot of the Gym Leader giving you the badge
-A screenshot of the amount of time played once you defeat the Gym Leader (saving screen)
-A (quick) math calculation showing how much time you spent on that leg of the race
-Your team (Pokemon and Levels only)
-The time and date that you make your post

Note: The winner of the "race" is who has the least amount of in game time for that leg! (in case of tie, first poster is winner)

1. The Goomy
2. Darnell
3. HMO99
4. Pandonphan
5. CoolStoryBrobat
6. Alexxi
7. MoneyMinty
8. Skylaylee
9. Albacore
10. RoadAgain
11. FieryGuns
12. Boo Beep Boop

In addition, I will update this thread with the following information throughout the entirety of the challenge.

Current Gym Leader Racing to: Roxanne
Result of Last Challenge: A challenged B and (won/lost)
Remaining Competitors: Everyone!

To sign up, reply to this thread, or let me know on PokemonShowdown (username The Goomy).

DUE TO DS EMULATORS FAILING, WE WILL BE PLAYING THE EMERALD RANDOMIZER I WILL POST A SCREENSHOT OF SETTINGS WE WILL USE. THANK YOU

Video of Rules:

Last edited:

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think you should have decided which game we're going to play before you posted the thread...looks like a lot of people are tentatively in depending on the game (myself included).

Anyway, I'm in if we do a game that can be played on GBA. I hope I can participate, this looks like a lot of fun (and it's about time we got some more competitions around here!)

I guess I'm in.

The rules are a bit confusing/something tho.

To boot, if you die in the Nuzlocke itself, you would be out, right? /inb4 no one reaches the end.

-A minimum of 5 Pokemon may be on your team when you face a Gym Leader (excluding the first gym)
Uh. Minimum? If you fail to meet this, are you out? Also, I guess... why? Sure, with the 4v4 matches coming after this are a thing, but this doesn't make it a guarantee at all. Minimum of 4 would work equally well.

-After the 24 hours have passed from the time someone has beaten a Gym Leader, the "winner" of that race will determine who of the remaining players they want to face (the challenger).
The winner is... the guy that finished first, or something else, such as the guy with the lowest in-game time? I think both have been implied to some extent, but at least the former has a problem of favoring people depending on their timezone, I s'pose.

-The format of the battle will be as such: Each player will bring 4 of their six Pokemon into a battle with the EXACT stats that are on the Nuzlocke (level, item, moveset, total stats,nature)
As with the minimum of 5 Pokemon against Leaders... if you fail to meet the ability to bring 4 with you, are you out? Or will you just have to cope with having less than 4 Pokemon? Could be interesting.

Do Nuzlocke rules apply to these battles too? I'd assume no, but...

-The challenger, as a prize for winning, gets to choose one Pokemon that the opponent cannot use.
An earlier rule mentions that the person the "winner" picks is the challenger, so this kinda doesn't make sense.
Now, reading it several times through, I did pick up an alternative interpretation that the winner is also the challenger.

-Dupes clause (if you see a Pokemon that you already have as the first in a route, you can try until you see something new)
Just for shits and giggles... you can read the dupes clause as being optional. So, if I feel like it, and get sufficiently lucky, I can probably make a full team of Wurmple or something, right?

That's a handful of questions I'd like some light on.

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
I guess I'm in.

The rules are a bit confusing/something tho.

To boot, if you die in the Nuzlocke itself, you would be out, right? /inb4 no one reaches the end.

Uh. Minimum? If you fail to meet this, are you out? Also, I guess... why? Sure, with the 4v4 matches coming after this are a thing, but this doesn't make it a guarantee at all. Minimum of 4 would work equally well.

The winner is... the guy that finished first, or something else, such as the guy with the lowest in-game time? I think both have been implied to some extent, but at least the former has a problem of favoring people depending on their timezone, I s'pose.

As with the minimum of 5 Pokemon against Leaders... if you fail to meet the ability to bring 4 with you, are you out? Or will you just have to cope with having less than 4 Pokemon? Could be interesting.

Do Nuzlocke rules apply to these battles too? I'd assume no, but...

An earlier rule mentions that the person the "winner" picks is the challenger, so this kinda doesn't make sense.
Now, reading it several times through, I did pick up an alternative interpretation that the winner is also the challenger.

Just for shits and giggles... you can read the dupes clause as being optional. So, if I feel like it, and get sufficiently lucky, I can probably make a full team of Wurmple or something, right?

That's a handful of questions I'd like some light on.

Thanks for sharing your concern, hopefully this can answer your questions:

-If you lose in the Nuzlocke challenge, you are out. (It is unlikely, but can happen)

-The minimum of 5 Pokemon, combined with the 10 level difference is intended to prevent people from overpowering one Pokemon and blasting through the game that way (I.E solo run with a legendary)

-If you look at the original post in the thread, it is clarified that the winner is the person with the least in game time for that leg only. So, after each gym leader, everyone's time resets.

-You only have have to bring 5-6 Pokemon to each gym battle, you don't necessarily have to have more than 5 coming out. However, if you lose all but one Pokemon in that battle(for example), that is the only Pokemon you can bring to the "challenger" battle. (The team you post is only surviving members)

-The winner is the challenger. I realize the wording of that particular rule is strange. But the winner is the person who gains the advantage of choosing a Pokemon the opponent cannot use.

-I'd like to keep the dupes clause as is, so that one person does not get some crazy advantage like 2 Arceus, etc.

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
Also, based off of the early poll results and people I have talked to, the game we will be playing is Black/White. PM me if you were hesitant letting me know if you would like to participate. Thank you. :S

Ahh, I did see the mention of the leg for the race, but I didn't even think of it's implications.

