Official Smogon Fantasy Football PLAYOFF Thread (2014-15 Edition)

Denny, I am sorry but it looks like you missed out on the smogon leagues this year as we are all full. You're still welcome to comment/give/ask for advice in the thread, and we'll get you in next season!
Id be interested too if their was enough to do something else.(I posted something about a week ago I believe) Otherwise I'll try to remeber next year.

On that note has anyone ever done a draft only league? MFL offers free draft only leagues and they are fun to do and require no commitment beyond the initial draft. They do the text/email draft so you don't even have to find a good time for everyone. Just throwing it out there....

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I did it. A pick in the first half of the draft! (First pick at that! *ahem*)

This year is finally my year to shine. I mean, it might've been last year if it wasn't for Jamaal Charles... *shakes fist* Although I would've lost in finals anyway.

Second team looks pretty weak and ofc you go Jags D haha
weak? he's got Keenan Allen, Joique Bell, Kyle Rudolph and Jeremy Hill on the bench. Even though Allen >> Randle week 1 and beyond, that's still pretty good depth to go along with a very good roster (Forte, Vereen, Marshall, and Julius Thomas are all "elite" at their positions, and the rest isn't bad).

I like both teams though, bench 1 will be a little weak if Kelce/Ingram/Lee don't pull through (I think Benjamin will) so dropping Palmer or Lee for another high upside RB handcuff might not be a bad idea. No point in rushing that before the season though.

I just had the fantasy draft for my league last night. Hoping the Brees + Graham combo will carry me to victory!
I don't have any elite WRs or RBs but I got solid depth all day. Trying to get a package trade done to get DT/Dez/AJ/Lacy/Forte.
Draft.png

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
anyone ever do a 2 QB league? I'm drafting for one soon and honestly I have no idea what I'm doing

Second team looks pretty weak and ofc you go Jags D haha
i actually dropped them for the Jets.

i do think the Jags D will be good this year, but first week against the Eagles is going to be rough.

weak? he's got Keenan Allen, Joique Bell, Kyle Rudolph and Jeremy Hill on the bench. Even though Allen >> Randle week 1 and beyond, that's still pretty good depth to go along with a very good roster (Forte, Vereen, Marshall, and Julius Thomas are all "elite" at their positions, and the rest isn't bad).

I like both teams though, bench 1 will be a little weak if Kelce/Ingram/Lee don't pull through (I think Benjamin will) so dropping Palmer or Lee for another high upside RB handcuff might not be a bad idea. No point in rushing that before the season though.
i did swap Roob for Keenan. at first i the Cards D had me worried, but then i read some things about Roob and Eli not being on the same page at all, and decided to go with the most talent and not worry about the match up.

and yeah, i really like he depth i have on that team, lots of big upside guys that could really dominate.

but then it's a 3 WR league with 9 bench spots, so depth is easier to keep around. didn't do as well in my other draft, but i feel good about JC/ZS/JC, and Matt Ryan has a sick receiving core and should be solid week in and week out. injuries are going to kill me in that league though. glad i got KD just in case.

I just had the fantasy draft for my league last night. Hoping the Brees + Graham combo will carry me to victory!
I don't have any elite WRs or RBs but I got solid depth all day. Trying to get a package trade done to get DT/Dez/AJ/Lacy/Forte.
View attachment 25414
your WRs look much more suspect than your RBs, but Brees + Graham is a nasty combo for sure. Johnson and Richardson are garbage though, i'd check the wire for Jeremy Hill (handcuff you should have anyway) and someone like Ingram or Knile Davis.

i did swap Roob for Keenan. at first i the Cards D had me worried, but then i read some things about Roob and Eli not being on the same page at all, and decided to go with the most talent and not worry about the match up.
Personally I wouldn't touch Eli or any of his receivers, it's just too risky. Allen is a beast though. I'd say 1200 yards and 8 TDs without too much trouble.

your WRs look much more suspect than your RBs, but Brees + Graham is a nasty combo for sure. Johnson and Richardson are garbage though, i'd check the wire for Jeremy Hill (handcuff you should have anyway) and someone like Ingram or Knile Davis.
Johnson isn't amazing but he keeps clearing 1000 yards and he's on the run heavy/bad passing Jets.
Trent has been garbage but I still have hope for him. I got him in the 13th round so I won't be too pissed either way.
I might get Hill if I get one of these trades through since I'm trying to get rid of C Johnson + TY Hilton for 1, meaning I'll have an empty roster spot for whoever I want off free agency. I don't trust Ingram or Knile Davis so I'll snag Hill or Reggie Wayne if anyone accepts my trade offer.

the thing about Johnson is you never know if he's going to get you 3 or 33 points. you can't trust him. he'll have maybe 3 big games and be horrible the rest.

i think Ingram is going to have a good year this year, and Knile Davis is worthless unless JC goes down (god forbid).

