Oh Volt-Turn, how I've missed you [Bulky Offense]

[At A Glance]

Hey guys, back again with my 1st 6th Gen RMT. Gen5 really got me back into the competitive scene so I had been excitedly awaiting Pokebank, breeding tons of guys, trading in the SD Trading Room, and whatnot. However, Nintendo decided to dump a typhoon on my parade... the worldwide release of Pokebank was delayed.

With all the time I had spent preparing for it, I then realized that I actually had gotten very little first hand experience with the Gen6 Meta. With that, I decided to finally sit down and make an actual Team I liked to use instead of just gathering up boxes of competitive Pokes to use after Bank had been released. After all kinds of testing this is what I have ended up with :3

I absolutely love Volt-Turn so these guy were a very easy starting point. We've all seen these terrors running around this Gen and their synergy is fantastic. Rotom + Lando make for some fantastic pivots while stopping all of Talonflames fun dead in its' tracks. Lando also provides the ever-important Stealth Rocks. Genesect was a natural fit to the core to provide some much needed Revenge Killing and is just phenomenal at forcing switches. As we all know, he's an absolute monster, however he still has one big thorn in his side: Heatran. Luckily, Lando and Rotom both love to eat Tran alive.

It was at this point that went through a few days of just messing around and trying all kinds of things. TTar, Talonflame, Excadrill, Mega Luke, Mandibuzz, Keldeo, Bisharp.... if it was OU material and synergized fairly well with Volt-Turning then I probably tried it at some point or another.

After getting a feel for the new Meta, I decided that Hazards definitely needed to be handled. Regardless of Rotom/Lando being immune to all but Rocks, there comes a ton of switching with Volt-Turn so it definitely was an issue. I tried a few guys out for Hazards clearing (namely Exca) but Latias really came into its' own as a great Special Tank to compliment the Phy. Bulk of Lando and overall Bulk of Rotom.

Looking at the guys I had picked out thus far, I noticed I didn't have a Mega. While a Mega may not be mandatory by any means, I figured it was time to give Mega Mawile a chance to shine. Mawile isn't best Mega around, but he's really grown on me and can clean up fairly well thanks to that insane raw Attack + Sucker Punch. Mawile turned out to fit rather well on the team with Genesect/Latias luring out and denting Heatran and Rotom/Lando dealing with him. Not to mention he really enjoys the set up opportunities that all the Volt-Turning can provide.

After much play testing and messing around with the final slot, I eventually decided on Conkeldurr, specificly the Assault Vest varient. AV Conk is a great answer to opposing Volt-Turn Cores, which had been causing me some trouble. He's also another Status Absorber so Rotom isn't as pressured to waste it's 1 free Rest and even destroys Heatran to further help Genesect and Mawile.

[In Depth]

Changes look like this.

The Unbanned Terror

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Man have I've missed playing with this monster of a Pokemon <3. For this particular Team I wanted to give Banded Gene a try and it worked out really well. The team as a whole though, was missing some much needed speed so a Scarf Set was more cohesive.

U-Turn is the obvious spam move here, doing great damage when backed up by the Phy. EV Spread and the potential +1 along with helping to keep up my momentum. Iron Head is here as a back up STAB that's rather powerful and allows Gene to push past Fairies if needed. While this is Phy. Based Scarf, Ice Beam and Flamethrower are quite important for their excellent coverage. Ice Beam murders any predicted Lando-T or Gliscor who feel it's safe to come in and comfortably tank a U-Turn as well as dealing with Dragons. Flamethrower keeps Steels from walling the Set, but also gives the team a way to roast opposing Gene, Aegis, and Mega Luke no problem.

Considering: Trying out Special Scarf atm.

The Washing Machine of Annoyance

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 136 SAtk / 44 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump

Good ol' faithful Bulky Rotom, one of the main faces of Volt-Turn. He was good Last Gen and things have only gotten better for him this go around. This particular Spread may seem a bit all over the place at first glance being less Bulky than the norm, but it serves 1 very important purpose: 2HKOing SpDef Heatran. On top of that, 248 HP / 80 Def is still enough Bulk to deal with Talonflame fairly well.

