Official MLB 2012 Season Thread

There have been so many ridiculous one-sided trades so far

Hanley Ramirez for who?!?!?
Wandy Rodriguez for who?!?!?
Ichiro Suzuki for who?!?!?
Omar Infante and Anibal Sanchez for who?!?!?

Funny thing is all of these trades involved a playoff team getting the good player(s) and the shit teams getting crappy "prospects"

Funny thing is all of these trades involved a playoff team getting the good player(s) and the shit teams getting crappy "prospects"
That's how trades always work. Playoff teams are always "buyers" and crappy teams are always "sellers".

The crappy teams realize they suck and so hope to reload with prospects and save money by getting out from under the contracts of their star players.

That's how trades always work. Playoff teams are always "buyers" and crappy teams are always "sellers".

The crappy teams realize they suck and so hope to reload with prospects and save money by getting out from under the contracts of their star players.
Yeah, but none of the teams are even getting good prospects, and a lot of these are involving especially good players. Hanley Ramirez has insane potential, he's just been underperforming the past two seasons.

Yeah, I don't follow close enough to know anything about other team's prospects. Must be some weird behind the scenes stuff causing this to be a buyers market.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ichiro is 38 years old and well past his prime.

Hanley Ramirez has peaked already too, at a position that isn't hard to come by AND favors youth.

Wandy Rodriguez, in his 30s and has never had two good seasons back to back.

I get what you're saying, there are some big names flying around but it's pretty easy to see why teams are willing to sell them off.

....and all the while, the red sox are doing nothing but crossing their fingers and hoping they can sneak into the second wild card while their roster slowly comes off the DL (just like i predicted in this thread :D)

I have a really strange tendency to pick up really young pitchers in fantasy that slide into a rotation and start dominating.

I'm currently in possession of Michael Fiers, Jose Quintana, and now A.J. Griffin who right now has 9 Ks and only 3 hits through six innings against the Blue Jays. It's marvelous.

Jacob Turner is the best prospect to have moved so far (was the #1 Tigers prospect but is having a down year).

The reason why C Tier and B Tier prospects are moving instead of A Tier prospects are two main things. Almost every management staff has a good idea of the value of a prospect, and teams no longer get a compensation pick for a player who walks if that player isn't on their roster by day one of the season.

edit - one thing I forgot is quality of prospect also depends on how much of the remaining salary each team agrees to pay.

two nights in a row the Reds come back and slaughter cordero for comeback wins. 7 game winning streak bitchezz

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
Hanley Ramirez has peaked already too, at a position that isn't hard to come by AND favors youth.
i, for one, was unaware Hanley was a 35 year old first baseman and not a 28 year old who, just 2 years ago, was coming off of consecutive 7 WAR seasons at SS, the thinnest position in the majors.

even with his shift to 3B, another very thin position (especially in the NL), if Hanley can even recapture half of his former value, he's a valuable player. the Marlins did good to trade him, as they got a legitimate prospect back but i can't blame the Dodgers for rolling the dice. they have tons money to pay his salary and at worst, they lost a 4/5 starter.

....and all the while, the red sox are doing nothing but crossing their fingers and hoping they can sneak into the second wild card while their roster slowly comes off the DL (just like i predicted in this thread :D)
No complaints from me. We've got some pretty good guys in the minors, and to be having such a shitty season and still be just 1 game below .500; 4.5 out of the Wild Card... I guess this season isn't so bad after all! At least, we're not so bad that we want to get rid of our big contracts (well, except maybe Lackey and Daisuke), but not so good that we can afford to trade our prospects. Maybe some people like to see management ship players around to try to get that small advantage, but it doesn't bother me all that much this year.

Personally, I was kind of bummed that they traded Youklis. I really like Youklis, even if he was having a down season. And what did we get for him? A pitcher who is still in the minors, and a guy so awful that we already traded him (for another minor league pitcher). If those are the kind of trades the Red Sox are going to make, then I'd rather they not.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
LAA Rotation

Weaver
Wilson
Greinkie
Haren
Santana/Richards(Depending on who keeps a spot, looking like Richards deserves it, but who knows)

Well, I guess its set, LAA will be in October no questions ask, now its every other team fighting for that last spot.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Fucking fuck. Goodbye division. You think that Jon Daniels would make a move seeing as we had 1000 times more to offer the Brewers then the Angels? Pretty annoyed right now.

