Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmm, I'm really unsure what to expect.. I'd imagine quite a bit of Explosion / Destiny Bond spamming, as well as moves that hit both/all Pokémon. However, I do think there'll be plenty of people there who know what they're doing - without even including us Smogon members.

I've got my train tickets now :) so I'll definitely be there, I just hope I get chosen..

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
I agree, TR won't be that popular imo.
I completely disagree. If anything it should be more popular. Hypnosis' accuracy is 70 in D/P so using Bronzong instead of Dusknoir becomes much more viable. By using Hypnosis Bronzong, this also makes Dark Void Smeargle more effective since Bronzong's Hypnosis can get rid of any sleep cure berries while Dark Void sleeps them. I think Trick Room is one of the best strategies, if not dominant, because most of the teams that will beat TR consistantly will lose to any other well constructed team. A goodstuff team is as good as it's going to get if you don't want to use Trick Room, because it does stand a chance at beating Trick Room, and it can beat all of the other well constructed teams like other Goodstuff teams, hail, rain, etc.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I completely disagree. If anything it should be more popular. Hypnosis' accuracy is 70 in D/P so using Bronzong instead of Dusknoir becomes much more viable. By using Hypnosis Bronzong, this also makes Dark Void Smeargle more effective since Bronzong's Hypnosis can get rid of any sleep cure berries while Dark Void sleeps them. I think Trick Room is one of the best strategies, if not dominant, because most of the teams that will beat TR consistantly will lose to any other well constructed team. A goodstuff team is as good as it's going to get if you don't want to use Trick Room, because it does stand a chance at beating Trick Room, and it can beat all of the other well constructed teams like other Goodstuff teams, hail, rain, etc.
I assume the thinking behind it is that less players at the European tournaments will know what they're doing.. But if there is anyone clever and knows about EVs / IVs / real compeititve battling, they might be smart enough to use the likes of Trick Room and Hypnosis. Things like Crobat with Taunt and Hypnosis will be better here, too.

Hmm, I'm really unsure what to expect.. I'd imagine quite a bit of Explosion / Destiny Bond spamming, as well as moves that hit both/all Pokémon. However, I do think there'll be plenty of people there who know what they're doing - without even including us Smogon members.

I've got my train tickets now :) so I'll definitely be there, I just hope I get chosen..
got my train tickets to london also, im guessing there be a mix of abilities. I just hope everyone who does turn up gets a chance to battle, as heard in the US events people got turned away :(. Ive got a couple of teams ready, but definately Taunt will be on my list to shut teams from setting up lol

I assume the thinking behind it is that less players at the European tournaments will know what they're doing.. But if there is anyone clever and knows about EVs / IVs / real compeititve battling, they might be smart enough to use the likes of Trick Room and Hypnosis. Things like Crobat with Taunt and Hypnosis will be better here, too.
I know quite a few people who EV/IV so we'll have quite a bit of competition at London :P.

yeah, the first 2 opponents I faced knew nothing about EVs, the third guy knew EV's and Ivs, but told me didn't bother IV Breeding. It only gets to become real competition when it enters Top 16.

Deleted User 33526

Banned deucer.
I disagree with people saying that a team built to counter TR can't counter anything else. My team can counter both TR and RD. I lost to the only goodstuff team due to 3 critical hits against me. So it is not impossible but just hard to pull off.

Yeah, but it all depends on what the user of the BellyLax thinks. Also, just so you know, the BellyLax gets owned by the Machamp/Lapras team, as they are anti-TR.

There's a video online that you can see on your DS I think, it's a team w/ BellyLax and Gross iirc. It got annihilated fyi, and the guy using it was a guy named Greg.

Might one be able to explain to me how this works?

I've seen a couple people post about prediction being really important in 2v2, and I would say that's somewhat of an overstatement. I think more than anything, team building is the most important part of 2v2. Unlike standard, it's hard to wriggle your way out of a bad situation by making good switches and moves. The main part of prediction is knowing what your opponent will do (obviously), but in doubles, even if you know what's coming, it can be hard to stop it effectively. For example, if you see a Smeargle and Dusknoir, you know what's coming next, but unless you have a lead that can stop it, it'll probably be able to hurt you even if you can "predict" your opponents next 3 moves. Same goes for some other strategies. This is where building a strong team comes in: in this case, one that can stop this combination while being prepared to defeat other common strategies while executing its own.

That's what I've concluded based on my experience, anyway.

Deleted User 33526

Banned deucer.
Hey to anyone who participated in a VGC.
Do they have any type of glue on the wristbands? Because my friend wants to give me his spot if his # gets called.

Do they have any type of glue on the wristbands? Because my friend wants to give me his spot if his # gets called.
It's probably like those kinds that you get a like a carnival, they're probably just taped. I remember because I think someone tried doing that at JAA.

Thanks guys. This is helpful. So taunt is the enemy of TR. But follow me should fix that. If taunted, does switching out get rid of taunts effect? Then again since it is doubles switching might not be good...Hmm.
Since Taunt is perhaps the best way of stopping a TR team from setting up, why don't more TR teams rely on Follow Me instead of Fake Out? Granted, Fake Out is can also stop the opposing teams from setting up...but Follow Me pretty much guarantees your setup - which every TR team requires to function.

