Official NBA 2012-13 Season Thread

Lakers fan logic:

0-3: We just need some time to gel give us until like December before you hate.
1-3: HAHAHAH BEST TEAM EVER YOU SEE THAT BLOWOUT OF THE PISTONS? YEAH WE DID THAT HHAHAHAHA KOBE 6 RINGS TIME!!13141
Who're you talking to? There isn't a single Lakers fan I know that has said anything like this.

Jason Kidd is making a bigger difference than we think.
I haven't seen the Knicks play this season. How're they looking so far?

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
They beat the Heat by 20 and are undefeated. Melo's looked really good, and is actually putting in some effort to get boards and play D, which he sometimes wouldn't do in years past.

I think that should sum up how the Knicks are doing.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
The Knicks look stellar so far. Their ball movement on offense has been sensational, and that's thanks in large part to getting Jason Kidd and Raymond Felton back. The defense has been up to Mike Woodson standard. I'm hoping this is more than just a trend. It would be great to see the Knicks be relevant late in the playoffs. One thing is for sure, this isn't your prototypical D'Antoni Knicks team. Remember the Knicks did have one of the best records in the league following Woodson taking over the reigns. If not for all of the injuries and a first round pairing with the Heat, I think they would have been able to do more.

They beat the Heat by 20 and are undefeated. Melo's looked really good, and is actually putting in some effort to get boards and play D, which he sometimes wouldn't do in years past.

I think that should sum up how the Knicks are doing.
Melo putting effort into defense? Now THAT's something I wanna see for myself.

Really hoping Kyrie Irving doesn't go through a sophomore slump this season or anything. 13 points so far against the Clippers and it's only been ten minutes.

almost no one believed in the Kaman move and generally not the Collison move (to be fair I believed in only the latter predicting a 15/8 without Nowitzki)

Who're you talking to? There isn't a single Lakers fan I know that has said anything like this.
Neither have I, but then again I don't see Laker fans constantly on other team's sacks

When was the last time you saw a Lakers fan talk shit about the Bucks or the Knicks or the Mavs for winning games

I mean, good for them

ANYWAY

NY is looking pretty good right now, it's blasphemy maybe but I wouldnt mind seeing them win this year. Hope they can keep the chemistry going and dont let their age wear them down. They're playing the best defense of any team out there right now. Granted, it's only been three games but they've looked really good for three games and even though Jeremy Lin has done okay in Houston Raymond Felton has been great. They've been beating their opponents in double figures and Melo has been playing good defense. Let's just hope Amare doesn't ruin this.

Prediction: When Lebron's contract expires he's going back to Cleveland. Yeah, LA will have the money for him and another top player, but Lebron is sentimental guy and Cleveland isn't that bad with Kyrie and Dion Waiters. Dwayne Wade is good but still clearly not what he used to be, and I don't expect him to get any better. Same goes for Allen.

Spurs & Knicks the top teams in the NBA, who would have thought.

Does anyone know much about ACL recovery? The Bulls aren't my team but Derrick Rose is one of my favorite players and I was watching Youtube highlights thinking how much it would suck if he can't be that explosive anymore. Dude was amazing.

Weird how teams people thought were going to have it easy are off to rough start (LAL, BOS, DEN, BKN, MIA, IND) and some teams are doing much better than expected (HOU, NYK, MIL, DAL)

Everyone recovers from ACL tears differently. Guys like Baron Davis and Kyle Lowry have torn their ACLs and came back as explosive as ever but others had their careers ended by it like Michael Redd and Krstic.

Neither have I, but then again I don't see Laker fans constantly on other team's sacks

When was the last time you saw a Lakers fan talk shit about the Bucks or the Knicks or the Mavs for winning games

I mean, good for them
I'm enjoying watching byrne giving kirby blowjob after blowjob. Dude, get your own fucking opinions. smh

I was going to make a giant wall of text like you guys have been, but then I realized I had better things to do than try and argue/convince people that their opinion is wrong. Just remember that, they're opinions, not facts. Until the season is over and the Lakers don't win the championship, I'll just keep on taking my team (16 championships, one of the best franchises in sports history) over whoever the hell it is you root for. OKC? lol yea since Clay Bennet piece of shit was allowed to steal the franchise from Seattle. Mavs? Even bigger lol. wasting dirk's prime trying to land that 'complimentary perfect all star' oh wait, Cuban already proved he's a fucking dumbass who cares more about the open market than actually keeping good talent when he had it (Nash). So yeah, rebuke my reply, but no that I don't give a fuck and you and your entire family can eat rat feces and burn in hell for all I care.

