XY OU omg new meta - Charizard X Stall Team

omg new meta

Charizard X deserves the obnoxiously large picture since it is so powerful.​

So I am pretty sick of OU at this point because the metagame revolves around 5 pokemon on hyper offense, so the same teams crop up over and over again (teambuilding and playing). Since I wanted to move away from that, I decided to try a defensive team. I still wanted to keep my team fresh and maybe throw in some creativity. This team started out with Sableye in tandem with Zard X! Only in the most recent iteration has Gliscor taken the slot over Sableye. It has gotten me req's twice and has gotten pretty far on the ladder, so I know it is quite viable. In the end, I've think I've done pretty well in accomplishing my goal by creating a Fire - Water - Grass / Dragon - Steel - Fairy core as one entity and using two unusual sets. I don't see myself being particularly interested in OU in the near future, so I wanted to share. Title is taking a crack that OU is so centered around offense that defensive teams are unheard of in the new meta.

Let's get to it:

Team Building Process

Reading this will give you a better idea on how the team works and how it came together.

So I started out with Sableye. The major appeal with Sableye was Prankster Taunt. At the time, full Baton Pass was all the rage, and Sableye's priority Taunt gave me a good chance to win against those teams. In addition, it acted as a good stall breaker, which is something I always try to include on my stall teams. Otherwise, stall vs stall is incredibly tedious, boring, and time-consuming. Lastly, Sableye was extremely good at keeping hazards down. It can block Rapid Spin (burns Excadrill before it attacks) as a ghost-type and it stops Defog with priority Taunt. Sableye had a lot of untapped potential.

Since Sableye relies upon spreading burns to do damage, I needed checks to the tiers offensive fire-types. Charizard X could check Charizard Y reliably and check Heatran. In addition, Charizard X can aid in Sableye's job in spreading burns. Quagsire checks Charizard X and can check SD Talonflame. It also gave a Toxic user.

Charizard X is weak to Dragon-types and strong EQ users. In general the current team was weak to that. Skarmory enters the team as a solution to that problem. Skarmory could lay down SR and and Defog. It was also my essential Mega-Pinsir counter (plz ban).

Chansey acts as a secondary check to Charizard Y, Landorus, and special Dragons (aka Lati@s). It also provided essential support with Aromatherapy to stop status from affecting my team too heavily. Chesnaught was included to stop Mega-Gyarados, check Aegislash, and provide Spikes.

This is the first standard version of the team I rolled with. I switched out Quagsire for Azumarill. The team was extremely weak to Keldeo and other Fighting-types. Azumarill could check Keldeo while still being able to check Charizard X. It also added an additional check to dragons. Ferrothorn replaced Chesnaught as the teams Grass-type because it could still check Gyarados and DD Tyranitar, but could also check Azumarill. A second Steel-type took a lot of pressure off of Skarmory.

This is the current interation of the team, with Gliscor over Sableye. Gliscor can stallbreak just like Sableye, although sometimes not as well. Gliscor was added because Knock Off Landorus just destroyed my team. Aegislash and Mawile were also problems and Gliscor can check both of those as well as Landorus. With Deoxys-S / Deoxys-D nearing the ban and full Baton Pass banned, Sableye's Prankster Taunt is not as necessary anymore and has less importance.

Now onto the team!

The Team

Charizard-Mega-X (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SDef / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
Charizard X is the first part of the FWG / DFS core. First I'll talk about the set. Dragon Claw is used to act as a consistent source of damage output, and Earthquake is used to stop Heatran from being able to absorb my burns. Combined with Sableye, nothing could escape the burns. Will-o-Wisp, special defence investment, and roost make Charizard X incredibly difficult to take down. I gave Charizard X as much special defense as possible to stop Charizard Y and Thundurus reliably. The 56 speed EV's put Charizard at 250 speed, one point above neutral nature max speed Mega-Heracross and Mega -Scizor, which means I can burn or attack before they take me down.

Now onto how this set plays. The goal of Charizard X is to burn as much shit as possible and take down a few Pokemon here and there with Dragon Claw + Earthquake. Charizard X serves as a serious deterent out there to some of the biggest threats in the metagame, which is the main reason it is one this team. Electric types (paticularly Thundurus), Bisharp, SD Scizor, Aegislash, Mega-Mawile, Rotom-W, Charizard Y, etc. It also stops Taunt + Will-o-Wisp Pokemon from stallbreaking. Against teams with Landorus-I, I sometimes have delayed Mega-Evolution to counter Landorus, especially when I ran Sableye. In general the special bulk + Will-o-Wisp makes it a hard pokemon to take down and its damage output with Tough Claws Dragon Claw allows it to finish off weakened Pokemon on the opposing team.

Azumarill (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk / Perish Song
Meet defensive Azumarill! Azumarill has been the glue that has been holding this team together. The EV's are used for mixed bulk, with an emphasis on defense so as to help with Charizard's that use Earthquake and Fighting-types. 176 defensive EV's get the extra point, while the special defense prevents Keldeo from 2HKO'ing me with Hydro Pump after SR + 1 layer of Spikes. Like the other Pokemon on this team, Azumarill aims to spread status. Scald is to help spread burns and break Substitutes, and Toxic is there to rack up damage. Fun fact: this generation non-huge power Azumarill has more special attack than physical attack! Since this generation we reverted back to the old sleep mechanics, RestTalk is a much more reliable means of recovery. Recently, I have started using Perish Song over Sleep Talk for end-game pokemon and CM Keldeo.

