1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Join our new official channel, Victory Road, on PS! Read this for more information.
  3. The Smogcast Request forum is now open for those wanting to talk competitive 'mons on Smogon's Twitch!
  4. Ever find yourself missing out on the latest Smogon articles? We've now got a subscription service, so the newest articles (of your choice) are delivered right to your inbox! Check it out here.

On and Off Site VGC Learning Resources

Discussion in 'VGC' started by TheMantyke, Feb 23, 2014.

1. TheMantyke

TheMantyke ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤ ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤ ▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ - "gundie gaino"
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Hello! If you're interested in learning the ranks of VGC, there are a lot of videos to watch and articles to read to get a handle on the format. Here, I'll be showing off some of the best on site content and off site content for learning the tier and becoming a stronger player

On Site Content:
    Smogon's Strategy Dex- Smogon's on site strategy dex has been revamped heavily lately and finally has tabbed browing for VGC analyses! Nearly forty different analysis are now on site. Check there to see if a Pokemon you're interested in has an analysis. A majority of relevant VGC threats have been given analysis with a handful of stragglers. If there isn't any info there, check out...

WIP Individual Pokemon Analysis- Here you can see analyses that are WIP, offer your input, or even write one yourself. If a Pokemon's relevant to the metagame and hasn't made it on site yet, you'll find it here.

Off Site Content:

General Information

Play! Pokemon Event Page-
    For information about the tournament series, event locations, and prizes, the official Pokemon website has you covered.

Videos

Pokemon Academy (Alex Ogloza)
    - Pokemon Academy features some excellent tutorials for understanding team building, playing, and the metagame. It's an excellent resource for players new and old looking to learn through video tutorials

Cybertron Productions- Two time national champion and 3rd place worlds finisher Aaron Cybertron Zheng organizes this channel where he frequently posts introductory tutorials, laddering adventures, and team reports.

McMuffinMason- Though the channel has been abandoned for some time, muffinhead has created some really great introductory tutorials that, despite having a completely different format now, still have helpful underlying principles that hold true today.

Baz Anderson - An experienced VGC player from the UK who uploads a lot of battle videos and commentary.

Articles

NuggetBridge
    - Nugget Bridge is the largest VGC community out there. Found by former Smogon staff, Nugget Bridge frequently publishes in depth Tournament reports and other insightful articles.

Eggy Emporium- Eggy Emporium is a site that posts tournament reports, usage statistics, and some excellent tournament information from both the east and the west.

imouto Island - Despite looking like a blog run by a buncha weebs, this blog contains interesting posts and tournament reports written by skilled VGC players. Some of the sets they post set big metagame trends (such as Double Kick Terrakion), so if you want to stay ahead of the metagame you might want to read up.

Pokemon.com - The official Pokemon website has some surprisingly good articles for beginners and experts alike, along with official statistics on what is and isn't used in VGC. Be sure to also check out the Global Battle Union while you're there!

Braverius' Blog - Run by user: Braverius, this blog compiles teams of 6. If you're ever stuck and don't know what to use, try snatching a team from here and see how it goes.

Podcasts

Team Magma- Among some articles and videos, Team Magma operates a series of podcasts on VGC which are both very entertaining and insightful. Give them a listen when you have the time.

Subreddits

These subreddits have graciously allowed us to advertise live tournaments and have actively shown interest in the VGC metagame.

/r/stunfisk
    /r/doublade
    /r/pokemonleague3ds

I know of a channel or website that has some cool VGC content. Can it be added to this list?
    If you know of any other neat resources, post them here. Others and I can give them a look through and if the quality's up to snuff, I'll be happy to add it to this first post.

Hope this helps newer players! Forgive any typos or repetitive language, this was made somewhat hastily.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2015
  2. TheMantyke

is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Update the link to Eggy Emporium; they're no long a blogspot and have launched a full blown site. Congratulations to you guys on the launch!
  3. NOVED

NOVED
    is a Community Contributor

Adding? They're already both listed though :s
  4. Xlstevo

Xlstevo

Oh thanks, I did not notice. My apologize.
  5. GiraGoomy

GiraGoomy when you see a good meme
    is a Tutor

I think a nice add could be Baz Anderson's Channel. He's a super solid player and uploads some nice battle videos every week or so in which he explains most moves made for newer players.

Edit: Another website I've also used for team-building inspiration is Oldmanvgc. This website features a large variety of Japanese VGC Teams, in-depth reports and an overall view of the Japanese VGC Metagame.
  6. lucariojr

lucariojr MS State Pokemon!!!
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

added some stuff (finally!!)!!!

(they are baz's channel and the imoutos)
    Xlstevo likes this.
  7. Baz Anderson

Baz Anderson

Thanks for including me. It's a relatively new channel I guess, but I've just reached 1000 subscribers.

For any Smogon viewers who might not know me; I got 9th at Worlds in 2013, won the Nugget Bridge Invitational in 2014 and now in 2015 just recently won the first ever European Regional in The Netherlands.

I upload mainly Showdown Live sessions, but have the whole Regional run/Invitational run, etc. uploaded with commentary as well.
  8. GiraGoomy

GiraGoomy when you see a good meme
    is a Tutor

I know this is pointless but since I probably have OCD i'd just like to point out that Pokemon Academy and Alex Ogloza both redirect to the same channels. So the Pokemon Acadamy one can probably be removed since he doesn't go by that name anymore (sorry :S).
    qsns likes this.
  9. TheMantyke

This page has been updated to better show off our new on site content and with a little bit more offsite content
  10. lucariojr

lucariojr MS State Pokemon!!!
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

added the official site (again) and Braverius's blog.
    TheMantyke likes this.
  11. Ksh13

Ksh13
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderator

Although you don't directly learn anything from it, I definetly feel like the Team Magma teambuilder should be mentioned somewhere. It is incredibly helpful for teambuilding, pointing out common weaknesses in your team, as well as showing you what offensive type coverage you have.
    ProjectTitan313 and GiraGoomy like this.
  12. Fer

Fer

I recommend adding James Baek's channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJbbTSmMzaDhJg2uz6elyPA He is a worlds level competitor, and has daily quality uploads.

EDIT: Also, http://www.oldmanvgc.com/ has a lot of translations of team reports from Japan (sometimes from Korea too, but I've seen mostly Japanese reports there).

http://vgcwithhats.com/ is another cool vgc blog, and they post not only team reports, but also a lot of informational pieces, like metagame reviews, comparing different pokemon used for similar roles, guides on how to start at vgc, and so on.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    lucariojr and GiraGoomy like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)