1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Formerly Mentorship Program! We're going through a makeover, hold tight. All will be known over the next few days. :)

(OLD) New Users Introduction and Hangout Thread [Read the first post!]

Discussion in 'Smogon Starters Hangout' started by skylight, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skylight

skylight the cold never bothered me anyway
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Old thread found here.

Welcome to Smogon's forums! Here at our forums, we don't overly care how many posts you have. It is entirely appropriate for you to make an account here and start posting immediately in any thread you like. If you've read up on the thread that you want to post in (and the rules of that particular forum), we actually encourage you to start posting right away.

We're now relaunching this thread so there's a few changes here, which I'll outline below. They benefit you, don't worry!

However, we are aware that new users like to introduce themselves in a more formal environment. We wish you'd just jump into our conversations right off the bat, but we'd like to offer this thread as an alternative resource for you to become integrated into the community. The problem is that typically, these threads tend to suck. So I'm going to lay some ground rules to make sure we stay focused here:

• You can post as much as you want in this thread. The cool thing is now you can introduce yourself, and if someone wants to know a bit more about you, they'll send you a reply here, and you can essentially hang out here at first. Once you feel familiar with someone, you can take the conversation to private message or visitor message. Obviously if things go a little too off-topic we'll suggest you take it privately, but while you're getting started here this is your hangout!
    • ONLY NEW USERS CAN INTRODUCE THEMSELVES. If you've got less than 20 posts feel free to post here. If you've got exactly 20, send me a PM instead of Birkal and I'll draw you a Pokemon! If you are introducing yourself as an older user we're going to delete it for being off-topic, sorry.
    • We encourage both new and old users to post here! While only new users can introduce themselves, we'd love it if our older members and mentors greeted people in the thread here and replied to their posts.

• List where on Smogon you'd like to get involved. This way, our mentors can contact you and give you more resources about the specific areas that appeal to you. If you don't know about all our communities, I suggest you look at our Smogon Primer.
    That's about it! You can learn more about what the mentors are doing on our Mentorship subsite. They're a great resource for you to check out if you're new to our forums. You can also talk with the mentors live at #mentor on synIRC. Again, welcome to Smogon's forums. We look forward to meeting each and every one of you!

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  2. HYDRO IMPACT

HYDRO IMPACT
    is a Pre-Contributor

Hello I guess :3 Nice too meet you all :)

Anyways, thought I'd edit this since it's been a little while and a simple "hello" is not merely enough to introduce oneself. My name is Jake, or on here as most of friends would know me as, "HYDRO IMPACT". I'm currently 16 years old, and have been playing Pokemon for a solid 14 years, I was very fortunate to start from first generation Pokemon games, which also let me discover my favorite Pokemon that still remains as is to this day, Charizard. I'm fairly Sassy/Modest as I get told a lot of the time, but I love helping others and enjoy seeing people succeed in what they want to achieve. I'm active on Smogon, mostly lurking, so if you like for whatever reason feel free to leave a comment on my profile or something if you don't have any problem talking with strangers. On Pokemon Showdown my name remains as "HYDRO IMPACT", I'm a Room Owner of a joyous room/community called Meteor Falls that specializes in giving users the latest information on upcoming Pokemon games. I am also a Global Voice, which means if you need any guidance with anything on Pokemon Showdown, I can do my best to hopefully send you in the right direction. If you like, feel free to challenge me to a Random Battle sometime since I'm very knowledgeable in that format and know my way around the sets, I recently made it to 2005 on the ladder at Number 10, unfortunately I forgot to screenshot that but this one was from the day before when I got to #12th http://prntscr.com/4tkjlt Anyhow, don't be afraid to chat for whatever reason, I don't bite yet I enjoy friendly conversation and look forward to meeting and interacting with new people :)

Also a very big Professor Layton fan...

