1. The moderators of this forum are shade and WaterBomb.
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Official NBA 16-17' Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by trikx_insane, Jul 1, 2016.

1. DerrickRose

DerrickRose

lakers rigging the lottery like always
    tahu likes this.
  2. magicin

magicin

shocks me that people think LeBron actually plays with superstars.

Kyrie and Love the two """superstars""" everyone keeps referring to, are benched in the 4th consistently now.
    They both suck on defense, which is a requirement for being a superstar. Love isn't that great on offense either.
    Kyrie is passable on offense, passable, he'll clutch some shots.

but lets b real here. LeBron is the Cavs. LeBron single-handedly carries the cavs to every win.

--
    Lebron (not the cavs, tbh) is going to win the finals this year. The Warriors are far worse than they were last year with Chokeboy Kevin Ant. Draymond too busy feeling up guys 2 actually play as well. What a joke. Eastern Conference > West Conference too. The fact that people think the fucking rockets are decent is a joke upon basketball itself.
  3. JBC

JBC

Reminds me of Paul George: pretty good but not a superstar, and people think he is.
  4. Phadunk

Phadunk

Idk, I feel the Warriors are going to destroy the Cavs.
    Stallion likes this.
  5. Kanburi

Kanburi

LeBron will go into the Finals in a better mental state (i.e. I'm destroying everything between me and the title) and he'll infect his teammates with it. I just don't think the Warriors will have the same kind of mindset, especially after what happened last year. They blew a 3-1 lead in the Finals with HCA, and went out there to sign the first option of the other team that blew a 3-1 lead in the playoffs last year. Not to mention their guys are known to disappear in the Finals. They won't be ready for LeBron.
  6. Phadunk

Phadunk

I really really hope you're right. I don't mind dominant teams, I don't hate teams for that.. but the Warriors just irk the fuck out of me. I want Lebron to keep winning as long as he can.

I just see Warriors being lights out whenever they want, or whenever they can chain 2 shots together in a row.. and Durant can be one hell of a force. Maybe I'm underestimating the role players of the Cavaliers, but they just don't seem influential enough.
  7. Kanburi

Kanburi

I don't have a horse in the race and couldn't care less who wins, and I can see the Warriors making runs here and there, but I don't know how they can stop LeBron at all. I just don't think the Warriors can rain down on the Cavs four games out of seven (we've seen Curry and Klay disappear in different games, and they need them both on the money to win, even with KD). LeBron is definitely taking the assignment of guarding Durant, and you know he's gonna be a pain in the ass to him all series long, while Draymond and Iguodala will take their turns at the King. If I'm Mike Brown (thank god I'm not), I would consider using Durant as a decoy, running him through screens and stuff to tire LeBron out on the defensive end, and Draymond HAS to stay out of foul trouble. The Cavs have yet to be tested in the playoffs, I think they have another gear they can kick into.

EDIT: The Warriors might also need Zaza back to close out on shooters.
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
  8. kamranlaker

kamranlaker

just like when they dropped in the 2014 lottery
  9. DerrickRose

DerrickRose

SMOKESCREEN OBV :[
  10. Kanburi

Kanburi

Thoughts on the All-NBA teams?

First team: Russell Westbrook, James Harden, Kawhi Leonard, LeBron James, Anthony Davis
    Second team: Stephen Curry, Isaiah Thomas, Kevin Durant, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Rudy Gobert
    Third team: John Wall, DeMar DeRozan, Jimmy Butler, Draymond Green, DeAndre Jordan

Personally, I'm glad Draymond made it (I didn't think he would given Hayward's and PG's seasons, and that Curry and KD are locks). Gobert was 4 points short of tying Davis for the top center spot, too. Sucks for PG that he couldn't secure the DPVE, but it works out for the Lakers (assuming he cares about the extra cash the Pacers could've offered him).
    JBC likes this.
  11. Randombobman

Randombobman

Why the fuck is Gobert above Jordan? Eh it doesn't really matter either way but Gobert is much overrated imo. Wardell made a fool out of him in the last series
  12. JBC

JBC

The teams don't look too bad...Green is something special defensively, and while Hayward is good, he is by no mean as valuable on offense in the same way Green is on defense. I agree with you that that's a good choice.
  13. TrulyDevious

TrulyDevious

I think KAT/Jokic would've been worthier of a 3rd team that DJ.
  14. franky

franky aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

nah DJ deserves that spot
  15. Tokyo Tom

Tokyo Tom Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Gobert anchored a top 3 defense, had a higher PER, was in the top 10 in the league for both offensive and defensive win shares (led the league in defensive win shares, higher than DJ in both), and had a top-3 DRTG (DJ was 10th). I also think he does a lot more on the offensive end, whether it be helping Utah's great ball movement or actually hitting free throws at a respectable rate. Maybe DJ was better last season but after this season I would take Rudy every time. I honestly think he should've been 1st team over Davis for the same reason that DJ was 1st team over Cousins last year.

Also I know a lot of people complain about KAT, Boogie, Jokic, or even Whiteside being snubbed, but I think the biggest snub at C was Marc Gasol. Like, this guy dragged a half-injured team that played a 40-year-old Vince Carter 25 minutes per game to the playoffs, while missing their max contract offseason acquisition (like ok, it's only Chandler Parsons, but just look at how thin the Grizzlies' roster is). Gasol was even a borderline MVP candidate early in the season when Conley was out. While he doesn't score as much as KAT or Boogie, he's easily the best defender of the bunch, and amazing passer, and even the best 3pt shooter.

Shoutouts Dame for averaging 27/5/6 on a playoff team and not making either the ASG or All-NBA. Just a testament to how stacked the guard position is I suppose, Conley, Beal, CP3, Dragic, Kemba, CJ, Lowry, Kyrie, and Klay (probably forgetting some people as well) would've made it into the All-NBA team had it been any other year.
  16. JBC

JBC

I completely forgot about Marc Gasol...he sure is good. I agree with you about the guards, this year truly was the year of the guards.
  17. DerrickRose

DerrickRose

i mean it's curry though but statistically, jordan had a pretty average year (to his standards) compared to gobert. esp in today's league of pace and space.
  18. kamranlaker

kamranlaker

PG didnt even hide how much he wanted to go to LA on Kimmel. Also the Pacers rejected 4 1st rounders for PG from Atlanta lol.
  19. JBC

JBC

You've got to be kidding me...now I wait for the Pacers to scam the Lakers just so they can have PG13 one year early...which means they'd give up key pieces, so then they'd suck, so the 76ers get a higher pick. Go Pacers front office!
  20. Plus

Plus deadass
    is a Tutoris a Global Moderatoris a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Professor of B101

i remember when melo forced a trade to ny and gutted the team for more $$$ instead of just walking in FA

good times
  21. TheLastAce

TheLastAce

"They're not the monstars"...bruh

41 point halftime lead, arrests need to happen.
    TheValkyries likes this.
  22. Bruxa Baratuxa

Bruxa Baratuxa

23. Phadunk

Phadunk

Heh.. oh.
  24. Plus

Plus deadass
    is a Tutoris a Global Moderatoris a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Professor of B101

25. TheLastAce

TheLastAce

[​IMG]

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)