I agree with Diesel, Trick Room with Lax and/or Smeargle is good, but I wouldn't call it dominant? I mean, Goodstuffs has to be just as popular, if not more in Japan, kinda interesting we haven't seen any of them mimic'ed en mass.
Goodstuffs is just spamming strong Pokemon and brute forcing into a win before the opponent can set-up?

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
TR teams involving Dusknoir and Smeargle do rely(Not really rely though, it's there more for backup against various taunters, ghosts, inner focus Pokemon, etc) on Follow Me. Smeargle carries both Fake Out and Follow Me so it can almost always make sure TR is set up. If you mean why TR teams don't use Follow Me users like Clefable or Togekiss, it's because they aren't really much of a threat under TR.

Since Taunt is perhaps the best way of stopping a TR team from setting up, why don't more TR teams rely on Follow Me instead of Fake Out? Granted, Fake Out is can also stop the opposing teams from setting up...but Follow Me pretty much guarantees your setup - which every TR team requires to function.

Goodstuffs is just spamming strong Pokemon and brute forcing into a win before the opponent can set-up?
Yeah, Follow Me enables the user to setup 100 % under most circumstances, but most people just want to Fake Out since they think that if they do so, they have a chance of taking out a Sashed Pokemon, or stopping them from taunting, which are both useless with Follow Me. I used a double taunting team, though all the people I've faced have used Fake Out first, one or two using Dark Void, but never have I seen Follow Me. Maybe Taunt doesn't get affected by Follow Me, I have yet to test that out.

Sorry dude, but your friend would be doing a favor by not entering at all. The wristbands cannot be taken off, if done so, you can't participate. It's either you get in or you don't, no exceptions.

@Siddarth

Taunt is affected by follow me. If you had two taunter leads and one of your foe uses follow me, both taunts will target the follow me user.

I'll be in Paris, if someone want test battles pm me. In this battles i won't be using my team because i already have tested it. I'll be testing other teams, but all practice is welcome right?

@Siddarth

Taunt is affected by follow me. If you had two taunter leads and one of your foe uses follow me, both taunts will target the follow me user.

I'll be in Paris, if someone want test battles pm me. In this battles i won't be using my team because i already have tested it. I'll be testing other teams, but all practice is welcome right?
Oh, yeah. Oh wait, I think I might know why Smeargle users don't use Follow Me. When they do so, and one Pokemon taunts, it cant use DarkVoid and can get countered in by Ghost Pokemon, making Endeavor useless and a priority move user take it out without having damage inflicted on itself. Not too mention they might have one of their Pokes killed on the switch-inn, if both Pokemon targetted Smeargle.

Yeah, Follow Me enables the user to setup 100 % under most circumstances, but most people just want to Fake Out since they think that if they do so, they have a chance of taking out a Sashed Pokemon, or stopping them from taunting, which are both useless with Follow Me. I used a double taunting team, though all the people I've faced have used Fake Out first, one or two using Dark Void, but never have I seen Follow Me. Maybe Taunt doesn't get affected by Follow Me, I have yet to test that out.
Taunt is affected by Follow Me, and it will target Smeargle if he uses it. He won't be able to use Follow Me again, but for a TR lead, he only needs to do it once.

Follow Me + Trick Room can only really be stopped by hitting Smeargle with a Multi-Hit move, which would let your taunting pokemon target Dusknoir. Another way is just letting loose with two really strong spread attacks, and hoping Dusknoir is killed by them. Both of these ways of dealing with Follow Me can usually be stopped by using Fake Out.

If your opponent uses damaging moves instead of taunt, smeargle will be defeated in the first turn, and if they use taunt, smeargle will be crippled off, but Trick Room is set and this is the main purpose of Smeargle, so you will have failed

If your opponent uses damaging moves instead of taunt, smeargle will be defeated in the first turn, and if they use taunt, smeargle will be crippled off, but Trick Room is set and this is the main purpose of Smeargle, so you will have failed
only real absolute solution is to have attacks hit both pokemon at once and hope for a double ko or a flinch on dusknoir/trick-room user

only real absolute solution is to have attacks hit both pokemon at once and hope for a double ko or a flinch on dusknoir/trick-room user
There are more ways to stop it, i don't want to tell you what this ways are because i don't want to reveal my team, but if you are highly interested on it, we can battle to show you this ways...

Woah, today's batpig's Birthday, three days right after the VGC tournament. I guess his plaque was his birthday present!

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaCKKKKK!!!

So, I am currently EV training the last poke of the 6 I'll use for the VGC. However, it just now occurred to me that I may, in fact, have a serious problem on my hand...or not...

2 of my pokes on my team were bred from parents that were both from random people on the GTS and I got 1 white herb from there too. I don't know if they were legitimate or not!!!

I've never used a "Gameshark", "Pokesav", or whatever on my DS, or my cartridge, and I've never used the GTS on my Platinum cartridge. The parents stats and moves were all in order. All the breeding and trading took place on my Pear cartridge. Every single poke on my Platinum cartridge was caught in Platinum, or bred by me in Pearl and then traded to Platinum from 1 DS to the other.

Do I have any reason to worry about the 2 pokes that I bred whos parents were of ambiguous origin?

Do I have any reason to worry about the 1 White Herb that is of ambiguous origin?

I'm just concerned that I'll actually get to the finals and be disqualified because of 1 shifty item and 2 pokes with shifty parents?!?!?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)