Offensive Stall OU (Standing in for 5 is #2)

(Note: I am accustomed to PO rulings, although I do try to abide by the Smogon rulings, as is this team in particular.)
Hi everybody!! I’m so, SO sorry! I haven’t been notably active around these parts for months. It’s been very hectic, with the advent of Gen 5 and Shoddy becoming…well, shoddy. So as you can imagine, things have been chaos. I’ve been chilling around at Pokémon Online nowadays. This team, in fact, was designed solely because I wanted to use Crocune as my main for 1v1 Gen 5, so I thought, “Why not just build an entire team around it while you’re at it?” And so I did, and I must say, it actually turned out to be my first relatively-successful Gen 5 team (I made about three Gen 5 teams prior to this one but they’re meh, mainly used to explore the environment of Gen 5)! If you know me well, you would know that I don't particular take laddering seriously, although through many tests, I can assure you this team works with finesse.
And so now you’re probably thinking, “Aw, P-PIT, did you really have to make a team full of the most OU of OU? I’m ashamed of you.” Fear not, for my sets shall be, and shall always be, truly innovative:

Poké Ball set-Inject, SLUDGECOIL: Gangster of the Sea!
♀

Leftovers
Liquid Ooze
252 HP/120 Def/136 Special Def
Calm (+Special Def, -Attack)
Toxic Spikes
Rapid Spin
Surf
Magic Coat

In order to prep the team for its devastating endgame Suicune, I have determined to get Toxic Spikes up at the start of the match is the priority. Tentacruel actually makes a better lead than I expected it to be, although against some opponents such as Donphan and Hippowdon, I am somewhat forced to recall her instantly due to the dominant threat of Earthquake. Still, seeing as she shares the same typing with Suicune, she is also rather expendable, but bulky nonetheless. Magic Coat received a major upgrade since last Gen, and seeing as Tentacruel is the only Pokémon on the entire team with access to it, she flaunts it pretty well in the lead position.

Poké Ball set-Storm, BEASTGRACE: Breeze of Purity!

Chesto Berry
Water Absorb
252 HP/252 Def/4 Special Attack
Bold (+Def, -Attack)
Calm Mind
Rest
Scald
Ice Beam

Ta-da! ChestoRestin’ Crocune is in business! You could not believe the shock I was in when the Gen 4 Suicune sets on both Smogon and Serebii both made no mention of this set whatsoever. With that, the only EV spread I could rely on was that of the standard Crocune.
I picked ChestoRestcune as my main 1v1 because…well…with Calm Mind, it can pretty much outstall any other competitor, and if forced to, hit very hard with a direct attack. I decided to slot Ice Beam in spite of Sleep Talk for the ability to strike Grass types, most notably Breloom (and also because Sleep Talk isn’t that big a deal compared to Chesto Berry when it’s only 1v1). Apparently I overlooked Scald at first, because apparently I was running Surf. After comparing the two, I finally settled for Scald after determining Surf’s extra power provided no particular benefits. Recently, however, this Suicune barely managed to inch ahead of a Lapras spamming Drizzle Hydration with outdamaging it with Surf.
I was wondering if I really needed Water Absorb. Running Pressure could help bluff I have Sleep Talk, but that’s minor. The main concern is that no one is weak to Water, instead packing a healthy resistance to it. On the other hand, there’s nothing in particular Suicune is intending to PP stall (except Draco Meteor, maybe), and Water Absorb was helpful in beating that aforementioned Curse Lapras (which seems to me to be rising in usage).

Poké Ball set-Mutate, SILENTSOUL: Tatters of Demise!
♂

Leftovers
Levitate
252 Attack/4 Special Attack/252 Speed
Hasty (+Speed, -Def)
Screech
Crunch
U-turn
Fire Blast

And they all said Charge Beam was Hydreigon’s only boosting option. This set works exactly like the overlooked Screech Flygon set from Gen 4 (only Crunch instead of Dragon Claw this time). This set (solely created by me, explaining the immature 252/252 spread) was selected due to the dominance of hazard usage on this team. Unlike Roar or Dragon Tail, Screech also complements Hydreigon’s strong hit-and-run nature, especially with U-turn shenanigans. Otherwise, Hydreigon appreciates good type synergies with the rest of the team.
A recent change was from Jolly to Hasty in order for Fire Blast to secure stronger damage input upon the Steel types it was meant to scorch, and also because there weren’t many Physical attacks Hydreigon was really meant to take (most notable are probably ExtremeSpeeds, Crunches, and Sucker Punches). Earthquake was considered, but it was decided Heatran wasn’t that big of a deal.

