Official Smogon Tournament #2 Closing Ceremony

Status
Not open for further replies.

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
First off, congratulations to Noobster, Hipmonlee, and Aeolus (mostly Noobster though!)! You all made it through some intense competition to be victorious, or at least on the podium, of the biggest online Pokemon tournament ever, competitor wise. I can only hope, however, that this tournament managed to compete with the hype that the original Sneak Tournaments like SMPT and CLST had.

However, it isn't just the winners that made this tournament successful. It was everyone here who battled on time, made predictions, and generally kept this tournament alive! For those of you who have been part of the community since GSBot you'll most likely have realized that very few tournaments were completed since Sneak 3: Double Showdown (thankfully one of those was Smogon Tournament #1!).

It may sound incredibly corny, but this tournament has been an accomplishment on a few different fronts.

On one side as many of you have undoubtably noticed the community has had a fierce rivalry between sites. However for this tournament we all came together and gave it our all for Pokemon! All stupidity aside, I'm glad we didn't see too much "fuck u PokeRealm is the best!" or "Anyone who isn't part of Smogon has no fucking chance" crap going around. Despite the fact that some of us (CTrainer) haven't reached puberty, we all got along like adults for the most part. Good work, guys. You're only making the online community seem more respectable.

On another side altogether it proved that you people still all care about events like this. I was seriously having doubts, even with 128 spots getting filled in around 18 hours, that this tournament would finish without a hitch. Despite a few first/second round substitutions the tournament went very smoothly. I'd like to thank you on behalf of both chaos and myself for making this an enjoyable experience to run.

Finally, I'm glad I had the chance to prove to you that you can win prizes playing Pokemon. I sincerely hoped this has made competitors and the rest of the community alike view Smogon as more of an 'official' online Pokemon hangout than just another site hosting unimportant tournaments.

On that note...

Noobster has chosen that he wants Pokemon XD.

Hipmonlee, it'll cost me an arm and a leg to mail you your player's guide and your t-shirt, but I'll do it anyways.

Aeolus... well, screw you I'm going to save money and just give you your t-shirt when I meet you in Chicago at the end of May.

Prizes will be shipped once Aragornbird finishes designing the t-shirt and I get them made. Your patience is appreciated.

Finally...

Let's give Noobster one big giant hand for his marvelous performance throughout the tournament. It isn't easy winning a tournament of this size and calibre especially in the later rounds when, yes, you do start feeling the pressure. Let's also give smaller hands to Hipmonlee and Aeolus on their performances as well.

Keep your eyes towards the future for next time folks. Also expect a write up of this including all the rounds to be on the site whenever I have time to do it.

Pokemon on the Internet. We made it happen.

noobster

space cowboy
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 2nd Official Smogon Tournament
Thanks to chaos and skarm especially for hosting this tournament marvellously. For those of you guys that supported me, thanks a lot as well. This tournament was a ton of fun for me, and probably everyone else that participated enjoyed it as well. I'm looking forward to next years, because this sure awesome.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'd like to echo Noobster's words of appreciation to skarm and chaos for making a tournament of this magnitude into a reality. As cheesy as it sounds, the Smogon128 provided a wonderful respite from the interboard wars and granted me the opportunity to meet some wonderful people here at Smogon who I'd have otherwise never had the chance to get to know. Hell, I'm even going to meet skarm the magnificent (my pokemon/elitism mentor) in person to collect my glorious t-shirt! I will definitely be looking out for next year's installment because this was the most fun I've had on NetBattle.

I'd also like to offer my congratulations to homsar. He had arguably the most difficult tournament path of anyone to the final four (skarm, Vineon, Devilkid, imperfectluck, and mtg <===yeah, that's tough) and his accomplishment should be recognized as well. Bravo homsar, you surprised a hell of a lot of people.

Stop being such an egotistical moron all the time.

Anyway, this was a badass 128 man tournament that ran very smoothly and didn't have many problems. Congrats to Noobster for winning it all and to Hip for winning a T-shirt (which he really wanted!)

Bugsy23

"Lets go to sleep in Paris, and wake up in Tokyo"
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Congrats to Noobster, Hip, Aeolus, and everyone else that participated. It was cool to watch from the sidelines since I didn't play in this tournament, but hopefully I can next year.

congrats Noobster for winning and you deserve it esp with beating the quality and quanity of players you did. I feel bad not routing for you at all during this tourney but you showed me and others wrong and won this freaking tourney :]

Congratulations to the winners, with Noobster in special due to his performance, but also to Hipmonlee and Aeolus for being very good runner-ups.

Besides that, also congratulations to the organisators who did a very good job making this go smoothly and that is why alot of people can't wait till a next big tournament of this shape and quality, which will probably be reached when it is Advanced mode, because that just has the most players.

Good job people!

Congratulations to all 4 of you, especially Noobster for sure. And i mostly predicted against him, seems i really suck in predicting, well next time I know who i have to vote for. :D

Congrats everyone. Especially Noobster and Aeolus. From the start, Noobster was doing well with his Dragonite team(he haxed husk1442 and beat Cromat by a landslide with it), but now he can do fine without it. I still don't know why I didn't join this :(

Congratulations to Noobster, Hip, Aeolus and Homsar.

You are all good trainers and good people. ;)

Congratulations to all of you. I missed the fucking battle because at 10:20 Gomez was still a no-show! >:( I wish I had the time to wait for so long like the rest of you guys. :'(

Regardless, it was a good game, I'm sure.

Congrats to Noobster, Hipmonlee, Aeolus. And homsar too! Also thanks to skarm and chaos for running this tourney so well.

I can honestly say participating in this was a great experience, and I'd never have thought I'd get as far as I did. Top 16 isn't half bad for a random like me. ;]

Seriously looking forward to the next smogon tourney.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
congratulations to noobster, hipmonlee, aeolus, and homsar for doing very well in this tourney. good job guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)