As I already mentioned Azumarill is here to stop Charizard X and Keldeo. Funnily enough you have to run Thick Fat in order to stop Charizard X, otherwise +1 Flare Blitz 2HKO's Azumarill lol. I would love to run Sap Sipper for Breloom and Ferrothorn, but whatever. Other threats that Azumarill stop include Conkeldurr, Greninja, Crawdaunt, mixed Dragons, and endgame SD Mega-Scizor. Basically Azumarill spreads status around, stops a couple of specific threats, and prevents last-mon sweeps with Perish Song (some baton pass too).

FYI, Azumarill has a bit of a wider movepool than one would think. I've tried Whirlpool over Scald to Perish Trap stuff, but it didn't do it often enough and potential burns are too good to give up. Also, not being able to break the weakest of Substitutes was big downside. Azumarill also gets Soak, which can take the STAB away from Pokemon and allows it to toxic steel and poison types, but again you can't break substitutes.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Rest
Ferrothorn is the last member of the dual FWG / DFS core. Ferrothorn is the team's Stealth Rock setter and it does that job wonderfully. Ferrothorn has great resists and mixed bulk, so it can set up Stealth Rock on both physically and specially offensive pokemon. It can even set up SR against defogging Latias or weakened Excadrill. I use both Power Whip and Gyro Ball to make sure Ferrothorn can check both offensive water-types and dragon-types. Rest is an unusual choice, but I much prefer it over Leech Seed. Rest means Ferrothorn can jump back right in the game even if weakened by powerful attacks, or if it is burned by something like Rotom-W or a random Scald. With Rest, Ferrothorn can be in it for the long haul and survive into the late game.

Ferrothorn acts as the team's primary stop to Dragon Dance Tyranitar and Gyarados. In addition, Ferrothorn is the team's secondary Steel-type, so it takes a lot of pressure off of Skarmory if a team is specifically targeting Skarm. It also is a secondary check to Lati@s, which stops Chansey from getting overwhelmed.​

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Aromatherapy​

It shouldn't be a surprise to see Chansey here, it is practically mandatory on XY stall teams. I use standard Chansey, there is nothing paticularly special about this set. Seismic Toss is Chansey's best option to output damage and break Substitutes. Toxic is also a good source of damage and Softboiled is reliable recovery. Aromatherapy is used to wake up Ferrothorn and Azumarill after they have rested and sort out any other status problems like a burn on Ferrothorn or a Toxic on Charizard X. It conflicts with Gliscor's Poison Heal, but I haven't found it to be too significant of an issue. I just have to weigh carefully on the possibility that Gliscor may get burned. I guess the inverse is true, what if Gliscor gets burned before Poison Heal? I still have a chance. Bold nature is used for Lati@s' Psyshocks and Bisharp's Pursuit.

Chansey basically stops special threats right in there tracks and provides Aromatherapy support. Basically one of the only stops to Landorus and Zard Y in the tier, nuff said.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 204 SDef / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Roost
Specially defensive Gliscor is another new set that I have been trying out. So basically Landorus-I was a massive problem to face because I was overly reliant on Chansey to stop it. So if Landorus used Knock Off, some other special attacker used Knock Off, or if I was weakened by Pursuit + hazards I would just flat out lose. Aegislash was also a pain to face. I have replaced Sableye with Gliscor because of this. Earthquake is Gliscor's best option for damage output and hits Steel-types hard (Mawile, Aegislash, etc.). Taunt + Toxic is to stallbreak just like Sableye did. Roost is for reliable recovery and to make sure Landorus or Aegislash don't 2HKO me. 244 HP EV's gets the maximum recovery from Poison Heal since 352 is divisible by 8. 60 Speed EV's puts me at 241 speed, which speed creeps all the pokemon outspeeding neutral max speed base 70's by 1 point (ex. Zapdos). I used to run 244 HP / 244 SDef / 16 Spe for extra special bulk but the speed has been really helpful.

So Gliscor's stops Aegislash and Landorus, but what else does it do? As mentioned before, Gliscor stallbreaks. It isn't as good as Sableye because Toxic doesn't effect Steel or Poison-type pokemon, but it is still able to get the job done. Taunt is invaluable for this team. Taunt is another way of preventing entry hazards from coming on my side of the field and it also prevents the opponent from using Defog. That means a lot of pressure is taken off Skarmory and Ferrothorn to get hazards off my side or keep SR on the opposing side. Earthquake coming off decent speed lets me check Mawile, Bisharp, Heatran, etc. Gliscor can also check pokemon reliant on EQ (ex. Excadrill), some opposing stallbreakers, and some Fighting-types. Overall it checks a lot more pokemon than Sableye, more relevant ones at that (Aegislash and Landorus vs Mega-Medicham) which why it is on the team.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Counter
- Roost
- Defog
Skarmory is the last member of the team and probably the most important. IMO, this is the only set that Skarmory can really run in the metagame, otherwise it gets way to easily overran by physical attackers. First I'll get into why Counter is on the set compared to other stuff. Simply put, if you don't put Counter on Skarmory you will just be overrun by the threats you are supposed to check. Brave Bird doesn't do enough damage to the stuff you are supposed to "counter" and they end up killing you. All Whirlwind does is just remove a pokemon from the field, which means it can still come in latter to mess you up. Mega-Pinsir is a perfect example of this phenomenon (again plz ban). You switch out of one of your pokes and the opposing Mega-Pinsir SD's. Only have Whirlwind? Well prepare to take 50% and pray that you have an opportunity to Roost, because when it happens again you will be dead. A similar situation happens with Diggersby and Bisharp. Counter is necessary to make sure you pose a threat to them, if they attack you OHKO.

