Official Nintendo Pokemon Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I didn't make that quite clear, and I only meant to respond to part of your post.

If the opponent has Smeargle + Bronzong, and you have, for instance, Smeargle + Lucario, the opponent will expect your Smeargle to use Fake Out. This is because believes your Lucario is just a damage oriented pokemon and your Smeargle is just there to stop something from targetting it. He also believes that you won't Dark Void, because HE thinks YOU think he will be using Fake Out, and won't risk a 0 priority move, and because HE thinks YOU think he has Lum Berry on Bronzong (Which he probably does anyway). Therefore, the best option he sees is Follow Me; even if you use Follow Me, nothing is lost for him. Didn't capitalize to be condescending, I just thought that part would sound weird.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Sorry, I didn't make that quite clear, and I only meant to respond to part of your post.

If the opponent has Smeargle + Bronzong, and you have, for instance, Smeargle + Lucario, the opponent will expect your Smeargle to use Fake Out. This is because believes your Lucario is just a damage oriented pokemon and your Smeargle is just there to stop something from targetting it. He also believes that you won't Dark Void, because HE thinks YOU think he will be using Fake Out, and won't risk a 0 priority move, and because HE thinks YOU think he has Lum Berry on Bronzong (Which he probably does anyway). Therefore, the best option he sees is Follow Me; even if you use Follow Me, nothing is lost for him. Didn't capitalize to be condescending, I just thought that part would sound weird.
All right, I get it now. But Smeargle would have to be scarfed for that to work, because Lucario has to be slower than it. And this is some good prediction and some big guts too, because that is very risky, by the one side(assuming the other side predicts wrong), so if he does manage to pull this off, it's pretty good for him and he probably deserves it. Although, Copycat is pretty gimmicky, so I doubt that really matters too much anyway. This is also assuming Bronzong is the lead with Smeargle, not Dusknoir.

Just give Lucario a -speed nature and give Smeargle a +speed and max EVs. You probably don't want to have Smeargle Scarfed.

So basically, since it looks like it's almost impossible to beat Trick Room, it's best to just load up on 4 (or two, to make sure they do set up trick room) ridiculously slow monsters, like Rhyperior, and beat them at their own game.

And of course, thank them for setting up trick room for you.

BlueCookies

So basically, since it looks like it's almost impossible to beat Trick Room, it's best to just load up on 4 (or two, to make sure they do set up trick room) ridiculously slow monsters, like Rhyperior, and beat them at their own game.

And of course, thank them for setting up trick room for you.
That's not a good idea imo. What if you come up against a non-Trick Room team which will surely be common for this tournament(maybe not in the later rounds where most of the good people probably using TR will be left, and you can switch teams inbetween rounds anyway)? The team will most likely lose. And if you do come up against TR, so what if you have 4 slow sweepers, they will too and you can still lose to them.

I wanted to have a trick room team, with an imprison dusknoir and then have a super slow sweeping typhlosion. I think this is way to risky. I originally had typhlosion paired with weavile, but everyone good is using tr, so i thought maybe a slow typhlosion would be good. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'd prefer that Bluecookies not share how, but I did beat his Bronzong/Smeargle lead with a strategy not mentioned here. Had he predicted me better he might have made my life more difficult but I still would have had a fair chance.

BlueCookies

I'd prefer that Bluecookies not share how, but I did beat his Bronzong/Smeargle lead with a strategy not mentioned here. Had he predicted me better he might have made my life more difficult but I still would have had a fair chance.
yeah, that was very interesting, I won't share your team though, although the only pokemon I remember were the two who were leading. I was very surprised by what the one Pokemon did(not the one who Ko'd Bronzong) so that's where I mispredicted. At least that match will help me if I ever face someone with the same pokemon as you, which is what the match wa for, practice. Although you did give away 2 of my Pokemon in your post, although I still don't even know if I'll use them <.<

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
All I have to say is one of the most idiotic rules I've seen in awhile.

I think it's mostly PoA that's ignorant of competitive play, rather than Gamefreak.

I might go to the LA event, though. If it's not full??

