Oh, look! A baton pass team!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! Thats my new team. Like you see, it´s a baton pass team. I dont know much about Baton Pass Teams, so I think its not soo good.

Ninjask @Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Atk / 184 Def / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk / -SpA)
~Protect
~Substitute
~X-Scissor
~Baton Pass

The classical Baton Pass starter. With 24 Spe EVs, Ninjask can overspeed everything with 115 Base Speed with a choice Scarf, after one speed Boost.

The Protect/Substitute Combo is really cool. With Protect/Substitute I often get very many Spe Boosts. X-Scissor to attack.

Smeargle @Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 96 HP / 120 Def / 40 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe / -SpA)
~Spore
~Ingrain
~Belly Drum
~Baton Pass

After a few Speed Boosts fast enough to overspeed many. So it can sleep over Pokemon, use ingrain, so Whirlwind and Roar is useless against my team. Then, Belly drum and baton pass to the next Pokemon.

Umbreon @Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 92 SpD / 164 Spe
Careful Nature
~Mean Look
~Wish
~Baton Pass
~Taunt

Mean Look Passer. Also a Wisher together with Vaporeon. When I can use Mean Look against a Wall like Blissey or Skarmory, my chain is unbreakable.^^

Celebi @Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Timid Nature (+Spe / -SpA)
~Calm Mind
~Grass Knot
~Recover
~Baton Pass

Calm-Mind passer. The EV-Split maximizes the stayingpower. Grass Knot is a needed Stab.

Vaporeon @Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Def / 128 Spe
Bold Nature (+Def / -Atk)
~Acid Armor
~Wish
~Baton Pass
~Surf

Def Boost Passer. Together with Umbreon, it can heal my team very well.

Metagross @Lum Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 124 SpA / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk / -SpA)
~Meteor Mash
~Earthquake
~Shadow Ball
~Grass Knot

Finisher. Mixed-Meta rockz xD
A really good finisher. Sandstorm Immunity, TSpikes immunity, and amazing coverage. I think, theres not much to say.^^

So... 3... 2... 1... r8!​

Lucario > Metagross as a finisher. Meteor Mash is unsuitable for a finisher as it has 85% accuracy. Also, his special attack is hardly worth using.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk /4 Def/252 Spd
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Crunch
- Thunderpunch

IIRC this OHKOs every Pokemon OU with 100% accuracy moves assuming you pass +6 attack (might be a slightly different moveset--check the BP guide on the site for an example set). With some speed it really isn't threatened by anything other than Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave.

I would say to replace Celebi with Gorebyss or some other Amnesia passer (Furret ftw? kidding of course, but I would give you major props...), since you don't need to pass SAtk with Lucario. You can also potentially set up Aqua Ring, which rids Lucario of that nasty Life Orb damage and can save your chain in a pinch, but honestly it doesn't work all the time.

Consider Umbreon as your lead. You won't have speed boosts from move one, but you will have your opponent trapped from turn one (a lot of people will switch in a Taunter/phazer/priority user when they see Ninjask leads, and you will lose to every one of them).

Speaking of which, Umbreon also brings in Taunters and Phazers, so if you Mean Look on the switch there's still a potential to lose. Some chains run a non-Baton Pass lead (Aerodactyl) so they don't instantly give away that they are a chain. Then, you can bring in Umbreon (they're more likely to expect a tank Umbreon rather than a Mean Look Passer if it isn't your lead), trap them, and set up your chain.

Umbreon as a lead? Hm... I dont like Umbreon without boosts^^ So other meanings? Is this idea good?

This team looks as if it would take a massive beating from a team with the most popular current lead, Metagross. It can use priority to knock out Ninjask, and it can Explode to break your chain if you have no Def. boosts. Mence also looks as if it could sweep your team.

Metagross can break your sub and then negate your speed boosts with Bullet Punch. Scizor can come in and SD on your Protects, and Bullet Punch you to KO, which means that you have no speed passed and a SDed Scizor threatening your team. I don't really like Ninjask leads for BP teams. It gives too much away and they can be stopped way too easily. Ninjask will not get an opportunity to Baton Pass if it isn't behind a sub when Metagross Bullet Punches, and then you don't BP a sub. Honestly, leading with Ninjask isn't that effective these days.

I am just not sure on that. But I do notice you only have one provider of subs, and the best subs here will be provided by Vaporeon & Celebi (but Umbreon's would almost be as good as those of Celebi's).

Aside from that, Bullet Punch on Metagross is very welcome, especially assuming you pull Belly Drum off and get it to him. (I think the Calm Minds would be secondary--I do like mixed Metagross though.)

I think Togekiss could be an option if you want to get those boosts to Metagross faster, despite adding additional weaknesses of the Flying type.

lol, he doesnt want many speed evs on ninjask, simply bcuz it is not needed. and if you are gonna keep the metagross, i dont see why you would use a mixgross if it has +x attack. Sounds kinda dumb. Shadow ball is stupid cuz stab meteor mash just has 10 less power.

Moveset i would go for if i was using this metagross (SDluke would be better)
Tpunch
EQ
Zheadbutt
MeteorMash
May aswell use wide lens as he does not need power, but could do with accuracy. Gives a nice coverage and has 2 stabs, which will still cause OHKOs with even +4s.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
First off, Smeargle should have Shed Shell. I cannot stress how important this is. If Smeargle uses Ingrain, and a pokemon switches in that poses a OHKO threat you will be unable to stop the threat. Considering Smeargle's pitiful defences and average speed, this is very likely to occur - and even if you manage to Baton Pass Speed, there's always priority moves ('cough' Scizor). Ingrain will prevent you from switching out, costing you a valuable team member who is needed to provide 100% accurate sleep and immunity to pHazing. Shed Shell solves this problem. Smeargle can now switch out, it is not hindered by Ingrain's horrible no-switch-out side-effect. Smeargle has little use for Leftovers, because he won't be taking much damage besides SR and Sandstorm - his frail defenses means you don't want him to absorb any form of attack.

