Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Videogame Showdown organizers spawn from the Pokemon TCG organizers. They're the same people. Japan has its independent organized play, run by whoever it is, but the Videogame Showdown AND the Pokemon TCG World Championships (the events that took place in Orlando and next year in San Diego) are both run by PUI.
Thank you, that clarifies things up a bit.

@Clear, seeing as the VGS last year and JAA a little while before that both used the doubles format, as well as the recent tournaments in Japan, coming up with a viable 2v2 strategy should be a top priority.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
All of them are Hyogo champion vs chalengers.

34-16068-41211
71-58349-80880
83-49091-31068

Interestingly, at the second video, champion lost the game against goodstuff. Chalenger's team is ambipom/zapdos/cresselia/salamance(champion used the team which won the tournament).
It is believed that raindance team can deal with goodstuff so his team is not a good model. Though the popularity of raindance team is remarkable.
Thanks for sharing micuat. Platinum Battle Recorder is <3

The third match was so epic! Fantastic battle-- the end is just trippy. Don't want to spoil it for those planning to watch. I got to say after looking through these vids, Doubles looks really exciting.

ah, though I guess I'd admit I'd like to see an official 6 v. 6 single tourney, because to me tradition should be valued.

Yep, you have to have Platinum in order to view it. Someone can watch on their Platinum and then upload it to Youtube. That is how zerowing got the finals match up. :)

man i wish i had platinum but im waiting for US release. do you think thats too late too wait for if im intrested in entering the showdown?

Yes, that is probably what will happen. Since the tournament is a Platinum only affair, it would make sense to have Platinum out here in America well before the qualifiers.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'll watch those videos later, if any of them seem interesting or have some unique teams I'll record and upload it.

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Zerowing, are you going to be a tutor in this Tutor/Aprentice round? I'm gonna sign up as an apprentice and your one of the people that seems like an awesome tutor.

I'm guessing Canada will be excluded from this year's as well, seeing that we will not be receiving the special Dragonite, which, as far as I'm aware, is only being released to give US players an equal playing field for the tournament.

PBB, you made a comment about Hyogo's qualifier using Toxic-Kingdra in the other thread. If you look over his team, you'll notice he has nothing capable of damaging Shedinja, thus, Toxic is necessary.

I've heard of Hidden Power Ghost Electrics, but throwing HP on a lead Jolteon wouldn't exactly solve the problem, since a skilled Shedinja player would never send out their trump card on the first turn.

I was just wondering if anyone knew a good counter to that combo. Maybe something with the Inner Focus, and something to take outJolteon Fast.

then maybe something to take out Metagross and the other Pokemon

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If you guys are thinking that L50 legends and Dragonite are useless, you're a bit off. You can EV train them as normal, then use the Box Trick to apply EVs to your guys. Unlike previously thought, the trick works at any level except 100. So yeah.

one more thing: Item Clause, is it turned on?

If you guys are thinking that L50 legends and Dragonite are useless, you're a bit off. You can EV train them as normal, then use the Box Trick to apply EVs to your guys. Unlike previously thought, the trick works at any level except 100. So yeah.
Just feed them Vitamins and fight weak shrimps like Gastly for SA, Magikarp for Speed, Krickercrap/Bibarel for Atk.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also, adding to Chris' point, using any EV modifying item on the pokemon causes the EVs to reset to their actual levels. This is because the game calculates the points gained in each of the stats whenever EVs are modified outside of battle. So you can use a Hondew berry to attempt to reduce your Dragonite's non-existent SpA EVs, and in trying to do so you will make all the other EVs you have given him take effect.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
one more thing: Item Clause, is it turned on?

Just feed them Vitamins and fight weak shrimps like Gastly for SA, Magikarp for Speed, Krickercrap/Bibarel for Atk.
Item clause was on for last years, I'm not expecting any changes.

Sounds pretty good. Hopefully we can represent the cream of the crop a bit better this time. I think we're a bit more prepared for our homework.

And I agree with Lexx. I hope they have some method of filtering out all the novice players. An extremely complicated quiz/smaller tournaments are the first things that come to my mind. The former seems much more practical.

Dunno, my thoughts are a bit stranger and wider than most so some of those methods might stop people who think really outside of the box from getting through... Exploding Blisseys anyone?

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Dunno, my thoughts are a bit stranger and wider than most so some of those methods might stop people who think really outside of the box from getting through... Exploding Blisseys anyone?
Expolding Blissey? I have to say, that would really surprise me.

Stupid Nintendo for not knowing their game... hmmm, it is still pick 4 from the 6?

May be you guys who know can list the clauses turned on for me see what teams should I build.
It was basically Double Cups rules,
level 50, item clause, species clause, and it didn't really have to be pick 4 from the 6, since you didn't exactly need 6.. just... four

This is why all leads were usually holding Lum or Chesto last year; Dark Void is just evil if there is no Sleep Clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)