Taunt is there for two reasons. First, it helps with using Counter because the opponent is forced to attack instead of avoiding it with a non-damaging move. The second reason is that Taunt helps with using Defog. Again, Taunt prevents opponents from setting up hazards in the first place. So if I use Taunt against a hazard setter, then there is no need for me to Defog which would get rid of my own hazards and risk a Defiant boost. It also prevents those ridiculous situations were an SR user can outstall Skarmory's Defog since SR has more pp than Defog (8 more). Roost is for reliable recovery. The EV's are to give Skarmory the maximum amount of physical bulk possible, minus the 12 Speed EV's (well really the 8 extra EV's) that speed creep opposing min speed Skarmory.

Skarmory's role on the team is to check top tier physical threats and be the teams Defogger. It can also be troublesome to stall with Taunt from its decent speed.

Honorable Mention:

This little guy deserves a mention because it was on my team for sometime.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Recover​

Sableye's Prankster Taunt allowed me to stop Baton Pass and Deoxys-D or Deoxys-S leads. With the recent banning of full baton pass teams, Sableye's Prankster Taunt has lost some of its value. In addition, a large majority of Deoxys-D's run mental herb nowadays, so it still ends getting hazards up. In addition, Sableye acted as pretty much dead weight because it was unable to stop any sort of offensive threat outside of mega medicham and conkeldurr. For these reasons Sableye was dropped from my team.

Anyway taunt + will-o-wisp allowed it to stall break. Foul Play was used over Knock Off because it could actually damage and threaten dangerous switchin's like Talonflame, Zard X, Latios, or Landorus. Recover was used for, well, recovery and to stay alive. Max defense was used to have the best chance of spin blocking Excadrill and stopping Conkeldurr / Medicham. In the beginning I used a Sableye with a slight balance to special defense because it handle Defoggers a little better, but it wasn't worth. Overall, Sableye formed a good burn core with Charizard X and stopped some really annoying threats. But it was dropped for Gliscor because there are much bigger threats around.

Threatlist

That's it for the team, but to give you a better idea of how it plays I went down to B in the OU viability rankings (really that is all you see nowadays). Ignore the []'s please. I am too lazy to get rid of the formatting
S Rank

Aegislash - EQ w/ Gliscor or Charizard X. I can burn it and then outstall with Chansey.
Charizard (Mega-X) - Toxic w/ Azumarill. Last resort is forcing Flare Blitz on Ferrothorn or Chansey
Deoxys-D - Kill it with Zard X Dclaw and try to get Skarmory in to Defog. Sableye's Taunt
Deoxys-S - Same as Deo-D
Landorus - Toxic with Gliscor and Chansey. Last resort is unevolved Charizard
Thundurus - Charizard X and Chansey. Ferrothorn and Gliscor have the possibility to check it. Physical variants are much harder to check if given the Defog boost, but much less common and I could still play around it with Zard.

A+ Rank

Azumarill - Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Sometimes Azumarill. Might burn with Zard.
Bisharp - Charizard x and Skarmory. Counters kills after a Defog, though severely weakend
Clefable - Get Azumarill in to Persh Song. Prevent it from setting up with Gliscor or Skarmory
Excadrill - EQ with Gliscor or Counter with Skarmory
[] Garchomp - Counter with Skarmory and gryo ball with Ferrothorn. Try to Toxic
[] Greninja - Toxic and Seismic Toss with Chansey. Toxic with Azumarill. Ferrothorn kills w/ p-whip
[] Gyarados (Mega) - Power Whip w/ Ferrothorn and w/ Counter Skarmory. Toxic with Azumarill
[] Keldeo - Toxic with Azumarill. Come in on choice locked attacks
[] Mawile (Mega) - Counter with Skarmory and burn with Charizard. Broken threat lol
Pinsir (Mega) - Counter with Skarmory. broken threat lol
[] Scizor (Mega) - Taunt + Counter with Skarmory, burn w/ Zard, Perish Song w/ Azu (lategame)
Talonflame - Toxic or Scald with Azumarill. Dragon Claw with Charizard. Weak to this but not too threating. Almost no one use Bulk Up + Taunt. Force BB or Flare Blitz on Chansey
[] Tyranitar - Counter with Skarmory or attack with Ferrothorn. Mixed set I burn w/ Zard
[] Tyranitar (Mega) - Use Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball. Try to Counter with Skarmory.
[] Venusaur (Mega) - Try to burn it with Charizard X. Chansey, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Gliscor can all annoy it to some degree depending on what set it runs.