EDIT: Now Global Driver, so if ya see any troublesome users, don't be afraid to PM me :^)
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  3. chimpact

chimpact fire nation
    is an official Team Rateris a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

FELLOW IMPACT!
    Nog, Reiddos, MoonKisser and 9 others like this.
  4. danielfox118

danielfox118

Hey everyone, I've recently gotten back into Pokemon in a big way and I found this site popping up in a lot of my searches so I figured I'd check it out. I've been almost a lifetime player, starting with gen I on my lime green Gameboy Color at daycare, to now where I'm replaying Heartgold. I find myself really interested in the mechanics of the game, but I also have been struggling to try to breed for better IVs for my team. I've started trying to play around with RNG, but my 3DS seems to be making it a struggle.

Fascinating stuff, I know. I think the game is definitely easier when you have others to play with. I have my girlfriend playing as well now, but I think she may be more interested in the cuteness of her team than the quality. Anyway, I look forward to chatting with everybody.
    Aviel Augustine Soliz likes this.
  5. tennisace

tennisace another eggnog, please
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Social Media Chief

there is absolutely nothing wrong with this don't let nobody tell you different
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  6. Ninety Nine

Ninety Nine

Welp I guess I should post here seeing as I'm a relatively new user. I'm 99, I know enough about smogon to not need any help in the areas that I know (mostly the Pokemon Showdown forum) what I'd really like to get into is C&C so any help with that is greatly appreciated!
    losedude and Goddess Briyella like this.
  7. danielfox118

danielfox118

Fair, fair.
  8. Minus

Minus Xylen is my hero
    is a Contributor to Smogon

hmu with a PM later and I'll try to get you started :]
  9. sonickiller1612

sonickiller1612

Hello everyone. I have been playing pokemon since I was a kid, however this generation I wanted to get started playing competitively. While I have some of the basics down, I'm still new to the competitive scene. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks! :)
    Goddess Briyella likes this.
  10. skylight

skylight the cold never bothered me anyway
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Welcome c: One of the best ways to get into competitive battling is through random battles on Pokemon Showdown, since it gets you used to what's good at what, and so on. Or at least that helped me out early on. Though if you wanna get into a specific tier, many of us in the mentor channel can help out!
  11. BlueBerry

BlueBerry

What's up, I'm Blueberry. I know quite a bit about competitive battling from my friends, who are very competitive. However, I'm pretty awful at the whole deal and want to get better, so that's why I'm here!
  12. Redew

Redew
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor

BLUEBERRY :D

TRC look who made a profile! :D

Welcome BlueBerry ^.^ you can vm/pm me whenever to chat or something!!
  13. Superblackcat

Superblackcat

Wow, due to being the last person to introduce myself in the last thread before it was locked. (It will always have my name in it Mwahahahaha). I'll say hi here again :D
  14. SparksBlade

SparksBlade

while i am not a complete newcomer, i am yet to be involved in something important so i thought it's worth to post here. i can aide those who're writing for The Smog (not Spotlight and other Strategic articles, but the fun ones and all). I can write myself but i tend to make a mess of it, and am working on an article to submit for approval(and a summary of it first).
  15. garchomp7472

garchomp7472

Hi I'm garchomp7472 (Austin is my real name), and I have just recently got into competitive battling. I am the only one in my year group that actually knows something about pokemon, so I sometimes find myself talking to myself. I am in to DP OU and BW OU, as Pokemon Diamond was the first ever game I played. I am willing to talk to anyone, and wish to contribute in the Smogon Forums!
  16. Manny1234

Manny1234

Hello I'm Manny and I've only recently gotten into competitive battling by frequently checking out this site. I don't know where specifically I want to contribute but I'm willing to learn a lot. And I also really want to meet many people so please message me saying hi or something :)
  17. Spotslime

Spotslime

Hey, I'm Don! It is very nice to meet you all. I am a lifetime player of the franchise, although I only just began competitive training and battling shortly after the advent of Gen IV. Several breaks later, I've become more interested in competitive battling than I ever have been before, and am even thinking of participating in tournaments at some point in my future. I have one friend in particular, who goes by the name of Umbreon online, to thank for showing me these forums and re-igniting my enthusiasm in the strategic elements of this game!