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
anyone ever do a 2 QB league? I'm drafting for one soon and honestly I have no idea what I'm doing
Treat it as normal, except you really really want to have a second (and possibly third) starting QB because depending on how big your league is you're liable to not have two starters at all. I'm not talking like bad, #60-big-board RB/WR giving you a couple points for touching the ball twice a game. Outside of injury more than one QB per team almost never gets in the game and you can easily end up with a big fat zero in that slot weekly.

I rarely have more than my starter in a conventional FF league, and then wait until their bye to pick up a spot starter for the week. For a 2-QB league you absolutely need two starters and probably want a third on the bench, with none of them sharing byes because if your league is more than ten teams you will literally not have enough QBs to go around. You absolutely must draft them because there simply won't be free agents.

tl;dr Draft more QBs. Basically, instead of taking late-draft flyers on underrated/rookie flex players, make sure you have extra starting QBs.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

I didn't notice how stacked his bench was, fixated too much on the starting lineup.

Not that I can talk, my team sucks this year lol. Well, not so much sucks as has massive question marks. Le'Veon Bell, Reggie Bush and Wes Welker all could end up being busts and sending me to a crap finish, or they could all beast it and I could make the playoffs. Got a bunch of high upside rookies on my bench too so there's a lot of variability with my team.

Sam

is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Here's how I ended up doing in my 8 team league draft (roster spots are a bit different because we wanted to have some fun)

I think I did pretty well?

EDIT: Half PPR btw

Last edited:
Denny, I am sorry but it looks like you missed out on the smogon leagues this year as we are all full. You're still welcome to comment/give/ask for advice in the thread, and we'll get you in next season!
Aww, alright no problem. I'll stay tuned for next season.

Here's how I ended up doing in my 8 team league draft (roster spots are a bit different because we wanted to have some fun)

I think I did pretty well?

EDIT: Half PPR btw
uhhhh yeah i'd say you did alright.

EDIT: okay in one league i have Julius Thomas/Kyle Rudolph/Travis Kelce. Heath Miller is on the wire, and i've been reading a lot about the Steelers WR corps being undersized and how he'll get a lot of redzone action. i want to hang on to Kelce because he has huge upside, but what do you think about dropping KR for HM? it's a 1ppr league.

Last edited:
okay in one league i have Julius Thomas/Kyle Rudolph/Travis Kelce. Heath Miller is on the wire, and i've been reading a lot about the Steelers WR corps being undersized and how he'll get a lot of redzone action. i want to hang on to Kelce because he has huge upside, but what do you think about dropping KR for HM? it's a 1ppr league.
Don't do it - Rudolph is poised for a monster season under Norv Turner.

Really though, I don't know that I would even be carrying a backup TE (unless this is some weird league where you start two TEs, or you have flex spot(s) where you don't have anyone better to start) to begin with if I had Orange Julius. And I definitely wouldn't roster Kelce, a third TE. You could use that last bench spot for RB depth.

Last edited:
i'm thinking tradebait for KR, and if Kelce starts putting up numbers i'm thinking Flex.

i already have Forte/Jackson/Shareen (flex) with Bell/Hill on the bench.

You're probably far more likely to a beneficial ROI if you try to shop Julius. Since you drafted him probably in the 3rd or 4th round, there's bound to be some position you could stand to improve on. People forget Rudolph scored 9 times two years ago, and Turner has a history of utilizing the tight end, so don't be afraid to rely on him as your starter. And at that point, if you trade Julius, you could always keep Kelce if you're really that high on him.

hmm that's not a bad idea.

will have to see how things re looking after the first few weeks.

haha i have Knile Davis and Mark Ingram on that bench too. >.>

Last edited:
dear god. playing in my 10 man money league i was able to draft forte, AJ, alshon jefferey, russ wilson, and im absolutely loaded with bench players. biggest steal of the draft for me: EMMANUEL SANDERS. im calling it right now, this guy is going to be the 2014 version of 2013 eric decker. i also got a bunch of low risk high reward guys ie: jeremy hill, hyde, justin hunter, andre williams.. things are looking good* atm

Sam

depends on where you got him. he's been rising fast as hell, in 12 team I think his ADP is in like the 4th now. With Welker's suspension there's a little more reason to like him, but I probably wouldn't take him before the 6th-7th. Coming from a Steelers fan, he does not have the hands to be a 2013 Decker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)