A Rank

[] Charizard (Mega-Y) - Toxic w/ Chansey and Dragon Claw w/ Zard X
[] Dragonite - Counter with Skarmory and Gyro Ball with Ferrothorn. Toxic / Psong with Azumarill
[] Ferrothorn - Taunt w/ Skarmory and Gliscor. Burn w/ Zard or Azumarill (chance lure). Stall w/ Ferro
[] Gengar - Dragon Claw or burn with Zard X. Scald with Azumarill. One of the biggest threats
[] Heatran - EQ w/ Zard or Gliscor, Seismic Toss Chansey, and Scald w/ Azumarill
[] Hippowdon - Taunt w/ Skarmory and Gliscor. Toxic w/ somebody. Zard X burn
[] Landorus-T - Taunt w/ Skarmory and Gliscor. Toxic w/ somebody. Zard X burn
[] Mandibuzz - Taunt + Toxic w/ Gliscor, Toxic w/ somebody, Zard X Dragon Claw
[] Latias - Ferrothorn, Chansey, and sometimes Azumarill. Stop Defog by repeatedly setting up SR
[] Latios - Ferrothorn and Chansey. Stop Defog by repeatedly setting up SR
[] Rotom-W - Toxic w/ somebody. Chansey, Zard X, Ferrothorn (no particular order)
Terrakion - Soft check with Skarmory and Gliscor. Azumarill can Scald it. Most of them are Scarf or Sash in this metagame, which means they hit less hard. If Life Orb or banded its a bigger threat.

A- Rank

Breloom - Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball and Skarmory. Isn't as a big of a threat since most are Sashed w/ no Fighting-stab except Mach Punch
[]Chansey - Taunt w/ Gliscor and Skarmory
[] Diggersby - Counter with Skarmory. If Sash'ed Power Whip with Ferrothorn
[] Gliscor - Taunt w/ Gliscor (hope to outspeed) and block with Skarmory.
[] Kyurem-B - Gyro Ball w/ Ferrothorn and Seismic Toss / Toxic w/ Chansey. Stay at high health with Chansey and Ferrothorn to stop it.
[] Mamoswine - Conter w/ Skarmory and Gyro Ball w/ Ferrothorn. Sometimes Scald with Azumarill
[] Manaphy - Toxic with Chansey or Power Whip w/ Ferrothorn. Endgame CM version I use Perish Song on Azumarill
[] Scolipede - Taunt w/ Gliscor or Skarmory. Perish Song w/ Azumarill
[] Skarmory - Taunt w/ Gliscor or Skarmory. Burn with Charizard or Azumarill (lure)

B+ Rank

[] Amoonguss - Chansey and Ferrothorn usually stop it. I have to burn with Zard. Skarmory can too w/ Taunt
[] Garchomp (Mega) - Toxic w/ Gliscor. No one uses this thing lol
Gardevoir (Mega) - EQ w/ Gliscor or Zard. Toxic w/ Chansey. Gyro Ball w/ Ferrothorn Can be a threat if played well
[] Gyarados - Ferrothorn and Counter w/ Skarmory. Perish Song or Toxic with Azumarill
[] Kabutops - Power Whip with Ferrothorn or Toxic with Skarmory
[] Medicham (Mega) - Try to use Sturdy Counter with Skarmory or Toxic with Azumarill. If you don't have Sableye or Slowbro you are pretty much done. broken threat not broken cuz its checked by other broken stuff lol
[] Politoed - Toxic with Azumarill or Chansey
[] Quagsire - Toxic with Azumarill, Chansey, or Gliscor
[] Scizor - Skarmory and Charizard X shut it down
[] Slowbro - Toxic it with Azumarill or Chansey
[] Zapdos - Toxic it with Chansey or Gliscor. I stop the Defog with Gliscor's Taunt

B Rank

[] Chesnaught - Toxic it Gliscor or Azumarill. Taunt and Conuter it with Skarmory
[] Conkeldurr - Stall it out with Azumarill with Toxic or Counter with Skarmory. Kinda of a threat but it is uncommon and doesn't really break through Azumarill.
[] Gothitelle - Fuck this bullshit lol broken threat that selectively take down counters. Toxic it and hit it with Dragon Claw from Charizard X
[] Heracross (Mega) - Burn it or revenge kill with Charzard X. Counter with Skarmory. Soft counter with Azumarill and Gliscor and try to Toxic it. A threat because it deals a lot of damage, but is uncommon

[] Kingdra - Ferrothorn and Toxic with Chansey
[] Lucario - Scald with Azumarill and Counter it with Skarmory I guess. Soft check with Gliscor's EQ. I haven't came across Lucario in months of playing OU so whatever
[] Manectric (Mega) - EQ with Charzard X or Toxic with Chansey
[] Mew - Burn it and stall it with Charizard or Gliscor. Can hit it with Dragon Claw too but doesn't really kill
[] Suicune - Power Whip on Ferrothorn and Perish Song on Azumarill in the endgame
Sylveon - Toxic with Gliscor or Chansey. Taunt with Gliscor or Skarmory to prevent healing
Tornadus-T - Burn with Charizard X and Gyro Ball with Ferrothorn. It's annoying but it doesn't have very high damage output and is uncommon.

Conclusion

I am pretty satisfied overall with this stall team. I think I accomplished my goal of making a viable defensive team while still being fresh to play and breaking the mold of the usual mega-venu + heatran teams. This is probably going to be my last "major" team for xy ou for the near future. I can't see XY OU being enjoyable for the near future because of the stupidly powerful pokemon that are still allowed in the tier that nuke anything that isn't hyper offense. The game is still going to revolve around zard x, zard y, aegislash, mawile, landorus, mega-pinsir, thundurus, and other powerhouse (azumarill, diggersby, mega medicham, kyurem-b). I mean seriously all of those pokemon outside of thundurus have attacking stats of 150 or more accounting for their boosting abilities lol. Anyway that's my mini-rant about xy ou and I hope you enjoyed my team!

shoutouts to...