I decided to go with the ChestoRest varient so that Rotom could function as the teams' Status Absorber and it gives Rotom a much longer life overall otherwise as Pain Split can be underwhelming at times. WoW allows Rotoms to neuter Physical attackers and helps cause residual damage throughout a match. Volt Switch is STAB #1 and let's Rotom to be the annoying little washing machine that he is with his partners in crime, Genesect and Lando-T. Hydro Pump weighs in as STAB #2 and blows through the likes of Heatran thanks to the offensive investment.

Considering: Nothing really. This Set has been quite phenomenal.

The Physical Pivot

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Lando-T is by far one of my favorite Gen5 Pokes, both competitively and in general. He possesses great Physical Bulk, especially after an Intimidate drop, and can hit back like a truck. Combine that with access to both Rocks and U-Turn and you have yourself one amazing Pivot who leaves little room to disappoint outside of getting OHKO'd via a stray Ice Beam.

Lando takes the role as the team's obligatory Rocks user; his ability to come in, tank hits, and force a switch makes him a prime candidate. U-Turn works in tandem with these same attributes to give me the advantage on a predicted switch. Lando also has the added benefit of Double Intimidate with Mawile in order to give Mawile an easy opening to come in and set up a Sub. Lando is no slouch on the Offensive either though thanks to that massive Base 145 Atk. Stone Edge + EQ have some great coverage together and leave little breathing room for the opponent regardless of no Offensive investment.

Considering: Much like Rotom, I really haven't had a bit of trouble with this Set.

The Special Tank

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 112 HP / 180 SAtk / 216 Spd
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Roost

Latias has always been a great Special Tank and this Gen hasn't changed that. She has however gotten a new toy in the form of Defog. Defog has given us a new, more distributed way of dealing with Hazards now, but comes with the drawback of removing your own from the field. That isn't too big of a problem considering I only have Rocks on this Team and, when I do decide to drop a Defog, it's usually worth losing my Rocks, if they're up, to let my Team not be so pressured since Volt-Turn naturally switches around a ton.

As stated, Defog was what made me try out Latias on the team and she's worked to great success. Draco is a great STAB to just throw around and hits super hard thanks to Life Orb. I've opted to go with T-Bolt for coverage as I've found many Azu come in fearing little and expecting to sweep only for them to sac themselves. It's also quite handy for dealing with Keldeo, Togekiss, and Bulky Waters in general. On top of that, Rotom, Lando, and Conk can all deal with Heatran for the team anyways. In the last slot we have Roost. Healing Wish was a great change, but Zard-Y is a real problem for this Team. Giving Lati back Roost at least gives me a good switch in that can heal off the damage.

Considering: Really happy with the changes here; don't see much else to fix up.

The Megalution

Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Fire Fang / Focus Punch

The Mega of the team and one of my favorites, Mega Mawile is an absolute powerhouse. Despite his below average Speed, Mawile has the tools it needs to blow through many Pokes: Priority, great typing, and the highest Attack stat in the game. If this guy gets behind a Sub, something is going to die. It's really that simple outside of Heatran and Phazers and the Teams Volt-Turn Core definitely provides opportunities for some free Subs.

After some playtesting of Mega Mawile upon the advent of Gen6 I quickly noticed the biggest thorn in his side: how easy it is to play around Sucker Punch, especially with Rotom around on every other team spamming WoW. The answer was simple though; Substitute - The opponent is forced to Attack you as well as providing an immunity to Status. Behind a Sub, little is safe from Mawile. Sucker Punch let's Mega Mawile forget about it's sub par Speed and blast through the opponent untouched. Play Rough is a great Fairy STAB that is only flawed in its' 90% Accuracy. Little can handle a Sub protected Play Rough followed up with a Sucker Punch to secure a KO. I went with Fire Fang to let me get past Steels that would otherwise Wall this Set leaving little outside of Heatran to give me trouble.

