1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Obi-Rain Stall (1800 on PS)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by shadowxevo, Sep 9, 2012.

1. shadowxevo

shadowxevo

~~~~ Introduction ~~~~

I was currently reading an article about stall, or, more precisely, obi-stall. For those who may not know what that is, it's using Perish Song to "psuedo-phaze" opponents. Now, that got me thinking... What if I use it on a stall team, but also as a way to "psuedo-revenge"? And that's what inspired this team.

I dedicate this to user david stone! Thank you! :D

~~~~ The Team ~~~~

[​IMG]

Divinity (Politoed) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    - Perish Song
    - Scald
    - Protect
    - Toxic​

Politoed is going to be obvious here, as it is a rain team. I use the standard 252 HP/Def set to basically be able to take a battering and status the opponent with one of two moves; Scald and Toxic. Between these two, there is nothing that is immune to my status, making the match way easier. The move I'd like to point out is Perish Song; it puts a 3-turn timer on my opponent as well as myself, the clock ending when you switch, otherwise you get KO'd. This lets Politoed check things such as Keldeo, Scizor, and other Pokemon who like to set up. This also wracks up the Stealth Rock damage my opponent is going to be taking later in the match. Protect is very useful, whether it be scouting a Choice Scarf Pokemon, or slowly ticking down the timers the other moves start, as well as bring Leftovers recovery. All in all, Politoed isn't as dead-weight as everyone gives it credit.

[​IMG]
    Bishop (Celebi) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 220 SDef / 252 HP / 36 Spd
    Calm Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - U-turn
    - Recover
    - Perish Song

Celebi has a lot of things going on with it. This particular one is Specially Defensive, able to check Keldeo and other Celebi's. It sets up Stealth Rock, which is vital in a team like this, as it is the only hazard that does damage; I don't have any room for Spikes anywhere. Recover is pretty self-explanatory, being able to abuse Celebi for as long as possible. And finally, there is the dynamic duo in U-Turn and Perish Song. A slow U-Turn takes advantage of the next member as well, being able to take out Heatran, Tyranitar, and the such. Perish Song was discussed on Politoed's description, but with Celebi, its somewhat slow U-turn can lead to big comeback plays with the next teammate.
    Being Grass helps a lot when dealing with opposing Ferrothorn, when any other member can't directly take it down.

[​IMG]
    Duggy T. (Dugtrio) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Arena Trap
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Substitute
    - Protect

Dugtrio is the centerpiece of the team - it created the whole idea of "pseudo-revenge": the ability to use Perish Song the turn before you go down, and take out the opposing threat. Usually, I use Celebi or Politoed to Perish Song before they go down, and if the opponent is grounded, then they have a nasty surprise coming at them: Dugtrio uses its ability to trap them, and stall for the next 3 turns with Substitute and Protect. I can literally take down any (grounded) enemy with careful timing, easily. This also lets me Toxic or Burn stall my opponent until I can hit them with Earthquake or Stone Edge. Dugtrio isn't a slouch either, taking out Ninetales and Tyranitar with ease, bringing infinite rain down on the foe. The surprise factor on this is magnificent; I get an enormous amount of ragequits when people realize what I'm doing. Dugtrio is definitely the most important Pokemon here, because it does basically everything I need it to do - get rid of opposing weather, stall, take out specific threats, and revenge kill when necessary. Also, due to the large amount of Choice Scarf Genesect, I can trap one stuck on Thunderbolt, set up a Sub, recover the HP, and go for the kill. As long as they haven't already ragequit.

[​IMG]
    Overload (Genesect) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Download
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
    Hasty Nature
    - Bug Buzz
    - Ice Beam
    - U-turn
    - Thunder​

My gosh. When this was released, I never realized how much the hype would live up to the expectation! Genesect takes care of all sorts of threats, and to take the words directly out of PK Gaming's mouth, it nerfs every Dragon in the game. Genesect is my only check to Dragons, and the only one I need; its fast Ice Beam is the end to every Dragon, bar Multiscale-active Dragonite. To make it worse, its U-Turn causes never-ending mind games, causing switches just because it exists, making my opponent overpredict with Genesect's amazing coverage, taking down threats for no reason in particular. Ice Beam and Thunder create powerful coverage, and the Paralyze chance with Thunder comes in handy a lot. I use Hasty nature because Genesect can... sometimes... take a full-power Draco Meteor, but it's a "just-in-case" option. It forms a core with Rotom-W for Voltturn, just like Scizor, except this one creates more pressure, as they both have the same counters; if one goes down, both can rampage. With Rain up, it's almost impossible to KO in one shot.

[​IMG]
    LL Cruel J (Tentacruel) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Rain Dish
    EVs: 240 Def / 252 HP / 16 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Scald
    - Rapid Spin
    - Protect​

LL Cruel J doesn't play games, son!
    *Erhem* Anyways, Tentacruel is a solid Rapid Spinner, especially in rain, where it recovers x2 Leftovers. It sets up Toxic Spikes so the rest of the team takes a load off of their backs of things like Rotom-W and Politoed so they don't have to manually Toxic / Burn the enemy. Also, with the opponent with Badly Poisoned status can be stalled with Dugtrio's SubProtects. Scald is there for the obligatory STAB option as well as burning, and Protect stacks with Poison and Rain Dish/Leftovers recovery. I use a physically defensive build to stop things like Scizor from wrecking my team with Bullet Punch / U-Turn. Pretty standard.