Lol'd at nickname rules

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Don't discuss Pokesav, Action Replay and other related devices here. The rules specifically mention that any person's who game has been altered with an external device will be disqualified, not to mention against our forum rules.

That's not a good idea imo. What if you come up against a non-Trick Room team which will surely be common for this tournament(maybe not in the later rounds where most of the good people probably using TR will be left, and you can switch teams inbetween rounds anyway)? The team will most likely lose. And if you do come up against TR, so what if you have 4 slow sweepers, they will too and you can still lose to them.
This is my only concern, that I'm going to get myself over prepared for a trick room team, and then get butt ****ed by a non-trick room team (I've already thought of 4 ways to beat a trick room team, btw).

Well if anyone Top 8s either of these events, I won a trip to the Trading Card Game World Championships this past weekend, so we can meet or something. ;/

what about something like a Gengar + Alakazam opening with them out Smeargle will be forced to use Follow Me since Fake Out does nothing to either, while Alakazam is now forced to Trick Choice Specs/Scarf to Smeargle making Smeargle dead weight and Gengar Trick Rooms while Bronzong cancels Gengar's Trick Room, also Gengar and Alakazam on their own are already speedy sweepers and are unaffected by Intimidate in that way, the biggest problem however would be if you ran into a Weavile... in which case if you have Choice Scarf on Alakazam you better hope you land a Focus Blast on it, or hope he targets Gengar while Gengar sashes it or something... not a lot of people would expect Trick Room when Gengar and Alakazam come out, so you should be able to stop a lot of Trick Roomers and they're both Fake Out immune (well Alakazam can Inner Focus it), unless they manage to predict you and refrain from setting up Trick Room, although... Scarfed Smeargle... hope this makes sense >.<

Just a dumb question: can this combo work?
Turn 1#
Smeargle used Skill Swap on Machamp
Machamp used blabla
Smeargle destroys everything with OHKO moves

Another "just a dumb question": can Skill Swap be Baton Passed?
ex.
Venomoth used Skill Swap on Machamp
[...]
Venomoth used Baton Pass to (ex. Lapras)

I think the Bronzong+ Smeargle combo can be stopped with Donphan's Sandstorm.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Just a dumb question: can this combo work?
Turn 1#
Smeargle used Skill Swap on Machamp
Machamp used blabla
Smeargle destroys everything with OHKO moves

Another "just a dumb question": can Skill Swap be Baton Passed?
ex.
Venomoth used Skill Swap on Machamp
[...]
Venomoth used Baton Pass to (ex. Lapras)

I think the Bronzong+ Smeargle combo can be stopped with Donphan's Sandstorm.
Sure, if Smeargle doesn't get OHKOed by having no defenses whatsoever, and everything hitting it with No Guard's double-edged blade...

And no, can't be passed.

Sure, if Smeargle doesn't get OHKOed by having no defenses whatsoever, and everything hitting it with No Guard's double-edged blade...

And no, can't be passed.
Smeargle could just hold a focus sash to remedy that.

EDIT: but you do know that when a machamp with no guard is in play everything has the ability iirc?

BlueCookies

I just noticed that the LA tournament is a week before NY, and LA's is in a week. GL to all attending LA, and hopefully there will be some good warstories, I will be sure to write one.

Yeah, one week away! :O I am definitely going to be writing a warstory and if possible I will be recording the final battle(even if I am in the final battle :p) on my video camera and putting it on Youtube(possibly the semi's as well, but I think those are still on DS =/).

BlueCookies

Yeah, one week away! :O I am definitely going to be writing a warstory and if possible I will be recording the final battle on my video camera and putting it on Youtube(possibly the semi's as well, but I think those are still on DS =/).
Yeah, I'm bringing my video camera too, but are the top 8 matches(or top4, 2, w/e) being played on PBR? I hear they are from some people but others had no idea this was happening?

I thought it was just the final being battled on PBR. IIRC the semis and quarters were still being played on DS local wireless.

Though it would still be cool if they changed them to PBR. That way I can record those too. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)