1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Data Official Smogon University Usage Statistics Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Competitive Discussion' started by Antar, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duhre

Duhre

Hey Antar,

Have you considered conducting some statistical tests? For example, one could test if teams with Mega Charizard X win more than teams with Mega Charizard Y; or whether it is better to run move X or move Y on a given pokemon. That is, assuming you have data on win/loss, which you probably do.
  2. Antar

Antar
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributor
    Official Data Miner

Duhre, win-loss is a meaningless metric due to the fact that PS uses matchmaking. Unless you've got a team that's very good or very bad, your win-loss ratio probably doesn't change much from tier to tier, even though your rating probably changes drastically. That's because the better you are, the better the opponents you'll be matched against. So the only thing is *makes sense* to look at is whether rating correlates with usage, and you get that from "avg. weight."
  3. Duhre

Duhre

Antar, I see your point about the win-loss ratio and avg. weight. Just to clarify, "avg. weight" is the average weight of all players who used a given pokemon, right? So, since Aegislash has an avg. weight bigger than Charizard, can I say that the players using Aegislash are, on average, higher ranked than the ones using Charizard?
  4. ChrisTehAwesome

ChrisTehAwesome

what is the difference between ou_0.0.txt and ou.txt ?
  5. Magnemite

Magnemite is a polish dancer
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

The former uses a baseline of 0 (as opposed to 1760 or 1695 or whatever), while the latter uses a baseline of 1500 (these are the stats we used for tiering before March 2014).
    ChrisTehAwesome and Antar like this.
  6. Antar

Antar
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributor
    Official Data Miner

Correct.
  7. G-Von

G-Von

Is there a section within the moveset stats where there are mega only stats? I feel like they used to exist but I cannot find them ATM.
  8. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

9. G-Von

G-Von

No moveset stats though :[ I was hoping to see what the most popular moves were among certain megas that are also viable in OU w/o mega evolving. thanks anyway Antar.
  10. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

G-Von, oh, gotcha. No. I'm not going down that route. Mega stones are just items. If I don't provide data on what the most common spreads are for Scarf Terrakion vs. LO Terrakion are, I can't justify doing it for megas.

And, for the record, I would *love* to provide detailed cross-correlation statistics like that. But I don't do this full-time, so I have to prioritize what projects I pursue.
    Piexplode and G-Von like this.
  11. galbia

galbia Tette
    is an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

• Click Start -> Administrative Tools -> Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
    • Click on Inbound Rules
    • In Actions panel -> click New Rule...
    • In New Inbound Rule Wizard..
    • In Rule Type -> select "Port" -> Next
    • In Protocol and Ports -> select "TCP" -> select Specific local ports: "8080" -> Next
    • In Action -> select "Allow the connection"
    • In Profile -> select "Domain", "Private" and "Public"
    • In Name -> Give a suitable name to identify your rule e.g.: "World Wide Web Services (HTTP 8080 Traffic-In)"
    This is how to access Local servers like the one listed in the OP if your Browser doesn't load them Antar
  12. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

galbia, I think that only fixes the issue if your computer's firewall is blocking the port. If the problem is that your office / university blocks the port, I don't think you can do anything about it.
  13. galbia

galbia Tette
    is an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Oh yea that's true. This might solve some people's problem tho c:
  14. I_am_A_Garchomp

I_am_A_Garchomp

Quick question.
    Where can I find the "team types"? On the threads, you could see what type of teams were popular. Where is this?
  15. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

16. Patrick1088

Patrick1088

Where can we find the movesets that were used for the past month?
  17. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

18. Patrick1088

Patrick1088

19. Calm_Mind_Latias

Calm_Mind_Latias

20. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

Calm_Mind_Latias it's there. Try searching for "Landorus " (Lando plus two spaces). Note that it's listed under Landorus, not Landorus-I nor Landorus-Incarnate.
    Calm_Mind_Latias likes this.
  21. Calm_Mind_Latias

Calm_Mind_Latias

I apologize... i guess i was surprised that nidoking had more raw usage than Lando-I.

I should have used the weighted stats as I gave up when I saw Nidoking using the "sheer force" query (and my mind did not see between Nidoking and Darmantan).
  22. Kit Kasai

Kit Kasai

Are there still usage stats for Hackmons and Balanced Hackmons? I can't seem to find them.
  23. Pyritie

Pyritie

see

24. Sergeant Spooky

Sergeant Spooky

25. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

Stats not for several days. Tier update tonight or tomorrow morning.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)