Official NBA 2012-13 Season Thread

Might have something to do with Nash being old and slow
I don't really think it was Nash's fault... It's only been two games.

In other news, civil rights leaders in Minnesota are pissed because the Timberwolves are apparently "too white".

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201210/are-minnesota-timberwolves-too-white

...fucking idiots.
Would just like to say as a minority I dont have any problem with Minnesota's team being predominantly white. Most of them aren't even Americans. People just like to whine about whatever they can.
After re-watching the game, I liked what I saw of the first and some of the second quarters. Considering that they've only played one full preseason game together and coming off of some bad injuries (all three), I'm not all too disappointed with the Lakers last night. Mike Brown has little room for error, but he wasn't that bad last year. I'm hoping that Steve Nash's knowledge as a point guard is more than enough to make up for Mike Brown's incompetence at offense.

"Eddy Curry dominated us in the paint" - Mike Brown, 2012.
Yeah, it's not like they were atrocious. They've still got things to work out. Of course I'm hoping they win tonight, but I'm not sure they will.

The Heat have a player who has a really easy time in the paint (LeBron) and a team filled with people that are great at outside shooting (except for Wade and LeBron).

Defending them is not going to be easy. The Bulls might be able to guard LeBron better than anyone with Taj Gibson and Noah but without Rose they dont have a chance at beating them in a seven game series. I think the Lakers are the only team with the offensive potential to outscore the Heat and beat them in a seven game series, the Spurs and the Clippers have a good shot too. Unsure about OKC post-Harden.

Really looking forward to seeing what comes from Houston tonight.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Lin to Harden actually looks gorgeous - think they're gonna be my second favourite team equal with the Warriors. Remains to be seen how they'll do against a team that's actually good, but they are goddamn fun to watch.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Harden has 19 points, 5 assists, 3 rebounds, and 1 block at half-time. If I were OKC I'd really regret trading him right now.

He makes Houston a lot better.

Summary of tonight so far: Anthony Davis is really good, Harden and Lin are fun to watch, Andre Iguodala is having a bad night.

EDIT: A good article IMO on the differences between Harden and Martin.
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...mes-harden-kevin-martin-shot-chart-comparison
Good comparison, and that's not even taking into account the staggering difference on the defensive end.

EDIT: Good god Demar DeRozan is bad. He should be the 5th option at best. Loving the end to Raps/Pacers.

I am absolutely shocked that the O.J. Mayo Vince Carter chuckfest is blanking out.

ughhhhhh get Vince Carter off of this team already!!!

Good comparison, and that's not even taking into account the staggering difference on the defensive end.

EDIT: Good god Demar DeRozan is bad. He should be the 5th option at best. Loving the end to Raps/Pacers.
I've never seen someone so set on continual isolation into three on one defense and just chucking it up desperately hoping for a foul..

Just when I thought we were in control of this thing... Sigh. Dont want to overreact but Jamison looks terrible. We should go after Delonte West, bipolar issues or not.

It's been two games. Seriously people are overreacting. Anyone else remember beginning of the Heat's first season together when they were 9-8?

Anyway, Dwight played pretty well, Kobe was decent despite his foot, and things started falling apart after we lost Nash at the beginning of the third. Offensively the Lakers were great but defensively they were pretty bad. Too many turnovers and that's how Portland outscored them. Not looking forward to seeing them play the Clippers either, because they are stacked and have developed chemistry already.

I hate the Clippers so it's going to be even worse for me to see the Lakers lose to them. And I don't hate them because of the team itself (although Griffin is an annoying showboat) but because Donald Sterling is a disgusting racist.

