[on site] Move Restriction Guide

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
That Body Slam is supposed to be Hyper Voice. I do not know if anyone else spotted this, but just thought I might post it.
Good catch! Thanks!

Seems good to me. Then again, my level of comprehension is high enough that I never take notes in class, so...
Heh, I know what you mean. Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT: I've been doing a lot of research on Mirror Move and Copycat. I may also take a look at Me First, Sleep Talk, etc., at which point I may split that info off a separate 'moves that call other moves' guide, since it doesn't really belong here.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Notes:
• When Encore targets most Call Moves (moves that use other moves), the Call Move is fixed. Examples include Me First, Metronome, and Sleep Talk. However, when Sleep Talk is fixed, every time it executes it will be unable to call any of the Sleep Talker's other moves due to the fix on Sleep Talk. Hence, Sleep Talk will fail every time it is executed.
So if I use Metronome, and it uses Swords Dance, when I get Encored, do I use Metronome, and Metronome will always pick Swords Dance again?

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
So if I use Metronome, and it uses Swords Dance, when I get Encored, do I use Metronome, and Metronome will always pick Swords Dance again?
No. You'll use Metronome, but Metronome will still pick a random move. I believe that the reason Sleep Talk behaves this way is that it uses a similar mechanism for choosing the move as you, the player, would. For instance, Sleep Talk can't pick a move that's out of PP. Similarly, when Sleep Talk is encored, it can only attempt to choose Sleep Talk, the same restriction placed on you, the player. Metronome, on the other hand, doesn't (and cannot) use moves that the Pokémon knows. Hence, Metronome's result is unaffected by Encore.

I can see where my description's a bit vague. Thanks for catching that.

Confirmed. When a Pokémon loses one Choice Item and gains another at the same time, its move locks don't release.
has this been tested where the tricker is slower than the poke?

because im almost positive i remember changing moves after being tricked something

it might be that someone tricked a choice band onto my choice band something or other.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
How is this looking? Is it ready for HTMLization?
This guide looks good. I'd say it's ready for HTMLization.
Well, I've been stalling on the Imprison and Heal Block sections. Once it's HTML-ized, is it more-or-less final? If so, I'd like to research and write those two sections first. Regardless, I'll get off my ass and write them, but I won't have access to PBR until Monday, so I'll either need to wait until then or I'll need someone to help me research these two moves.

Also, I'm thinking of removing the sections that don't have much to do with move restriction (aka Mirror Move and Copycat, etc.) and creating a new thread for those. What are your opinions on that?

has this been tested where the tricker is slower than the poke?

because im almost positive i remember changing moves after being tricked something

it might be that someone tricked a choice band onto my choice band something or other.
I'll check this with both two of the same Choice Item and two different Choice Items and update the guide accordingly.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
To TMN: could you make your changes directly in the SCMS? If not, we can get someone to make the changes on the site for you.
Sure thing. I don't have much experience with HTML and such, but I'm sure it won't take long to learn. I can't seem to access the SCMS right now, but I assume that's a temporary thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)