Official MLB 2012 Season Thread

Blue Jays were looking pretty good until Bautista and Morrow got slammed with injuries!
I must have misread, but last I checked there were only three or four guys in the Jay's regular lineup who actually got on base at a clip above .300. You aren't gonna get that far with only four guys getting on base above 30%...

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
^Not to mention the Blue Jays trade their pitching talent away as soon as they show promise. I'm still waiting for Romero to be shipped off. It should be coming soon based off of the Carpenter-Halladay-Marcum schedule.

Also,
Here is how Yankee fans support their team:

Step 1) Show up in the 3rd inning
Step 2) Boo their all-star talent
Step 3) Leave after the 7th inning

These playoffs have been a joy to watch other than that Braves-Cardinals game

I must have misread, but last I checked there were only three or four guys in the Jay's regular lineup who actually got on base at a clip above .300. You aren't gonna get that far with only four guys getting on base above 30%...
The Athletics won their division over the Rangers with even less players that got on base that much, iirc (I honestly think that only Coco Crisp and Cespedes had a .300 OBP...). They were also able to take their division series to a game five against the team that's probably going to win the World Series.

EDIT: Meh, their most commonly used lineups generally included about 5 players with a .300 OBP, so a little better than the Blue Jays. Still quite awful though!

The Athletics won their division over the Rangers with even less players that got on base that much, iirc (I honestly think that only Coco Crisp and Cespedes had a .300 OBP...). They were also able to take their division series to a game five against the team that's probably going to win the World Series.

EDIT: Meh, their most commonly used lineups generally included about 5 players with a .300 OBP, so a little better than the Blue Jays. Still quite awful though!
Big difference. A's are what I call a "Three true outcome" offense. They lead the league in Ks, yes, but they also were among league leaders in drawing walks. Something the Jays weren't good at doing. A's also had a crap ton of Homers hit in the second half... Call that a wash with the Jays I guess...

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If you honestly think the AL East is among the worst divisions in baseball, I don't know what argument I could come up with that would convince you otherwise, especially with your reputation...

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Step 1) Show up in the 3rd inning
Step 2) Boo their all-star talent
Step 3) Leave after the 7th inning
Lol, Sounds about right

And yea, we need to start rebuilding our farm systemShould have traded A-Rod while he was still good <.<

To J-Man. Most of the Blue Jays offense had career low years, and halfway through the season they stopped fielding any sort of lineup. The walks are a legitimate concern, but it's not as exaggerated as you state. They are also not completely lost by any means, lol. If we're going to critique anything they've done, my biggest critique is the Houston trade they had this past summer, but they're generally still on the right track for building a solid core. The biggest thing is actually pitching development, because even without walking too much, a healthy Jays offense is still a good - great thing (look at their numbers pre-whole team dying, ie first half)

but Jrrrrr that comment about trading the pitching as soon as they show potential has absolutely no validity to it, as well as no context. Roy Halladay had the most WAR of any pitcher from 2002-2009, and was second to only Johan Santana of all pitchers with 1000 IP in that period. That's not as soon as he shows promise. The point also misses that Roy had an expiring contract, was not going to resign, so they traded him as soon as possible to maximize return value..

and Carpenter hadn't shown anything above mid rotation potential, truthfully, how can you even fault a team when a guy suddenly plays two times better returning from injury..

and for Marcum, it's not even about showing potential. He had already provided years at his maximum value, there's no more potential in that.. And ignoring that, he was traded to get Brett Lawrie.. that's pretty awesome.

essentially, stop linking things that are entirely different scenarios and trying to group them all together to get a storyline. You're missing the real reason that these players were let go.

(also Romero sucks why would anyone want him?)

If you honestly think the AL East is among the worst divisions in baseball, I don't know what argument I could come up with that would convince you otherwise, especially with your reputation...
O HAI DERE MR. STRAWMAN. FANCY MEETING YOU HERE.

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
a) all caps makes you look like an idiot
b) o hai dere makes you look like an idiot
c) not knowing what a strawman is makes you look like an idiot
d) you usually are an idiot

a) all caps makes you look like an idiot
b) o hai dere makes you look like an idiot
c) not knowing what a strawman is makes you look like an idiot
d) you usually are an idiot
e) insulting me while not even staying remotely on the topic of baseball after showing you did not fully comprehend what i just said about the AL East having the potential to fast becoming a cruddy division makes you look like an idiot

Usually when an entire thread thinks you're an idiot...you're an idiot.

P.S. the morons in this thread that think parity is terrible for a sport need to look at the current NFL season and how it's probably the most exciting NFL season for the past few decades and the NFL continues to break ratings records even though there's huge parity which is apparently terrible for a sport.

jesus christ.

And when everyone believes that jumping off the Empire State building without a parachute or any other means of breaking your fall will not result in death...That must mean it won't result in death.