[​IMG]
    Riptide (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Calm Nature
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Pain Split​

To be honest, I've literally always lead with Rotom-W; it has very good match-ups! Volt Switch piles up the pressure from Celebi / Genesect's U-turn, while checking the commonly-used Water types in the OU tier, and takes advantage of the fact that Rain is the most prevalent weather. Hydro Pump for STAB, and is amazingly powerful in the Rain. Pain Split is the mainstay of the set; it destroys things like Blissey who try to use their high Sp.Def to wall, only to get demolished by Rotom-W or Genesect. Will-O-Wisp is a last measure for physical threats such as Scizor or Tyranitar, or just doing residual damage in general, nice when combined with Pain Split and the large amounts of damage from its STAB combination. As stated before, its switching move takes advantage of Dugtrio, and the opponent cannot feel truly save when I still have Dugtrio waiting to trap.
  2. Joeyboy

Joeyboy Check out my Youtube channel! JoeyboyGames!
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Neat team dude, I've just got a very quick suggestion because I'm about to be off to bed :)

I suggest you try replacing Dugtrio with Wobbufett. The(only) set I recommend it:

Show Hide
    [​IMG]Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
    Trait: Shadow Tag
    EVs: 28 HP / 252 Def / 228 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Counter
    - Mirror Coat
    - Encore
    - Safeguard

It serves a super similar play style to Dugtrio but allows you to trap even non-grounded pokemon! Wobbufett also has the distinction that it is much MUCH bulkier than Dugtrio so it can even trap multiple opponents, especially big slow walls.

Last suggestion is Have Fun and Good Luck!
  3. chimpact

chimpact fire nation
    is an official Team Rateris a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

You have a great concept for your team. It's kind of the same as the whirlpool/fire spin + u-turn/baton pass trapping technique in 4th gen.

Thundurus-T and Tornadus-T can definitely cause some problems to your team. Rotom-W and Tentacruel are the only pokemon that can really switch into Tornadus, and if Tornadus gets confusion hax on Tentacruel it can get 3hko'd. While Rotom-W just makes you lose momentum when it u-turns out.

I really think you should give Tentacruel toxic over toxic spikes. This way when Thundurus comes in on you, you can hit it with a toxic and then switch to celebi and u-turn into dugtrio effectively stalling out the toxic turns with dugtrio. In addition toxic spikes are not as good as what they used to be. you don't want to be set up bait and toxic forces them to take initiative and not waste any turns trying to set up.

Also if you give your rotom-W 20 Spatk EVs, it will alows ohko Naive tornadus after rocks and it guarantees a 3hko on Specially Defensive Tyranitar with Hydro pump after rocks.
  4. Superpowerdude

Superpowerdude "The Phone-Post King"
    is an official Team Rateris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Mentor

Hey man nice team i really like the concept of using Perish Song like a phazing move.

Firstly looking at your Tentacruel it really seems to fit with the nature of this team by being a good defensive pokemon with Rain Dish but also being a good utility by setting up Toxic Spikes. However the problem with Toxic Spikes is with rain teams being ever so common in bw2 Tentacruel's and Amoongus's can just come in and absorb your Toxic Spikes while the new powerhouses the Therians all have a Flying-Type thus avoiding getting damaged by Toxic Spikes. A much better Tentacruel set for your team is SubToxic>Current Set Substitute Toxic Tentacruel really works wonders on this team because it can still Rapid Spin but can use Substitute to block status and help it Toxic switch ins. That is really the philosophy behind this set send it in on something it threatens get up a Substitute on the switch and then cripple the switch in with Toxic. This style of play is made even more deadly with the two Perish Song users on your team and i will explain why. You Perish Song your opponent and then you switch in Tentacruel when there Perish Song count goes to 1. Now they are forced to switch making you able to get a Substitute up on the switch. I use a similar style to this in one of my rain teams with SubToxic Tentacruel and Perish Song Politoed and it works wonders. With Rain Dish you also easily gain Hp you lost from making a Substitute while Toxic is much better tehn Toxic Spikes because you can also Toxic the Therians although in Landorus's case you will probally being Scalding anyway. The evs are also exactly the same as your current set as it make Tentacruel reach 264 speed letting it Toxic Subsitute Dragon Dance Gyarados and Dragonite before they can get up a Substitute.

Other then that nice team! I hope i helped :)

Sets
    Show Hide
    Show Hide

[​IMG]
    Tentacruel @ Leftovers | Rain Dish
    Bold | 252 Hp / 240 Def / 16 Spe
    Scald | Rapid Spin | Toxic | Substitute

Tl;dr
    Show Hide
    Show Hide

Tentacruel
    .SubToxic--->Defensive Set

~Superpowerdude
  5. Hot N Cold

Hot N Cold PLUTO
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Ah, i play against this team in the ladder.

My suggestions:

• Refresh > Perish Song over Politoed.
    • Leaf Storm > Stealth Rock over Celebi.
    • Stealth Rock > Substitute and Stone Edge > Protect over Dugtrio.
    • Change the Evs Spread over Rotom-W, this should work well: 252 HP / 32 SAtk / 224 SDef
    • Change Genesect over Skarmory Def since your team is weak against Dragon types and Skarmory is a solid wall with Spikes support and is a stall team.
    Set (open)

Skarmory (F) @ Shed Shell / Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Brave Bird
    - Spikes
    - Roost
    - Whirlwind
  6. Ames

Ames

Very cool, Perish Song is one of my favourite moves and I'm glad that one of the few pokemon who learn it (toed) is viable in OU this gen.

I was going to agree about changing Dugtrio to Wobb, however, played well, I think that your Dugtrio set could still be just as effective. Wouldn't be a bad idea to test Wobb anyway though.
  7. shadowxevo

shadowxevo

Hm... I'll definitely give SubToxic Tentacruel a try, as the problems you guys said were very hard to play around.

Also, the reason I use Dugtrio v. Wobbuffet is because Dugtrio also kills opposing weather starters, like Ninetales and Tyranitar.

Thanks for the rates! Keep 'em up! :D

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)