1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Official Nintendo Pokemon Tournament

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Forsety, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david stone

david stone Fast-moving, smart, sexy and alarming.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

It could work for every Pokemon. Give Machamp BrightPowder and have it use DynamicPunch. Every time it attacks, No Guard is coming into play, and every time it's attacked, BrightPowder is bypassed (so if you are paired with EQ Garchomp).

http://www.smogon.com/dp/abilities/no_guard

You are correct that it won't help your ally attacking one of your opponents, though.
  2. TheMaskedNitpicker

TheMaskedNitpicker Triple Threat
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Ha! The ultimate nitpick! Perfectly true, but also perfectly useless. I love it!
  3. BlueCookies

BlueCookies April Fools 2009 Participant
    is a VGC 2012 Masters World Champion

x_x
    I really think everyone is overhyping scarf smeargle. Scarf isn't the best choice for an item in 4v4 doubles, and most opponents will be using lum/chesto berry, making scarf smeargle an easy kill without focus sash or endure.
  4. Lorak

Lorak *leekspin*
    is an Artist Alumnus

Any results?
  5. DoubleJG

DoubleJG

Signed up a few weeks ago and am glad to see that the tournament has a banned list. I'm a bit confused why Dragonite is on there when Salamence & Garchomp are not.

I'm also very disappointed that Sleep Clause won't be in effect... Shame.
  6. ΩDonut

ΩDonut don't glaze me bro
    is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon

Dragonite is the only dragon out of those three that is evolved at L55, above the L50 cap.
  7. misdreavus79

misdreavus79

Pardon my ignorance, but how do you avoid getting caught breeding with a 'tampered with' Pokemon?
  8. DoubleJG

DoubleJG

Oh.. That's why.. Thanks for curing my confusion.
  9. PyroDudeX

PyroDudeX

Not in texas or near? That sucks. Hope a smogoner makes it to the final round...and beat the Japanese at their own game. lol

Every major thing like that for something of theirs that makes it to the US they win for example card games.
  10. Little Green Yoda

Little Green Yoda

Anyone know when the raffle winners are contacted? I could've swore it was mid-June, but I can't seem to find that info anywhere on the site right now.
  11. Sixonesix

Sixonesix
    is a Past SPL Winner

Should be tomorrow. Definitely by the end of the week.
  12. Mikey229

Mikey229

Long time no talk everyone. I got in the tournament, no joke. The emails were received today.
  13. POKEMONBATTLEBRAIN

POKEMONBATTLEBRAIN

I am confirming the above post; the emails HAVE been sent out today, as I have received the email confirming that I have been chosen to participate at the LA showdown.

CHECK YOUR EMAIL EVERYBODY
  14. devoninja

devoninja

I am in the LA Qualifier. Sweet.
  15. BlueCookies

Holy Shit, I never expected to be chosen! Not many people must have signed up. I'm gonna represent Smogon in NY. Hope to see you guys there, and if anyone going to LA(So knowing each others teams doesn't harm our performances) wants to test teams with me, or strategize teams, because I have a lot of ideas that, pm me.
  16. sandman

sandman Bum bum bum bum
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I made it to the New York one, does everybody who scored 20 on that test get chosen?
  17. BlueCookies

It's possible, I scored a Twenty, but highly unlikely because that would be unfair and iirc, it specifically said on the site that everyone who passed the test had an equally likely shot.
  18. FiveKRunner

FiveKRunner

How did so many people make it in and I didn't. I want a redraw. :/

No, you didn't need a certain score because I scored a 20 as well.
  19. POKEMONBATTLEBRAIN

POKEMONBATTLEBRAIN

Yes, a certain score was not needed in order to get an email, it was via a random drawing.

Which bites. >_>
  20. Chirnobyl

Chirnobyl

Yeah, this is depressing although knowing my luck, I probably wouldn't have gotten in anyway (even after making three teams for this...) or even worse having my email somehow get lost on its way to me rofl..(not likely)
  21. Duckster

Duckster

You don't get caught, i just thought it would be funny to see what they'd say, or if they'd tell you that its a legal pokemon.

for the record, they told me to expect an email in 3 business days and gave me a ticket number.

good luck to everyone who was chosen!
  22. DoubleJG

DoubleJG

Wow.. What a bummer. I wasn't picked for the LA one, and I was really counting on going to it :(

I'm planning on seeing my girlfriend in Florida during mid-August, and if I had placed, my airfare could've been taken care of for me. Oh well, maybe next time. Good luck to all that were selected! I may drive down, in case they need a filler, but that's a whole lot of gas based on that "if" factor.
  23. Expert Evan

Expert Evan every battle has a smell!
    is a Forum Moderator

I scored 20 on the test and I have not seen an email yet.
  24. Tangerine

Tangerine Where the Lights Are
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Sign into your MyPokemon Account, it tells you the status on that page, no need to wait for the email.
  25. misdreavus79

misdreavus79

Didn't make it. I'll still be going, just in case.

Good luck to the people who did make it, though.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)