Official Smogon Fantasy Football PLAYOFF Thread (2014-15 Edition)

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
hey I drafted Gronk in the 4th round I don't know what you guys are talking about bad TEs

totally fucking worth it
Even Jimmy Graham put up a big fat ZERO yesterday (thanks Justin) BUT THE GRONK TRAIN ROLLS ON

started Tony Romo and Jimmy Graham in one league in a must-win game, and won to lock up my division.

came in 12th/12 teams in another league (with half of my opponent's points scored) and made the playoffs because the two teams I was tied with also lost.

and my shitty team in League C that should have gone 2-10 finally got all-but-eliminated from the playoffs.

feels good :^)

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In a surprising twist the League C standings finished exactly as total points for would suggest.

Sign of a good league imo
Yeah it's honestly been that way all season, don't think I've ever seen that happen before. Usually there's at least one team that ends up way higher than they deserve and another team that ends up way lower. League D isn't exactly in order, but there's nothing really out of whack either.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah it's honestly been that way all season, don't think I've ever seen that happen before. Usually there's at least one team that ends up way higher than they deserve and another team that ends up way lower. League D isn't exactly in order, but there's nothing really out of whack either.
Have I mentioned that I'm never drafting an RB in non-Smogon leagues again? I have RB lineups where I'm not picking up guys like Tre Mason because I'm sitting on Murray+Charles+Forsett+Ingram+DRob

So many new good RBs every year, WR waiver wire is dead.

Again unless you're me in League C and you're going to be starting Sankey+JStew in the first week of playoffs after Ellington's injury ._.

except that my team is shit. ;)

I MADE THE PLAY OFFS IN ALL THREE LEAGUES I'M IN!

gonna be rough though:

trying to pick up Coby Fleener to play over Kelce because fuck Andy Reed.

also having to play Rudolph instead of Julius sucks butt.

Last edited:
There's an interesting tiebreak that's possible in one of my leagues (playoffs don't start until next week), and I'm interested in what you guys think about it.

There's 3 divisions, and each division team plays each other twice. There's a potential 4-way tie for 2 Wild Card spots among teams with the same record, so the next tiebreaker is H2H. However, based on how you eliminate teams, it could create a whole mess of a situation.

H2H among them looks like this:

Team A 2-0 Team B
Team A 0-1 Team C
Team A 1-0 Team D
Team B 1-0 Team C
Team B 1-0 Team D
Team C 1-0 Team D

Total:
Team A: 3-1
Team B: 2-2
Team C: 2-1
Team D: 0-3

There's three ways tiebreakers could work, sending either Team B or Team C to the playoffs!

Method 1: Best Winning % (No Elimination)
Simply choosing the teams with the best H2H record among the 4. Team A obviously makes it at 3-1, and the next best is Team C at 2-1.

Method 2: Eliminate 1st WC team after securing playoff spot
Since Team A has the best record, they win the first WC spot "first" and then the standings are recalculated specifically for the second WC spot. This makes the standings now:

Team B: 2-0
Team C: 1-1
Team D: 0-2

Team B is 2-0, and obviously the second WC spot.

Method 3: Eliminate lowest teams first
Since Team D has the worst record, they're eliminated, leaving the standings as:

Team A: 2-1
Team B: 1-2
Team C: 1-2

Team B beat Team C H2H, so Team C is eliminated and Teams A/B make the playoffs.

Method 4: Eliminate lowest team in each division (this is what the NFL does, apparently)
Team A 2-0'd Team B, so Team B is eliminated. The remaining 3 teams are in 3 different divisions, and the standings look like:

Team A: 1-1
Team C: 1-1
Team D: 0-2

Teams A/C make the playoffs.

All our playoff seeding is done by hand, so there's no automated or technically correct answer on which method would be best. Luckily, I'm Team A and don't have to worry about it, but I feel like either Team B or Team C could make a case that they should be the ones to secure that last playoff spot.

Any thoughts?

Joique or Keenan in PPR?

leaning Joique.

also in my standard league i have the Lions and the Rams...thinking Lions.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Joique or Keenan in PPR?

leaning Joique.

also in my standard league i have the Lions and the Rams...thinking Lions.
Lions have a juicy set of matchups for the fantasy playoffs, so I'd roll with them. The Rams wouldn't be a bad play this week either as they are playing the lolskins though. Keenan Allen has to deal with the Pats respectable secondary this week, but the game is in SD so it might be a shootout.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Flip a coin between B/C, Killah. That's also what the NFL does. 8)

Final week of the regular season and technically nobody in League A has secured a playoff spot, although me and Aldaron would be hard pressed to lose ours. The six teams in contention have all somehow managed to play #7-12 this week instead of each other and Aldaron currently holding down the top spot is only a game up on #2-5 (and not even holding the Points For lead).

Last edited:
Losing Marshall isn't as big of a deal when you gave Keenan and Colston on your bench.

Thats brytal for Marshall though, hope he's okay.

this is a nightmare. i've got manning and sanders (who just left the game after a hard hit to the head) and my opponent has cj anderson... this cant be happening

all someone in my money league had to do was to not get outscored by 95+ points in order to make the playoffs and be my opponent

he's getting outscored 137-15 right now, with Lacy and the Packers D left to play.

~_~

Screenshot_2014-12-07-22-04-09.png
Others came close, but i finally did it...with Marshall/Rudolph/Gordon/Vinatari all scoring single digits (Lions D got 21).

:>

a guy in my money league has already scored 215 points this week (he has bell, murray, edelman, megatron, to list some names) and he still has cobb left to play... unfortunately for him, he's on a bye week so it was all for nothing

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
a guy in my money league has already scored 215 points this week (he has bell, murray, edelman, megatron, to list some names) and he still has cobb left to play... unfortunately for him, he's on a bye week so it was all for nothing
Lol that happened to me last year in one league. I ended up tanking the next week

all someone in my money league had to do was to not get outscored by 95+ points in order to make the playoffs and be my opponent

he's getting outscored 137-15 right now, with Lacy and the Packers D left to play.

~_~
I was mistaken thanks to some thursday night points, but he only had to not be outscored by 101 points.

Final ended 137-41, so I get to play the team that scored 41 points next week as opposed to the team that scored 137.

usually what happens in this scenario is that the crappy team explodes in the actual playoffs so I'll probably lose anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)