Dusk Ball set-Materialize, ANTIMATTER: Underworld Messenger!
♀

Choice Band
Pressure
252 HP/252 Attack/4 Speed
Adamant (+Attack, -Special Attack)
Trick
Sucker Punch
Will-O-Wisp
Focus Punch

Yep, spinblocker! If you need a Ghost Pokémon, why not roll with Dusknoir? Dusky is significant in being a Physical Ghost Pokémon that’s not as fragile as Banette but much stronger than Sableye (well…yeah…I guess there’s Golurk, but Dusknoir is that much more bulkier and I don’t see the gladiator robot carrying the same movepool Dusky does). Sucker Punch is pseudo-STAB, exchanging the 10 points Shadow Punch has higher for a priority hit. Although this team shouldn’t be forcing many switches with the presence of hazards, Focus Punch does just fine as a complement to Dark STAB, severely injuring the Pokémon that might want to try and switch in on Dusknoir. The key thing to making this set shine is TrickBand. Trick is what makes the team vital to destroying that one enemy that could be driving me nuts (Reuniclus, Ferrothorn, Conkledurr, although usually Dusknoir would have to sacrifice itself to Trick that last one). It was a hard decision, but I ultimately decided to trade up Ice Punch for Will-O-Wisp, considering the defensive aspects of this team and generic utility (yet another thing Dusknoir has over Golurk).

Cherish Ball set-Warp, GREENONION: Guardian of the Forest!

Leftovers
Natural Cure
252 HP/240 Def/16 Speed
Bold (+Def, -Attack)
U-turn
Heal Bell
Recover
Psychic

Due to the vulnerability of the Pokémon on this team towards status, and the two that aren’t are non-Sleep Talking Resters, a cleric was in demand. Celebi’s type synergy with this team was utterly fantastic, and between U-turn and Recover, it easily secured the job. I also picked this pixie mainly in part due to Psychic, as Conkledurr was such a menace I couldn’t let that go unchecked. Celebi would take heavy damage from Payback, but at least it would win out, unlike a frailer Psychic like Starmie.
Looking this team over, I can see that Mew can run this exact same set. What is key about this? Firstly, Celebi is Flying-weak, and I don’t have any resistors to that. Celebi also shares its weaknesses to Fire and Ice with at least one other team member. In exchange, however, Celebi also resists Ground (only useful for Tentacruel), Grass (only useful for Suicune, but Celebi does hold a better match-up versus Ferrothorn), Electric (good, considering the important of my Water types), and Water (meh). Despite having no Grass STAB, Celebi still can jeer in the faces of Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and Water types, more so than Mew can. Mew’s Synchronize will usually prove better than Celebi’s Natural Cure. However, Mew is liable to be Uberized again at any moment, and I feel uncomfortable about working with former Ubers.

Poké Ball set-Plant, LAWNKILLER: Mossy Grinch!
♂

Rocky Helmet
Iron Barbs
252 HP/4 Def/252 Special Def
Careful (+Special Def, -Special Attack)
Spikes
Stealth Rock
Rest
Power Whip

Oh, no, it’s Ferrothorn! Ferrothorn is now what you would consider the default Steel type, relegating even the mighty Forretress to primarily a bulky suicide lead role (I’m very familiar with the aspect of a bulky suicide lead – it was my preference in Gen 4). If Tentacruel is my Physically bulky Water, and Suicune is my Specially bulky Water, it would only be logical that Ferrothorn ought to be my Specially bulky Grass in order to complement Celebi being the Physically bulky Grass (look past the fact that Ferrothorn has higher Physical Def, and consider all four of them reliable mixed tanks, due to Ferrothorn running Rest over Leech Seed).
Ferrothorn, as my final option, single-handedly picks up where Tentacruel left off back in the hazarding department, as well as being able to reliably eat Electric attacks for the Water types. Leech Seed is not a breedable option to combine with both Spikes and Stealth Rock to force switches, but Rest works quite as well, eliminating Ferrothorn’s susceptibility to Burn as well as easily being refreshened by Celebi’s Heal Bell. It also helps Ferrothorn to beat other Ferrothorn 1v1. Not only that, it is a more reliable form of recovery over Leech Seed, especially considering Rugged Helmet will not be restoring 6% of my HP per turn (sitting back and watching my opponents 2HKO themselves is very satisfying). This Ferrothorn was good enough that he single-handedly was almost able to stall out Manaphy’s Uber team on PO…until he got crit.

