1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Okay, it's about that time.

Discussion in 'Moderator Discussion' started by DM, Apr 10, 2007.

1. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

B-day threads need to be banned. They serve no purpose, and very few people take the time to actually say something original in their hb post that actually pertains to who the thread is about.

In my opinion, it's long overdue. I used to like them, but I have definitely changed my mind over time.
  2. Judgement

Judgement
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

it doesnt make a huge difference either way
  3. Hazerider

Hazerider

It only started to annoy me after 90% of the threads were about someone I (and many other people) have never heard of.
  4. Aeolus

Aeolus Bag
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I dont care one way or the other. I say ban them if they bother you guys.
  5. Arkeis

Arkeis (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ (formerly aragornbird)
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

*shrugs* Yeah, they're just pc++ in my eyes
  6. Surgo

Surgo goes to eleven
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

They're fun to post when you know the person but you're right that they're pretty damn spammy and 'postcount++'ish. We'd lose nothing by nixing them really.
  7. Misty

Misty oh
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I like being wished a happy birthday from people who know me, but I guess you can't enforce a "you have to know the person" rule... I guess if people know you they can wish you hb over AIM or IRC or something though.

I'm with Aeolus, really - if you ban them, whatever.
  8. Steelicks

Steelicks Come here and Battle me!
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

they dont bother me, lol
  9. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

I can't say I care much either way, but like others I enjoy being wished a happy birthday. If you're worried about pc++ you should lock the now playing thread as well, which isn't even in Firebot.
  10. Shiv

Shiv mostly harmless
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Yeah, I don't really care much for them. If I know the person, I like to post otherwise I tend to avoid the thread though getting a hb thread for your birthday is always a nice thing. I don't mind anyways I guess.
  11. Carl

Carl or Varl
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

I can't remember the last time I read or posted in one so TBH I'd be in favor of removing them.
  12. DM

So far the only argument for keeping them is "I like to be wished HB." Well, how about those poor randoms who think they're part of the community but don't get a thread on their birthdays? It's a bit too much of a popularity contest, plus if people are going to be wishing you HB, they should do it in #smogon or by PM anyways.
  13. Vineon

Vineon Fleurdelysé
    is a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

yeah I ended running out of new ideas of what to reply in them and a simple "hb" is more Misty's style than mine!

granted it is still cool to read when it happens to be your bd thread, but they are 1/2 of the firebot threads pretty much, I suppose they need to go.
  14. Justin8649

Justin8649
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

i tried making a bday thread for it, but a bunch of you moderators ruined it and edited all the posts like retards. theres not really much of a point to banning them, because almost ALL firebot threads are retarded as it is. i just dont see the point in stopping 1 retarded thing when there are so many other retarded things we allow.
  15. Vineon

Vineon Fleurdelysé
    is a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I think Justin's bday is coming!!! =D

<===== lloook at how cuuuute dat bbbaby izz ^_^
  16. havoc

havoc pottlepalooza
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

"theres not really much of a point to banning them, because almost ALL firebot threads are retarded as it is."

this doesn't make birthday threads any less retarded.

how about just sending a PM to the birthday person perhaps?
  17. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

How about a birthday subforum where everyone can wish everyone a happy birthday and live happily ever after? ^__^ (i am not serious)

Or just ban them, it's fine with me either way.
  18. Steelicks

Steelicks Come here and Battle me!

here is a new argument: post count doesnt matter. its only when the quality of these posts are shit, should be start enforcing stuff
  19. DM

yep

so by this time tomorrow, unless otherwise deemed by a greater authority figure, I will add to the Firebot rules the HB thread ban
  20. Mekkah

Mekkah
    Super Moderator

I believe Steelicks' point is that since post count doesn't matter, you shouldn't care about people raising it. If they want to be known as shitty unoriginal posters then so be it.

In case you couldn't tell, I agree.
  21. DM

I'm sorry, but just because being a terrible poster and a bane on our community is their prerogative doesn't mean we should allow it.

Editing Firebot rules now.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)