Smeargle should not be attemping to pass both Belly Drum and Ingrain. It's one or the other. He doesn't have the time or the defenses for two jobs. Replace Belly Drum with Substitute. It is an invaluable move on Baton Pass teams, providing protection from status, and even with Smeargle's defenses, it won't break from weak attacks with some defensive boosts. Substitute also works well as a scout move, and seeing what attack your opponent will use, or which pokemon he will send out.

I am aware that without Belly Drum, Metagross won't function properly. You could, instead, replace Metagross with a finisher that doesn't need Attack to OHKO every OU pokemon. I know just the thing:
Lucario
Item: Life Orb
Nature: Modest
Aura Sphere
Dark Pulse
HP Ice
Vacuum Wave
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def

Aura Sphere, Dark Pulse and HP Ice give perfect type coverage. Vacuum Wave is ensure priority users cannot stop you. Scizor can only survive Vacuum Wave if he invests a ridiculous amount of EVs into HP and SDef (Adamant 252 HP / 252 SDef Scizor takes 90.70% - 106.96% damage, which is a guaranteed OHKO with SR in play, and you will never see such a defensive Scizor).

Life Orb recoil may be offputting, but Lucario should hopefully have a Substitute passed to him so that he doesn't receive status. His typing is also perfect for the job, giving him a x4 SR resistance and an immunity to Sandstorm and Toxic Spikes.

Umbreon already provides Wish support for the team. Vaporeon could use Aqua Ring over Wish. This provides constant healing for the entire team; it's an extra automatic Leftovers. Combined with Leftovers and Ingrain, that's 18.75% per turn - you only use 6.25% if Ninjask uses a Substitute, whilst Ninjask will gain much more HP with Leftovers. This is especially handy for healing off the big 50% lost by every switch-in thanks to SR.

You can also consider Substitute instead of Surf. Umbreon's Mean Look support can provide protection from Taunt users, especially combined with Umbreon's own Taunt. Everyone knows how beefy Vaporeon's Sub is, able to survive Blissey's Seimsic Toss and providing great team support. Seeing as this is a Baton Pass team, Vaporeon will rarely be going on the offensive, and any pokemon that you would use Surf on would swap out. Should the opponent be trapped with Mean Look, you wouldn't use Surf, or you'll remove that lock.

IF Umbreon leads, he is vunerable to taunt leads aka anti leads. That will easily screw your whole strategy. He is also extremely Vunerable to the top three leads. Metagross (Explosi0n) , Azelf (Explosion) , Infernape(Close Combat). Umbreon is bulky but Metagross MM+Explosion takes him Out. Fireblast + Explosion with Azelf. 2 CC from Ape takes him out as well.

Even if you switch, what is going to take the hit??

For that reason I think Vaporeon should keep wish. With only one Wish Passer, and he is your lead, u are screwed.

Your current lead is also stop by lead # 1 Metagross.

No matter who leads, you a still vulnerable to explosion. Which stops the chain then and there.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Umbreon would be great for a lead, so he can Taunt the opponent and stop pHazers. If only he had the speed to outspeed all those common Taunt leads. So to give Umbreon that speed as quickly as possibly, the pokemon Baton Passing Speed should be the lead. This would be Ninjask. This also enables Ninjask to not be harmed by SR for at least his first few moments of play.

The problem with using Ninjask as a lead is he has no hope of stopping enemy Taunt users; even Substitute doesn't block him. Ninjask's sole purpose is to Baton Pass speed (hence the name of your Ninjask set "Dedicated Speed Passer"). There is a pokemon capable of Baton Passing Speed AND dealing with Taunt users. That pokemon is Lopunny. I recommend using her in place of Ninjask. Here is her set, taken from the analysis.

Loppuny - Baton Passer
Nature: Timid
Ability: Klutz
Item: Flame Orb
Baton Pass
Agility
Magic Coat
Switcheroo
236 HP / 164 Def / 108 Spe

The beauty of this set is Magic Coat. Here is a list of all the things it reflects:
  • All moves that induce status as their only effect, including Yawn, but excluding Teeter Dance
  • All moves that do no damage but alter the target's stats, including Flatter and Swagger, except Defog and Memento
  • Attract
  • Block
  • Gastro Acid
  • Leech Seed
  • Mean Look
  • Spider Web
  • Worry Seed
  • Taunt
  • Encore
Most of these conditions are ones that you do not want to be Baton Passing to your team.

Agility and Baton Pass are self-explanatory. Switcheroo and Flame Orb is to cripple those physical attackers that think this beautiful rabbit is their doll. A burnt Tyranitar only deals 26.67 - 31.82% damage with Stone Edge. This isn't even likely to 3HKO with Sandstorm factored in. Klutz allows Loppuny to avoid being burnt herself, and to not suffer at all from stealing an opponent's Choice item. The EVs enabling you to outrun a neutral nature base 100 Speed pokemon with a +2 boost, and the rest is split between HP and Def to take physical attacks better, especially when the enemy is burnt. And fortunately, the OU metagame is orientated to favour physical attackers over special attackers.

In short, she's more likely to provide a successful and immediate speed boost to Umbreon than Ninjask. And she lacks a x4 SR weakness, so she can come back into play easier. But unfortunately, unlike Ninjask, she can't block incoming attacks that just do damage. With Switcheroo and Flame Orb, however, she can take a beating, and is near guaranteed to pass one Baton Pass boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)