Official Nintendo Pokemon Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Machamp's no guard does not work for all 4 Pokemon.
It could work for every Pokemon. Give Machamp BrightPowder and have it use DynamicPunch. Every time it attacks, No Guard is coming into play, and every time it's attacked, BrightPowder is bypassed (so if you are paired with EQ Garchomp).

http://www.smogon.com/dp/abilities/no_guard

You are correct that it won't help your ally attacking one of your opponents, though.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It could work for every Pokemon. Give Machamp BrightPowder and have it use DynamicPunch. Every time it attacks, No Guard is coming into play, and every time it's attacked, BrightPowder is bypassed (so if you are paired with EQ Garchomp).
Ha! The ultimate nitpick! Perfectly true, but also perfectly useless. I love it!

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion

http://www.smogon.com/dp/abilities/no_guard

You are correct that it won't help your ally attacking one of your opponents, though.
x_x
I really think everyone is overhyping scarf smeargle. Scarf isn't the best choice for an item in 4v4 doubles, and most opponents will be using lum/chesto berry, making scarf smeargle an easy kill without focus sash or endure.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
For interest's sake, I sent Showdown staff an email asking whether or not cloning was a legitimate technique. And also if Pokemon bred with 'tampered' parents are considered tampered with themselves.

Obviously the second one will have little impact on us since its easy to avoid (i just wanted their opinion on it), but the first one could throw a lot of you off.

I read somewhere that cloning via GTS doesn't alter your secret Pokemon counter or something along those lines. Would that produce a similar effect as hacking?

Maybe more of you could send in emails to guarantee a response.

(For the record, I don't support either method of obtaining Pokemon.)
Any results?

Signed up a few weeks ago and am glad to see that the tournament has a banned list. I'm a bit confused why Dragonite is on there when Salamence & Garchomp are not.

I'm also very disappointed that Sleep Clause won't be in effect... Shame.

For interest's sake, I sent Showdown staff an email asking whether or not cloning was a legitimate technique. And also if Pokemon bred with 'tampered' parents are considered tampered with themselves.

Obviously the second one will have little impact on us since its easy to avoid (i just wanted their opinion on it), but the first one could throw a lot of you off. Pokemon.)
Pardon my ignorance, but how do you avoid getting caught breeding with a 'tampered with' Pokemon?

Not in texas or near? That sucks. Hope a smogoner makes it to the final round...and beat the Japanese at their own game. lol

Every major thing like that for something of theirs that makes it to the US they win for example card games.

I am confirming the above post; the emails HAVE been sent out today, as I have received the email confirming that I have been chosen to participate at the LA showdown.

CHECK YOUR EMAIL EVERYBODY

BlueCookies

Holy Shit, I never expected to be chosen! Not many people must have signed up. I'm gonna represent Smogon in NY. Hope to see you guys there, and if anyone going to LA(So knowing each others teams doesn't harm our performances) wants to test teams with me, or strategize teams, because I have a lot of ideas that, pm me.

BlueCookies

I made it to the New York one, does everybody who scored 20 on that test get chosen?
It's possible, I scored a Twenty, but highly unlikely because that would be unfair and iirc, it specifically said on the site that everyone who passed the test had an equally likely shot.

How did so many people make it in and I didn't. I want a redraw. :/

No, you didn't need a certain score because I scored a 20 as well.

Yeah, this is depressing although knowing my luck, I probably wouldn't have gotten in anyway (even after making three teams for this...) or even worse having my email somehow get lost on its way to me rofl..(not likely)

Pardon my ignorance, but how do you avoid getting caught breeding with a 'tampered with' Pokemon?
You don't get caught, i just thought it would be funny to see what they'd say, or if they'd tell you that its a legal pokemon.

for the record, they told me to expect an email in 3 business days and gave me a ticket number.

good luck to everyone who was chosen!

Wow.. What a bummer. I wasn't picked for the LA one, and I was really counting on going to it :(

I'm planning on seeing my girlfriend in Florida during mid-August, and if I had placed, my airfare could've been taken care of for me. Oh well, maybe next time. Good luck to all that were selected! I may drive down, in case they need a filler, but that's a whole lot of gas based on that "if" factor.

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sign into your MyPokemon Account, it tells you the status on that page, no need to wait for the email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)