Welcome to this year's edition of one of Smogon's longest standing traditions, the Official Smogon Tournament! The format is as simple as it is classic - a winner-takes-all best of three in the current generation of our OverUsed format!
Players will be picked randomly against one another for as many rounds as it takes to find one final champion. While posting replays will never be mandatory throughout this tournament, it is encouraged to save them in case of any disputes! Seriously, do yourself a favor and save them somewhere.
OST Specific Rules
This is a standard USM OU tournament.
The tournament will be single elimination.
Players will play a best of three series of games each round
Matches are to be played on Pokemon Showdown!. If you can't agree on which server to play on, the Smogtours server is the default option.
Standard Rules and Clauses
Sleep Clause: A player cannot put two or more different opposing Pokémon to sleep using attacks that induce sleep to opposing Pokémon.
Species Clause: A player cannot have two of the same Pokémon on their team. For example, a player cannot have two Koffing on his or her team.
Evasion Clause: A player cannot use the moves Double Team or Minimize in their Pokémon's movesets.
OHKO Clause: Players cannot use Horn Drill, Guillotine, Sheer Cold, or Fissure in any of their Pokémon's movesets.
Team Preview: Players must turn on the Team Preview feature where players can view the opposing team's Pokémon and choose their lead Pokémon.
Timer Clause: If a player exhausts the timer, he/she loses.
Endless Battle Clause: Any moveset on any Pokémon that is capable of intentionally causing an endless battle is banned from competitive play. Check this thread for more information.
Baton Pass Clause: The move Baton Pass is banned outright.
Uber Clause: Players may not use any items, moves, abilities, or Pokemon that appear on Smogon's OU Ban List. If the tiers change or new items, abilities, moves, or Pokemon become available in the middle of a round, the changes will take effect in the following round. There will be an announcement in the relevant round if this occurs.
About Activity Decisions
Activity Decisions / Coin Flips: In the event that there is an uncompleted match at the deadline, it will be coin flipped unless one or both of the players involved in the match specifically request an activity win and explain sufficiently why they deserve to win over their opponent. Attempting to schedule a battle is required in order to receive the win by activity. To make it clear that you are requesting an activity win when you post, you must open your post with "Activity Win Request" in bold.
For example, if you believe your opponent is making an unfair request and that they don't deserve the activity win over you, you can either make your own request or quote their post and explain why they don't deserve it. You should try to make your activity win request posts at least 24 hours before the deadline to give your opponent a reasonable opportunity to contest it with their own activity win request.
In case of disconnections, you may submit your teams in a Private Message to me (Tony) on Smogon before your games are played. If a disconnect happens and teams were submitted, post the replay in the thread and the circumstances that surrounded the disconnection, and I will be able to give you a call on how we proceed.
Playing before the prediction tour occurred
The prediction tournament will return this year! You may play before the prediction tournament is up but try not to announce the result of your games before it actually get posted. In case you would play, the result wouldn't be altered anyway.
Just like last year, there will be a cash prize for this tournament! The winner of this year's Official Smogon Tournament will receive 200 USD! If there are any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to me or another TD team member!
To sign up, simply post "in" or a blob emoji of your choice in this thread. Out of the original 2048 signups, the first 62.5% of users that signed up will be guaranteed a spot in the tournament, while the remaining 37.5% will be randomized. It's worth emphasizing that we're expecting a ton of substitutes to take place, so not making the original cut doesn't mean you're excluded from participation by any means.