OM Interviews (#26: OM room)

Screw you unfixable
Give me a time, and a place, and a function, I'll give it to you no interruption.

expectations for Honeymoon? :)))
Some people are saying it's the end of the Ultraviolence era, but I am honestly so excited! Her jazz roots on this album are going to make me so happy. Can't wait!

also why do you allow this meme to exist please exterminate it immediately
The only acceptable memes are frog memes.

Hai fren =]
Hai :D

R u a guy or girl
Male ; irl girl.

I did finish it :o

What badge are u getting next
Admin.

Why are you so weird

How did you manage ten times more posts than me and 300% more badges by joining a year after me?
That's not how percentages work. Cacnea Unfixable has infinity-percent more badges than you, because you have 0, and anything multiplied by 0 is 0.

To make this on-topic: Unfixable, what's your favorite generation of Pokemon games? Also, did you prefer Stadium 2 to Battle Revolution, Colosseum to both of them, play none of the above, or what?

That's not how percentages work. Cacnea Unfixable has infinity-percent more badges than you, because you have 0, and anything multiplied by 0 is 0.
Science!

To make this on-topic: Unfixable, what's your favorite generation of Pokemon games? Also, did you prefer Stadium 2 to Battle Revolution, Colosseum to both of them, play none of the above, or what?
Gen 4; Revolution; Revolution!

Nerd.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
#4 Eevee General
The supreme leader

Hi!

Hey

How did you get into Pokemon? How did you come to get mods?
I got into Pokemon in elementary school right around when Red and Blue came out. My friend introduced it to us at school and it spread like wildfire. Pretty soon we were playing the games, watching the show, collecting toys, you name it. Competitive battling came to me when I first signed up on Smogon in 2009. I stumbled upon the analyses and I couldn't believe that there was this other side to Pokemon I'd never seen. After that I've been hooked, taking breaks here and there but never for long. I played standard tiers for a long time but I was too gimmicky to be good. My favorite was NU. Then one day I happened upon Other Metagames, particularly Balanced Hackmons. Finally I had the freedom to do (nearly) anything I wanted with abilities and moves. It was amazing. I played BH for a while but I struggled to keep up with the trends. I decided to try making my own OM and I started with Wonkymons. It did okay. My real breakthrough came with STABmons, though. I asked myself, "What if Pokemon could learn all moves that match their type?" That's how I see Other Metagames: It's a bunch of 'What Ifs.' What if we changed this? What if we did that? That's why I stayed around and people got to know me for my contributions.

I took a short-lived break at the beginning of last year when IRL stuff was getting heavy, but I came back, re-earned by CC badge, and shortly afterward received my mod badge. When Arcticblast left, Hollywood was the natural choice as the next senior member. And then when he decided to pull back from leading, it came to me and The Immortal. I really enjoy it, but it's not all that different from what I was already doing.

What's your biggest contribution on Smogon?
STABmons is an oldie but I do my best to keep it relevant. It is pretty much what helped propel me to where I am now. I'm also very happy with the Index. It's a great resource for all levels of users, new to veteran, and it has all the links you could ever need inside. Well it's a pain to keep up mostly.

Also, the PU subforum. That's a culmination of quite a bit of effort between various OM mods and other people. I made it a goal when TI and I got co-leads to get the subforum up. I didn't expect it would happen so soon though! I have to give credit to Hollywood, the PU leaders and their team, and a few smods and admins too. It was an effort with quite a few people, so I definitely don't claim it all myself.

What's your favorite Other Metagame?
Hm, well I still love STABmons, even if it can get a little stale. I like Mediocremons and played that quite a bit when it was OMotM. One of my favorites that was criminally underplayed was Suicide Cup Doubles. It completely turned the idea of battling on its head. I used to sit on the sim and ask for games lol. No one played it though.

What is the most creative Other Metagame you've seen recently?
Gods and Followers is a pretty big departure from what we normally see. Turnmons is creative, as is Linked. We've kind of hit a point where most ideas are just getting recycled. These types of metas are what I expect to see until the next generation. They're "high concept" and a bit harder to learn and master, but they have the creative aspect done for sure.