Just because the Heat gelled does not mean this team will. That is a stupidly obvoiusly fallacious thing to presume true, it is a totally fair point to bring up but people keep acting like it PROVES that the situation will be fine here. It might or might not be true in this case. Lebron and Wade were never going to sort out their issues playing together for a while...both were very very sure they were truly the #1 and it was very rough going at first, not because the team construction was not there but because neither was ceding a thing. They finally got better at winning without ceding enough but it was the core issue. The core issue here so far seem to be that Nash and Bryant both need the ball too much, and I am not sure that one is as fixable. It seems like they desperately needed a defensive PG not an offensive one. Maybe this will all look better if Bryant is able to play at max intensity, but he just keeps accumulating injuries by the year. The Heat worked with two alpha dogs because of the defense. The Celtics worked and continued working with three alpha dogs because of defense. My entire presumption for the Lakers being dominant was that they were going to allow about 78 ppg their first 3 games and show the league who the fuck was boss, and clearly they have no defensive game plan so far.

The Heat gave up: 88, 80 points in their first two games (Celtics, Sixers, both playoff teams)
The Lakers gave up: 99, 116 points in their first two games (Mavericks, Blazers, TBD)

Are you really sure this situation is comparable right now? I sure as shit am not convinced. I thought Dwight and Gasol and Bryant would be enough to naturally make up for the complete lack of defense Nash would provide and that this offense would be extremely free flowing, but since Nash and Bryant have been redundant on offense he has been a double negative.

I'm not saying it will work out but I can be hopeful, right? Not all of us are cynics Capt. Kirby. Weren't you the guy who pegged the Sixers to make it to the finals? Nash hasn't even been great at offense. There is no redundancy, he hasn't been a presence at all. The dude gets hurt and gets taken out. And I know you hate Kobe, but he wasn't bad this game on the defensive end either, until late in the fourth quarter.

I really dont get how people think this is the end of the world or something.

Btw, after the Clipper game I'm betting the Lakers win four straight. They might lose the following game to the Spurs, but I think they can take the next four after that too.

Using my take on the facts to shoot down your fallacious assertion that one thing is the exact same as another thing is definitely cynical because you say so. Sure, coloring something pejoratively as making me negative and thus bad definitely makes you correct. An overreaction is dependent on factors. Whining about a team not looking like it is headed to 55-27 is one thing since the playoffs is largely everything. Deriding a team for losing AND trailing basically all game both times to the Dirkless rebooted on the fly Mavericks and rebooted on the fly middle of last season Blazers (do you recall them ejecting talented players? I recall them ejecting talented players). Defense wins championships in the NBA, besides the Bulls no team has won their first title in the 1990s or 2000s or 2010s with an offense better than their defense, especially not the Heat. Nobody is overreacting, you saying they are does not make it so.

The Mavs got lucky and you know that. Hell, their margin of loss to the Jazz shows that. They played defense YESTERDAY, but were lacking on offense. And tonight's game they showed up offensively but not defensively. I wasnt expecting a win tonight, like I posted here yesterday.

"You saying something doesnt make it so." Have you took a look in the mirror lately dude? You are the king of "EVERYTHING I SAY IS RIGHT AND I AM NEVER WRONG". And exactly how many times have you been right, I forgot the Spurs faced the Sixers last finals right?

They've got a 3-time DPOY, a great defensive coach, players capable of playing defense, and I don't how much I can stress this, but it's only been two games, three that they've played together in total. I think they'll be okay. You don't. Nothing you've said changes that. So what?

Everybody has said prior to this season, even the pre-season, that they will have growing pains, as they're having.

And yeah, people are overreacting. The sky is always falling on the internet.

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Lob City: takeoff successful! But goodness Jordan...take care of the ball! I love that your offense repertoire got better, but your eagerness turned into a bunch of turnovers! And damn...Griffin with 11 points (and always great to see dunks from you buddy!), Paul with 12 points/12 assists, and Crawford with 29 points? Odom with 5 blocks? Six players in double figures? All this minus Grant, Barnes, and Billups?

My goodness, this team is stacked...

Ready for Battle LA! Who wins it? Well, I'm cheering for LA to win!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)