Edit: even our lesser prospects then Olt are better then what the Angels gave up. JD must not have liked what he saw, which means there MUST be another deal in the works, or so I'm hoping. He's usually a ninja like that!

Fucking fuck. Goodbye division. You think that Jon Daniels would make a move seeing as we had 1000 times more to offer the Brewers then the Angels? Pretty annoyed right now.

Edit: even our lesser prospects then Olt are better then what the Angels gave up. JD must not have liked what he saw, which means there MUST be another deal in the works, or so I'm hoping. He's usually a ninja like that!
Division isn't absolutely lost. You guys have a bit of a lead and Greinke's highest value for half of a season (less even) is like 2 and a half wins.

But man I would be worried for the playoffs with the pitching depth :S shame to see that happen.

Edit -

even our lesser prospects then Olt are better then what the Angels gave up.
nah, disagree here. Most of the lists had Segura decently high up (best non-Trout prospect in the Angels), and Hellweg (ala KLaw) is a guy with "top-of-the-rotation stuff with bottom-of-the-rotation command. He seemed to have turned a corner in the second half of last year after returning to the rotation but was very wild again for the first 2 1/2 months of this year."

this is a pretty good load for the Brewers, and I'm not sure if an Olt for Greinke trade would have given them more value (Olt's being talked up a lot, but his value isn't AS high as the media makes it seem)

LAA Rotation

Weaver
Wilson
Greinkie
Haren
Santana/Richards(Depending on who keeps a spot, looking like Richards deserves it, but who knows)

Well, I guess its set, LAA will be in October no questions ask, now its every other team fighting for that last spot.
that rotation

is ridiculous

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Profar is ranked 4th (wouldn't give him up for anything short of a King Felix/Kershaw pitcher), Perez 22nd and Olt 32nd. Jean Segura, the best piece that the Angels gave up, is ranked 38th (MLB.com prospect rankings). I'm pretty sure we have other pieces floating around ranked lower who offer more then "bottom of the rotation command"! It was a pretty good deal for the Angels assuming he resigns, I just can't help but think we would have been a better fit.

Edit: They gave up their number 7 and number 14 prospects. Of their personal rankings. The Angels have amongst the worst farms in the MLB so to be that low ranked is a testament to how little the Angels gave up for a TORP.

MLB.com prospect rankings are pretty bad :S (John Sickels has them ranked similarly to KLaw, something I'd trust more than that)

the quality of the deal shouldn't be judged based on if he resigns or not, as it's independent of the trade.

just don't undervalue what the Angels gave up. They gave up more than the Rangers would've, as the packaged multiple second tier prospects (Profar is the only "first tier" prospect the Rangers have). This is something the Rangers would've been unwilling to match. Remember, this is only for HALF a season of Greinke, less even. The value for that isn't as much as people make it out to seem. If anything, the Angels are greatly undervaluing their prospects.

MLB.com prospect rankings are pretty bad :S (John Sickels has them ranked similarly to KLaw, something I'd trust more than that)

the quality of the deal shouldn't be judged based on if he resigns or not, as it's independent of the trade.

just don't undervalue what the Angels gave up. They gave up more than the Rangers would've, as the packaged multiple second tier prospects (Profar is the only "first tier" prospect the Rangers have). This is something the Rangers would've been unwilling to match. Remember, this is only for HALF a season of Greinke, less even. The value for that isn't as much as people make it out to seem.
Which, at the same time, is probably enough to get the Angels over the "hump" (if there was one...), and I don't see any team stopping them on the way to the World Series tbh.

And I'm not biased...the Rangers are my favorite AL team.

