Official Smogon University Simulator Statistics — August 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Stall is dead because of Gothitelle. It makes the playstyle completely unviable in RU. The Specs set can take out the majority of common walls in the metagame, including Cryogonal, Slowking, Steelix, Tangrowth, Poliwrath, Lanturn, and more. Nidoqueen may also have had a hand in this, since while it doesn't make stall unviable it certainly makes it not as good as was before BW2 and the latest tier shifts.

| 90 | Meloetta | 6867 | 1.277% | 5209 | 1.196% |

Very disappointed with this. I guess people have yet to "discover" how great Meloetta is, as even Umbreon and Charizard are used more often than it. Better get laddering then!

| 55 | Kingdra | 17775 | 3.304% | 13768 | 3.161% |

I'm also surprised that Kingdra didn't make the top 50 - it's one of the best checks to rain teams, and I've personally seen people use it a lot.

ss234

bop.
Stall in RU is incredibly difficult to pull off thanks to Nidoqueen and Moltres and Gothitelle. Nidoqueen should be number one-it 2hko's the entire tier with the right move, and Moltres does basically the same thing if it is running HP Grass for Lanturn and Rock types. Like CL said, Gothitelle traps every spiker in the metagame as well as the majority of walls.

Kabutops should be higher up, but at least has overtaken crappy Sandslash. Slowking is too high up, and Tauros, Smeargle and Escavalier are far too low. Escav and Smeargle should be top ten, and Tauros should not be NU at all. Top twenty in RU at least.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
^They unanimously decided against quickbanning it, but don't worry, UU is also voting on it, and since it's actually a lot better in UU than it is in RU, there's a good chance its going.

Anyway, its interesting to see how as soon as something drops to UU, OU players stop using it. I'm looking at Scrafty specifically because it took forever to drop, but now that it did, it's usage is at less than 2%. Heh.

Also, can you OU loving people stop using Metagross and use Mew more? Please?

(First Post Ever)
A trend I have been seeing in most of these analyses: Empoleon is lower than Milotic in UU, but higher than it in OU and seems to be floating around the. Likely since Empoleon's type provides useful resistance to Kingdra, Cloyster, and Tornadus-T(?, some data to see if this comment is accurate) T others (proof that Empoleon is useful [although not AS useful as others] in the new B2/W2 OU).

But alas, enough of my obsession with my personal favorite:

Uber
Nothing much to say. Dialga got some love last month and that's the only significant thing I see.

OU
Ninetales dropped 6 spots, but Venusaur jumped 12 spots. Glad to see people are recognizing that Venusaur is a serious threat in OU. Genesect looks like a contender for the top 5 in OU in the future. And Chansey near cut? Absurd...

UU
ABOUT TIME Heracross overtook Roserade in UU. When it gets going, it is nearly impossible to stop within the tier. Oh, and look at Zoroark's percent and RealPrcnt...What the heck?

Anyway, its interesting to see how as soon as something drops to UU, OU players stop using it. I'm looking at Scrafty specifically because it took forever to drop, but now that it did, it's usage is at less than 2%. Heh.
This is actually a huge prolem, in my opinion.

Part of it is that new and inexperienced players learning about tiers for the first time don't realize that the tiers are banlists and that lower-tier pokes can be used in matches.

Another part is that when players go to make teams or fill slots, they'll consult the list of Pokemon in that tier rather than, say, the list of all Pokemon who have Smogon analyses (and thus must be somewhat viable) for that tier.

The problem is further compounded with PS, since the teambuilder will show lists of Pokemon in a tier when building a team in that "format."

This was a nice thing about PO, in retrospect: you built your team without a built-in tier list, then when you logged onto the server, you were told in which tiers you could use that team.

I really see all this leading to a state where it's going to be very hard for anything to rise, especially as PS grows in popularity and attracts less-experienced players.

| 1 | Politoed | 105968 | 19.698%
| 16 | Ninetales | 54702 | 10.169%
| 30 | Venusaur | 38032 | 7.070%

Rain gets Tornadus-T, Thundurus-T, Genesect, and Keldeo, but decreases.
Sun gets basically nothing, yet Ninetales/Venusaur increases and Heatran holds #5 spot.

