OM Interviews (#26: OM room)

Sorry, I just really like this thread and was disappointed by the lack of activity I guess. Probably should have thought about that more before posting. :(

Also, I guess to bring something relevant to the discussion, is there anybody who people want to see get an interview?

EDIT AFTER SANQ'S POST: Ok, sorry if I seemed like I was being impatient. I just wasn't think through what I was doing. I feel really stupid now.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Sorry, I just really like this thread and was disappointed by the lack of activity I guess. Probably should have thought about that more before posting. :(

Also, I guess to bring something relevant to the discussion, is there anybody who people want to see get an interview?
literally read Snaquaza's post.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
#8 Nani Man, the Mono Leader!

Hey

Hey my man

How did you get into Pokemon?
Well, it all started back when I was a kid. I grew up watching the TV show and it naturally sparked a big interest. I stopped watching the TV show but started buying the games when Crystal released. And since then, I've bought ALL the games haha. I began competitive battling in Generation 4 upon release of Pokemon Diamond (glory days). I used to watch Marriland on YouTube Wi-Fi battle and it really got me interested. As for PS, I lost my cheating devices to Pokegen Pokemon and wanted to play again, so I was in search of a simulator and found this :)

How did you get into Monotype?
Well, I should first add that I quit competitive battling upon release of BW and took a break because I really didn't like OU anymore (only tier I played). With that said, I found PS and discovered OMs (other metagames), and was thrilled that their is other kinds of metagames. And luckily enough, Monotype was the OM of the month, so it gave me more reason to try it. Since then, I've loved it and haven't stopped playing haha

What's your favorite type in Monotype?
Has to be between Ghost and Steel. Ghost is underrated, but still is capable. The main thing I like most about it is the elemental core it can perform, with Gourgeist and Jellicent, and even Chandelure. It can be effective sometimes.

What's your favorite playstyle?
Has to be balanced. My personal preference is always balanced in any format I play tbh. I think balanced is probably the best in Monotype since diversity is limited and having a defensive core try cater to your weaknesses is usually the best.

What's the main difference between Monotype and say OU?
Well, in OU, people can focus on running much more diverse threats whether it be in defensive or offensive cores, whilst in Monotype, it is limited. In OU, those offensive or defensive threats can cater to whatever you want because you have a whole range of pokemon to choose from. However, in monotype, that is not the case. You are limited to your own type and must learn to cover for your types weaknesses, such as Steel running Heatran and so on. So in general, i'd say the main difference is in OU, you choose what you want to prepare for. In monotype, your type chooses what you have to prepare for. An example of something great in Monotype but mediocre in OU is Articuno for Flying users. It being the only pokemon (rip delibird) that has a neutrality to ice is very important for flying users, as it can sponge ice beams from most things due to its incredible special bulk. Another is Lanturn for water types, as you can already guess, because of the Volt Absorb ability and being relatively light to tank Grass Knot, it is also a great pokemon to have as a wall and heal bell support. Another is Torkoal too, for fire. It being the only rapid spinner is essential for fire teams to not be worn down by Stealth Rocks.

What advise would you give to players who want to get into Monotype?
I'd say to start with your favourite type so it can be more easy to learn at first. After that, I think trying all types eventually will make you far more knowledgeable in how they work and what they need to run, ultimately giving you good intuition for the meta. By then, you'd of found a type you are most comfortable with and you should stick with them :).

What do you think of the current state of the monotype metagame?
Unfortunately, it is not at its best as of this moment due to ORAS releasing a ton of new additions, all being game changing. We usually discuss a round of 'suspects' in the monotype thread, and once the community and myself have come to a fair decision, action is taken and the next round of suspects is up. We have a few more to go until the meta is relatively stable.

Which Pokemon would you like to ban personally?
At this point of time, Mega Metagross. We are discussing Greninja and Mega Sableye as well, though I am not convinced yet. We may hold a form of suspect tests for those two pokemon. Mega Medicham and Genesect may be the next victims. Simply because Mega Medicham's wallbreaking power is absurd, and Genesect's diversity makes Bug overwhelming at times.

Who's in your opinion the best Monotype player?
Back in Gen 5 monotype, it was probably TheMaverick, as he was always ranked #1 and had such a great w/l ratio. And as for now (Gen 6), I can't really decide since we have many great players now.

Who's in your opinion the most underrated Monotype player?
I can't really think of underrated players because most good ones usually stand out instantly, though I am leaning to Chimplup because of his great skills and highly innovative sets with a low-tier type like Rock. Same applies to Mast3rM1nd, with his grass team.

What do you currently think of Monotype's presence on Smogon?
Compared to before and now, I am really happy with how we have flourished in the OM subforum, with our biggest threads being the main thread and the viability rankings (shoutout to Anttya).

Have you played any other OMs, if so what did you think of them?
I've mainly played Tier Shift (Monotype Tier Shift, I should add :p) and it is really fun giving boosts to the lower-tier pokemon, making some not-so-popular pokemon be used on their monotype teams. I definitely want to try PU at some point. Looks really fun :)

What do you currently think of the state of the monotype room?
Staff wise, it is definitely great. We have a tanned team that are all nice people, so it really makes it enjoyable to be surrounded by them. Owning the room is really fun, as the community is awesome and are really great people with a lot of different personalities.

Do you have any final words?
yeah man, praise Monotyke!

truedrew

Banned deucer.
Nani Man Hi fren :) great interview although few things to note
What has made tan such an imporTANt part of monotyke
when will flying stop being op?

And when will you finally explain ur name it bothers me xd
gr8 read m8 have fun and continue to make monotyke room the funnest and best on PS!

INCLUDE MORE TAN IN TEH INTERVIEW XDXDXD

I can do that for you/him.

Nani is romaji (roman letters) for 何. This is Japanese for "what."

This means you can translate it to "What, Man." The comma doesn't need to be there if you don't want it to be.
"Nani" (Actually Naan Ee) in my native tongue, Tamil (Which, by the way, is the oldest surviving language in the world) means "I am (a) fly". There's even a movie by that name, where a fly plays the role of a superhero.

How does this make you feel Nani Man?

EV

Banned deucer.
Who's tanner, me or (rof) The Immortal?

If you could tan anyone on Smogon, who would it be?

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Can you please explain the tan joke? It's an inside joke and I'm not hip enough to get it

Would you be willing to do mantyke only no species clause tournaments and call it the Monotyke olympics? I'd enter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)