(LAL, BOS, DEN, BKN, MIA, IND)
Yeah, Miami's definitely having a rough start with their 3-1 and only loss coming on the road to the hottest team in the NBA when that team had a SHITLOAD of emotional firepower. What a wonderfully justifiable statement.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Yeah, Miami's definitely having a rough start with their 3-1 and only loss coming on the road to the hottest team in the NBA when that team had a SHITLOAD of emotional firepower. What a wonderfully justifiable statement.
and squeaking out a win at denver with gallinari going 3/17, this coming from the team that most people were viewing as untouchable coming into this season. I think it's fair to say that expectations were higher than their results thus far. Getting worked by an Amare and Shumpert-less Knicks and then barely winning against a cold Nuggets team is not particularly impressive. I would definitely call that a rough start from the team that is essentially the unanimous championship favorite.

and squeaking out a win at denver with gallinari going 3/17, this coming from the team that most people were viewing as untouchable coming into this season. I think it's fair to say that expectations were higher than their results thus far. Getting worked by an Amare and Shumpert-less Knicks and then barely winning against a cold Nuggets team is not particularly impressive. I would definitely call that a rough start from the team that is essentially the unanimous championship favorite.
You mean squeaking out a win against a team that many predicted would be a top 5 team? Oh no, the Heat are so bad.

And we got worked by a Knicks team that's playing out of their assholes and again, they were playing with a ridiculous amount of emotional adrenaline. No one was about to go in there and deny the city of New York on that night. No one.

Anyone that thinks the Heat are having a disappointing season so far are retarded.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Very surprised at the way the '96 All-Star team Knicks are playing, in a good way. Although I think we should all temper expectations a bit. Byrne is right, they were flowing on an impossible adrenaline high vs. Miami and they've beaten a pretty weak 76ers team on a home/home. Until they can rattle off some wins against good teams without the emotional infusion that was the first game, I think everyone should chill with the "KNICKS ARE SO GREAT FUCK AMARE LOL"

Everyone recovers from ACL tears differently. Guys like Baron Davis and Kyle Lowry have torn their ACLs and came back as explosive as ever but others had their careers ended by it like Michael Redd and Krstic.
Thank you for the answer.

I think you're taking my statement out of context. (Surprise, surprise.)

I thought (as I'm sure many other people did) that the Heat would be playing dominant basketball, which they are for the most part except they've shown piss-poor defense for a team of their caliber, routinely letting teams score over a 100. Nobody said they sucked, just that they weren't meeting expectations.

Actually an ACL tear rarely ends a career(i can't think of anyone). You can actually play football even with a torn ACL... It seems like a huge injury but its really not, the thing it just takes a long time to come back from. The problems start if it happens again, which is what got Michael Redd. And by the way, a repaired ACL has the same chances of being re-torn as a "normal" ACL so really its not a big deal. This is of course all assuming they go through the rehabilaton process and don't rush anything. So it all comes down to luck and hope he doesn't re-tear. Only thing to fear after its all said and done. I doubt he will be his old self when he does return. That takes time(not for Adrien Peterson for some reason).

You're right, with today's advancements in medicine players can almost always come back as good or even better. I think the problem is the psychological effects of the rehab. No one knows when Derrick Rose is going to return because he's still scared of cutting. Krstic was a rising star before his injury. He never needed athleticism in his game but was still never able to get back to where he was because he lost his confidence.