Subject 18 TGMD Halcyon. Trinitrotoluene Nova for helping with my projects
aaaaaaaaaaandddddddddddddddd
scotti ShootingStarmie - for playing me in mega mons ou
and tomycase on deviantart for the charizard x picture

Importable
Charizard-Mega-X (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Rest
- Perish Song

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Rest

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Aromatherapy

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 204 SpD / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Roost

Skarmory @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Counter
- Roost
- Defog

Last edited:

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Doughboy

Thanks for posting this team, it's nice to see other players appreciating stall in the current meta. Have you tried using Knock Off over Toxic on Gliscor? I think this helps your team against Landorus-I by removing it's Life Orb that it desperately relies on. Knock Off can also give you an advantage against other stall teams by removing crucial items such as Leftovers recovery, Eviolite, etc. and offensive teams by reducing the damage of wallbreakers with Life Orb, Choice Band, Specs. I feel like Toxic is not needed on Gliscor, with Chansey and Azumarill both carrying Toxic, Scald on Azumarill, and Charizard with Will-o-Wisp, you already have several ways of inflicting status and getting residual damage. Rocky Helmet instead of Leftovers on Ferrothorn is also a consideration. You have Rest to get you back to full, so unless you find Leftovers recovery a necessity, Rocky Helmet is a cool option to get more residual damage on physical attackers. This is really just a personal preference though and not a necessary change.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Ah a team by Doughboy gotta rate it.

Wel, this team is looking darn solid, so this isn't gonna be a long one :P
One major thing that stands out to me is LO terrakion. Take a look at how azu&skarm fare:

252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 176+ Def Azumarill: 188-224 (46.5 - 55.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 146-173 (43.7 - 51.7%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Hp ice handles gliscor, and the rest of the team is basically history :/ I'd love to introduce a more solid check to it but holy shit this fker 2hko's everything. I should use this thing more >_> honestly the only super solid counter there even is is max defense venusaur or max defense hippo, and neither fit into your team.

Another thing I also see could really rip this team apart is SD mega heracross. The set consisting of SD, Close Combat, Bullet Seed, and Pin Missle (the one I run :o ) really just rips this team apart. I also run jolly, which is something to watch out for, so char-x can't just come in and wisp. After Rocks, Skarm is cleanly OHKO'd by a close combat, and mega heracross can even just pin missile once to avoid the counter (Counter only reflects back the last hit, not all 5) Ferrothorn dies, azu loses to bullet seed, gliscor loses to bullet seed (although it can get a toxic off), Chansey is history and pretty sure char-x loses to CC as well.

Normally, I'd recommend a defensive mew somewhere, but it needs 152 speed evs to outpace jolly mega heracross, and 252/104+ isn't nearly enough to take on LO terrakion. So watch out for stronk fighting types not named keldeo basically :I

Another thing that concerns me is how easily BU Taunt talonflame literally just 6-0's this team :/ I'm not even joking it literally 6-0's.
Gliscor, Chansey, Ferrothorn, and even Azu just fall to Taunt and become set up fodder:
0 SpA Azumarill Scald vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 104-126 (28.9 - 35%) -- 7.6% chance to 3HKO

Char-x is slower and cannot really touch it after just one bulk up:
0 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. +1 248 HP / 8 Def Talonflame: 126-148 (35 - 41.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

And yeah everything else more or less just loses ;_;

I really can't help you too much with the megacross problem cuz megacross is such a fucking boss, but outside of that i'd like you to try hippowdon over gliscor.
This is basically the only way I can help your terrakion/BU taunt talon problem without breaking your previous core too much. The biggest concern here is the problem landorus will pose with the removal of gliscor, which is what I really don't like, but atleast you won't be 6-0'd by landorus with chansey around. You will be totally 6-0'd by bulk up taunt talon with out hippo tho :/

Again, its up to you to check lando or counter BU taunt talon/LO terrak, because you can still somewhat handle lando (its more common) but the rarer things totally mess you up.
However, hippo does bring rocks, so that frees up a slot on ferrothorn to leech seed or something.

So uh, there isn't too much else for me to say about the team, gl with it!

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

152 defense required to avoid 2hko from terrak CC:
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 152+ Def Hippowdon: 175-208 (41.6 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Hey, love the team. Seeing as I love stall/defensive teams, I'll be sure to give it whirl.

Right off the bat, however…

I know you covered it in your threat list, but Kyurem-Black is a massive threat to this team. Its presence forces you to play extremely conservatively with Ferrothorn. Chansey's flat out 2HKO'd by Outrage, so I wouldn't really recommend using it unless absolutely necessary. Then again, no team is without its Achilles Heel.

omg the amazing new meta. It's too op.

Anyways, I really like the concept of this team as it uses my favorite Azumarill set with a twist to be able to perfectly handle Mega Charizard X Also, I'm with what Nova said. SDef Gliscor does't need Toxic and pretty much prefers Knock Off in every other way. There really isn't much to say on this team except to say how good it is. Ok time to steal this team and ladder with it, Nice team.

I'll turn this more into a real rate. Like BasedGod Srn said, Terrakion (that's me!) pretty much wrecks this team. A Swords Dance Life Orb set is basically your worst nightmare. Some ways I can see to avoid that from happening is to keep Skarm as high in HP as possible, or try to squeeze in Max HP Max Def Hippowdon in there somewhere. Great bulk, reliable recovery and such.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream (Sand Force if you don't want residual damage on Char X for 5 turns)
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Your Choice
- Your Choice

Toxic can be an option to still take off damage on Terrakion just in case it may have an Air Balloon, or Rock Slide which breaks the Balloon and hits Charizard Y, Talonflame, and Mega Pinsir.