Considering: Testing out Focus Punch > Fire Fang for bashing Tran and other Steels.

The Glue that saves the day

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 116 SDef / 20 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

This guy just seems to hold the Team together. AV Conk was the final member added to the team and he has performed surprisingly well. Dealing with opposing Volt-Turn, particularly Rotom + Genesect, was rather annoying before this guy made his way onto the team. He's also a great alternative Status Absorber if Rotom needs to stay healthy and becomes even more fearsome afterwards thanks to Guts.

Drain Punch is an amazing asset to Conk and allows him to still heal off damage regardless of dawning an Assault Vest while firing off a powerful STAB. Mach Punch provides some Priority so that Conk is not simply a Tank, but can nab Revenge Kills in a pinch. Ice Punch, much like Ice Beam on Gene, is to nail incoming Lando/Gliscor and can help to deal with Dragons should the situation arise. Knock Off is beyond what I expected this Gen. It's so satisfying to rob the opponent of their Items and punish their switching.

Considering: No clue. As this is the newest member I haven't really had any problems thus far. In fact, AV Conk has definitely worked far better than I thought it would.

[Problems?]
+

Zard-Y himself really takes a dump on this Team with only Latias being able to tank a hit from him (Conk can as well, but then he just dies without doing much of anything back). However, pair Zard with a well played TTar the Lati@s slayer, and there goes my one and only check.

Mega Venu just has such a big ass. Combine that fact with Synthesis/Leech Seed and this guy just does not want to go down. He walls Rotom and Conk like a champ while the only thing I can dent him with really is Genesect. Mega Venu also has the potential to throw around Sleep which is extremely annoying.

Mixed Aegis loves to spam Shadow Ball against this Team should he find a spot to switch in. I don't really have anything that appreciates taking one, though I have plenty of checks for dealing with Aegis.

[Final Look]

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 136 SAtk / 44 Spd
Modest Nature
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 Hp / 168 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 112 HP / 180 SAtk / 216 Spd
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Roost

Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Fire Fang

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 116 SDef / 20 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Well there you have it... the Bulky, Priority riddled, Volt-Turning Team that I have had a ton of fun both making and using these past ~2 weeks. I'm quite sure it's far from perfect, but hey, what else is a RMT for lol. I'm looking forward to any advice you guys may throw my way. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi steel. I'm gonna try out this team and try to make changes as i go. I have found that manectric work well against lucario and fits well w/ volt-turn. I also think scarf> band on genesect.

Showdown is laggy right now, but i'll update once i make major changes.

I'm a really big fan of volt-turn this Gen, we've been given a lot of toys to play with in between AV, the Azumarill buff, Genesect being legal, Greninja, Mega-Scizor and Mega-Manectric. I'm currently running a volt-turn team (Which you can find here) and have Azumarill filling a similar role to Conkeldurr, but I'm considering switching since my team is heavily physically oriented and could benefit from something that isn't crippled by burn. How well has conkeldurr been working for you, would you recommend switching?

Also I notice that this team could definitely benefit from some speed, you have some nice priority going but Sucker Punch is predictable while Extreme Speed and Mach punch have problems against certain faster mons. As such I'd recommend scarf over band. I run band myself but this team is on the slow side and would appreciate a more dependable revenge killer.

Run Surf>Dragon Pulse on latias, Dragon is a poor attacking type this gen, and you get decent STAB in psyshock, Surf would greatly increase Latias's coverage.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I have a few nitpicks:

On Latias, I prefer using 112 Hp / 180 SpA / 216 Spe on Timid Latias because it's just enough to outrun Jolly M-Pinsir, and the bulk is usually much needed. The speed tier is not nearly as important as it was in BW2 imo and the additional bulk is worth it in the long run. Psyshock is also pitiful when Thunderbolt hits Keldeo and Azumaril / Togekiss, which makes it much more superior.