Why do you think players should get into Other Metagames?
Our biggest draw is we're a break from the standard formats. We offer more freedom to try new things, to explore scenarios that battlers wish were true. Do you wish your Keldeo could learn Water Spout? Play STABmons. Do you wish you could make Heatran Levitate? Try Almost Any Ability. Basically, we're the sandbox of Smogon. The only thing holding you back if your imagination. (And coding. Some things just can't be coded.

What's your advice for players that try to get into Other Metagames?
Try out the core metagames on the simulator first. Talk in the chat. Ask questions. Offer your own suggestions with sets or teams you have tried. Then if you want to make your own, browse the index to make sure something similar doesn't exist first. And it always helps to have feedback from veterans, so try PMing someone like unfixable or another badged user in OMs for advice.

What metagames would you like to see playable on the main server?
I would love to give a challenge-only option to one of the new, high-concept metagames like Gods and Followers to see how it performs. For a permanent ladder, I'd say Hidden Type or Averagemons, whichever is more popular. Those two are big draws even without a ladder, so I think the playerbase would love to see one.

What's your opinion on Other Metagames versus Pet Mods?
At first I wasn't interested in Pet Mods at all. I found them too personal. Arbitrary, even. Then I created Size Matters (the Pumpkaboo one) and it had modest success. So I tried again with Forme Freaks (the Rotom one) and it did well, too. So my opinion about pet mods changed. Now with how much Hidden OU has blown up, I think pet mods are the redheaded stepchild of Other Metas. Misunderstood. But they are just as legitimate. Even though you can do whatever you want, even more so than an OM, there are some "rules" in place. A good pet mod is hard to build. You have to have limits. Another big draw of pet mods is that the community help to shape the metagame. Users get to provide input and help shape the game. Most OM's don't do that.

Which Other Metagames activity surprised you?
Megas for All, hands down. That came out of nowhere!

What do you think of the Other Metagames submissions you get?
Most submissions aren't bad, but we see a lot of repeats. People take a concept from another OM and then try to add a few changes. Really it's just the same thing with a fresh coat of paint. It's rare, but there are submissions that come across and get approved almost immediately because there's nothing that needs changing. We try to make sure at least two moderators provide feedback, though. And now unfixable is helping out, so there are quite a few eyes on the process. Not everyone provides the same amount of feedback, but each submission will hear from us at some point.

Who is in your opinion the best OM battler?
Hm. Some people excel on the ladder and others do really well in tours. Lcass and Insanelegend are rated highly. Jeran is an awesome tour battler. Word of course is legendary. It's hard to say who the best is with so many factors in play.

Who's in your opinion the best OM Forum Contributor?
Well unfixable is everywhere. He's super committed and has the energy of the energizer bunny on a six-pack of Redbull. I think Snaquaza is doing a really good job, too. He has a few projects running and does a lot of work with coding and hosting new OMs.

Who's in your opinion the best Pokemon Showdown OM Contributor?
The same two users really! They're great.

What could be better about the Other Metagames forum?
I want to revamp our submission process but I think that will come with the next generation of Pokemon. I'd also like it if people stopped commenting with one-liners or "empty" posts. If you like something, use the Like feature. Also, don't bump something without actually adding to the conversation.

What's the largest controversy you've faced while moderating OMs?
Probably the Hackmons ladder event. The OM leadership decided it wasn't a metagame we wanted to have a permanent ladder because we didn't think it was a good representation of Other Metas. We got a lot of flak for it because it was very popular. I think the concession was giving it back a challenge option, plus it's in the daily tour line-up.

Could you give us a leak on what's going to happen next in Hidden OU?
There are still a lot of cool things on their way. I see something huge in Farfetch'd's future for instance. He is the mascot of the mod after all. The genies will probably shake things up. And Darmanitan will change completely. That's all I can say for now.

That was it! Thanks for letting me interview you, do you have any final words?
Do not free Mega big chill. I appreciate you interviewing me!