Thanks for answering all of these inquiries.

So, if you don't have the 5+ Pokemon for the Gyms you're also out? I think that was left slightly unclear. It does make sense to have the 5 Pokemon limit to prevent overleveling like that, but then again, this is a Nuzlocke. Bad things can happen.

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
I'd like to make the rule that you MUST have at least 5 Pokemon after the 2nd Gym. By that point in the game it should be reasonable to assume that you can have at least 5 Pokes. before that, you'll want as many as you can get anyway. :)

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm definitely willing to do this if there's enough space left. Count me in!

This could be a great challenge, but we'll largely have to rely on the honesty of everybody participating. If there's just 12 of us, it could certainly work.

Edit : Wait, do you actually have to use an emulator? Otherwise, I don't think posting a screenshot of your team is possible...

Okay, I've read the rules, and I have a few questions :

If I understand correctly, whoever wins against a gym leader must stop playing for 24 hours, and after these 24 hours, he must challenge someone to a battle. However, whoever he's challenging had more time to grind. Whoever defeated the gym first is therefore at a disadvantage, which is bad, because it basically handicaps you for winning.
We should maybe allow whoever defeated the gym first to continue training, but not actually advance past said gym. But that's not great either, because the guy who beat the gym is at an advantage this time.
Maybe we should keep the "stop playing for 24 hours" rule, but instead, make it illegal to have Pokemon of higher level than the highest leveled Pokemon belonging to the first gym defeater? And if your Pokemon is already at a higher level, you're not allowed to train it up more?
Or perhaps we should simply set all Pokemon to level 100 on Showdown with the corresponding EVs and nature?

Do you lose if you fail to beat the gym in the 24 hours needed?

Also, if you fail to catch 5 Pokemon before the second gym, do you automatically lose? and can you go back to the first road after you got the Pokeballs to catch a Pokemon there?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to make sure I understand the rules.

Last edited:
I was interested then saw we're doing B/W which doesn't have that much variation in the catches, so everyone will end up with more or less the same team. Especially at the first gym. I'd be more inclined to say that HG/SS, Emerald or Platinum are better choices simply for the diversity allowing for different teams. [And that's ignoring X/Y]

Skalaylee

I dont even realize everyone in my sig is being sarcastic
Next time if this goes well i will be apart of

TEAM EMERALD RANDOMIZER

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
I'm definitely willing to do this if there's enough space left. Count me in!

This could be a great challenge, but we'll largely have to rely on the honesty of everybody participating. If there's just 12 of us, it could certainly work.

Edit : Wait, do you actually have to use an emulator? Otherwise, I don't think posting a screenshot of your team is possible...

Okay, I've read the rules, and I have a few questions :

If I understand correctly, whoever wins against a gym leader must stop playing for 24 hours, and after these 24 hours, he must challenge someone to a battle. However, whoever he's challenging had more time to grind. Whoever defeated the gym first is therefore at a disadvantage, which is bad, because it basically handicaps you for winning.
We should maybe allow whoever defeated the gym first to continue training, but not actually advance past said gym. But that's not great either, because the guy who beat the gym is at an advantage this time.
Maybe we should keep the "stop playing for 24 hours" rule, but instead, make it illegal to have Pokemon of higher level than the highest leveled Pokemon belonging to the first gym defeater? And if your Pokemon is already at a higher level, you're not allowed to train it up more?
Or perhaps we should simply set all Pokemon to level 100 on Showdown with the corresponding EVs and nature?

Do you lose if you fail to beat the gym in the 24 hours needed?

Also, if you fail to catch 5 Pokemon before the second gym, do you automatically lose? and can you go back to the first road after you got the Pokeballs to catch a Pokemon there?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to make sure I understand the rules.
Thanks for your input! I will be posting a video soon that explains the rules verbally, which may be easier to understand. Let me try to answer your questions as best I can.

-I am currently discussing with my friend a better way to do this challenge (we have BIG plans in mind), however, for this challenge, the 24 hour rule will apply. The winner gets the advantage of not only choosing who they want to face, but also one Pokemon they cannot bring. Hopefully that is enough to entice people to win.

-If you don't beat the Gym in the 24 hours you lose because the challenge needs to be relatively fast paced. I hope it can be completed in approximately 2 weeks most

-You also lose if you don't have 5 Pokemon for every Gym past #2. It's reasonable to expect that you can have at least 5 Pokemon at that point, and as I explained earlier, it's mostly to prevent people from overpowered a couple Pokemon

-The Nuzlocke starts AFTER you get Pokeballs.

Hope this clears things up. Thank you!

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sweet, a Randomizer Nuzlocke! This is going to be fun and probably hilarious!

Knowing my luck, I bet I'll end up finding Metang and having to waste all my Pokeballs on it...

Edit : How do we set the randomizer?
Also, is there a way to stop people form fast-forwarding? I guess you could look at the elapsed time and determine if it's actually possible in that amount of real time...

Last edited:

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
Sweet, a Randomizer Nuzlocke! This is going to be fun and probably hilarious!

Knowing my luck, I bet I'll end up finding Metang and having to waste all my Pokeballs on it...

Edit : How do we set the randomizer?
Also, is there a way to stop people form fast-forwarding? I guess you could look at the elapsed time and determine if it's actually possible in that amount of real time...
Mostly just people need to honor not fast forwarding. And also, when you use the fast forward function, it does that much in game time.

For example. If you are at 360X normal speed, every second you fast forward does 6 minutes in game time. So not only is it not really to your advantage to fast forward, but it also would be fairly obvious if people had been using it a lot.

IMPORTANT EDIT: There is a limit of 5 hours in game time for each leg. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)