I find Substitute and Fire Fang poor options on Mawhile when it gets Iron Head / Knock Off / Swords Dance / etc. I would switch to the SD variant which is much more intimidating, and fix the weird EVs to optimize bulk. On Genesect, I would use 4 Def EVs and 8 SpD IVs to give opposing Genesect a +1 Special Attack boost, seeing how +1 Iron Head from Banded Gene (or Espeed / U-turn) is kind of hard for you to switch into if you predict wrong.

Lucario dosen't seem like a threat when you've got Conk + Landorus-T honestly. However, you could opt to change your Landorus-T set to 248 Hp / 168 Def / 92 Spe with Impish nature to increase the bulk and performance vs. physical Lucario, which seems to give you the most problems. (The speed outruns max speed Adamant Bisharp and Adamant Breloom and can typically outrun defensive Rotom-W too).

Good Luck :)

dragon_poop : Hey, glad you like the team! Mega Manetric is something I hadn't thought about, but I'd prefer this team stay about Mega Mawile. I am heavily considering swapping to Scarf Gene so I'll be testing that out soon.

vonK : Volt-Turn for life <3. I highly recommend giving AV Conkeldurr a try at the very least, he definitely has surprised me. Conk's a great bulky Poke and really lightens the load on Rotom when it comes to getting worn down by Statuses. Just his presence on the Team makes the opponent less prone to mindlessly throw Status around.

As much as I have been loving Banded Gene, I'll be testing the Scarf Set to see how well it works on the Team. While Steel and Fairy have definitely changed the usefulness of Dragon coverage, it's still hella strong. I just don't see myself dropping it, but there's no harm in trying of course.

Shurtugal : Thanks for the rate! I really like the Latias suggestions. Guess I'm still a bit in the BW2 OU mindset of 252+ Spe Lati Twins with T-Bolt being a sub par coverage choice lol. In fact, it completely slipped my mind that Lati@s could even learn T-Bolt. Really looking forward to how this turns out!

SD Mawile is something I've been meaning to try on this team. I kind of just settled on the Sub Set and never went back to test how an SD Set would work with the Team in its' current form so that should be fun to try. I believe the EV's of the current Set allow him to outspeed some other slower, uninvested guys (Scizor, Azu, etc). I never thought of messing with Gene's IV's and I have indeed been pressured by opposing Banded Genesect's before and barely scraped out victories.

I may be a tad bit over paranoid of Mega Luke lol, but the ones that have caused me trouble have mostly turned out to be the Special Set which I thought to be Physical and switched to Lando-T... Then it turns out I'm facing down a Spec. Luke sitting happily at +2 staring down a Poke with Phy. Bulk while resisting my strongest forms of Priority and outspeeding my whole team. the Physical variant isn't too awful to get around though since, as you mentioned, I do have Lando-T along side Conk to handle that well enough. Either way, the extra Bulk would be nice so I'll give it a go.

Thanks guys! keep it coming :3

Hello.

Alright, got your request and this, my friend is a solid team. You use in my opinion the best Mega At the Moment: Mawile. Props to you on that. Alright time for the rate:

One of the things I noticed on your team is that you don't have a whole lot of speed. So to help with that you could give a Scarf to either Landorus or Genesect , I personally would pick Landorus as Scarf Landorus isn't as common as Stealth Rock Landorus and most people expect SR Landorus but with Scarf Landorus you can outspace Mega Lucario and still keep your momentum which really helps. And it remedies the Mega Lucario issue. This suggestion depends on what your team needs better as a Scarfer.

I recommend you try out an EV Spread 120 HP / 252 Atk / 116 SpD / 20 Spe on Conkeldurr and I saw this EV Spread on the XY Preview conkeldurr analysis. It might seem odd but I personally like it a lot, I have tried it and it is quite efficient.

On Mawile I recommend you try out an EV spread of 252 Atk / 216 Spe / 40 HP Adamant Nature. This spread allows you to outspèed Scizor,Conkeldurr,Specially Defensive Heatran,Trevenant, Chesnaught, Azumarill, Defensive Togekiss, etc. At the cost of a bit of bulk.