1. Do you like Cacnea?
  2. Do you like Lana Del Rey?
  3. Do you like Hoodie Allen?
  4. Do you like Latias?
  5. Do you like Mega Altaria?
  6. Do you like men?
  7. Do you like women?
  8. Do you like Joanna Kuchta?
  9. Do you like Eevee?
  10. Do you like NCIS?
  11. Do you like Parks and Rec?
  12. Do you like Lost?
  13. Do you like 30 Rock?
  14. Do you like Gregor the Overlander?
  15. Do you like wrestling?
  16. Do you like working out?
  17. Do you like biking?
  18. Do you like butt . 3 . ?
  19. Do you like Spikes Diggersby?
  20. Do you like our lord and savior, Thundurus?
  21. Do you like Togekiss in STABmons?
  22. Do you like IRC?
  23. Do you like Showdown?
  24. Do you like IRC or Showdown?
  25. Do you like the color red?
  26. Do you like the color black?
  27. Do you like dogs?
  28. Do you like cats?
  29. Do you like birds?
  30. Do you like fish?
  31. Do you like being an OM mod?
  32. Do you like being the OM leader (co)?
  33. Do you like owning a room on Showdown?
  34. Do you like Dylan O'Brien?
  35. Do you like newspapers?
  36. Do you like reading?
  37. Do you like your job?
  38. Do you like where you live?
  39. Do you like your name?
  40. Do you like Ice-types?
  41. Do you like Electric-types?
  42. Do you like Dragon-types?
  43. Do you like Normal-types?
  44. Do you like any other tiers besides STABmons?
  45. Do you like any mainstream tiers (OU, RU, UU, etc)?
  46. Do you like abbreviations?
  47. Do you like the US?
  48. Do you like me >:o?
  49. Do you like viewing submissions?
  50. Do you like reading spambots?
  51. Do you like orange chicken?
  52. Do you like Chinese food?
  53. Do you like Thai food?
  54. Do you like Japanese food?
  55. Do you like hamburgers?
  56. Do you like hot dogs?
  57. Do you like Pokemon?
  58. Do you like long hair or short hair?
  59. Do you like tall or short?
  60. Do you like skinny or big?
  61. Do you like Megan Trainor?
  62. Do you like all of these questions . 3 . ?
  63. Do you like smiley faces?
  64. Do you like . 3 . and what's your favorite of these kinda things?
  65. Do you like being a global driver?
  66. Do you like The Immortal ?
  67. Do you like laddering?
  68. Do you like the STABmons ladder?
  69. Do you like Kid Wizard?
  70. Do you like to sleep?
  71. Do you like to sing?
  72. Do you like to shower naked?
  73. Do you like to go dancing?
  74. Do you like to party?
  75. Do you like social medias?
  76. Do you like the OM hub?
  77. Do you like the roomintro?
  78. Do you like FU?
  79. Do you like running OMotM?
  80. Do you like computers or laptops more?
  81. Do you like Macs or Windows?
  82. Do you like changing avatars often?
  83. Do you like Skarmory?
  84. Do you like stall?
  85. Do you like hyperoffense?
  86. Do you like balance?
  87. Do you like OU?
  88. Do you like Greninja in STABmons?
  89. Do you like AAA?
  90. Do you like Michael Jackson?
  91. Do you like watching TV?
  92. Do you like that you're almost done?
  93. Do you like all these likes?
  94. Do you like that these are all yes or no?
  95. Do you like Other Metagames?
  96. Do you like strolling down the street?
  97. Do you like to skydive?
  98. Do you like to play any games bar Showdown?
  99. Do you like being interviewed?
  100. Do you like all of these questions?!

Asking the real questions here!

How does it feel to know your favorite normal-type rodent is outclassed by another normal type rodent?
How long before you get rid of TI and single handedly rule OMs?
What are your opinions on C&C for the OMs section?
Will you ever fix Unfixable?
If you think STABmons is stale why don't you spice things up with stall?
How many people sent threats of violence after the release of your new pet mod?

Are some of the OMotM polls rigged?

Are the OM mods taking steps to make more permanent OM ladders, because that's what I think we lack compared to the mainstream tiers?

Fire Stone, Leaf Stone, Water Stone, Thunder Stone, Ice Rock, Moss Rock, Night, Day or Happiness? Do not answer with Everstone to get likes IMO.

Last edited:

Are the OM mods taking steps to make more permanent OM ladders, because that's what I think we lack compared to the mainstream tiers?