I look forward to exchanging ideas with you all. Good as I may have been at making builds in GW1, Pokemon has proven itself to be a far more difficult game than I had anticipated it would be, and I think I will be needing all the help I can get :)
  18. UberAmpharos

UberAmpharos

Hello people c: I am new to Smogon, and just started competitive this gen, so help would be appreciated c: Kthxbye :D
  19. Minus

Minus Xylen is my hero
    is a Contributor to Smogon

That's cool! Don't be too worried about your writing. If it becomes a problem, the Smog staff will help you in finding a partner, but I'm sure it won't be /that/ bad :] Good luck in your endevours!
    Don't worry, I talk to myself all the time haha! The past generation discussion is located in the very last forum on the forum list, so you can check it out for DPP and BW OU (though those forums are very dead right now because of XY). Pokemon Showdown! also has both of those ladders, and if I remember correctly, there's tons of renewed interest in DPP OU, so you might want to chat with some people involved and have some fun!
    Hello! I met most of my friends here on the forums or on internet relay chat (called IRC). Smogon has many friendly users that you'll become friends with, I'm sure! Smogon also has a program called Battling 101 that you can check out if you want to be tutored. Sign-ups open up next month. Be sure to hurry, they're first come first serve!
    Hey Don! Nice to see you have renewed interest in Pokemon again. Have fun :).
    Hey! Once you decide what tier you'd like to play in, click on "Mentor" on my green banner and then click on "Mentor list" or something and look for a Mentor that suits you!

Nice to meet all of you n_n.

Also, everyone come to #mentor to meet all of them mentors! :D

EDIT: Redew stop editing my posts >:/
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    Xylen and SparksBlade like this.
  20. Redew

Redew
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor

Hi there! I have a good friend named Austin. Really smart kid, and I'm sure you are too! I know a GREAT dpp ou tutor! Let's tag him!

Tomahawk
    garchomp7472 and Xylen like this.
  21. MackDaddyYoshi

MackDaddyYoshi

hey i've lurked in the community anti-socially ever since 4th gen competitive battling attracted me to Smogon and Serebii.

however now it appears that since Gen 6 tiers are still being refined I might benefit from getting involved. in case your wondering i have recently started playing X again but haven't touched it since December. My team is currently Blaziken, Pangoro, Floette, Tyrantrum, Haunter, Staryu. I had Raichu and Charizard but I scrapped them for poor natures, however I plan on breeding Charizard.

Also I am officially steamed because I heard Pangoro is NU. I mean what kind of garbage is that, come on Game Freak. You release a badass Pokemon and it's already NU?
    Gaxsun Ruskia and Gammafire like this.
  22. Xylen

Xylen Perfect Harmony.
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Yeah, Gamefreak did not give Pangoro any good things for it to be good.... ;x
    it seems you're pretty interested in NU.
    There's no NU subforum at the moment, but you can use this for the time being,
    Or contact one of the NU mentors. Here's the list of mentors,
  23. MackDaddyYoshi

MackDaddyYoshi

Thanks, but ugh no way man... I might be interested in a couple days but right now I'm steamed that not only is Pangoro terrible but so is Tyrantrum and even Florges... I am so sick of GameFreak pulling this "you're gonna suck at Pokemon unless you have no life and countless hours to dedicate to the game" ego trip bullcrap.

I'm already 9 months deep into the ego power-trip game you can see in my avatar, Dust514, so I think I'll just stick with that and passively finish playing through X with my rarely used junk pokemon... :mad:
    Gaxsun Ruskia likes this.
  24. DHR-107

DHR-107 Robot from the Future
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcher

You know you can just play on the Sim... And then you don't have to worry about all this other stuff? Pretty much everything works ingame. I should know, I've used two of the mons you've stated above and both were pretty good (Tyrantrum and Eviolite Floette). The Sim auto sets to 31 IVs (No need for timely breeding) and allows you to pick whatever EVs/Moves/Nature you want pretty much instantly.

PokemonShowdown
    Gaxsun Ruskia likes this.
  25. garchomp7472

garchomp7472

thanks for this
    Gaxsun Ruskia and Seebass4 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)