I also would recommend you to test Healing Wish over Roost or Psyshock on Latias as I have found Healing Wish to be quite efficient, like Latias is low, get an attack off and then Healing Wish pass to one of of your beaten up sweepers which can helps secure matches which is extremely nice. And it can help you big time.

Last but not least, I recommend you try an EV spread of 240 HP / 196 Def / 72 Spe on Rotom-Wash this lets it outrun Gliscor and be able to get off a Hydro Pump before it can possibly Toxic it although you have RestoChesto, being faster than Gliscor is always nice. As myself I hate gliscor so much.

Scarf Landorus set:

Landorus-T @Choice Scarf
EV's: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
-Earthquake
-Stone Miss Edge
-U-Turn
-Superpower

Hope my suggestions were helpful or at least thought-provoking.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks so much for rating, XenoBlade911 :D. Scarf Lando-T hadn't even crossed my mind; definitely an interesting change. My only real concern with this swap would be my loss of Stealth Rocks. Defog can be counterproductive when running Hazards, but I still find that Rocks, at the very least, are still quite handy to have. I started testing Scarf Genesect today though and that has been working well. I know that's totally a surprise.

Conk's Spread was one of the things I had been most on the fence about when creating the team (not sure where I even saw the one I'm using actually). The increase to overall Bulk sounds great. Jacking up Mawile's Speed is also rather appealing. Not having to always rely on Sucker Punch can be a godsend.

I've been toying around with Healing Wish > Roost lately as I find the 2nd coverage move to be quite important. I really do enjoy the longevity Roost provides Lati, but Healing Wish can instantly turn a game around with Mawile or Gene getting a second chance to plow through the opponent come Late Game.

Thus far, Gliscor hasn't really been too much of a problem (though I also hate him lol). Conk or Genesect normally end up nabbing a kill on him on top of Gliscor being pressured to stay in thanks to U-Turning out into either Conk, Gene, or Lati. However, when he does find a way in, there can be problems so that Spread could prove useful.

I'll be testing everyone's suggestions thoroughly when I have more time tomorrow and hopefully be updating the OP. Thanks again everyone!

I find Substitute and Fire Fang poor options on Mawhile when it gets Iron Head / Knock Off / Swords Dance / etc.
Iron head is not good on mawile, it's pretty redundant coverage and Play rough hits more than iron head.

I agree that Knock off and SD are cool, but Mawile really hates status and it isn't really that fast to use knock off so it kind of relies on sucker punch to go first.

Fire fang is a good option otherwise Ferrothorn completely walls you, and with substitute you can prevent it from T -waving or Leech Seeding you.

Ended up being busier that I thought these past few days, but I finally had time to update the OP. so here's the summary of changes:

- Scarf Genesect: As much as I love the Banded Set, this was a much needed change and helps out the team immensely.
- T-Bolt, Healing Wish, and EV's on Lati: took the advice of both Shurtugal and XenoBlade911 and it's fantastic.
- EV's and testing SD on Mawile: Still can't decide between SD or Sub, but I haven't missed the loss of Bulk while the higher Speed has come in handy.
- Ev's on Conk: The increased overall Bulk has been great.

Really loving all of this guys so thanks again! I'm still testing some others things (changes to Rotom/Lando's Spreads mainly) and looking for more advice of course.

Star

is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis the defending RU Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OGC & Tour Head
Just helping your issue of Sub vs SD here. I honestly find that Substitute has sooo much more utility than Swords Dance. Many teams try to paralyze Mega Mawile with a slow bulky pokemon and Substitute laughs in their faces. With a Sub up something is gonna die as Mega Mawile's power is insane. I was using your team to ladder and this was an awesome game where Sub Mawile pulled the midgame for me and eventually won me the game.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-76293841

Thanks for the input, Starmaster ! That is exactly why I was using Substitute originally. With Swords Dance I often find myself just firing off a Play Rough on the switch rather than SDing since I'll most likely just be forced out after a kill regardless. Sub brings a wonderful buffer however; be it to Status, OHKO's, or forcing something into taking a Sucker Punch. I'm still testing heavily between the two, but Sub seems to fit how I tend to play Mawile more.