Another part is that when players go to make teams or fill slots, they'll consult the list of Pokemon in that tier rather than, say, the list of all Pokemon who have Smogon analyses (and thus must be somewhat viable) for that tier.
Is there an easily-accessible list of these somewhere? If not, it would probably help mitigate this problem. It could also be implemented into PS's suggestions.

well i guess i'll have an excuse to try 5th gen UU soon. <_< i'm stunned we didn't see a big rain-boost this month - literally EVERYONE new is either made for rain or at least gets some benefit from it (fire weakness for Genesect, Serene Grace Thunder for Meloetta)

| 45 | Latias | 27726 | 5.154% | 21516 | 4.939% | | 46 | Keldeo | 27190 | 5.054% | 20558 | 4.719% |

These two really shock me. It feels I see Latias alot more often than these stats would make it seem. Also, Keldeo is such an awesome Pokemon, it truly is a crime that it doesnt see more usage.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Wait a minute, did PS glitch up with Zoroark again? Sure looks like it:
| 42 | Zoroark | 7054 | 6.103% | 1366 | 1.425% |
That's one big difference between use and realuse.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is any "sand" team defined as having tyranitar or hippowdon, or those plus an abuser. I've used many teams with tyranitar alone just to check weather, and wouldn't really consider it a sand team.

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
My guess would be that it only counts for real use if Zoroark takes damage and is thus revealed as being such.

My guess would be that it only counts for real use if Zoroark takes damage and is thus revealed as being such.
It's definitely possible, but IIRC PS logs aren't "fooled" by Illusion.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Looking at the percentages, not the placing, and it seems a bit disconcerning. Ninetales dropped six spots, from what - 11% to 10%? The top 20-25 are being used much more than most things. I'm not really sure if this is how they normally are, but after you hit about number 35, things just stop being used. The top 10 looks like it's never going to change, with everything taking just about an equal share.

Interesting to see Breloom in the top 10 (go Techiniloom)...also Genesect will be top 10 soon, if not number 1 (or maybe 2, freaking frog)...and why aren't people using keldeo? That thing is amazing! It's better than Metagross, that's for sure. I think people just use metagross out of some kind of misguided loyalty or nostalgia because it is NOT a good poke.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
| 63 | Aron | 809 | 1.477% | 670 | 1.528% |

This in Ubers. What person is using Aron that much? Just wow.

Anyway, looking foward to UU Virizion next month!

Thank jesus Virizion is dropping. I mean, is not bad but with Rain and Tornadus-T decimating Grass-types, Virizion has a really hard time fitting in this new Metagame.

Genesect was released like 2 weeks ago and is #14. That's incredible.

UU is about to get really interesting. I love Metagross, but he isn't all that great this generation. If only he got shift gear or some sort of equivalent to Dragon Dance. Oh well.

Kingdra might actually break into OU. Not sure on how I feel about this. I love Kingdra, but I don't think he'll be all that great in OU. =/

| 97 | Azumarill | 6218 | 1.156% | 4881 | 1.120% |
=( Poor Azumarill. He's a great pokemon in rain. His Aqua Jet has the same BP as Breloom's Mach Punch and Scizor's Bullet Punch.

Balanced Hackmons:
| 16 | Swinub | 548 | 9.699% | 169 | 4.430% |

^^^ FEAR Swinub is used more than Reshiram... wow...

UnderUsed:
| 1 | Heracross | 23333 | 20.186% | 18451 | 19.252% |
| 2 | Roserade | 21674 | 18.751% | 17711 | 18.480% |

All hail the new king of UU! Heracross really deserves a spot in OU, but this'll do for now! :)

UU is about to get really interesting. I love Metagross, but he isn't all that great this generation. If only he got shift gear or some sort of equivalent to Dragon Dance. Oh well.

Kingdra might actually break into OU. Not sure on how I feel about this. I love Kingdra, but I don't think he'll be all that great in OU. =/
Kingdra's main use is as a great weapon AGAINST Rain Teams. It destroys Politoed, Keldeo, and Rain Sweeper Dragonite (after Stealth Rocks) with its Draco Meteor, and has a fantastic typing that makes it difficult to kill with some bulk investment.

As for UU, Metagross is up in usage from last month IIRC. Certianly, it;s not low enough to go to UU unless it goes down another 2% or so, which I doubt will happen. He's just too good against Outraging dragons for that to happen, IMO. Reuniclus, on the other hand, it very close to UU-lvel usage, so if that goes down, you can be sure Escavalier's usage will soar in UU if Reuni goes down.

| 97 | Azumarill | 6218 | 1.156% | 4881 | 1.120% |
=( Poor Azumarill. He's a great pokemon in rain. His Aqua Jet has the same BP as Breloom's Mach Punch and Scizor's Bullet Punch.
A Choice Band Aqua Jet on rain is actually stronger. Azumarill hits over 600 while both Breloom and Scizor hit 594 IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)