Last edited:
Just curious, if you're going with azumarill why wouldn't you use sap sipper to completely shut down both charizard formes? I know you have a Chansey on this team, but that would be a pretty big surprise factor.
He mentioned in the RMT that azumarill is 2hkod by +1 char x without thick fat. Sap sipper is better in pretty much every other way, but walling char x is too hard to pass up.

Hello, nice team you got there! It's very well constructed, so any changes may not be beneficial in all areas.

Your main issue with this team is truly Talonflame and Terrakion. Thus, Rocky Helmet Slowbro seems to replace Azumarill perfectly. Of course, you'll have to compromise a little efficiency in walling Charizard-X for this change. Without Slowbro, wallbreaker Talonflame easily defeats your team. You could also try using Magic Coat with Slowbro, it's an excellent way of putting a stop to common hazard leads. Losing Azumarill means you lack decent ways of dealing with some Clefable sets. Trying to best Clefable more effectively with this change doesn't seem possible without drastic changes. Another dangerous threat to your team is Calm Mind Mega Gardevoir, you really don't have anything to beat it optimally. I hope I helped!

Last edited:
I'm seconding Nova's suggestion to add Knock Off to Gliscor to aid against Landorus. Also, I really dislike the use of Rest on Ferrothorn. I know it provides instant recovery, however, there are times when Chansey cannot heal it with Aromatherapy. It leaves Ferrothorn easily set up on and practically useless until it wakes up, which can be a real hassle. I get that Ferrothorn does enjoy the instant recovery, but I don't feel Rest is the option to go. Instead of Rest, I'm going to recommend using Leech Seed instead. Leech Seed fulfills a similar purpose: heal Ferrothorn. However, Leech Seed is more reliable, making setup sweepers wary of setting up and also continually racking up damage, which is amazing, honestly. Ferrothorn's Leech Seed extends to its teammates as well, and on Pokemon with high HP like Chansey, it's pretty much a better Rest. Rest is nice for Will-O-Wisp's, but Aromatherapy cures this just as well as Rest. Overall, though, this is an amazing team Doughboy and very creative!

Summary:
  • Toxic -----> Knock Off
  • Rest -----> Leech Seed

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I dont know why people are suggesting knock off over toxic. Against opposing stall teams, it's going to be difficult to get chansey or azumarill to spread toxic around [as efficiently as Gliscor] as they dont have the ability to taunt or deal significant damage to force switches. Gliscor excels at spreading poison because of its ability to taunt defensive steel types and easily take their hits and knock off/eq to deal somewhat consistent damage. I would replace Earthquake with Knock off as you just need to wear down opposing pokemon. you dont need to deal big chunks with this team. EQ woudl help with things like mawile, but between ferro/skarm/zard it shouldnt be too big of a problem. they also shouldn't be risking you having EQ unless you reveal knock off already.

Additionally, I would give ferrothorn 164 Defense EVs so you are guaranteed to not be 2hko'd by mega pinsir's Return.

I dont know why people are suggesting knock off over toxic. Against opposing stall teams, it's going to be difficult to get chansey or azumarill to spread toxic around [as efficiently as Gliscor] as they dont have the ability to taunt or deal significant damage to force switches. Gliscor excels at spreading poison because of its ability to taunt defensive steel types and easily take their hits and knock off/eq to deal somewhat consistent damage. I would replace Earthquake with Knock off as you just need to wear down opposing pokemon. you dont need to deal big chunks with this team. EQ woudl help with things like mawile, but between ferro/skarm/zard it shouldnt be too big of a problem. they also shouldn't be risking you having EQ unless you reveal knock off already.

Additionally, I would give ferrothorn 164 Defense EVs so you are guaranteed to not be 2hko'd by mega pinsir's Return.
The reason I would support adding Knock Off is so that you can remove important items such as Chansey's Eviolite and Landorus' Life Orb. I do think Toxic is great, but I just didn't know where else Knock Off could be fit.

You might want to put Protect over Taunt so that you don't get burned before you get poisoned by the Toxic Orb, because then you have to switch in Chansey and Aromatherapy. Protect also helps stalling with Toxic.

Hey there, any team with CharX is a 10/10, even though you are using stall with it, I forgive you.

Now my real issue here is how you chose to deal with Keldeo (and fighting types), mainly subbing out Quagsire with Azumarill and in return opening up a huge gap for set up users, both special and physical to take down one or a couple of your mons and thus enabling once secured threats to run rampant, something apparently everyone has noticed.

Talonflame SDs on Skarmory, Clefable will return to CM once the opponent knows who exactly needs to be taken out, Kabutops can also SD under the Rain and if the opponent runs Low Kick well then damn. Not to mention the threat of Nasty Plot Thundrus who at plus 2 can afford the luxury of using NVE attacks to 2hko you and Landrous with CM as well. Sure you can manage to kill them eventually but then again the opponent will be using them to open gaps in your team which will surely exist after any of the above are done.

If CharX is to hold his position as the mega slot, one version can be restoring Quagsire in place of Azumarill, and replacing Ferrothorn with Sylveon.

Sylveon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 SpD / 4 Def
Calm Nature

- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice

You can then remove Heal Bell on Chansey and give it SR to compensate.