Also tried out Special Gene some. Honestly though, the Phy. Scarf really seems to be the better Set now. That extra kick in your U-Turn's add up over the course of a game and with Iron Head you can win from Flinch Hax do some serious work after all Resists are gone.

This is definitely a solid volt-turn team. I love the mix of offensive and defensive turners, which makes the strategy so dangerous and reliable at the same time.

I don't have much more to add as it seems many of the details have already been ironed out but I'll give my opinion on Mega-Mawile for what it's worth, as I've been using her quite a lot and loving the results. I too pair her with conkeldurr and I find them fantastic partners that overwhelm popular ways to stop physical attackers.

To me the evs for your Maw seem a bit odd, being neither truly in the speedy camp, or bulky one. If you're going to run that much speed I would suggest going with the same 216 speed ev's but with a jolly nature. This allows you to outspeed Rotom W and set up a sub in their face as the wow is gonna be heading your way 99.999999999 forever% of the time. I haven't run extensive calcs, but with huge power you should still 2hko everything like you do now. This strategy seems unnecessary on your team however, because of the presence of conkeldurr, with latias and your own rotom tagging along, giving you half a team that doesn't mind coming in on rotom.

This is the set that I use and am loving, maybe it'll interest you:

Mawile@Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate-Huge Power
EVs: 132 Hp / 252 Att / 124 Spe Adamant
-Substitute
-Play Rough
-Sucker Punch
-Focus Punch

Honestly, I have to disagree with Shurtugal. Substitute is just as threatening on a mawile as swords dance, and I would argue that it is even more so when considering it as a pure wall breaker. Because Mawile hits so hard, its extremely difficult for the opponent to break the sub without one and often two pokes being maimed or outright killed. Substitute makes sucker punch more dangerous and reliable, something that a pokemon with mawil's speed to attack ratio really appreciates. But you should know that by now since you've been using sub. What I love most is Focus Punch. God that thing hits hard. It has a higher base power than stab play rough. That's stupid, and makes for a great attack to spam once you're behind a sub. Oh, and it transforms her into the best heatran lure which your genesect will greatly appreciate when it's time to reach the end game. IMO the subpunch set is her best (clearly I'm biased) because of substitute's ability to neuter many common ways to fight Mawile, and focus punches awesome coverage with play rough/sucker punch. Swords dance is too risky for my tastes on a pokemon that relies on sucker punch to beat so many things when it isn't behind a sub. I find Mawile to shine in the midgame, and can easily clean many offensive pokemon late game with unboosted sucker punches. The EVs are chosen to outspeed min 65's while giving as much bulk as possibe. I've found it to be a very useful benchmark for the slowest defensive mons, but I could see it going down to outspeed min speed tyranitar.

Unfortunately this leaves your team pretty weak to well played Mega-Venusaur and Latios, as it left mine that also relied on lando-T / Mawile / Conk / Rotom core (i guess four pokemon may be too many to call a core, but it's always been finding the other two pokemon that has been a problem for me as they feel very cohesive). Genesect is a nice offensive check to Latios but it really has no business switching in on its attacks. Because you run mawile, Latios is very rarely going to spam dragon stab, and thunderbolt/surf really hurts gene. Psyshock is always looming for conk, who is your main special tank. Mega-Vensaur just really isn't touched much by anything on your team has and can leech seed/synthesis you to a very depressing death.

There's another set that was shared with me over on the Mawile thread that's very intriguing. I was told to try it because I was having trouble with mega-venusaur/ latios. I have yet to use it, but in theory it seems quite effective. I'm sorry I can't give better credit but I forget who exactly suggested this to me.

