1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Obliteration - A SandStorm RMT (1700+ on Showdown)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Sork, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Sork

Sork

So, I figured that when I got to 1700 rank on showdown, I would go ahead and make this RMT. This team has had very great success for me in the past 2 weeks, and I think that this is probably one of the best teams I could have made. So, without further ado, here it is. Obliteration.

New Quahog (Starmie) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 216 Spd / 40 Def
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Rapid Spin
    - Recover
    - Psyshock

I originally had a Specs Rotom-Wash here, but after some suggestions, and some playtesting, I found that bulky Starmie fills that role even better. With scald being able to burn, it's a great out to ferrothorn, who I can rapid spin on right after they switch. Recover is for added survival, and psychock over psychic so I can hit chansey and blissey harder. It also helps out against the random curselax if it ever does come up.

Da-Mar-Mar (Latias) (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 152 HP / 176 SAtk / 180 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Surf
    - Roost
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Latias is my tank for the team. Most of the time, when people see Latias, they expect it to be either the Calm Mind set, or the bulky roar set. This takes advantage of Latias's natural bulk and above average special attack stat. People send in Ferrothorn, thinking they can wall me, and they get smacked hard by an HP Fire. Draco is mandatory, big damage is big damage, and Surf is for Heatran and what I can't hit with my other two moves. Roost is for the survival, because Latias really does come in handy a lot.

AlexTrebek (Landorus) (M) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
    Naive Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Expert Belt Landorus is my main attacker for the team. I try to keep the weather up so that Landorus can hit very hard under sandstorm. With it's incredibly powerful attack, and being boosted by Sand Force, it's something you don't want to run into in a dark alley. HP Ice is for Gliscor and the like, and it's usually what I use instead of Stone Edge on flying types weak to it, because Stone Edge just loves to miss for me. U-turn and Earthquake are mandatory for keeping up the momentum, plus it works great as a voltturn core with Rotom.

HollowSuit (Tyranitar) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
    Sassy Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Stone Edge
    - Crunch
    - Fire Blast

T-Tar is the main person I want to keep alive for as long as possible. By playing so many weather teams on the ladder, I know how to keep T-tar alive, because in this metagame, if you can keep the weather, then you can usually control the flow of the game. Stealth rock because it's rocks, it's a must, Crunch and Stone Edge are standard, and Fire Blast is for those pesky steels. I can't do anything to Heatran, but usually when it sees that it can't do any damage to me, it usually forces the switch, allowing me to keep up even more pressure. If it does start to Earth Power me, I can always switch into Landorus or Rotom and threaten it out.

UnderThree (Genesect) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Download
    EVs: 252 Spd / 194 SAtk / 64 Atk
    Hasty Nature
    - U-turn
    - Flamethrower
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt

I originally had banded Scizor here, but I found that after I lost Latias, I really had no special attacking power, and Scizor wasn't doing much for the team. Sure, it could help out against Tornadus-T and the weakened set up sweeper, but I've found that Genesect has made that role even better. U-turn to keep up the momentum, and the FlameBoltBeam trio for great coverage. With sash, I can bluff the scarf, and since people are likely to remember Genesect, they usually assume it's scarf. So they set up to +2 with their set up sweeper, thinking they can outspeed Genesect and ohko. Well, they do outspeed, but they are stopped short because of Sash, and since Genesect is a steel type, I don't have to worry about sandstorm taking him out, and whatever he doesn't take out, usually sandstorm does the job. The ev's are to maximize U-turn's power, and Hasty nature so that opposing Genesect get the special attack raise.

NobodyEpic (Terrakion) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - X-Scissor
    - Stone Edge
    - Close Combat
    - Earthquake

I needed a fast poke, and before I had Haxorus on the team, but it was never able to set up, and it just kept costing me game after game, trying to get it set up to outspeed his scarfer. Ultimately, I decided to let it go and try out Terrakion, and boy am I ever happier. Standard scarf set because that's what it does best. I'm able to outspeed +Speed MoxieMence with scarf, Modest Venusaurs in sun, scarf Jirachi, genesect, and I have a chance against opposing Scarf Keldeo and Terrakion. Standard moves are standard, not much to explain. Just hit hard and pull out.
    Well, that's about it, I really hope you guys enjoy my first post being my first team on here, and I really want to know how to make my team better. Please leave suggestions and comments on what to change on my sets. Thank you, and have a nice day.
  2. Jirachee

Jirachee I devote this Custom Title to Dice, my Supreme Overlord
    is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    RMT Co-Leader

Hi

Cool team. I definetly think you should consider Jolly on Terrakion again. While Adamant allows you to hit a small bit harder, it means that Naive ScarfMoxieMence etc all outspeed you, so you won't be able to revenge kill them appropiately. You are probably aware of that though, as you have mentioned it, but still, Terrakion is a revenge killer and will be much more effective with a +Speed nature. Another thing that you won't outspeed with Adamant Terrakion are Chlorophyll sweepers, such as Venusaur, Lilligant and Victreebel which are very threatning and considering they get Sleep Powder they could very well put Latias to sweep and then proceed to curbstomp your team rather easily, as Tyranitar is easy to get rid of with Dugtrio. With Jolly Scarf Terrakion, you can at least count on something to outspeed and KO them. Adamant is fairly pointless anyway as Terrakion already hits very hard and the power boost isn't that great.