I had been avoiding getting into the Knicks thing because fuck 'em but for everyone who is going OM GTHE KNICKS ARE FURREAL!11 uh dude did you guys really not pay attention to last season? I have been avoiding discussing it because I hate Carmelo Anthony and seeing him succeed is going to be the biggest buzzkill for me personally. Besides the playoffs Woodson is up to 21-6, and even if you figure he is due for a course correction it looks like he should be a 60% win level coach, and he did finish turning around what had been to that point a bad squad. A lot of people were just ascribing it to Jeremy Lin but that is completely missing the point seeing how they performed with Lin out, and that by the end Lin was shooting very badly in some of these games (like 4/17 in the Sixers win).

With Lin: beat Pacers at home, Pacers away next game, Sixers away

Without Lin: beat Magic w/Howard, lost to Hawks away, lost to Pacers away, beat Magic w/Howard away, beat Bulls w/Rose, lost to Bulls away next game w/o Rose, lost to Heat, beat Celtics, beat Hawks away, beat Clippers

I hold the view usually that how you perform against bad teams matters too, I know some people can only fixate on the performance against good teams so I just laid that out...none of the losses were 20 point blowouts or anything, so you could see even though the Knicks still lost to the Heat (3-0 with Lin, 6-4 without against good teams) they were obviously really performing at a high level under Woodson. Fluke or not, Anthony shot 49.5% too (this season 43.5% so far), I think that playing too slow (30th/30 pace) is returning Anthony to bad habits a little much. The Knicks really will be a 60-65% win squad with Woodson in charge :|

I hate Carmelo Anthony and seeing him succeed is going to be the biggest buzzkill for mepersonally.
There's so much hatred. He'll succeed eventually anyway (like Dirk)

Single reason why Woodson is succeeding: he's using Chandler the same way Carlisle used him in the Mav's winning year. Funnel defense. Copy and paste.

Of course it also helps that he has 3 effective veteran PGs who can control Melo/JR Smith, and can throw lobs to Chandler. Haven't seen Novak's numbers yet, but I think he's impressive in one game I've watched them. Who knows, but I think STAT might contribute with the help of 3 guards...

Yep, I better like this Knicks team without Lin.

.... Wow, Brooklyn sucks.

I spent months trying to tell people about how Deron Williams means fucking nothing to a team.

Like before he spited the Mavericks, I was furious that our game plan was to jet Chandler for "definitely" Deron Williams or maybe Dwight Howard. Chandler+Nowitzki+Marion+Mayo+Collison if we still would have gotten there moneywise looks like it could have been a real contender at this point, with Deron we would be no better off than we are right now with Collison. I am not mad at all about where we are (this offense looks FUN, everybody can pass, everybody can shoot, Vince Carter needs to fucking stop taking shots is all), but damn with Chandler...ugh

Of course, Cuban were amazed on how cool Miami's Big 3 is, and he want to form one himself, drooling over Dirk/D-Will/Dwight Big 3, all the while jettisoning the team that just gave him the trophy by giving up Chandler and Barea to clear some cap space.

If they had extended Chandler for 3-4 more years, I think Mavs is in WCF last year, while being considered a contender this year. Chandler is the perfect stopper for all the attacking pointguards running rampant in this new NBA.

There's so much hatred. He'll succeed eventually anyway (like Dirk)

Single reason why Woodson is succeeding: he's using Chandler the same way Carlisle used him in the Mav's winning year. Funnel defense. Copy and paste.

Of course it also helps that he has 3 effective veteran PGs who can control Melo/JR Smith, and can throw lobs to Chandler. Haven't seen Novak's numbers yet, but I think he's impressive in one game I've watched them. Who knows, but I think STAT might contribute with the help of 3 guards...

Yep, I better like this Knicks team without Lin.

.... Wow, Brooklyn sucks.

When he comes back, I hope Amare doesn't mess things up. If his ego can take it, and he comes off the bench for Carmelo they'll be great.

Mike Brown is making so many bad decisions right now. He plays all of his starters +30 a game and doesn't allow their bench to play at all because he's so scared of losing. Obviously because it means losing his job, but come on. You can't just go into desperation mode all the time.

I really hope the rumors are true and Jerry Sloan is coaching the Lakers in December.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)