Stallion

Tree Young

just don't undervalue what the Angels gave up. They gave up more than the Rangers would've, as the packaged multiple second tier prospects (Profar is the only "first tier" prospect the Rangers have). This is something the Rangers would've been unwilling to match. Remember, this is only for HALF a season of Greinke, less even. The value for that isn't as much as people make it out to seem.
If I go off Sickels' list, Profar is the #1 prospect in baseball, Olt is 38th and Jean Segura is 78th. If we're to go off this list rather then MLB.com's, the Angels aren't even giving up a second tier prospect for a TORP. The more I read, the more I think that this a robbery. At least Greinke going for sweet fuck all should entice the Marlins to ask for less in return for Johnson I'm hoping.

Edit: half a season for a legit shot at a WS ring (like the Smoak + prospects for Cliff Lee trade we pulled) is worth it imo, and that's assuming he doesn't resign.

Which, at the same time, is probably enough to get the Angels over the "hump" (if there was one...), and I don't see any team stopping them on the way to the World Series tbh.

And I'm not biased...the Rangers are my favorite AL team.
It improves their odds in a playoff series, for sure, but they're still far back enough in comparison to the Rangers that theres still a very distinct possibility they have to play the play in game. Consider the amount of randomness that can occur in the playoffs (Giants/Cardinals winning in back to back years) and it's obvious that there's no guarentee (especially with an extra game of luck)!

The Angels still have weaknesses (if anything, their lineup depth is incredibly subpar) so it's far too early to crack open the champagne yet.

edit - was using an old version of Sickels list, my bad on (some) rankings! It's unfair to think of it as a robbery because its bad management. There's a huge amount of risk associated with making a trade like this for an "all or nothing gamble" (of an already depleted farm system). The Rangers were able to do this with the huge depth they have in their system, something that the Angels don't have.

And I just don't see sweet fuck all :S really, you are overvaluing guys who don't even get draft pick compensation.

It just doesn't improve their odds as much as you guys are claiming!

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
nah, disagree here. Most of the lists had Segura decently high up (best non-Trout prospect in the Angels), and Hellweg (ala KLaw) is a guy with "top-of-the-rotation stuff with bottom-of-the-rotation command. He seemed to have turned a corner in the second half of last year after returning to the rotation but was very wild again for the first 2 1/2 months of this year."

this is a pretty good load for the Brewers, and I'm not sure if an Olt for Greinke trade would have given them more value (Olt's being talked up a lot, but his value isn't AS high as the media makes it seem)
the difference is that Olt is a far safer bet than anyone that the Brewers got from the Angels. just because Segura was rated highly doesn't make him great; the Angels farm is pretty poor, so of course he was gonna be rated high.

Olt plays at 3B, a very, very thin position and plays it well. he's got 20+ HR power and a decent approach. that's a very, very valuable player, considering he's not a work in progress and he is ready for the majors (only reason he's not up is because he's blocked).

Stallion

Tree Young
All I know is that Zack Greinke will be taking the mound over the WAR black hole that is Ervin Santana come playoff time. That one potential additional win - maybe two depending on the length of the series - per playoff series cannot be underestimated IMO.

Edit: aamto's post pretty much said what I was thinking far better then I could!

the difference is that Olt is a far safer bet than anyone that the Brewers got from the Angels. just because Segura was rated highly doesn't make him great; the Angels farm is pretty poor, so of course he was gonna be rated high.

Olt plays at 3B, a very, very thin position and plays it well. he's got 20+ HR power and a decent approach. that's a very, very valuable player, considering he's not a work in progress and he is ready for the majors (only reason he's not up is because he's blocked).
I get that, but you have to consider Segura was (before dropping his stock a little) rated highly overall (showing up in the #40s in the start of the year).

Yeah, that's why I mentioned being unsure if Olt would give more value to the Brewers. You never know. (Though, with our current knowledge Olt wouldn't have been traded anyways)

edit - Matt Klaassen's summary does a pretty good job of the non prospect side of this

Of course, the Phillies never made the World series with Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, and Cole Hamels all in the rotation, so, yes, we have to remember that the playoffs are a very much a game of chance. If one thinks about that at length, one might wonder whether this trade is really worth it for the Angels if they are going to go to the playoffs anyway. However, they are not in yet and injuries (especially to pitchers) are always lurking. And finally, once again: the Angels did not exactly hide their desire to win big and win now during their off-season spending spree. In for a dime, in for a dollar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)