I think that your team is going to struggle against teams that rely on entry hazards, as it is very easy for Ferrothorn, Skarmory and the likes to set the up quite early in the game. You have 3 choiced Pokemon which means they're easy set up fodder for these Spikers who resist a lot of common moves, and you will be switching around a lot which means that mons that take even neutral damage from Stealth Rock will lose a lot of health pretty quickly. Against Rain teams with Ferrothorn, it will be very difficult to win the weather war as Tyranitar will have to come in very often, and every time will take a ton of damage from Spikes + SR + etc which means that if they have something like Choice Specs Latios or whatever, you will end up losing quite quickly. I think that you could use Bulky Rapid Spin Starmie instead of Rotom-W. Starmie is a great Pokemon as it can spin Ferrothorn's (and Skarmory's) hazards away keeping all your Pokemon healthy, making switching around much easier. Starmie can even burn Ferrothorn if it switches on Scald, making it easier to deal with. While you lose a pretty cool Skarmory switch in, at least you can get rid of all the Spikes it's going to set up on Landorus etc.

This is pretty minor but you should use 248 HP EVs on Scizor instead of 252, as it allows you to switch into Stealth Rock one more time, as your HP won't be divisible by 8.

Overall cool team, here's the set you should use:
    Starmie (open)

[​IMG]
    Starmie @ Leftovers
    Natural Cure
    Timid
    EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
    ~Scald
    ~Psychic
    ~Rapid Spin
    ~Recover

Good luck!
  3. Sork

Sork

Thanks for the advice, I have been having trouble with MoxieMence and sun sweepers, so I think I'm gonna make that change to Jolly. I never really thought about Starmie, but I guess I can give it a try.
  4. Joeyboy

Joeyboy Check out my Youtube channel! JoeyboyGames!
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Cool team man!

So firstly I agree with Jirachi's Bulky Starmie over Rotom-W.

Secondly I suggest replacing Scizor with Expert Belt Genesect, the set in question is:

Show Hide
    [​IMG] Genesect @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Download
    EVs: 64 Atk / 252 Spd / 192 SAtk
    Naive Nature
    - U-turn
    - Flamethrower
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt

Genesect plays very similarly to Scizor but has the added benefit of its unpredictability. Starmie's Rapid Spin also has the utility of keeping Genesect's Focus Sash intact.

My final suggestion is trying a Special Landorus over your current set. The set I suggest is:

Show Hide
    [​IMG] Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
    Timid Nature
    - Substitute
    - Earth Power
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

With the lose of Rotom-W I felt as if you needed so more Special Attacking power. This set allows you to lure in physical walls and dismantle them. I hope you try them out.

Final suggestion is Have Fun and Good Luck!
  5. TheStarRapper

TheStarRapper

I'll third the Starmie suggestion but I recommend using Psyshock over Psychic to hit CM Keldeo, Terrakion in Sandstorm, Tentacruel, and Amoonguss much harder.
  6. Sork

Sork

Alright, thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'll be sure to try them out and see how they work with me. The main reason why I had Scizor in the first place is because priority is a must for this team, since it needs to be able to take out certain things asap. I will keep these suggestions in mind, and I'll see how they do in playtesting.
  7. Sork

Sork

Well, after some playtesting, Genesect really does help out a lot more than scizor, since I constantly found myself without a way to hit physical walls hard without latias. My current rating with the team is about 1780, was close to 1800, but, choked on the first battle from a 2 day vacation. Sucks. Any other suggestions?
  8. chimpact

chimpact fire nation
    is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributor

you REALLY need jolly on terrakion. you outspeed Modest Venusaurs in sun, scarf Jirachi, genesect and actually have a chance against scarf keldeo/terrakion. it's not only for scarfmence.

Additionally I'd like to suggest removing 4 hp EVs on rotom and adding them to Def so Genesect gets a Spatk boost. CB Genesect can cause some problems and giving it a useless boost will help combat it.
  9. Sork

Sork

Yeah, I already made the change on Terrakion, and I actually removed Rotom for bulky starmie, which has been working out great for me. My current ranking is about 1786, I'm so close to being on the ladder I can just taste it. I think I'm gonna edit my original post so that everybody can see the changes already made.
  10. Sork

Sork

Well, I made it all the way to 1800 on Showdown, and yet I still feel as if the team could do better. Any more changes you guys can see?
  11. Sork

Sork

Well, it's been 2 days, and not a single rate afterwards. I still feel as if this team is lacking somehow, but I don't know why. I do miss the priority that Scizor brought to the team, but at the same time, Genesect keeps up that special attacking prowess that I desperately need.
  12. Superpowerdude

Superpowerdude based wooper #dealwithit
    is an official Team Rateris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Mentor

Hey man nice looking team! There isn't really to much to change after the suggestions you have gotten from other raters

My only suggestion is regarding your Genesect. Focus Sash is not really a good item for Genesect although it bluffs Choice Scarf that job can be done much better with Expert Belt>Focus Sash Expert Belt still bluffs a Choice Scarf however combined with Genesects awesome coverage it makes Genesect an even more dangerous attacker. Besides with Focus Sash you put to much pressure on Starmie to spin hazards away so Genesect can keep its Focus Sash and unless he is confronted with a Fire-Type move he will typically live an uboosted hit anyway.

Other than that there isn't really to much to rate good luck with the team!

Tl;dr
    Show Hide

Exeprt Belt--->Focus Sash

~Superpowerdude

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)