Mawile@ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate-Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Att / 44 SDef / 92 Spe
Adamant
-Play Rough
-Sucker Punch
-Fire Fang/Substitute
-Pain Split

The Ev's in HP and Special Defense allow you avoid the 3hko from LO Latios' thunderbolt/surf IIRC. Substitute isn't necessary if fire coverage is more important for the team, but sub really adds to the pain splitting strategy. Basically this guy trades some initial hitting power (mind you, with huge power you still hit an attack stat of 606) for the ability to wear down many of its common checks with pain split, all while adding longevity. It's the perfect pain splitter because of its good bulk and awesome typing but low as hell hp stat. With pain split's 48 pp you can easily outstall M-venu's 8pp of synthesis and negate leech seed. Mix in play rough every now and then if you're not being eq'd. Pain split allows you to be an actual counter to Latios as opposed to a check that is greatly hampered by lack of recovery. The speed ev's are to outspeed min Tyranitar which is a good benchmark without sacrificing any more hitting power.

I hope this helped. Good luck with the team!

Ogami

Last edited:
Thanks for rating Ogami ! Extra insight on Mawile is very much appreciated :3. As far as the EV's go, that first Spread you mentioned is exactly what I had been using previously and I've been testing back and forth between the current one and it; not sure which I'll settle on just yet. The Bulk added by that one is quite nice though and I am starting to noticed that loss more and more as I play with the Team. I actually forgot Mawile even got Focus Punch.... very interesting! Murdering the common Steel switch in's along with Tran is great for the Team. Regardless of the slight Mega-Venu problem, I look forward to trying it out. The sheer fact that it's stronger than Play Rough is extremely scary.

I have noticed that opposing Lati@s can do a number on me, particularly Latios as you mentioned. Should they get a free switch in, it's always a guessing game until I see the coverage it runs. I've never really considered running a Pain Split Set before, but the Bulk with that Spread is rather surprising. This Set looks like it'll be a blast to test out!

Star

is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis the defending RU Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OGC & Tour Head
Through play with this team, I've noticed that a well played mega Charizard Y (especially the Roost set) does a number on this team. Every pokemon is OHKOd except Latias and Conkeldurr but with smart play these two can be eliminated. Also Latias and Conk cannot switch into him because they take 50% ish from Fire Blasts in the Sun. (Latias takes about 40%). Effectively, you have to sac one pokemon every time it switches in. To help alleviate this problem a little bit, I would suggest making Genesect the special scarf set with Tbolt > Iron Head. You lose coverage against fairies, but you really need a Zard Y check.

i am just having trouble actually killing pokemon with this team. yeh you can voltturn around, but it just takes 8000 turns to do anything

Star

OGC & Tour Head
i am just having trouble actually killing pokemon with this team. yeh you can voltturn around, but it just takes 8000 turns to do anything
This is just blatantly wrong. Genesect hits hard. Conkeldurr hits like a truck. Lando hits like a truck. Mawile hits like a monster truck. Evidently you are playing something badly. (Speaking from experience I went 24-2 2699 with this team)

Starmaster - Myself and a buddy who's helping test the Team have both recently run into the Char-Y problem. One time I would have been perfectly fine.... but I missed my Draco ;-;. Definitely have to try out T-Bolt more extensively on Gene. Char-Y, however sparse he may be, is definitely not a fun guy to lose to.

pjbball04 - Pretty much as Starmaster said, you seem to be just on a train of spamming the Volt-Turn side of things; that's not how this team functions. It can in certain cases of course (i.e. they go to Lati@s as you VS with Rotom? going out to Gene to U-Turn is the perfect play), but instead you should be using that free switch advantage to put yourself in favorable situations for any the Teams several power hitters (Mawile, Conk, Lati, +1 Gene).

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
For the most part Latias can tank Zard-Y and can retaliate with Thunderbolt or Draco Meteor. As for Zard-X, I'll be brutally honest most teams struggle to handle it. However, Landorus-T can help check Zard-X (although it'd be better if it were bulkier, like say, my impish set). With dual-intimidate users it shouldn't be too hard to force it out.

