Official Nintendo Pokemon Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
I passed the quiz at 19/20 and live like 2 hours from NYC, so hopefully I'll get in. I'll be down in FL that weekend for the Trading Card Game World Championships as well, so I'll be able to check it out either way. If I get in, I'll be asking for a lot of help on this one. ;x
Retarded rules, though.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I haven't exactly tested it, but how would Sketch function in RBY, where it hasn't been programmed in at all? Wouldn't it glitch?
You'd use Sketch in GSC, and trade the Electrode back to RBY once it has obtained Spore.

You'd use Sketch in GSC, and trade the Electrode back to RBY once it has obtained Spore.
But Mimic only copies the effect of a move, it doesn't replace it (like Sketch does). The Electrode would still have Mimic after the battle.

No, because Sketch's effects are 'more' permanent than Mimic's. Remember how Sketch would go through Transform and the pokemon would keep the sketched move? It's the same kind of thing.

Is anyone else having problems creating a "My Pokémon" account or whatever the fuck its called? I'd hate for the reason keeping me out of this tournament is least of all server issues. -_-

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
But Mimic only copies the effect of a move, it doesn't replace it (like Sketch does). The Electrode would still have Mimic after the battle.
You Mimic Sketch, then Sketch Spore.

Sadly, this does not work in 3rd or 4th gens.

OMG Finally I get to get my revenge from 10 ANIV back than I was a noob and now I know competive battling inside and out and yeah dang you Obi will most likely be in it.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sketching Metronome causes Smeargle to learn Metronome. I just tested it. The upshot is that Smeargle can't have Seed Flare or Judgment in this tournament.

I'm surprised, Obi! I didn't expect this kind of assumption from you. ;P
It wasn't an assumption. We had this discussion in 'early' (early for me) Shoddybattle when I was saying that Smeargle should be unable to learn Judgment because it's impossible to fight an Arceus to Sketch it. Then we got into a discussion of whether it's possible to Metronome Judgment (it is). Someone then claimed that you could Sketch Judgment that way. This is the source of my error. :toast:

Anyway, I'm going to edit the OP and stick this.

Gray areas / points of clarification:

Use of the Transform glitch is almost certainly banned (only possible in early Japanese DP, short version is that any Pokemon that can Transform by any means can learn any Sketchable move)

When they say your team must consist of 4 Pokemon, do they mean that like JAA was (bring 6, see their team, select 4) or you have to just put 4 Pokemon in your team?

Smeargle apparently cannot use Seed Flare or Judgment. Dark Void is legal.

All event moves are allowed.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
When they say your team must consist of 4 Pokemon, do they mean that like JAA was (bring 6, see their team, select 4) or you have to just put 4 Pokemon in your team?
I'm nearly certain that you can only have four Pokémon total in your team. It sounds like they'll be using D/P rather than PBR for some reason. It's very odd, since PBR would give them the ability to implement Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, and level scaling. Anyhow, D/P doesn't really make for easy 'bring 6, choose 4' play, so I'm assuming you only bring 4. I'm also assuming you won't be seeing your opponent's team before choosing your leads.

Funny, I was talking with Expert Evan about how they probably wouldn't have one of these till Platinum, and here it is >.>

Obi- So what you're saying is that in a regular ole D/P game, you can Metronome Judgment and/or Seed Flare and/or Dark Void?
o.O

Prizes are very enticing (especially the custom DS units!) but I'm still unlikely to attend since LA is 6 hours away and I don't really feel driving 12 hours roundtrip to lose in a Pokemon tourney. =/

What is up with the "special DS lite systems" used at the tourney though?

EDIT: Also lol at everyone bitching about the level 50 rule. Guess I wasn't crazy requesting mostly UT versions of stuff I trade for. Note that there are some important level-up moves that won't be "legal" too. Tri-Attack Pory2/PoryZ, for example.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Obi- So what you're saying is that in a regular ole D/P game, you can Metronome Judgment and/or Seed Flare and/or Dark Void?
o.O
Yes. Apparently you cannot Sketch Metronomed moves (it Sketches Metronome instead), however.

I would put off trying to register for the next couple days. The site is really slow right now, and I don't want to risk being put into some sort of semi-registered limbo due to the site lagging on me. According to their stuff, it's not first-come, first-served, so that's not an issue.

I was wondering if i use AR to get Tm, Items would they check that or the pokemon im using. Also my friend put the Arceus,Shaymin, And Darkrai items in my game so does that mess me up??

obi

formerly david stone
If you have the non-released event items, that is proof that you have had an AR used on your system. If you have Arceus in your Pokedex, that's proof that you have viewed an illegal Pokemon. I wouldn't trust having either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)