Last edited:

Seconding the idea to replace EQ with Knock Off. Gliscor just doesn't really need EQ, the main threats that Sped Gliscor walls don't even care about EQ. Taunt stops opposing Heatran's SR and no one is gonna leave a non-Balloon Heatran in anyway. Taunt + Knock Off slowly, but surely defeats most Aegislash sets. Additionally, Knock Off is useful against stallbreaker Gengar (who actually beats your team if your Zard-X has low HP.) You should really use Knock Off + Toxic Gliscor in my opinion.

Last edited:
How did you deal with Gengar ?

You can't toxic it, you can't burn it (substitute), Gliscor and Chansey can't hit it (so it switch in and set a sub), and it outspeed the whole team.

Last edited:
Gengar have 41.8% chance to 2HKO this MegaZardX with Sludge Bomb (+ chance to be poisonned). Hard to switch in if it's behind a sub (even more is you couldn't defog).

Gengar put the team in a very difficult situation (i tried). So I'm asking what to do :o Is there a real solution, or is it a flaw of the team ?

MGardevoir

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 80 SpD Azumarill: 250-295 (61.8 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 204 SpD Mega Charizard X: 211-249 (58.7 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 128 SpD Ferrothorn: 248-292 (70.4 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 244 HP / 204 SpD Gliscor: 228-268 (64.7 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 209-247 (62.5 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 207-244 (29.4 - 34.6%) -- 8.4% chance to 3HKO

u decide the set, taunt or cmind.

You have a really interesting team and Azu set, and ye charizard-x stall is pretty good, cause of its great typing it fits and also provides great offensive pressure for stall teams which imo is neccessary in this meta.

I don't really agree with rest while its innovative I feel leech would still be more beneficial. I find leech very useful in just wearing down things in general and giving that much needed recovery ferro needs. It stops a lot of things from geting free switches too. I can see situations where rest can come in hand but I feel leech will outlive those scenarios. If you don't use rest then I guess you can also replace aromatherapy on chansey since thats the only real thing youre using it for. Aromatherapy also hurts your gliscor since you cant freely switch into stasus again / Knock off problems which really will hurt on the long run.

Im a big fan of spdef Gliscor and I feel knock off gliscor acts like a great stall breaker too and can hit those annoying balloon aegis which would otherwise wall.

Also how do you deal with a Sub Keld? Is that what Perish song is for?

It's a pretty cool team though so props.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
hot team

the thing I don't like about "standard" XY stall builds is that they are way too passive. This obviously isn't an issue when you have a great match up or you face a not-so-great player, but when you battle decent opponents it gives them a ton of room to outplay you which is very bad considering the shakiness of stall in XY. I'm not really a fan of your Azumarill set either. I feel like it's the most passive Pokemon on your team, alongside Chansey, but Chansey is very important to those stall builds because it gives them something to fall back on against strong Special attackers like Charizard Y, so it passes. I think that you should change Azumarill to something more aggressive. Aggressive play can come in many forms, and I think that a perfect fit for your team would be Calm Mind Suicune. Not only is it extremely similar to Azumarill in what it checks, but it gives you a very dangerous win condition against many teams. A lot of teams are at risk of being swept by Suicune after very little residual damage which gives you something to force the opponent into very obvious plays, and puts them on their heels, giving you heavy momentum. It also helps a lot against opposing Stall which could give you severe issues. While this might make you a little weaker to some threats, I believe that it greatly improves your team overall.

As for other things, I dunno... I'm not a big fan of Ferro and Skarm on the same team. They feel pretty redundant. I think you could at least try Amoonguss over Ferro for the Grass type while also adding a Fighting resist and Regenerator shenanigans. I also think you could try Fire Punch over Earthquake on Zard X; with SpD EQ Gliscor and a RestTalk Water I don't think you're particularly weak to Heatran while Fire Punch gives you a better tool against Mawile and Bisharp while also smashing the fuck out of Pinsir and Heracross.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

hot team

the thing I don't like about "standard" XY stall builds is that they are way too passive. This obviously isn't an issue when you have a great match up or you face a not-so-great player, but when you battle decent opponents it gives them a ton of room to outplay you which is very bad considering the shakiness of stall in XY. I'm not really a fan of your Azumarill set either. I feel like it's the most passive Pokemon on your team, alongside Chansey, but Chansey is very important to those stall builds because it gives them something to fall back on against strong Special attackers like Charizard Y, so it passes. I think that you should change Azumarill to something more aggressive. Aggressive play can come in many forms, and I think that a perfect fit for your team would be Calm Mind Suicune. Not only is it extremely similar to Azumarill in what it checks, but it gives you a very dangerous win condition against many teams. A lot of teams are at risk of being swept by Suicune after very little residual damage which gives you something to force the opponent into very obvious plays, and puts them on their heels, giving you heavy momentum. It also helps a lot against opposing Stall which could give you severe issues. While this might make you a little weaker to some threats, I believe that it greatly improves your team overall.

As for other things, I dunno... I'm not a big fan of Ferro and Skarm on the same team. They feel pretty redundant. I think you could at least try Amoonguss over Ferro for the Grass type while also adding a Fighting resist and Regenerator shenanigans. I also think you could try Fire Punch over Earthquake on Zard X; with SpD EQ Gliscor and a RestTalk Water I don't think you're particularly weak to Heatran while Fire Punch gives you a better tool against Mawile and Bisharp while also smashing the fuck out of Pinsir and Heracross.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Without Azumaril, Charizard-X sets up all over his team and sweeps. Suicune has no way of walling it. As I said before, Slowbro seems to be the most viable replacement against Azumarill as it can also beat Charizard-X and also provide a way of walling Mega Medicham, Terakion and Talonflame. The team seems to have no way of beating standard Taunt Mega Gardevoir, this is a problem most Zard-X stall teams without Aegislash share.