Fire Stone, Leaf Stone, Water Stone, Thunder Stone, Ice Rock, Moss Rock, Dawn Stone, Dusk Stone or Happiness?
Dawn Stone, Dusk Stone, and Leaf Stone don't work on Eevee lol

To follow up on Uselesscrab 's question, why do you think some people have a negative view of OMs?

What do you think is overall the most balanced OM?

Do you think people will ever stop thinking hidden OU is real / a troll?

EV

Banned deucer.
I'm doing this one by itself because it's long.
  1. Do you like Cacnea? Competitively? No. Otherwise, it's okay.
  2. Do you like Lana Del Rey? Some of her songs
  3. Do you like Hoodie Allen? I don't know who this is :(
  4. Do you like Latias? Yeah
  5. Do you like Mega Altaria? B&
  6. Do you like men? Yes
  7. Do you like women? Yes
  8. Do you like Joanna Kuchta? Who?
  9. Do you like Eevee? Really?
  10. Do you like NCIS? It can be a bit melodramatic.
  11. Do you like Parks and Rec? Yes
  12. Do you like Lost? No
  13. Do you like 30 Rock? Yes!
  14. Do you like Gregor the Overlander? Wat
  15. Do you like wrestling? Depends with who...
  16. Do you like working out? Yes and no
  17. Do you like biking? Not really
  18. Do you like butt . 3 . ? Ha
  19. Do you like Spikes Diggersby? No way
  20. Do you like our lord and savior, Thundurus? Best mon
  21. Do you like Togekiss in STABmons? B&
  22. Do you like IRC? Yes
  23. Do you like Showdown? Yes
  24. Do you like IRC or Showdown? Yes
  25. Do you like the color red? I lust for it
  26. Do you like the color black? I hide in it
  27. Do you like dogs? Mine
  28. Do you like cats? Yes
  29. Do you like birds? Not as pets
  30. Do you like fish? Yes
  31. Do you like being an OM mod? Yes
  32. Do you like being the OM leader (co)? Yes
  33. Do you like owning a room on Showdown? Yes
  34. Do you like Dylan O'Brien? Again, who?
  35. Do you like newspapers? Online!
  36. Do you like reading? Yes
  37. Do you like your job? Yes
  38. Do you like where you live? I love it
  39. Do you like your name? Yes
  40. Do you like Ice-types? Only Fur Coat Dewgong
  41. Do you like Electric-types? Yes
  42. Do you like Dragon-types? Yes
  43. Do you like Normal-types? Boring
  44. Do you like any other tiers besides STABmons? Yes: MM, SCD, sometimes AAA and TS and Inverse
  45. Do you like any mainstream tiers (OU, RU, UU, etc)? I try to keep up to date but I'm not very good at standard
  46. Do you like abbreviations? Y
  47. Do you like the US? What a loaded question
  48. Do you like me >:o? Fuck no
  49. Do you like viewing submissions? A little bit of #25, #10, and #43 lol
  50. Do you like reading spambots? Yes! But I'm always too slow to spam clean them
  51. Do you like orange chicken? Yar
  52. Do you like Chinese food? Yes
  53. Do you like Thai food? Yes
  54. Do you like Japanese food? Sushi is my only experience with it
  55. Do you like hamburgers? Yes to a fault
  56. Do you like hot dogs? Should I answer this?
  57. Do you like Pokemon? No
  58. Do you like long hair or short hair? On me? Short but sometimes I grow it out a bit. On potential lover? Short.
  59. Do you like tall or short? Tall
  60. Do you like skinny or big? Somewhere in between
  61. Do you like Megan Trainor? Nooo
  62. Do you like all of these questions . 3 . ? See #48
  63. Do you like smiley faces? No :(
  64. Do you like . 3 . and what's your favorite of these kinda things? No, O_C|
  65. Do you like being a global driver? Yes but it's hard to actually play on the sim anymroe
  66. Do you like The Immortal ? Waaay yes
  67. Do you like laddering? Yes if I have the patience to wait, otherwise no
  68. Do you like the STABmons ladder? Yes
  69. Do you like Kid Wizard? He is probably my favorite user on Showdown
  70. Do you like to sleep? Yes
  71. Do you like to sing? Yes
  72. Do you like to shower naked? Yes among other things
  73. Do you like to go dancing? Fuck yeah! My drunk ass makes all the good moves
  74. Do you like to party? Yes
  75. Do you like social medias? No, tennisace is terribad
  76. Do you like the OM hub? Yes
  77. Do you like the roomintro? OMG who made this magnificent masterpiece of art?
  78. Do you like FU? Yes
  79. Do you like running OMotM? Yes but it's a group effort
  80. Do you like computers or laptops more? Both!
  81. Do you like Macs or Windows? Windows all the way
  82. Do you like changing avatars often? Yes otherwise I'll die
  83. Do you like Skarmory? Yes
  84. Do you like stall? No, fuck IL
  85. Do you like hyperoffense? Depends on meta
  86. Do you like balance? Yes, this is more my style
  87. Do you like OU? Yes
  88. Do you like Greninja in STABmons? Yes it's good
  89. Do you like AAA? Yes, Zapdos bae
  90. Do you like Michael Jackson? Eh, sure
  91. Do you like watching TV? Yes
  92. Do you like that you're almost done? YesYesYes
  93. Do you like all these likes? NoNoNo
  94. Do you like that these are all yes or no? I certainly didn't answer just yes/no
  95. Do you like Other Metagames? This is offensive
  96. Do you like strolling down the street? It's how I make my $$$
  97. Do you like to skydive? No way too scary! :(
  98. Do you like to play any games bar Showdown? Yes
  99. Do you like being interviewed? Yes
  100. Do you like all of these questions?! See #67

