Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have ideas for Grumpig and Porygon2... it's doable with Magic Coat.

How I wish there was an attack called "Follow Him".

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Porygon 2 is a pretty decent user of Trick Room, and it can use its Trace to send back any Gyarados or Salamence Intimidates. It also learns Discharge, which could be useful somehow (of course not with Trick Room as well).
Meh, I dunno much about doubles, but it sounds usable.

I have ideas for Grumpig and Porygon2... it's doable with Magic Coat.
I tested this, and if the foe uses Dark Void on the same turn that you use Magic Coat, only the Pokémon who used these moves receive the effect; i.e., one of the foe's Pokémon would not fall asleep and one of yours would.

Don't know how worried you should be about it, considering iirc last time there were very very few Obi-Mode Teams, since most people who knew about it, instead of creating that team, created a counter for that team instead, so there was a mass of anti Obi-Mode Teams out there, although, atleast my team was anti Trick Room so, it sort of blocks Obi-Mode... then again.. I might need to apply a bunch of changes.. due to Hypnosis' accuracy dropping to 60... and that being a way for me to stop Smeargles...

I'm doing a project now that always pull off Trick Room no matter what, I just need a good Trick Room partner. The only thing that will stop it is a Water Spout coming from a Kyogre, and may be Tyranitar, neither of are in this tournament.

And if you don't know what I'm using yet, you need to know your Pokemon a little more, it's so obvious.

I'm thinking of Porygon2 so far, since Trace Gyarados/Salamence is win, but Grumpig with her Thick Fat is welcoming too. I tried Bronzong, it's too obvious and people see Explosion coming a mile away.

One question, judging from teams shown so far, is Protect really popular?

I'm doing a project now that always pull off Trick Room no matter what, I just need a good Trick Room partner. The only thing that will stop it is a Water Spout coming from a Kyogre, and may be Tyranitar, neither of are in this tournament.

And if you don't know what I'm using yet, you need to know your Pokemon a little more, it's so obvious.

I'm thinking of Porygon2 so far, since Trace Gyarados/Salamence is win, but Grumpig with her Thick Fat is welcoming too. I tried Bronzong, it's too obvious and people see Explosion coming a mile away.

One question, judging from teams shown so far, is Protect really popular?
haha... it's nearly impossible to "always" pull off a Trick Room, but I guess a good partner would definately be a Taunter, and yes Protect was pretty common, as was Explosion

oh, it would seem I somehow mislead you... oh well.

I already HAVE someone to partner someone with a Trick Room user, thanks to Platinum inplements, she became even better. I would almost always pull it off, unless something extremely retarded happens.

I guess I could always try everything, Banette seems good right now since my only worry for wrecking Destiny Bond is auto-weather Obamasnow and Hippowdon, which no one is sane enough to run (Hippowdon, his S.Def just can't cut it in Doubles).

Here's my question, Thunderbolt for Gyarados on Banette, yes or no. If I do that however, Shedinja WILL eat me alive. My partner may be able to take care of it but...

How can people help you if they don't know your full team/strategy and other pertinent information? ...

Banette... is a tad too frail isn't it? 64/65/63 it's probably going to get KO'd before it can set up Trick Room... and Shedinja would run you through..? strange that you'd drop a STAB for Thunderbolt... although there could be something behind it...

all you have to know is that I would be able to get out Trick Room, first turn, 98% of the time. There is so little anyone can do about it.

Seriously people, think of all the counters for Trick Room so far. Actually, list them for me, let me see if there is anything I missed. If they say there will be no tournament in Canada, I'll go ahead and give it away to people using TR teams for their tourneys.

Any Ghost would give Banette's partner trouble, of course, Banette being a ghost means trouble for her too.

Is there any popular leads out there I should know?

One more thing, nothing to do with my leads. Would a Max +Atk Nature Metagross's Earthquake OHKO a Heatran with Shuca Berry?

EDIT: It would seemed you guys have somewhat talked about my "partner" in Doubles Analysis, either most of the players in the tournament got unlucky, or are complete idiots to let a team with Ludicolo/Jolteon Rain lead make it to the finals. Not to say it's a bad team though.

Kagoshima tournament has finished.
battle video(semi final):57-53008-50454
His opponent became the champion.

The winners team is,
Bronzong(levitate) @
Trick Room/Iron Head/Sandstorm/

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry
Follow Me/

Rhyperior @
Earthquake/Stone Edge/

Metagross @

and the second's team is Azelf/Dusknoir/Snorlax/Metagross

He hasn't revealed detail of his team even of the battle video of the final, so we have to tell them only from the battle video.

well, looks like my combo is actually pretty good after all.

Togekiss with Follow Me paired up with a Trick Roomer, only Imprison with Trick Room or 2 Multi-target moves that kills both Pokemon will kill it.

Problem with his combo is that unless his Bronzong is Sassy, Max S. Def, he may or may not survive an Eruption from Typhlosion first turn with Jolteon setting up Sunny Day.

It would seem I may be should buff up Banette's defenses for her to survive... anything twice. Since there is no multi-targetting Dark or Ghost moves, she should be fine.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Thanks a lot for all the info micuat! And the Bronzong also has Sandstorm in the video that you posted.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'll be doing a mass watching/recording tonight, with the 3 or so games from last weeks tournament and that game just posted today.

well, looks like my combo is actually pretty good after all.

Togekiss with Follow Me paired up with a Trick Roomer, only Imprison with Trick Room or 2 Multi-target moves that kills both Pokemon will kill it.

Problem with his combo is that unless his Bronzong is Sassy, Max S. Def, he may or may not survive an Eruption from Typhlosion first turn with Jolteon setting up Sunny Day.

It would seem I may be should buff up Banette's defenses for her to survive... anything twice. Since there is no multi-targetting Dark or Ghost moves, she should be fine.
Ah, yes.. I was with a friend who used that strategy... sadly he battled me before we were up for our matches... so he ended up messing up really badly. Also, you can still be stopped by an opposing Trick Room that cancels your own, or sets up and gets cancelled by yours.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I recorded 2 of the matches, one of the Hyogo Champion vs a Challenger and the Kagoshima Semis.

I'm going to say after watching some of these videos, I'm really surprised by Hydro Pump being used over Surf, seems like one of those Japanese things since every United States Rain team I have seen was just a barrage of Surf.

EDIT: Excuse the quality but I've been messing with the encoding and format.

Well, Hydro Pump does have the advantage of being both more powerful and single-targeting (and not having overall damage reduced), as opposed to Surf. In a way, it's not as limiting also, since if you do want Surf, you have to make sure your partner can either take the hit as well or has Protect. And of course, there's always the fun risk of your opponent switching in something with Water Absorb as well.

Also, thanks for uploading the videos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)