I recommend using a Slowbro set of:

Slowbro @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Toxic
- Slack Off

This set is standard for stall teams (emphasis on Toxic over Thunderwave.) Psyshock allows you to beat sub CM Keldeo, Toxic and Rocky Helmet can stop Charizard-X from rampaging through your team. Additionally, the helmet really makes it nasty for opposing Talonflames, courtesy of combined recoil.

Last edited:
Yeah sorry Jirachee
Now that I've actually tested the team, I'm still in love with it, but I do have a few suggestions...

To begin with, here's my suggestion for a gliscor set...

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 204 SDef / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Protect
- Toxic
- Roost

Protect is useful for scouting to see if the opponent may carry HP ice or an Ice-type coverage move, while also allowing it to Poison itself safely without the opponent laying any other status on gliscor. This would happen more often than you'd think while using this team as chansey's aromatherapy would heal off gliscor...
Knock off>earthquake, as knock off can make people think twice about switching into gliscor (can they do without their item?) while also allowing gliscor to check gengar.
Next, for Ferrothorn, I recommend the following set-

(the gif is too big ;-;)

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet(?)
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Protect is there for the somewhat the same reason as gliscor, to scout for 4x effective moves while also allowing turn-to-turn recovery with leftovers and Leech seed. Yes, Ferrothorn's Power whip is cool and all, but I like recovering massive amounts of health per turn rather than having an offensive move on my defensive mon, especially since grass as an offensive typing is not so great.
Rocky Helmet is kinda gimmicky, yes, but it can help sometimes by chipping down the health of physical sweepers, leaving them open to charizard that can KO them more reliably. Then again, leftovers recovery is better so it's up to you.

Lastly, Azumarril. It's dead weight. It's the least suited to be a wall in the whole team, and it, like ferrothorn, relies on chansey too much for recovery.
I'm seconding the idea of replacing azumarril with quagsire, as it can deal with mons that like to set up in the face of stall.

I'll repeat, I'm a noob, forgive me if I'm wrong, and this is my opinion.

EDIT:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-144972825
Skip to turn 55, primarily because I'm afraid my plays may give you cancer. Also have realised this team doesn't have a solid answer to another big ou staller, mega venusaur, even when in the hands of an obvious noob.

Last edited:
Doughboy - I want to say I was running a very similar core to yours, ranking decently up the ladder with stall, but this set may take the cake. I've been running:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 56 SpA / 204 SpD
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Defog
- Brave Bird

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 5 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Flamethrower

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Haze

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock

It's similar but different as I think your team is more efficient. The reason for Quagsire and Clefable was the prominence of BP teams that plagued the meta like a bad STD. I guess you combated it with Sableye, I used them for Unaware Quag as a physical wall and Unaware CM Clef as a special wall (works surprisingly well especially with Flamethrower as my Aegi killer).

I will say that defensive Azu is awesome and was a staple of my Mega-Venu stall team. However my build was slightly different - Sap Sipper is an awesome surprise and really wrecked Breloom...

I'm going to echo the Ferrothorn argument here. I think rest is creative, but I've been a big fan of the Leech Seed/Thunder Wave set with rocky helmet. I think I may try out the rest set to see how it works, but Leech Seed is an awesome sub.

I like your philosophy with Skarm and I think I'm going to try it out. Forcing the counter makes a lot of sense and its creative and dangerous at the same time...

My final question is with CharX - why dragon claw over dragon pulse? Pulse has less PP yes, but has a higher base damage for the STAB and takes advantage of CharX's higher natural SpA (84 Attack, 109 Special Attack). Is it because of certain mons that CharX is designed to take out are easier to do so with a Physical Attack?

My final question is with CharX - why dragon claw over dragon pulse? Pulse has less PP yes, but has a higher base damage for the STAB and takes advantage of CharX's higher natural SpA (84 Attack, 109 Special Attack). Is it because of certain mons that CharX is designed to take out are easier to do so with a Physical Attack?
You might want to check your facts again. Mega charizard X has 130 attack and 130 spA. It has tough claws to boost contact moves so it's an essential 169 attack.
You're talking about Normal zard iirc.

Unbirthday

TOP QUALITY POSTS
Hi, most of the important stuff has already been pointed out by the posters before me, but one change I urge you to try out is Refresh + Protect over Rest + Sleep Talk/Perish Song on Azumarill. With Azumarill often getting burnt by either Charizard X's Will-O-Wisp or Keldeo's Scald, being able to free yourself of debilitating status without being forced to Rest and then wasting a valuable Aromatherapy PP sounds incredibly useful for something that often pivots in and out of status such as Azumarill. Protect also has the added bonus of being able to scout the moves of Choiced Pokemon which can really come in handy when you're confronted with a dangerous wallbreaker such as CB Terrakion and can't risk to switch the wrong Pokemon in. All in all, between Azumarill shrugging off status with much greater ease and gaining the ability to scout your opponent's next move, Refresh + Protect sounds like something that's at least worth testing, even if you lose the instant health regeneration provided by Rest.

EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic
- Refresh
- Protect

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)