/takes cigarette break

EV

Banned deucer.
Did unfixable's 100 questions annoy the living hell out of you?
Nah, just the dead hell.
How do you think we can try to improve the perception of the OM community by Smogon as a whole?
It will take a community-wide effort. We have a bad rap for being immature, unfocused, uncompetitive, and more. Honestly, when I look at some of the posts in the forum, I can totally see why. But it won't take me or The Immortal deleting every sub-par or pointless comment (though we still do a fair amount of that,) it will take the users of this forum collectively changing their attitudes, posting habits, and in most cases, exercising restraint. And it's not just the forum that needs cleaning up. Our presence on Showdown isn't always top-notch either. If we want other players to respect us, why aren't we acting the part?

That's why users with a track record of good behavior and contributions get rewarded with badges and rank on the simulator: they are the standard we're looking for. If even half of our users tried half as hard, we'd be leaps and bounds ahead of where we are now.
If you were forced to evolve, which eeveelution?
Flareglacespumbsylvapjoleafeon.
How does it feel to know your favorite normal-type rodent is outclassed by another normal type rodent?
How long before you get rid of TI and single handedly rule OMs?
What are your opinions on C&C for the OMs section?
Will you ever fix Unfixable?
If you think STABmons is stale why don't you spice things up with stall?
How many people sent threats of violence after the release of your new pet mod?
What normal-type rodent are you referring to?
It will probably happen the other way around.
Love the idea. Where's the commitment from the base, though?
I've tried and tried. Nothing works.
Fuck stall.
A few randoms and Ghoul King.
Are you happy that simsims2800 is back?
Feels like he never left.
Why are you against the freeing of Mega Big Chill?
Technically it isn't not free.
#FREEMEGABIGCHILL
You're giving me brain freeze.
And is this mega big chill thing something I missed? What is it?
Ben 10 pet mod.
To follow up on Uselesscrab 's question, why do you think some people have a negative view of OMs?

What do you think is overall the most balanced OM?

Do you think people will ever stop thinking hidden OU is real / a troll?
I pretty much covered the first question to its fullest.
I'd say Tier Shift.
The world will never be in short supply of idiots, so no.
Sssh

They will

In the future

I'm from the future. Pokemon has 19 Generations now.
#13Goingon30
Are you ever not on PS on your job
If no, do you ever work
What's your job anyway, I forgot
Yes because it's hard to talk on the phone and battle and mod at the same time. But I'm on it usually half the time I'm at work.
Yes.
Reception/office work at a car dealership

Fire Stone, Leaf Stone, Water Stone, Thunder Stone, Ice Rock, Moss Rock, Night, Day or Happiness? Do not answer with Everstone to get likes IMO.
Nope! I don't vote or influence them at all since I initiate them and tally votes.
We always have our eyes open for a new ladder, but there are certain qualities we want fulfilled first.
All at the same time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)