I've been testing Substitute on one of my own Mawhile teams and I got to say I kind of like it (granted, I'm running Jolly maximum with Baton Pass & Moxie DD Gyarados, but still). I don't like the idea of Focus Punch -- I recommend Earthquake since Aegislash is always annoying to deal with IMO. Nothing really wants to switch into SB and than Conk has 50 / 50 with Kings Shield which is annoying to play around since -2 Conk sucks vs. Aegi especially if it carries Weakness Policy.

EDIT: Wow I brainfairted there try Knock Off than.

Last edited:
Latias is for sure my best answer, but after she's been worn down Zard-Y can have a field day since Conk hates to take an Air Slash and can't really do much back anyways. Zard-X can be a tough cookie sometimes, especially if they manage to come in pre-Rocks to Mega. Fire/Dragon is an amazing typing I must say. I've still been playing around with your Impish Lando suggestion and it's been doing very well. I'll most likely be swapping to that in the next OP update.

EQ would be absolutely fantastic, but Mawile sadly doesn't get it :(. I actually haven't had too much trouble with Conk vs Aegis so far. most players turn out to play extremely paranoid and spam their KS which can easily be played around by throwing out a random Mach Punch.

EDIT: haha, Knock Off is indeed a great option on Mawile. a Sub on the predicted KS also allows me to play around him well with Sucker Punch/Fire Fang too though.

Last edited:
Shurtugal I think you're writing off Focus Punch too quickly. Try it in five games on a bulky set and get back. I have a strong feeling you'll come back singing its praises. She's quite a reliable user of the move, which is definitely one of the harder ones to make consistent. What makes SubPunch on her such a strong choice to me is that Focus Punch is actually the fourth move of the set. Most FP users of old struggled to do much when they can't be punching things behind a sub, making it an inconsistent strategy when it is your best way of dealing damage. Play Rough hits nearly as hard and is the true main attack of the set because fairy is pretty great attacking type, with sucker punch always being very important. I would argue that substitute is the heart of what makes Mawile so scary to me, and really you could be running most any mix of physical moves and be dangerous with it. I don't think double nonstab dark moves is a good idea though, and sucker punch is the superior choice for Mawile by far. If anything just go with fire fang, but I'm telling you SubPunch Mawile is very, very dangerous.

I would definitely have a better way to handle CharY. Thunderbolt on Genesect is a start, but choiced electric is a pretty poor thing, and the thunderbolt is pretty easy to see coming from a genesect that comes in on CharY. Stone Edge on Conkeldurr is a possible quick fix, but it doesn't really help your inability to switch into it. If you're not going to run roost on Latias then no, it is not a answer to CharY who can easily power through it. Most every half-decent pilot will switch out after the first F blast, leaving you dead the next time you have to call on Latias to check him. Or their tyranitar (who makes an awesome CharY partner) comes in and traps your silly little Latias. I would consider putting roost back on latias. It's a good thing CharY doesn't see more usage because it is way more dangerous than its usage stats bely.

Hey this team looks pretty solid. It has some flaws, like the fact that nothing really appreciates a Shadow Ball from Aegislash. Charizard Y also OHKO's four out of 6 pokes and the latter two don't appreciate Sun Boosted Fire Blasts either. I would highly suggest running Roost>Healing Wish and Leftovers>Life Orb on Latias to remedy this second problem.

Been so busy this past week @_@... anyways, The OP was overdue for an update:

- I'm still testing the Special Scarf Gene... haven't decided if I like it yet or not.
- Swapped to the suggested Spread by Shurtugal on Lando; the added bulk is great.
- For Lati, I put Roost > Healing Wish once again as Zard-Y is a massive threat to the team.
- Went back to my original Spread for Mawile and am for sure keeping Sub. Trying out Focus Punch > Fire Punch as Ogami suggested.
- Added a Threat List

The only thing I'd like to see are some replay's of the team in action. :)
Will do! I'll grab some good games and update the OP in the next few days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)