Threats
Well, let’s see. Wallbreakers, of course, are a bane to stall. An opposing Hydreigon would have little trouble smashing through most of this team. If it is Scarfed (which it will most likely will be), my own Hydreigon won’t even be able to manage hit it with even U-turn.
Heatran and the rise of Fire types can be somewhat of a menace, but they shouldn’t be as big of an issue as Hydreigon is.
As for the Fighting type department, I would say I’m a little more durable against them than compared to most teams. If the likes of Conkledurr and Scrafty (who, mind you, usually run Guts and Shed Skin, respectively) are setting up too much, I have a fallback option with Dusknoir to contain them within one move.

I am on Pokémon Online: main server every day, almost all of the time.
youtube.com/PhilosophicalPsycho

Philosophy: When we are at the end of life, to die means to go away; when we are at the beginning, to go away means to die. –Victor Hugo

Life is a game. You play to win. And you play because there's nothing better to do.

I'm going to recommend a Trick Gengar or SubDisable Gengar over your Dusknoir. Gengar's added Ground immunity helps a lot at getting in safely and you can still either Trick a scarf/specs away or utilize the popular SubDisable set. Sub Protects you and then you Disable their most effective move against you, causing lots of switches. Gengar also has much better speed and can still use the awesome coverage that is Shadow Ball and Focus Blast.

Oh, hi Jaroda. I've seen you around before, hi :D
Gengar over Dusknoir...well, if I were to do that, I'd probably use:
Trick, WOW/HP Fire, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast
to stick with the integrity of the original set.

The things to consider is that Tentacruel is the only Ground-weak Pokemon on the team, and Hydreigon and Celebi both resist Ground themselves. Otherwise, running Gengar exposes a Psychic weakness (not that big a deal, but it's something).

So the question is: is it really worth giving up Dusknoir's bulk and Physical attacking capability in favour of Gengar's Speed and higher overall power? You said how those two Gengar sets are good in general, but not how exactly it would be better for the team.

You rely on passive damage and SubDisable is good at forcing switches. The typical Conkeldurr for example only carries one move that can hit Gengar. What you do is Sub first and they break your Sub with Payback or Stone Edge. Than you Disable, which has 100% accuracy, and they literally can't touch you, forcing a switch. This also works against a number of mon that only carry 1-2 attacking moves like Gliscor, Reuniclus, etc. Not to mention the rest of your team is quite slow and having a max speed 110 pokemon is very useful. Give it a shot.

Reuniclus and Sableye are big threats. Reuniclus doesn't mind poison and Crunch won't OHKO the standard Bold version. Sableye also has priority Taunt and WoW which gets annoying and your Cleric can't touch it with Psychic. I recommend switching Hydregion to a Specs set for far more power to help with the wallbreakers. Specs Fire Blast, Draco Meteor and Dark Pulse with U-Turn should be more useful.

I don't know if the team as current has any significant threats, but if no one says otherwise, then yes, I will definitely try this Gengar:
Substitute, Disable, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast

The lack of a Trick-absorber and WOW is definitely significant, however.

I don't know if I can afford Specs Hydreigon. The main cause of concern is that by dropping both Dusknoir and Physical Hydra, I am left with almost no Physical attackers. And I'm pretty sure a Screecher set is both more efficient at wallbreaking and also coolness points for originality.

I like the way you think though.

Hmm, two quick suggesstions.
Change Ferrothorn's rest to leech seed. Having an important part of your team asleep, can be your downfall. Leech seed can be used on a predicted switch. As well as switching SR or spikes with gyro ball and making thorn a sassy nature. Having a sassy nature will decrease your speed improving the power of gyro ball, as well as 0 speed IVs.

No need for heal bell on Celebi once rest is gone on thorn, and you have a chesto berry on cune atm so you'd wake up right away anyways. I suggest you put on energy ball to hit any ever-present water types (Hi Rotom-W and Burun!). U-turn is optional but can stay I suppose as a scout. Although, Sazan/Hydreigon is a better scout having access to Draco Meteor/Fire Blast/Surf/U-turn or hp fire. With a scarf, it can be a good revenge killer, but seeing as you are content with your present set, why interrupt your bliss.

Have fun!

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Venusaur roflstomps your team. It KOs everything on your team with a Growth using Sludge Bomb/HP Fire/Power Whip. It can easily growth up on your Nattorei since it lacks Gyro Ball/T-wave, and on your Tentacruel since it lacks Ice Beam.