I'm done here. I don't even understand why I'm responding to your insults (WHICH BY THE WAY, INSULTING PEOPLE IS NOT ALLOWED HERE).

And when everyone believes that jumping off the Empire State building without a parachute or any other means of breaking your fall will not result in death...That must mean it won't result in death.

I'm done here. I don't even understand why I'm responding to your insults (WHICH BY THE WAY, INSULTING PEOPLE IS NOT ALLOWED HERE).
You're comparing your baseball ideology to people jumping off the Empire State Building without a parachute.

Dude the AL East is one of the best divisions in baseball, definitely not the worst. The Blue Jays were doing fine before Bautista went down; how would any team do if they lost their star player for half a season? If I had to rank the divisions, I'd go:

NL East
AL West
AL East
NL Central
NL West
-
-
-
AL Central.

So, certainly not the strongest one in baseball anymore, but saying that the AL east is bad is silly.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
The Blue Jays were doing fine before Bautista went down; how would any team do if they lost their star player for half a season?
Well the Reds did have the best record in baseball over the duration of Joey Votto's time off... Or close to it, I'm not gonna double-check.

Pot and kettle arguing over who's more black... Oh, this topic. So amusing.

You're comparing your baseball ideology to people jumping off the Empire State Building without a parachute.

Thank you, thank you. I know, brilliant thinking isn't it? It's amazing that what the presupposed majority of people think is automatic fact, isn't it?

On the topic of the AL East. NOWHERE HAVE I DECLARED IT THE WORST DIVISION IN BASEBALL. I think it has the capacity to become the worst division. That doesn't mean I think it will. I think there's a chance. That doesn't mean I think it will last for a long period of time if it happens, either. I'm just thinking out loud. Yankees are getting old. Could it bite them in the butt? Absolutely. Is it gonna send them into a dark age? I doubt it. They always find a way to maintain a ridiculously deep lineup. But that doesn't mean they are impervious to making mistakes that will cost them, and if they don't do something about that aging lineup it could definitely screw them over. Look, the Red Sox suck. Are they going to go suck forever? Well, I don't think so. But they suck now. Maybe they pull it together next year. The Rays? I don't know. They'll have to pay David Price eventually. If anything remains a constant, the Rays will probably do there thing... All divisions in baseball have at least one or two good teams. The Jays? Again, I said they were lost. They keep building up hype every year and then disappoint. Perhaps they finally put it all together next year. Who knows? I'm not calling them good until I see them doing well. Baltimore is not going to maintain that ridiculous record in one run games, and unless management makes improvement in that team they will likely regress to a low to mid 80s win team. But who knows the future? I'm just speaking my mind on something I observed as a possibility. It's entirely possible that all five teams come back next year as world beaters. 'Tis the magic of Baseball. You don't know what you're going to get until it happens.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wish I caught more Tigers games this season, they're playing very well.

but Jrrrrr that comment about trading the pitching as soon as they show potential has absolutely no validity to it, as well as no context. Roy Halladay had the most WAR of any pitcher from 2002-2009,
I drastically underestimated how long Halladay was with Toronto. You're right, he's not relevant at all to the point I was trying to make.

And I don't care about WAR at all, it is at best a guideline and can't be used to decide anything accurately. Hell, the stat guys can't even agree on how to calculate it.

Carpenter and Marcum would have been excellent for Toronto if they kept them, those two out of three make sense at least.

Romero had a pretty good year last year although he regressed with the entire Toronto team this year. That's why I wanted to see him get traded to a team with a chance. idk I just like him OK?!?!

lol

I wish I caught more Tigers games this season, they're playing very well.
As much as I love it... Tigers are finally getting payback for all the bad luck they endured. Oakland gave us game two. Yankees are dropping like flies and none of their regulars can hit to save their lives... Heck, they've reduced themselves to using their bench to try and beat Verlander.

One run game loses aren't all entirely luck, it's a function of luck as well as bullpen management/bullpen skill - any bullpen that ran out Jose Valverde as the stop guy was screwed.

That said removing him from that position was excellent. Incredibly overrated reliever.

One run game loses aren't all entirely luck, it's a function of luck as well as bullpen management - any bullpen that ran out Jose Valverde as the stop guy was screwed.

That said removing him from that position was excellent. Incredibly overrated reliever.
Put words in my mouth why dontja. There were injuries that also cost the Tigers wins as well. Not having Doug Fister healthy for the whole season made life difficult. Contributors from last year regressed beyond what was expected of them to regress.

"Tigers having a worse record this year is the result of their unbelievably terribad record in one run games. Our "underachieving" had more to do with luck more than everything. Had we won half our one runs games, the division pennant wouldn't had been close at all." - J-man

"Justin Verlander wasn't at his best Tuesday night, but was good enough to put Detroit on the verge of an ALCS sweep of the Yankees."

yeah 3 hits in 8.1 innings what a fucking pushover

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)