1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Data Official Smogon University Usage Statistics Discussion Thread, mk.2

Discussion in 'Smogon Metagames' started by Antar, Jun 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antar

Antar
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributor
    Official Data Miner

Believe it or not, there are some players with Glicko ratings so low, they don't have a 1.0 weight, even with the 0 cutoff. 0 is "roughly" unweighted, but maybe in the future I'll do *actually* unweighted. That being said, where do you see non-integers?

Regarding the discrepancy between the usage stats and detailed stats, this is due to the fact that the usage stats remove all battles with less than six turns while the detailed stats do not. This is an oversight, and I'll correct it for the next month.
    QxC4eva likes this.
  2. QxC4eva

QxC4eva
    is a Pre-Contributor

3. Imran

Imran
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Thanks, additionally, are the lead stats generated from something other than the chaos file? I can't see anything in it that suggests that you can derive the lead stats.

I would suggest the same is true of Mega forms and your metagame analysis, but am less confident asserting those. I assume there's no further public data source at this stage that gives access to information like that?
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  4. Antar

Antar
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributor
    Official Data Miner

I'll have to see what's going on there.

Mega analysis is easily derived from the chaos files (mega stone incidence percentage x usage). The rest are not.
  5. GOthee

GOthee

Thee tiers cutoffs are based on 3 month statistics right? , where are these statistics? i can only find January statistics here: http://www.smogon.com/stats/
  6. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

GOthee, what are you talking about? December and November are there as well.
    pwnémon likes this.
  7. QxC4eva

QxC4eva
    is a Pre-Contributor

November 2014 stats had Pikachu cosplay formes in it but not December or Jan. What happened there?
  8. Ramplestilskin

Ramplestilskin

Hana-Lyse, QxC4eva and Antar like this.
  9. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

10. Tiniodfluflu

Tiniodfluflu

would it be possible to alias +20% items against the respective plates (ex: sky plate and sharp beak) as they are functionally equivalent on non-arceus?
  11. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

Sleepless and SparksBlade like this.
  12. Enki

Enki
    is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Thanks for the stats Antar!
    I was wondering, will we ever get back the "changes folder" like we used to before Showdown had problems back in november? On OU this month there are some incredible changes, like for example Garchomp and Bisharp, it would be very useful to analyze precisely how much certain 'mons gained or lost usage and better understand metagame's trends.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    Slimmer, Trinitrotoluene and Elise like this.
  13. Toljik

Toljik

I was looking through OU's April 1825 stats and found this EV spread for Aggron:

Adamant:96/0/0/252/0/20 3.064%

Somehow that spread seems unlikely. Is there an issue with how usage stats are counted that would explain this? Did a high level player put that in by accident and laddered with it?
  14. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

Toljik,

So we're dealing with really small numbers here. But I did check--it was one player with Glicko rating in the high 1700s who used that Aggron build 15 times.
    Swede, Toljik and Ununhexium like this.
  15. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

Thanks to Fusxfaranto for preparing this month's usage stats! I'm training him as my backup/replacement in case I ever get run over by a truck, and he did an amazing job this month.
  16. LawofDeath

LawofDeath

Too Bad hackmons is still to be missed. And om of the month are shared very late. Why did pg little cup get special treatment?
  17. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

What do you mean? BH stats are up, anf Hackmons itself hasn't had a ladder in months.
    These stats went up at the same time as all the others...
    The PGL Little Cup ladder went up largely to facilitate teambuilding for the event. I posted interrim stats early so that players could use them to prepare, considering the competition ended before the end of the month.
  18. LawofDeath

LawofDeath

Yeah I was referring to Hackmons not Balanced hackmons. I love the statistics given in Balanced hackmons and greatly appreciate it. Everything I posted is not really a monthly problem but moreso of a yearly problem to me. OMotM are usually given in every month after it's completely over, which (for myself at least) ruins the use of it since the the tier's time is already over. It'll be great if statistics of these temporary tiers can be given before it's completely over. the PGL timing was great, it was used for an event that seemingly ends, same can be applied to OMotM's too.

Back to hackmons, I suppose you're right, I haven't noticed it was completely gone now, just always wanted to be prepared to view when the time came around. But during those times it was around, hackmons was completely dismissed along with Balanced hackmons during these statistics at one point, was a little unfair in my book. I apologize for expecting statistics on Hackmons when it's currently not even around. I haven't played much of the laddering but I always hang around in tournament chat to participate and greatly make use of each tier by using these statistics to make a good time, unfortunately when OMotM's are hosted I would get hammered with little knowledge to refer to (like just now with Linked). It's also a bit of a disappointment that statistics from past years suddenly just vanished, would have been a decent reference to go back to.
  19. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

Hackmons/BH didn't get usage stats during that period because the tiers weren't compatible with my analysis scripts--the fact that you could use Megas without stones broke a bunch of things. By the time I had time to write a workaround (keep in mind: I have a full-time job, a wife and kid, so it's not like I have an overabundance of free time), Hackmons had been discontinued.
    MikeDawg likes this.
  20. Swede

Swede

Theoretically, would a Pokemon that gains over ~3.41% usage over the three months in a tier two spots over its current tiers (such as UU is to NU), but not enough usage in the tier directly above it, jump to the tier it gained the ~3.41%, or the tier directly above? Or would it not move at all?
  21. Golden009

Golden009

iirc, it wouldn't move at all.
  22. Snobalt

Snobalt Funny when you're dead how people start listening
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Golden009, that's incorrect.

SwedishBiscuit, it would jump to the tier it got usage in. For example, if Samurott ends up with 3.41% combined usage in UU, it'll rise from NU to UU next tier shift. (Just an example; Samurottt isn't going anywhere lol)
    thesecondbest and Golden009 like this.
  23. Golden009

Golden009

Oh, okay. I'm not sure where I got my information, but I guess it makes sense.

SwedishBiscuit, sorry about that.
    Snobalt likes this.
  24. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

25. Ununhexium

Ununhexium dog
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Stratos
    | 36 | Dragonite | 4.65662% | 10710 | 6.057% | 0 | 0.000% |
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)