Also Blaziken gives your team a really rough time. I'd recommend switching your Nattorei to T-wave so it's at least not set up bait. Sun in general seems to be a bitch to your team. You could maybe try Chesto Rest DD Gyara instead of Suicune.

I'm also not a fan of Choiced Sucker Punches just because your team is really fragile when it loses momentum. I guess the Dusknoir fits since the only other spinblocker I'd really suggest is Jellicent but I'm guessing it'd make your team even more redundantly water based. I really wish we had more spinblocker choices again... even if they weren't as good as Rotom forms were.

Taking both sides into consideration, I suppose it is plausible to run Thunder Wave over Rest for Ferrothorn (Leech Seed would have to be used over a hazard move). However, the problem with that is that Thunder Wave is such an offensive move compared to the convervative power of Rest. Plus, it is very redundant considering a Toxic Spikes lead. Finally, it is undeniable Thunder Wave is crippling to a sweeper, but it won't stop them from setting up. Ferrothorn also has the bulk to survive two turns asleep if I can't rely on Celebi. Another aspect of Rest is that it cures Burn, which should be a frequent Status if I intend to take Scalds and WOWs. He sets up his hazards very quickly, and after that, he's meant to just sit there and provide a solid transition between switches.

Dusknoir can run Earthquake over Focus Punch, but then it gets horribly stalled by Hydreigon (it is still possible to beat Ferrothorn with Trick and WOW). ...Now I feel less inclined to replace Dusknoir with Disable Gengar. Please keep in mind Gengar has no hope of effectively winning out against SP Blaziken, where in such a case, I would prefer to have Dusknoir's bulk.

Mixed Venusaur doesn't seem like that big a problem. Both Hydreigon and Dusknoir stop it cold. Venusaur cannot immediately threaten Suicune or Celebi. Tentacruel has the possibility of Magic Coating Sleep Powder. Although unable to beat Venusaur out 1v1, Ferrothorn will immediately strip off 34% if he steps in on a predicted Power Whip (assuming Life Orb). Blaziken? Maybe. I'm still not sure how it learns Speed Boost Baton Pass.

HERE IS WHAT I AM PROPOSING
Gyarados @ Chesto Berry
Rest, Dragon Dance, Waterfall, Dragon Tail

This is an inverse of the Suicune set. Main differences include Waterfall's Flinch stalling for T Spikes and Dragon Tail for inducing switches and stopping others from setting up on Gyarados. It sacrifices Special bulk for a little more Speed. However, it is not as threatening anymore towards Ferrothorn and Tyranitar. Also, Gyarados loses its Physical bulk once the intimidated Pokémon switches out. Gyarados also has to take a hard hit from a Dragon's Draco Meteor before Dragon Tailing it while Suicune can take it more comfortably and has Ice Beam to use instead.

Considering this team is titled "Offensive Stall," removing Screech from Hydreigon will hurt the integrity of the team. Screech forces the opponent to switch and proceed to take a strong hit from Hydreigon, or risk taking a VERY powerful hit.
I am considering replacing U-turn with Earthquake. U-turn is an irreplacable utility move, but Earthquake is necessary to destroy Heatran and Blaziken (although between Protect, Speed Boost, and Fighting STAB, I really don't see how Hydreigon can ever beat Blaziken).

No changes have been implemented as of yet.

If you're going to Toxic stall with a Gyarados use Bounce. Free turn of poison and a second STAB attack. Dragon Tail is generally a bad idea with Dragon Dance. Even better is a Skarmory with Freefall. Freefall makes it so the oppnent can't move either and does additional physical damage as well. It's like Protect but better. It's trollish really. I'd even consider it over Ferrothorn since it can still set up hazards and use Roost for isntant recovery with Freefall as your damage move.

Why not try Balloon on Tentacruel? It completely eliminates Hippowdon as a lead threat and gives you another useful ground immunity if you keep it until late game. I'm not sure if it's worth Leftovers, though...

Yeah... CB Brave Bird Staraptor does a Hasselhoff on your team... are you going to let Hasselhoff have his way with your team?!?

I've used Freefall Skarm. HERE, however, this has too much Electrical weakness. I'm still unsure about any changes here, EXCEPT:

That Balloon Tentacruel lead seems really interesting. Yes, Lefties are vital, but vital enough to pass up a Ground immunity? However, Balloons pop, of course, and it tells the opponent at the start of the match (unless the opponent is oblivious).

As for the Staraptor...I can't counter it directly, but I don't think it's significant enough to warrant a backup plan against it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)